• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • Interests:CAMPING WITH BOATING, FISHING, HIKING AND BIKING
  • Camper Brand:05' Snowriver 10.2
  • Truck Make & Model:02 Chevy crewcab dully 6.0
  • Name (Public):Mark

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:08 AM

I have a friend who lives in Maryland, had stop by to visit New York. He said he stop by saw bunch of TCs on that lot. I believe he was at East End campers?
His wife, Carol and ED took a tour there and said he liked S&S Ponderosa 8.5...he also didnt trust any dealers and ask me few question. I did answer mostly but not this...Is the S&S customer service good? I know they build pretty good TCs, but am not sure about thier service. thanks for your time....

mark

PS no body beats Snowriver or Northstars :fing32:

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)
'02 Tracker Pro Angler 16

#2 OFFLINE   Bellbuoy

Bellbuoy

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 166 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Camper Brand:2006 Host Yukon w/ tent option
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge D3500

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:18 AM

You generraly don't hear much about S&S customer service. Probably because their units are very well built. The dealer here in Indiana refers to them as a tank.

#3 Guest_mr camper_*

Guest_mr camper_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

Customer service is our number 1 goal. If the customer isn't happy with our campers they don't tell thier friends and we just don't sell campers. If you would want some of our current customers just give me a call thanks Doug 1-800-735-6909

#4 OFFLINE   mdw60

mdw60

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

Customer service is our number 1 goal. If the customer isn't happy with our campers they don't tell thier friends and we just don't sell campers. If you would want some of our current customers just give me a call thanks Doug 1-800-735-6909

May I email your statement to my friend? Bet he be surpised to hear this!

Thanks for your reply :fing32:

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)

#5 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

May I email your statement to my friend? Bet he be surpised to hear this!

Thanks for your reply :fing32:

as a very satisfied S&S owner I can guarantee your friend that NO ONE builds a better non slide tc or stands behind their product as well as S&S..
Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#6 OFFLINE   mdw60

mdw60

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:00 PM

Ohhh I just remeber one more thing.
Whats the temp limit in useing the S&S in the winter? Eddie hunts in the winter !

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)

#7 Guest_mr camper_*

Guest_mr camper_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

e-mail away as for winter use I have used our campers down to zero deg. fer. thanks Doug

#8 OFFLINE   67rs/ss

67rs/ss

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • Interests:Drag racing Nascar and anything fast
  • Camper Brand:S&S
  • Truck Make & Model:04 Ford F-250 crew with powerstroke
  • Name (Public):Andy

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Very happy with my S&S have not had to worry about any customer service. The only problem I have had with it so far was caused by my dealer when he installed the TV ant. and I was abe to seal it myself.

#9 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

I toured their operation a year ago. I have to say I was more than impressed & I have toured a lot of TC factories. There was the same attention to detail & quality I saw with SR. When you look at the price in the equation, S&S is one of, if not the best, deal in TC's out there.

Doug is also definitely not the corporate type. Like Bob Mehrer, he is the sort of guy can sit down & share a beer with. Or several.

as a very satisfied S&S owner I can guarantee your friend that NO ONE builds a better non slide tc or stands behind their product as well as S&S..

I'm glad you feel that way, Ralph, especially since I was the one who suggested you buy one. Particularly since you own all those guns. LOL.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 831 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:04 PM

And if you HAD to go get service at the factory, you couldn't ask for a nicer place than Kalispell to visit. A gorgeous Flathead Lake with state and private campgrounds you'll dream about on winter nights, mountains on all sides, Glacier National Park, the list goes on.

