Hey there

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance Lite 150, 8'6", 93:Fleetwood Caribou, 01, 11J
  • Truck Make & Model:2001 Chev Silv 3500 CC dually 6.0 gasser

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant that if the first co. wasn't interested, then perhaps another one would be. Having Bob oversee the building of each coach is, of course, mandatory. Otherwise it wouldn't be a SR.

Kurt

#42 OFFLINE   Wheretonext

Wheretonext

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Camper Brand:9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW, Diesel

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

Just read the sad news. We can't begin to imagine how difficult this must be for you, Heather and all your great employees. It can't be said often enough - you built the best TC out there but more importantly, the personal involvement and relationships you established with your customers is something that will never be duplicated - there's only one Bob Mehrer! It's one thing to close a business that falls victim to poor management, shoddy workmanship, etc. but it's a real shame when a great manufacturer has to close up shop for reasons beyond it's control. Everyone looses.

We thank you for our Snowbird and we think of both you and Heather often when we're "on the road", especially when we're in the mood for bing cherries - 20 lbs. of them! Hopefully our paths will cross again.

All the best in your future endeavours and remember to take care of yourselves. Retirement can be fun!

Brian & Gwen

#43 OFFLINE   WitchDoctor

WitchDoctor

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 353 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:OR
  • Camper Brand:5 th wheel, sorry
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Chevy 3500 d/a SRW 4x4
  • Name (Public):Chris and Karen

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:30 AM

Bob and Heather:

If you are in the area you may borrow mine. After all, it is your child. We wish you well in your future endeavors.

Remember though, that the SR has gone from Cutting Edge to Vintage Collectable in one email. Another sign of Bob's genius.

Chris and Karen

2014 Raptor 332 TS
2004 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW 4x4, airbags, Ranchos, Superhitch, Hellwig sway,Torks
19.5 TOYO
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660

2005 GL1800 Honda Trike in the back

#44 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

.....Remember though, that the SR has gone from Cutting Edge to Vintage Collectable in one email. .....

That's a great way to put it!

.....hmmmmm.....I guess I know who I'd want to build a custom flatbed-no_cabover-side_door-slide-rear_motorcycle_compartment camper someday. :246:
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#45 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:NUWA Hitch Hiker 29.5FKTS
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500HD D/A
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:40 PM

Wow! I am gone a few days and come back to this! Quite a shock but no suprise in todays economy. Bob, knowing you, I am sure you will come out of this better than most. Best of luck to ya buddy!
Bill and Renee.
p.s. Dont be a stranger!

Northern Colorado

#46 OFFLINE   Lockport

Lockport

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Camper Brand:2000 Snowriver 810
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F350 Ford Super Duty
  • Name (Public):Linda Baker

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:07 AM

As former small business owners, we truly know how personal the business is. We sold our business (a service business) to another company, but since it still has our name, we want the good reputation to continue and my husband works for the new owner with that in mind. The reputation of Snow River will continue, and even though there will not be any new units, what is out there remains as testimate to a good business ethic. Also, the conclusion of production was handled with much class. Good for you Bob, and best of luck in the future.

Regards, the people from Michigan

#47 OFFLINE   Wellsdesigned

Wellsdesigned

Senior (in title, not age) Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 648 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping
    Traveling
    Molding My 10 Acres
    Writing
    Architecture
  • Camper Brand:Eagle Cap 850 w/ slide
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 Chevy 2500 HD

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:50 AM

I've been watching RV dealers in my area falling out of business like dominoes. There must be a glut of fire-sale existing inventory. Even if someone was considering a truck camper, I'm sure its impossible to compete with the land yachts that are available for a bargain these days.

Good luck with your retirement and consider marketing the slide out mechanism or selling the idea to a willing manufacturer.
Based above the Sacramento CA fog/smog
2002 2500HD 4X4 Ext. Cab 6.0L
2004 Eagle Cap 850 TC w/slide-out

My creative writing Website

#48 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 995 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

Bad salesmanship. From years of selling houses, I know YOU never want to be the one to end the bargening. It always makes sense to counter-back, even if only a few dollars.
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#49 OFFLINE   SP1

SP1

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:OR
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1071
  • Truck Make & Model:3500 Chevy Silverado

