Air bag question the newbies

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   happycampin'

happycampin'

Poster

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 AM
  • Interests:Boating, Jet-Ski, Stand-up Jet-Ski (yeah man), Horses, Camping, Traveling. Like to mix all of the above together - that's why we have a truck camper.
  • Camper Brand:SunLite 850
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram2500
  • Name (Public):kerin

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Hello everyone,

We just purchased a 2006 Dodge 2500 3/4ton, diesel, srw, long box to haul our 2003 SunLite 850SE. The camper is 1590lbs dry weight.

We want to leave the current suspension intact and add an air bag system to the truck. What suggestions do y'all have?

kerin

P.S. anyone have this truck? what kind of mileage are you getting? our 2002 Dodge diesel gets 22mpg...

#2 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Local time: 01:19 AM
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

I would put on the camper and go for a short trip and see how it does. After loading it see how it sits and if you are down in the back. Air bags are great from what is said. I have Super Springs and they made my 3/4 ton sit level with a camper that weighs about twice what yours does. The nice thing about air bags is that you can adjust it for side to side weight where with the Super Springs you can not. If you have a question call Super Springs and talk to Mark he really knows his stuff. Good luck.
xnorp

www.supersprings.com

I am not a dealer or a rep for them just the information I have from using them.
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#3 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Utah
  • Interests:4-wheeling, camping, hiking, fishing, and astronomy
  • Camper Brand:Outfitter Apex 8
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD
  • Name (Public):Don Curley

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

Kerin,

I agree with both xnorp and Artum Snowbird. Try your fully loaded camper first without air bags (both static on the level and then dynamically on the road). We have Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on our Dodge 3500 with an Outfitter Apex 8 pop-up camper and we love them for both front-to-rear and side-to-side adjustments. We also use them to one degree or another when in camp to do some leveling.

Don
- 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty QC SB SRW 4x4 with 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel, 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission, 9.25 front axle/11.50 rear axle with AAM TracRite-GT limited slip differential, exhaust brake, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T tires mounted on Power Wagon 17x8 forged aluminum wheels, Tuff Country 2.5" front leveling kit, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (with in-cab controls, compressor & tank), Rancho RS9000XL shocks, full array of skid plates, Amp Research power retractable running boards, Buckstop Baja front bumper with Warn 16.5ti 16,500 winch, 6" PIAA 580 driving lights, and 4" PIAA 510 fog lights, Road Armor rear bumper with PIAA back-up lights, Line-X bedliner with Line-X Xtra Kevlar overcoat, and Undercover tonneau cover.
- 2007 Outfitter Apex 8 customized & modified with 220W solar, Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E MPPT controller, twin 6 volt T-145 Trojan batteries, Xantrex Prosine 2000W inverter/converter/charger, Honda EU2000i, Tundra fridge, Polar Cub A/C with remote digital thermostat/controls, Suburban 20K BTU furnace, Atwood XT water heater, ShurFlo Extreme 4 variable speed water pump, Suburban cook top with oven, microwave, twin Fantastic fans, Happijac tie-down system with Fast Guns, electric Happijac jacks, side/rear awnings, stereo system with outside speakers.
- 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4 highly modified with 5.9L Magnum V8 ... locked & loaded.

#4 OFFLINE   wcjeep

wcjeep

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Local time: 12:19 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 811
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Dodge Megacab
  • Name (Public):wcjeep

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:07 PM

Check out the Pacbrake airbags. On my 06' Dodge Mega they were a straight bolt on. Zero drilling. Install was very straight forward. Friend was very impressed and bought the same for his 05' CTD. He couldn't believe the install difference from the Pacbrake install versus the install on his older Suburban with Firestone. I put my fill valves in the driver rear wheel well. I have onboard air from the Pacbrake Exhaust brake.

Can't fairly answer your mileage question. You didn't state auto or stick. If auto, what gears? My Mega weighs alittle more than a QC. With the 6spd manual I average 17mpg. My 96' 5spd averaged 21mpg with the same power (both trucks slight mods). I think the 3rd Gen auto's have better mileage.

Also, friend with CTD SRW 1ton has a light camper. The Torklift overload extended bumpstops were all he needed. Cheaper than airbags. My 2500 has no factory overloads.

#5 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:39 AM

Just a follow-up in that Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on a Dodge require no drilling for the install.
- 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty QC SB SRW 4x4 with 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel, 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission, 9.25 front axle/11.50 rear axle with AAM TracRite-GT limited slip differential, exhaust brake, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T tires mounted on Power Wagon 17x8 forged aluminum wheels, Tuff Country 2.5" front leveling kit, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (with in-cab controls, compressor & tank), Rancho RS9000XL shocks, full array of skid plates, Amp Research power retractable running boards, Buckstop Baja front bumper with Warn 16.5ti 16,500 winch, 6" PIAA 580 driving lights, and 4" PIAA 510 fog lights, Road Armor rear bumper with PIAA back-up lights, Line-X bedliner with Line-X Xtra Kevlar overcoat, and Undercover tonneau cover.
- 2007 Outfitter Apex 8 customized & modified with 220W solar, Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E MPPT controller, twin 6 volt T-145 Trojan batteries, Xantrex Prosine 2000W inverter/converter/charger, Honda EU2000i, Tundra fridge, Polar Cub A/C with remote digital thermostat/controls, Suburban 20K BTU furnace, Atwood XT water heater, ShurFlo Extreme 4 variable speed water pump, Suburban cook top with oven, microwave, twin Fantastic fans, Happijac tie-down system with Fast Guns, electric Happijac jacks, side/rear awnings, stereo system with outside speakers.
- 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4 highly modified with 5.9L Magnum V8 ... locked & loaded.

#6 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

Hmmm ... it takes only 50 posts to become part of the elite on NATCOA as a "Grand Potentate"? Goodness ... :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In