Kayakin

#11 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

If your friend has a chance to deal with East End campers he is one lucky guy....that dealership and owner is one of the best there is in the business......Honest and does not inflate his prices like most others do........jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#12 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Buying a T/C is a big nut, especially when you're going in blind like I did. So, relying on the advice of people who have been there and done that is important, and I think part of what makes this forum so valuable. Yeah, I took your advice, bought the S&S and proceeded to spend the next two years bouncing it from the Mexican border to the tip of Alaska on some truly brutal roads. We don't baby it. From 100+ degrees to zero, this thing has never let us down. The only thing I've had to replace is a fridge cover that I tore off and the generator tail pipe that cracked. I'm pretty sure I caused that too. A quick call to Doug at S&S and replacements were on my doorstep. Otherwise, everything works as well today as it did the day I bought it. I'm sure there are other good campers - I only know this S&S, but it takes quality from the builder to put up with the abuse I'm dishing out. I suspect most of the T/C builders put a lot of heart into their product, which is why losing SnowRiver is such a bummer.

If and when I ever wear this one out, I won't hesitate to buy another S&S.

And Paul - the only reason I have so many guns, is all my Canadian friends are sending me theirs to keep them from being confiscated.
Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#13 OFFLINE   mdw60

mdw60

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

Im offering Ed to check out this NATCOA and see for himself.

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)

#14 OFFLINE   mdw60

mdw60

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

I cant fine the dry weights of this camper. can some of you help?

Its a 2007 ponderosa 9.5 w/bumper

other one is 2008 ponderosa 8.5 w/bumper

both sell at east end campers, they dont have the weights on thier list.
thanks

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)

#15 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

mdw60, I should have copied one of my long and drawn out posts from here or over on RV.net the first time I wrote one. I have always tried to comment anytime anyone was asking about S&S campers. It would speed things up and I wouldn't short change a particular thread.

I have found dealing with the S&S manufacturer and a good S&S dealer a combination second to none. While I have been tremendously impressed with Snow River Bob, from both meeting him in person and from the loyalty he has inspired in his clients.....I could not be any happier with having my first real truck camper be an S&S.

We saw an S&S the first day we went out shopping for a TC, and immediately fell in love with for a couple of reasons, and though that model was way too big, we started looking for ones that were sized properly for our truck.

We first found an 8.5 SC at a dealer south of Fort Collins. He was sure it would fit on our truck. I started calling Kalispell for information and asked about the generator compartment. The guy I spoke with immediately asked me if I had a short bed truck, because 8.5's with a genney option will not work for a long bed. These guys know their campers, and you don't necessarily have to ask for Doug when you call. On a side note, that dealer is no longer a dealer for S&S....after we purchased our used unit, 5 Star became an S&S dealer and I couldn't have been happier; I had already used them for our torklift tie-downs and such.

Back to the story....we basically began a nationwide search for a late model 8.5SC. I spoke with the guys in Kalispell, with floods of questions. They new I was basically looking for used, but yet they answered all my questions and never acted like this was anything but a pleasure to do. I think the sales guy I talked to all the time was Bob but I am not sure. I got a complete understanding of which features changed each year so I was well equiped for buying a used S&S TC. Anyway, they kept giving me dealer names from a wider and wider area, and I was gradually calling every RV dealer (not just S&S or even just TC dealers) in the state and then gradually widening out the search. At one point I drove down to Albuquerque to look at an older but NEW one. That was Suburban RV I think. Great guys there too, and he even let me load it up and drive it to a scale. This solidified my desire for an 8.5SC but we couldn't afford new, and passed on it. I hope that dealer knows how much I appreciated him letting me test drive it.

Early in my search, Roger's RV in Idaho had a used one, but I thought he wanted too much for it....after a few months of failing to find another candidate, I called Roger's back and made an offer. We more or less met in the middle and made a deal. We drove from Denver to Boise Idaho over a weekend (through a blizzard on Friday night) to purchase it and everything went great.

