• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 9-6 Queen Classic, 2007
  • Truck Make & Model:2009, F - 350 deisel dually King ranch
  • Name (Public):Hopper

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

As far as I am concerned about the right to bare arms. 6 more canadian soldiers killed in Afganistan within the last week.
Whats up with that ??????????

#142 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 447 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

Guess I missed the point of your post Mark but what does the war in Afghanistan and the loss of our troops have to do with concealed carry in US National Parks?

George
Twisp, WA
Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#143 OFFLINE   Hopper

Hopper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 9-6 Queen Classic, 2007
  • Truck Make & Model:2009, F - 350 deisel dually King ranch
  • Name (Public):Hopper

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

Its all about the guns and the use of them. Where ever it is.

#144 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Iron Pony @ Dec 14 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have read all the reply's in this thread. And feel as though almost every aspect of gun ownership has been covered. I am just going to add a few things. As a former member of the USN special warfare unit UDT 22 during the southeast asia war games . And as My wife is a sargent with the local PD. I think I might have something to add. I know of no police officers that have a problem with CC by responcible citizens. Properly licensed to do so. But I think every Law enforcement professional would agree with me on this. Get all the training you can. Even if it means taking the security guard course. Practice, Practice, and even more Practice! Learn every thing you can about the CC laws in your state and any where you might travel. And learn everything you can about the proper use of deadly force that you can. One other thing on what to do if you are pulled over by a PO while you have a gun in your vehicle. When the officer approches your vehicle place your arms through the spokes on your steering wheel. And keep them there. This sends a unwritten signal to the Officer that 1 You have a gun in your vehicle. and 2 That you are no threat to the officer. The Officer may ask if you have a weapon at this point. And where in the vehicle it is, and do you have a permit Ext. Not all Officers are going to know what that means but most do. It might save you some headaches latter. And this might sound silly but, If you are going to carry a gun. Never ever carry a unloaded gun. Have it ready with safety on, no round in the chamber. But contrary to what others have said. You really don't want to use a gun to threaten. The fact that it has worked out in the past for some. Doesn't mean it will for you if the time comes. There are some REAL crazy folks out there not to mention that they might be using mind altering substances. So Train, Learn, Practice carry a loaded gun and hope against hope that you never have to use it. Thanks Iron Pony
iron pony brings up an extremly good point... Even for a minor traffic stop be sure and tell the officer that you have a ccp and are carrying. They will find out when they pull up your drivers license so be upfront and polite..I believe in TX the law reads you have to show your ccp on a traffic stop even before you show your license. The tx members can confirm????

Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#145 OFFLINE   trails2004

trails2004

Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 AM
  • Camper Brand:Hallmark Cuchara XL
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram D2500

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

Ya know if you don't like it- Stay home- it is really that simple. Responsible individuals who have obtained a CCW and received training have taken the steps to ensure they understand the difference from right and wrong.

#146 OFFLINE   WKelly

WKelly

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 8'10
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D/A
  • Name (Public):Willy

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

You know I have been kind of following this discussion although I can't say I have read every entry. But the whole point is for legal concealed carry in national parks. But if you have a concealed handgun who would know, and I am sure they don't search everyone going into all of the national parks. So what is the big deal. If someone had concealed carry permits, I am sure they wouldn't advertise it on their truck or person so how would they know if that individual had a concealed handgun or not.
So I really think the law is stupid and a moot point.

Just my 2 cents
2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC LB D/A
2001 8'10" Snow River

#147 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (WKelly @ Dec 22 2008, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know I have been kind of following this discussion although I can't say I have read every entry. But the whole point is for legal concealed carry in national parks. But if you have a concealed handgun who would know, and I am sure they don't search everyone going into all of the national parks. So what is the big deal. If someone had concealed carry permits, I am sure they wouldn't advertise it on their truck or person so how would they know if that individual had a concealed handgun or not.
So I really think the law is stupid and a moot point.

