31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Local time: 03:01 PM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping, Four Wheeling, GIS, Linux, Sailing, and EATING!
  • Camper Brand:Lance Legend 480
  • Truck Make & Model:99 Dodge Cummins 2500
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:49 PM

For the first time, other than camping at South Padre Island, we will be camping here in Central Texas. We are going to spend the Labor Day holiday at Bastrop state park which is within range of one tank of fuel for the truck. Even though the heat is going to be high, probably over 100F, fuel prices are dictating our staying close to home. It usually takes three tanks of fuel just to get to the state line (north) from where we live.

-Mike

Hi everyone,
Here is the post on our one tank weekend camping trip report. To sum it all up, it was a dismal failure. I'm not trying to be too negative, just explain what happened.
First, I made our reservations, online, via the State of Texas Parks and Wildlife web site for three nights totaling $54
Next, there was a windstorm the night before we loaded up so the camper was blown out of alignment and we had a horrible time loading.
Then, my old nemesis the old style gray plastic plumbing fittings, reared its ugly head again. The cold water fitting, leading up to the sink let go, while I was flushing the system and prepping to go. By this time all the RV shops are closed and we are running behind. We stop at homeless depot on the way out, and surprise, surprise, surprise, they no longer stock a full spectrum of pvc fittings. I grabbed as many of the wrong parts as possible in order to hack together something that would work and we hit the road.
Next, we get to the campground and am informed by the park staff that the $54 I've already paid only reserved me a non specific spot. I had to pay an additional fee to enter the park, then a daily usage fee for myself and my wife which added up to another 30 bucks or so. Thanks alot TP&W
Also, the campsite was o.k. it had water and electric, but, no sewer hookup. Had to use a dump station on the other side of the lake, a couple of miles away. We got setup and then I spent 3 hours cobbling together a series of fittings to fix the sink fitting failure.
Finally, it was so freaking hot and humid we ended up hiding out in the camper, with the aircon running, the entire time. No campfire... noooo way. It was even too hot for the dogs they didn't even want to go out and sniff around which is rare for the beagle. Then in one last hurra, one of those gray plastic fittings, attached to the hot water heater cold water side, let loose and flooded the camper as we were getting ready to leave.
The wife and I have decided that we've had it. :character0051: We are accelerating the sale of our commercial property, buying a new, not new to me, camper and moving to Colorado where the wicked witch of the north, I mean my wifes mother and family live. :rolleyes: I know they hate Texans up there, something to do with that part of the country originally being part of Texas and now not, causing much jealousy. However, the wife's a native, so I figure that should buy me some sort of a reprieve. :evilgrin0010:

So much for our first and last camping trip in state.

Mike and Dianna
96 Lance Legend M480, has cold weather package, aircon, wet bathroom, microwave, coleman powermate 1850
Sits on a 99 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 camper package w/Firestone airbags.

Sticks and stones may break my bones.......
So please PLEASE don't throw sticks and stones!

#22 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Wow you had a hell of a time. You are a trooper to keep on going. I sure hope that your next camping trip is better than this one. In 20 years you will look back and laugh and say remember that trip we took were the water fittings broke. Good luck the next one has to be better.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#23 OFFLINE   Hey there

Hey there

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Local time: 06:01 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance Lite 150, 8'6", 93:Fleetwood Caribou, 01, 11J
  • Truck Make & Model:2001 Chev Silv 3500 CC dually 6.0 gasser

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

Hi Mcmike,

I was in the AF in Denver for four years in the 60's. I was told several times by Coloradans that the reason they disliked (nay, despised) Texans was because every Texan who came to Colorado wanted to change things to be "just like they do it in Texas". Anyway, that's what I was told.

Kurt

#24 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hi Mcmike,

I was in the AF in Denver for four years in the 60's. I was told several times by Coloradans that the reason they disliked (nay, despised) Texans was because every Texan who came to Colorado wanted to change things to be "just like they do it in Texas". Anyway, that's what I was told.