As mentioned above, Kalispell Montana is an awesome place. I haven't been to the Okanagon Valley yet, but I tell you it can't be any cooler than the area around Glacier National Park and Flathead Lake. We made two seperate trips to northwestern Montana with the S&S on vacation, and both times went to the S&S factory. Like going to the Okanagon Valley, taking your S&S to Kalispell is like going to Mecca. Now we didn't get to camp in Doug's backyard, and didn't share a Budweiser with him (but who'd want to drink a Bud anyway when you can get a Moose Drool instead?) and I don't think we had the time anyway.....we were off to Glacier. But I digress. On both trips to the plant I got a personal tour by one of the guys there (Mike from service I think.....these guys all seem to have been there forever, just like Bob's employees.) Each time they inspected some things I had questions about and did some minor work (I scheduled my visit on one of the trips because I wanted some time for a minor repair and advice.) One time they gave me a second shelf the right size that was missing from the previous owner, and the other time they gave me 2 of the little plastic storm windows that were missing on mine. They charged me next to nothing for the labor that was done. I made sure to say hello to Doug, and when I told him I was with NATCOA he made sure to mention that to some of the others by the counter (and I think that's when I managed to snag a couple of coffee mugs from him on the house :sign0072: Of course, in proper two-way fashion, we also bought plenty of odds and ends off the shelf of their parts department. I loved seeing the decades worth of calanders featuring S&S caampers.

Doug is definitely shorting himself on the cold weather range for their campers....we have camped at about 7 below for two nights without any trouble. I had some icing at the drain valve one time in all the cold weather camping we have done, and it was also the only time where we opened all the cabinet doors in the camper. PLUS, the camper was off the truck (at home) which is not as good as being snuglled into the truck bed. We had returned from a trip without dumping the tanks so had to keep it warm until we could go to a dump. I do not think you want to open the basement door by the water pump, as that is where the forced air furnace pumps air into the basement, and if you leave the door open, it does not draw air through the whole basement and come back via the cold air return. Otherwise, we never had a cold weather issue. Our current Lance is WAY less insulated and feels colder, especially in the cabover. Granted it is much bigger and has a slide, but it just isn't as "warm" as the S&S was.

MDW60, I could not recommened these guys any higher, ESPECIALLY in customer service. Keep in mind I now own a Lance (having already sold my S&S.) But if I or anyone I knew was considering an S&S I would have no reseervations about recommending them. We could not have been more pleased with our first real TC. We owned it for 5 years, and camped in it well over 200 nights year round. After a serious scrub down, the new owners said it looked like brand new and could not believe we had used it that much. After seeing it once, and hanging out in it for about 2 hours, they left. They returned about 10 minutes later and made us an offer. We paid $11,500 for it, used it for 4.5 years and 200 nights, and sold it for $7500. So it seems that it also held it's value pretty well too. I had already seen that when trying to buy it to begin with.....used S&S's don't seem to sit on the lot very long. During our search, we had even arranged to see and make an offer on one that was coming in on a trade-in (at Bob Scott's in Grand Junction) but the guy ended up selling it himself before he brought in on trade (the dealer wasn't happy about that one as is was a part of the deal they had made and thier new camper had already came in.)

We also met Doug at the first Nebraska show.....he made sure to drag us through his own camper, which was the prototype for the current 11FBSC model (large, side-door non-slide model.) If I didn't really want a slide, I would have been seriously wanting that camper. Anyway, he and his family were camping in it. These guys USE their own campers as well. I don't really think the people who own and work at Lance actaully own or use Lances or some of the things that slip out with the product wouldn't make it (like the carpeting around the toilet in mine!) I think Lance catches them afterwards and takes care of it (no more carpet around the toilet in the 1191) but with S&S I don't think those things go out the door.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with S&S. Obviously you look for the same things with any camper as far as wear and tear, leaks or anything like that before buying....but 2 thumbs up from me and my wife for S&S.

You might also want to read the interview of Doug at the Truckcampermagazine site. I can find you the link if you can't. It will help you get to know him a little better.

BT
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#16 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

My 8.5SC without many of the heavier options, like AC, fiberglass sides, microwave etc. listed a "wet" weight of 2840. I would guess that a current 8.5fbsc would be a little more than that, but not much. Then you have to add in for options. If this is at a dealer, you can ask them to look at the tag at the back and tell you what the base model weighs.
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#17 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1020 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

mark

PS no body beats Snowriver or Northstars :sign0072:

A REAL friend would steer their pal to either the Snowriver or Northstar! Since SR is out of business, that leaves Northstar as the only logical choice.