Just my 2 cents

before the law was changed you were breaking the law by having it. If you had to use it inside the park, for four legged defense or "serious social disagreements" you were in violation , regardless of the justification. Now , you dont have to explain your actions from the position of a lawbreaker to start with.
Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#148 OFFLINE   WKelly

WKelly

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 8'10
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D/A
  • Name (Public):Willy

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (ralphl @ Dec 19 2008, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
before the law was changed you were breaking the law by having it. If you had to use it inside the park, for four legged defense or "serious social disagreements" you were in violation , regardless of the justification. Now , you dont have to explain your actions from the position of a lawbreaker to start with.

If my life were in danger I wouldn't worry about whether it were legal or not. And if you are licensed to carry what are you suppose to do if you enter a park stop and ask the ranger to hold your weapon for you. I don't think that is going to happen.
2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC LB D/A
2001 8'10" Snow River

#149 OFFLINE   Dave Henderson

Dave Henderson

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1130
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC Sierra 4x4, 4 door, dually, torklift Superhitchw/43" extention, tow a 22 foot Sea Ray
  • Name (Public):Dave Henderson

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

Hi folx ~

Ralph suggested that I post to this thread as I am a working Park Ranger currently in Yosemite National Park.

First let me give the standard disclaimer that I am not speaking for the US Department of the Interior, nor the National Park Service and am simply posting my personal opinion here as a private citizen.

Short version is that I have no problem with folks carrying their weapons into the park - after all, as the old (and very trite) addage goes, 'it ain't guns that kill people it's people that kill people' - having said that I first entered California law enforcement in 1978 and retired (retirement #1) after 22 years of service - now on my second career (read that as working on retirement #2), I have yet to shoot any one and of course hope that I never do.

Good, honest people are generally responsible and those of us in the camping community are even more so it seems - I am an avid defender of our rights as Americans including the one to keep and bear arms.. this would include the right to carry a firearm in some of our most treasured areas, our National parks.

From a legal perspective, each park has three basic sets of laws assimilated - the codified laws of the states in which they are located, the Code of Federal Regulations and the park Superintendants Compendium (this contains special rules and guidelines issued by the individual park superintendant.

Allowing weapons into National parks has always been a mixed bag - especially here in Yosemite where not only are we a destination park, but we have three highways which pass through the park used by travelers who are not necessisarily planning on stopping here. Our gates all have signs (and have had for years) which advise visitors to "declare weapons" - most folks abide by this advisory and compy. Truth is, criminals aren't gonna "declare" squat - after all rules are for honest folks right .. not the bad guys.

Every now and then we get some knucklehead who thinks the rules don't apply to him/her and our Law Enforcement Rangers find a weapon.. most often the weapon is secured for the duration of the visitors visit - sometimes it is confiscated.. depends on the circumstance ie: used in crime, discharged in park, hunting violation etc., ad nauseum.

Nice thing about National parks is most bad guys don't come here to commit crimes, let alone enjoy the wonders we offer our visitors - they (the scumbags) prefer to wallow in the cities and prey on citizens there, do thier drugs and perfect the art of being degenerate.

The laws may have changed for the better but my suggestion is to always check with the park rangers at the gates concerning local regulations and abide by them until this thing get worked out.. once we get the "official word" which still hasn't happened here yet, I will pass it on in my capacity as a forum member.

Just an old cops two bits worth.. oh yeah - please don't shoot that bear.. s/he just wants yer peanut butter. tongue.gif

Merry Christmas all ~

~Dave

QUOTE (ralphl @ Dec 22 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dave since you brought it up ,,, what is a park rangers opinion of the law. I know you can't speak for the department but your personal opinions would be interesting. you might want to respond on that thread, or, say nothing. We would understand

Dave and Sarah Henderson
1999 GMC Sierra 4x4, crew cab dually
Torklift SuperHitch Class V - 43" extention
2001 Lance 1130 loaded to the gills

Towing - 2004 Sea Ray 200SD
Other camper - 1999 HR, 35' straight body

#150 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hey Dave thanks for posting. You sound like a really nice guy hope to meet you some day. Again thanks for the post.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In