• NATCOA Members
  • 1020 posts
  • Local time: 01:43 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

If I talked to 3 owners and 2 had leaking problems, does that mean out of 1,000 built, over 600 of those leak? That would be a pretty high percentage. As I said I was impressed with the camper, but even with no slide out, I've been told you need a dually. Doug--don't you use 2 X4's in the construction? The steps into the cabover are the coolest feature.
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#22 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 07:43 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:51 PM

If I talked to 3 owners and 2 had leaking problems, does that mean out of 1,000 built, over 600 of those leak? That would be a pretty high percentage. As I said I was impressed with the camper, but even with no slide out, I've been told you need a dually. Doug--don't you use 2 X4's in the construction? The steps into the cabover are the coolest feature.

My suggestion is that you cannot extrapolate like that with any statistical significance. I looked at one used Lance camper and talked to it's owner in Nebraska. It was the one who had horrendous slide sagging issues and we were all telling him to go to the Lance factory and they will take care of you. Do they all have that problem? Of course not.

Dually or no dually is dependant on which model you have. Mine was on a 2500, but was an 8.5SC...one of the two mdw60's friend is looking at. The other, a 9.5SC is going to be a bit heavier, and I would tend to think should be on a 3500SRW or bigger. S&S also makes a cheaper/lighter series (or did anyway) called the Bitteroot (as opposed the more luxurious and heavy Ponderosa series) so what truck is appropriate totally depends on which model.
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#23 OFFLINE   mdw60

mdw60

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Local time: 02:43 PM
  • Interests:CAMPING WITH BOATING, FISHING, HIKING AND BIKING
  • Camper Brand:05' Snowriver 10.2
  • Truck Make & Model:02 Chevy crewcab dully 6.0
  • Name (Public):Mark

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:58 PM

I believe that the 8.5 is heavy. I saw in the website it was *2800 dry. so you add up gear,food and clothes easy at #3500.
I think its best to be carry on 3500 trucks for saftly reason!
Also those 8.5 and 9.5 sure is great builded.
If my SR is gone, I will go for the S&S 9.5 or a 8.5 Arrow Northstar.
Im glad both have good customer service....

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)
'02 Tracker Pro Angler 16

#24 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 07:43 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:38 AM

My tag says 2840, WET (including 30 galons of fresh water and the 2 - 20 pound propane tanks) and base model. We didn't have any of the heavy options so it was pretty close to accurate. That is unpacked though, so truth be told, it would be BETTER on a 3500 SRW (which is what the RV Buyers sruvival guide book listed.) A 2500 is pushing it, but it worked pretty well for us with the right truck upgrades.
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#25 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Director-Manufacture Relations

• Manufacturers (Aux Equip)
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, Skiing, Skydiving, Baseball, Football. Chattin with the boys.
  • Name (Public):Jay Taylor

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

Doug is a terrific guy. He brought S&S back to the front of the pack. That ain't easy folks. We need 25 more like him out there. All campers really cater to the specific needs of their customers. That's why it pays to look around. If S&S suites your particular needs you will be happy. As far as standing by their product S & S does.
I hear from Camper owners from all over the world daily, it's my job. I don't hear complaints on S&S and believe me I hear them all.
Doug has worked very hard in bringing S&S back to the forefront.
Bill Penny is another one that has done plenty to keep our industry on the rise. His growth has not come from unhappy customers.
He's a fellow with an attitude that you don't have a problem we have a problem and he will always be by your side in getting a resolution.
Doug, Bill, Rex, Bob and many others are going to be the ones that will help rebuid our industry after all this nonsense is over.
To all of you thanks for all your efforts and being there.
My company could not survive if was not for there business practices and the respect they have brought to our industry.
Jay

#26 OFFLINE   v10scott

v10scott

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:ATV'ing, jetskiing, geo-caching, camping, ham radio,
  • Camper Brand:2007 S&S 9FBSC
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Scott

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I bought an S&S last summer and picked it up at the factory. I had them install a Stablelift on it and they had no problems making that addition.
I have been very pleased with this camper, the floorplan is great. It is a Bitteroot 9FBSC model, the last year they made that one. I have not had any problems with it, and even if there were problems it will be easily fixed due to the fact that Doug and his crew have made the design easy to work on.
We haven't camped in it when the temperature was colder than 20 degrees, it stayed very comfortable for us. I would not hesitate to recommend S&S to anyone.

#27 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

I have seen quite a few S & S TC's up here in Alberta (with Alberta plates on them and the bubble windows). It probably has something to do with the proximety of the factory to the BC/AB (Canada) border.

#28 OFFLINE   racewave

racewave

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 12:43 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

In mid june I bought a new 2007 S&S 8' bitteroot montana from Five Star RV in Denver. Now have the camper here at home in Florida. Very pleased with the purchase. Very few issues or problems. The propane leak detector would not pass the self test and was replaced by Five Star in about five minutes at the time of sale. The fresh water tank drain valve had a slow drip when I got home and was replaced with a new one from Lowes for about five dollars. Since it was on the lot at five star for some time before I purchased I decided to touch up a couple of spots of caulking. That was it. Very nice camper, factory very helpful when called.

#29 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

S&S is a great camper I am sure you are going to be very happy with it. Doug and the guys and gals at the factory are great down to earth people. Enjoy your camper.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#30 OFFLINE   GalinAZ

GalinAZ

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AZ
  • Camper Brand:S&S Ponderosa 9.5
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado HD 2500
  • Name (Public):Gal in AZ

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

From a lady's point of view, I think our S&S Ponderosa 9.5' is the very best! It's solid and well-constructed, no gaps or cheap laminate to gather dust and dirt. Lots of space and well thought out storage so I don't have everything sitting out on the counters. We looked at a lot and I fell for the S&S over all the others, unless you really want a slide, but that would have required a larger truck for us. S&S has responded to me via email about nitpicky questions usually the same day.

#31 OFFLINE   mdw60

mdw60

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:CAMPING WITH BOATING, FISHING, HIKING AND BIKING
  • Camper Brand:05' Snowriver 10.2
  • Truck Make & Model:02 Chevy crewcab dully 6.0
  • Name (Public):Mark

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:51 PM

I have not heard from ED yet, so I might email him soon.

I went to Five star RV to have my Snowriver fix, while waiting I went on look at the 11FS S&S. (the side door one). I love the floorplan but not the shower. the hot and cold facket is not inside the shower...if I need to adj the temp, I gotta reach for it. Other than that its a awesome camper.

If my SR is gone for any reason, I might go for 9.5 S&S or one of those 10' northenlite. I wonder if I really want the 11fs S&S will Doug be willing to change the shower set up?

Anyway thanks for all your respond here...and Doug too... :fing32:

Mark

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)
'02 Tracker Pro Angler 16

#32 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • Local time: 12:43 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

I think Doug is amenable to some alterations. The thing I like about Doug is the obvious pride he takes in the workmanship. Very much like Bob Mehrer & Rex Willett in that respect.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In