I too was impressed with S & S when I saw them at Ogalalla, but spoke to several owners and they all had had leaking problems. With wood frames, that can lead to rotten wood real fast.
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#18 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

Ok, from what I have heard and the impression I have gotten from both Doug & Bob Mehrer, is that Doug pretty much had the company dumped into his lap by his dad, maybe before he was really ready. In another thread Bob is quite blunt about an incident where he apparently told Doug his campers were crap.

Correct me if I am wrong, Doug.

Rather than taking it personally, Doug set out to rectify the problems and build a truly high quality camper. The front windows were axed and attention to detail in things like plumbing & wiring were introduced. S&S has wiring & plumbing every bit as neat & tidy as that in SR. I believe all this started around 2004. Its is quite possible that those with leakers have campers made in the dark period, so to speak. All I know is that what I saw in that factory in 2007, was a very well built camper that IMO is one of the finest on the market today.

I remember happening to be with Bob & Doug at the 2006 Ogallala show & Doug proudly showing Bob all the changes he had made, that was when I first heard the story that Bob is referring to below. and I am sure I heard it from Doug himself.

When we first met in Denver I was very cruel about some quality issues with your campers. I felt if we ever met again you would tell me to get lost. (putting it nicely) I really didn't follow S&S campers after that, the next time I seen them was at the show in Ogallala. The quality and design ideas not only blew me away but also a lot of other very knowledgable people as well. You had returned to your factory, and instead of being pissed, you made positive changes in everything we talked about. It was then I decided not to delve into the non-slide camper market. I just did not want to compete with a camper that matched the quality of my own product. Being young and enthusiastic about a product has definitely served you well. Your father should be proud of what you now build. If I wanted a non-slide camper in the traditional build (not clam shell) it would be an S&S. It is a tough market today, I hope you do well, and carry on the S&S brand name. I certainly feel with the efforts you put into the product, it will pay dividends for you and your family in the future.

Bob

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#19 OFFLINE   mdw60

mdw60

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

Thanks guys, Ed just page me and said wow this NATCOA is cool and he is mostly impressed with Doug. He cant believe the manufacture owner is talking on this fourm.

So guys keep up with the good work, you too manufactuies guys! :sign0072:

Hope he joins and get one of those TCs...

'05 Snowriver 10.2
'78 Mitchell 9.5 (sold)

#20 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

A REAL friend would steer their pal to either the Snowriver or Northstar! Since SR is out of business, that leaves Northstar as the only logical choice.

I too was impressed with S & S when I saw them at Ogalalla, but spoke to several owners and they all had had leaking problems. With wood frames, that can lead to rotten wood real fast.

ANY camper will leak if not cared for well. I can't say nor would I even venture to guess which brands have the highest percentage of leakers based on talking to a few owners. I have yet to run into a truck camper owner when on the road or camping, that even knew about NATCOA, so the number we see/meet here at NATCOA is only a small percentage of the actual owners out there.

I am unconvinced that aluminum frames are so much better as far as leaks go. If a camper leaks, there will be hell to pay regardless of the frame type. I own an aluminum frame now. My two front jacks seems to be a little loose. If it were wood framed, I could sink in a bit longer lag bolts. Can't do that with Aluminum. I am planning on removing them, cleaning everything up, sikaflexing them, and rebolting. But that would work better with wood frame I think. A wood frame might flex more and withstand nasty bumpy roads too. I don't know, for me the jury is out.

Repeat after me:
Must caulk, must caulk, must caulk, must caulk.

PS, driving around Kalispell, you'll see al kinds of ancient S&S's. There was an early 90's one at the dealer in Idaho when we bought ours. Seeing a lot of oldder models gives you the impression that even the older ones did (at least sometimes?) last pretty well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In