Kurt

Hey Kurt,
My father was stationed in Denver during the 60's also. I had to have been 64 because my older brother was born there in that year. I can't remember the name of the base, but he said that it has since been closed. He did something with what was then advanced missile systems.
Luckily, I like Colorado just the way it is and I hope it stays that way. :rolleyes:
96 Lance Legend M480, has cold weather package, aircon, wet bathroom, microwave, coleman powermate 1850

#25 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

Wow you had a hell of a time. You are a trooper to keep on going. I sure hope that your next camping trip is better than this one. In 20 years you will look back and laugh and say remember that trip we took were the water fittings broke. Good luck the next one has to be better.
xnorp

Hi Xnorp,
We are already laughing all the way home. I don't know if we are going to use this camper on the next trip or hold out for the new one, but we will go camping no matter what!
:rolleyes:

#26 OFFLINE   Matho

Matho

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Local time: 04:01 PM
  • Name (Public):Jeff

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:08 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Seems a new camper and a new area to take it could be be a nice fix.
Let me know if you and Dianna make the change. We could be living closer together than we do now, in the same state! :rolleyes:

#27 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Seems a new camper and a new area to take it could be be a nice fix.
Let me know if you and Dianna make the change. We could be living closer together than we do now, in the same state! :rolleyes:

Hey Jeff,
That's an awesome picture of your camp site. Where was that?
-Mike

#28 OFFLINE   qtrhors

qtrhors

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Camper Brand:2001 Palomino Bronco 1250
  • Truck Make & Model:2001 Ford XLT Superduty F250 PSD auto SB CC 4x4
  • Name (Public):Tim

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:46 PM

I could drive 8 blocks from my house and camp by the Yellowstone river....wait I just did that lol(test camping).

I could head for the mountains in western Montana....should happen in a couple of weeks. We will see how much fuel is needed. I only live about 170 mi from the beartooth Mts.

Tim

#29 OFFLINE   Hey there

Hey there

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Local time: 06:01 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance Lite 150, 8'6", 93:Fleetwood Caribou, 01, 11J
  • Truck Make & Model:2001 Chev Silv 3500 CC dually 6.0 gasser

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hi again Mcmike,

I was in Denver from Feb, 1961 thru Aug, 1965. The base was Lowry Air Force Base. Yes, it is closed. The missle guys used to wear a little rocket on their uniforms. They called it their "pocket rocket". ha

It sounds like the folks who did the plumbing on your rig did a bummer job. Why not just replumb with other materials. My Fleetwood has clear flexible plastic tubing for cold water and red flexible plastric tubing for hot water. Works great. It would be much less expensive to replumb than to trade.

I have a sister who lives in Littleton, and an old friend who lives in Boulder. Colorado is a beautiful place.

At least you can't say that your trip was boring!!!

Kurt

#30 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3215 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:18 PM

Sounds like its time to go to Lowes and get the necessary PVC and CPVC materials and upgrade to those steel jacketed water lines for any area where you need flexible runs and use the pvc and CPVC for the primary pipe.

No more water problems and the total cost of materials is a pittance compared to buying a whole new camper in this market with hard to get credit.

If you were closer to Oregon, I'd be happy to redo the plumbing for ya on a weekend. It wasn't that long ago I redid a section of mine because the cobbled-together setup the last owner made fell apart.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#31 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

Sounds like its time to go to Lowes and get the necessary PVC and CPVC materials and upgrade to those steel jacketed water lines for any area where you need flexible runs and use the pvc and CPVC for the primary pipe.

No more water problems and the total cost of materials is a pittance compared to buying a whole new camper in this market with hard to get credit.

If you were closer to Oregon, I'd be happy to redo the plumbing for ya on a weekend. It wasn't that long ago I redid a section of mine because the cobbled-together setup the last owner made fell apart.

Hey you guys,
SHHhhhhhhhh, I'm this close to getting a snazzy new camper with a slide out even! :246:
Seriously, I considered re-plumbing everything in the camper, but the unit is twenty years old now, and I've done so much work on it so far. Rebuilt cabover due to water damage, rebuilt both front jack mounts, repaired the aircon, repaired roof where aircon punched a hole through, etc. I'm afraid that the appliances are going to start failing any time now and I'm just plain tired of dealing with it. Also, only 12 gal black water and even less grey, only space for one battery, poor floorplan / layout, and I can't fit on the throne anymore. I think the water damage shrunk the bathroom just like my pants seemed to have shrunk too. Oh then there was that trip to New Mexico where I got to drool over Jeff's sweet Snowriver. I just wish we would have been able to snag one of Bob's 10ft rear kitchen models before it was too late. It would have been nice to have put a few bucks in his pocket on the way out. :lightbulb:

#32 OFFLINE   Matho

Matho

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Name (Public):Jeff

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

Hey Jeff,
That's an awesome picture of your camp site. Where was that?
-Mike

That was last September in the Ben Lilly campground, Gila New Mexico.

I don't have much on the camera this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In