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

Dear Mr Mehrer,
Although I've never met you I feel that I owe you a debt. Your notion of building a solid, quality no-nonsense camper has struck a chord in me. I own another brand but have come, through this and another forum, to respect and appreciate all that you have put into your products.
Though you may not be building campers today, that which you stand for, simpicity, quality, reliability and dependability will always be appreciated. The next camper that I own, if not one of yours, will have to come up to your standards. And, because of this, as a customer, I'm in your debt. Thanks,

Steve Penberthy
woodcrafters.us
SP
Lance 1071

#50 OFFLINE   Melanie

Melanie

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver
  • Truck Make & Model:Honda Jazz Scooter
  • Name (Public):Melanie Mehrer

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:03 AM

I'm going to take this opportunitiy to publicly announce how proud Rene and I are of our Dad, SnowriverDad. (sorry, just can't call you Bob.)

In my last year of highschool, you lost your job in a plant bankruptcy. I remember that you spoke to the American Company willing to buy that company, and that they wanted you to become the plant manager. I remember you talking to mom and saying, "If these guys are willing to invest millions of dollars into a company and want me to run it, then they must think I CAN run it. And if I can manage their company, maybe I can manage my own." You were standing in the kitchen of our old house, leaning against the cupboard. Mom had this look like, "Oh Jesus, you are serious." You had a choice at that moment. Go work for another factory or take a giant leap into the unknown. And leap you did.

And Rene and I watched the struggles you had opening the business, wondering how to fanaggle payroll, the pressure that put you through a few heart attacks, how you handled problems you really didn't know the answer to in the beginning. But you did it anyway.One step at a time, you learned, you perservered, and through it all, we watched you develop your own little personal heaven.

Does it matter that after all these years you closed the doors? No. Look at this forum. look at all the lives you have touched, the friends you have made, the oceans of respect you recieve from all corners of North America and the globe. There is no one prouder of their Dad than Rene and I. I have the coolest dad in the world and I have been reading this forum for years to know everyone else thinks so too.

As you know, I'll be jobless soon too. I could cling to a job I am not crazy about, but for the most part it's stable. Or I could follow in my Dad's footsteps, and leap with two feet into the unknown and pray that I also land in my own little heaven. You are a true inspiration Dad, to me and everyone else. (If I fail miserably I hope you clean out the fifth wheel and I promise to buy my own case of Alpo.)

Now to quote one of the best pieces of advice I got from you, "You know the shit you do everyday? That's your life." Now go out and enjoy it, before you get whisked away into another grandios project. Because you are too much of a going concern for retirement, sorry to tell you. (that and mom will work you to death anyway.)

Love you both and Zoe too,

Melanie

Attached Images

• mel_and_dad.jpg

#51 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 995 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:40 AM

A very nice tribute to your Dad. He definitely built a great product. Now, is that Honda overloaded carrying your Snowriver? (in your sig.)
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#52 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Great Tribute Mel, I had the pleasure of meeting your sister (or was it you, I'm getting old as well) in August. It's obvious Bob & Heather did a fine job on both of you. You wouldn't be interested in running an RV factory would you? LOL.

BTW, somehow I can't picture your dad as retired.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#53 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 20 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

Well Mel...Very well put....Also Nancy and I had a GREAT visit with you and your sister and hopefully your dad and mon well spend the winter in Yuma with us......they are a fun couple to be with.. Hugs..Nancy & jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#54 OFFLINE   Kodiak K99

Kodiak K99

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • Interests:Camping/Golfing/Water Skiing
  • Camper Brand:Kodiak
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 3500 Dodge 6.7 Cummins 4x4 Dually
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:30 PM

Wow, what a tribute for a great guy Mel! :lol:
You don't say much on here but you said a ton on this post.
You confirmed what we always thought about Bob and his family, one great bunch that's hard to duplicate.
2007 3500 Dodge Cummins 6.7 4x4 Dually
SuperHitch and Torklift Tie Downs
2002 Kodiak K99 Camper...3100 lbs mt, 13500 BTU A/C
5x8 Continental Cargo Trailer
Honda EM2500 Gen
Ski Supreme Competition Ski Boat

#55 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

Just got back from visiting with Bob and Heather, Mel they are doing great and we talked about you and your sister to. Now maybe you did not want to know that. Bob and Heather are doing good. As we have all said it is a sad time in the camper industry. But as we all have to do in life is move on and roll with the punches. Heather will be keeping Bob so busy when he is retired, we also saw the honey do list and it is large. Mel you and your sister are wonderful girls and even though we have never met in knowing your mom and dad I feel that I know both of you. Thanks for saying all the great things about your dad and mom no body could have put it better.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#56 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Interests:Traveling/ camping boating in the highest mountains
  • Camper Brand:NL 10-2000
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 CTD

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

Melanie, thank you for the write up on your dad, he is truly a great guy, and even though I did not buy a SnowRiver camper, he helped me in a very big way and would not let me pay for it at all. I thank him again for that, for that was truly amazing.

Just one request if I may..... can we have a little history on Snowriver campers? Like how many campers and motorhomes were built since it's beginning. When and it got started, how many people first worked out of a garage/ barn, and when sales really started to take off because of great quality.

Hope this isn't too much to ask..... it's hard not to love hearing more about a guy I admire so much.

Perhaps this is something for TC Magazine to write up

Mike
To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#57 OFFLINE   Melanie

Melanie

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver
  • Truck Make & Model:Honda Jazz Scooter
  • Name (Public):Melanie Mehrer

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

Id' be very happy to take on writing anything about my Dad, I find it really easy to brag about him, if you can imagine. I'd just need some of the facts you asked for- like how many they built. God knows after so many years! Dad, if you are interested, I'll do it for you!!!!

It has been great meeting many of you over the years, and hope to meet lots of you in the future. You can't stay in the fifth wheel with me though. Mom says one of these years they might actually let me in the house! :lol:

By the way, since you all love my mom as well, let me tell you one of her special talents. My mother is a veteran of the Naramata Post office. Whenever I have had any sort of package to mail, my mother can hold it in one hand, bounce it a little, eyeball the dimensions and tell me within a buck how much it would cost me to send it whever I am sending it! her packagesd are an art piece in themselves.

And one more thing about my dad, which is fitting because he is SnowRiver Bob. never get into a snowball fight with him. Because you will lose. He used to be a pitcher on a baseball team and he will kick your ass everytime.

#58 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Interests:Traveling/ camping boating in the highest mountains
  • Camper Brand:NL 10-2000
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 CTD

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thank you Melanie, Looking forward to reading more about Him.

You know anytime someone wonders about Snowriver campers because, maybe they bought one somewhere on this big continent, they can look up SR and read some of the history on your dad and the people behind them.

I like hearing about the early years, struggles and start up. Others will appreciate it too, as it will help to personalize their investment and fun with owning a SnowRiver camper.

Mike
To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#59 OFFLINE   larryjj

larryjj

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Dry Camping and the Great Out Doors
  • Camper Brand:2005 10.6E Bigfoot
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 F - 350 4x4 s/whl s/cab l/box
  • Name (Public):larryjj

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hi Bob and family:

It is sad to hear that another good company has bitten the dust.
Especially when you are still young and active as you are.
You have a lot of friends in NATCOA.
Hopefuly you can relax and enjoy your life in the out doors for a while.

Best regards,

larryjj

#60 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

Awesome post Melanie. I am sure it must make your dad proud to have read your words.

I got a chance once to do something kind of similar for my dad one time. He was a geologist who taught field camp in Montana every summer....and his birthday was always when they were in the caravan on thier way out there, so we never saw him on his birthday (he taught summers 33 out of 36 years of being a prof....and the missed years were when I was little.) During caravan (and anytime when the group was out) they communicated between the 15 or so vehicles via CB radio....and were always very sticky about radio protocol and everything else for that matter dealing with 80+ students from all over the country. Anyway, I ended up being a geologist too, and took the course (the only one of the profs kids that took the course as far as I know) and on the day of his birthday I got to pop on the radio and say something along the lines of "truck #5 permission to speak. - go ahead truck 5 - This is Dave's son Brian, and I have never had a chance to be with him on his birthday since I was a baby because he was always out here teaching students in this course......I'd like to take this oppurtunity to wish him a happy birthday....happy birthday dad. Truck 5 out"

Sounds kind of corny, but it meant a lot to him to have me there in the course, and though he didn't speak his emotions much I think he was as proud of me as I was of him.....and I am glad I took the chance to say that in front of everyone else. He passed away last summer and I always smile thinking of that summer I actually got to see him on his birthday.

I'm sure the pride you each have in each other, is surely equal, and he'll never forget your words (besides, yours are forever recorded in cyberspace!) Thanks for your story.
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In