31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

We're back from welcoming our son, Ryan, home from Iraq. To those who sponsored knives, the guys send a big hearty THANK YOU!

During the trip, I fell down our steps not once, but twice. Once when the camper was on the truck and once while off. Let me tell you it's a long fall when the camper is on. I suffered some nasty bruises and a cut or two but luckily no broken bones. Best of all, I think only Karl saw me fall. It seriously got me to thinking that I need to find something else other than scissor steps to use. They just aren't deep enough for this klutz!

I really like the SR steps, but we don't have a basement I could adapt for use. We also don't have a bumper on the camper. I've thought about the platforms/porches that some have built and installed but I want to be able to easily get in and out of the camper while on the road. We do have an overhang off the back of the truck that I may be able to mount something underneath like a set of pull-out steps, but I'm not sure about this either. Anyone have any suggestions?

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#2 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 887 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Camper Brand:Retro 177se
  • Truck Make & Model:Colorado
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

We're back from welcoming our son, Ryan, home from Iraq. To those who sponsored knives, the guys send a big hearty THANK YOU!

During the trip, I fell down our steps not once, but twice. Once when the camper was on the truck and once while off. Let me tell you it's a long fall when the camper is on. I suffered some nasty bruises and a cut or two but luckily no broken bones. Best of all, I think only Karl saw me fall. It seriously got me to thinking that I need to find something else other than scissor steps to use. They just aren't deep enough for this klutz!

I really like the SR steps, but we don't have a basement I could adapt for use. We also don't have a bumper on the camper. I've thought about the platforms/porches that some have built and installed but I want to be able to easily get in and out of the camper while on the road. We do have an overhang off the back of the truck that I may be able to mount something underneath like a set of pull-out steps, but I'm not sure about this either. Anyone have any suggestions?

This is not an option for everyone, but when I had this problem a few years back I traded for a camper that had an adequate and safe entry and exit system. The exiting seems to be much more critical than the entry. I saw a lady fall last summer while exiting here camper on a set of those scissor steps and they had to take her to the hospital for repairs. I simply will not own such dangerous steps, seems I have plenty of other opportunity's for bruises or worst case broken bones, without those scissor stairs to contend with. I know that isn't much help but it is an option that worked for me. :lightbulb: YMMV , Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#3 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario
  • Interests:Traveling in Canada & wintering in Arizona
  • Camper Brand:2011 Lance 1191
  • Truck Make & Model:07 3500 Dodge
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:54 AM

When we had our 99 Citation we had the scissor steps my wife almost broke her back ,there was some ice on them in the morning and we didn,t realize it till it was to late.

#4 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:08 AM

Bubba has the electric steps on his. They are like the ones on trailers and motor homes. Somebody on here put them on for him you might want to get a hold of him. By the way have not head from Bubba for a while.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#5 OFFLINE   tankeryanker

tankeryanker

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Camper Brand:2014 Arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 dodge q/c dually ctd
  • Name (Public):Glenn

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:09 AM

I've been looking for an alternative myself. I'm so afraid of my wife falling down those steps with her limited eye sight. Bigfoot makes a platform off the bumper with some pull out flip down steps like I have on my 5vr. They want $2000.00 to retrofit & needs to be done at the factory. I also thought of building a fold up porch with some flip over steps. I've looked at what others have done for porches on rv net.

Good luck & let us know if you find a better alternative.

Give Ryan a big hug & thank him for his service for us.

#6 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:NUWA Hitch Hiker 29.5FKTS
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500HD D/A
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

I have mentioned this probably a dozen times. Those Snowriver steps would work great on anything. You could make some brakets to hang 'em on the rear ladder for storage and some brackets to hang 'em off the bottom of the entry. Oh, Dont forget to put on one of those big generous grab handles while you are at it. Seems like a simple solution to me. Would even be nice on the Snowriver and you could put a long slide out box in the storage area. A ton of stuff would fit in there.

Northern Colorado

#7 OFFLINE   Clattertruck

Clattertruck

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, and travel, Four wheeling, Photography
  • Camper Brand:2008 Snow River 10.8
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 F450 CC, DRW,PSD
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:48 AM

Sally,

I fell off the steps of my previous camper mainly because I’m old and dottery. The first step down was too far for my bum knees. My new Snowriver has great steps, but I felt the need for more assistance. I added a one inch aluminum tube extension so that I have something to hold all the way down while I have a beer in my right hand. The tube is covered with a foam wrap that is sold in bicycle shops.
Ron

Posted Image
2008 SD F450 PSD CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat, Auto trans, 4.30 gears, 2008 Snowriver 108. Tow a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited or a Jeep Liberty.

#8 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 887 posts
  • Camper Brand:Retro 177se
  • Truck Make & Model:Colorado
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:35 AM

Sally,

I fell off the steps of my previous camper mainly because I'm old and dottery. The first step down was too far for my bum knees. My new Snowriver has great steps, but I felt the need for more assistance. I added a one inch aluminum tube extension so that I have something to hold all the way down while I have a beer in my right hand. The tube is covered with a foam wrap that is sold in bicycle shops.
Ron

Posted Image

Ron, thats a cool idea, why didn't I think of that. Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#9 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 995 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

Search "steps" on the other forum and you get links to some nice 2 and 3 step systems that fit into your hitch. Has anybody here tried any of those? I kind of assumed I would order that kind when I get my N* if I end up putting it on a long box.
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#10 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

Sally
I will not be loading camper for another week or two so if you would like to see if there is a way to make them work come on over and pick them up.
Sure Bob would sell you a set though price may include a 08 Snowriver :lightbulb:

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#11 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

Search "steps" on the other forum and you get links to some nice 2 and 3 step systems that fit into your hitch. Has anybody here tried any of those? I kind of assumed I would order that kind when I get my N* if I end up putting it on a long box.

Nice idea I'm sure, but one of the main reasons we own a TC is so we can tow the boat. Having the hitch tied up with steps wouldn't go over so well with the DH.

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#12 OFFLINE   jmckelvy

jmckelvy

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AL
  • Camper Brand:2013 Arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram 3500, Dually, 5.9L, Auto, 4x4

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

I am wondering what if anything is different from my steps vs everyone elses. I have the detachable 4 step stairs which came with the camper. When attached and extended they are very stable. We have no problem using them. It does help that Rex threw in a foldable rail/handle. My wife and I may be a little younger than some here which may make a difference.

Are you folks talking about the same kind of steps or some other type?

Jim

2006 Dodge Ram 3500, Dually, 5.9L, Auto, 4X4, QC, Torklifts, Fastguns, Stable Loads
2013 Arctic Fox 990

#13 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 825 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Jim, what steps did you get with a Northstar?

On our Laredo, we used a little step ladder (and I did some good gymnastics off it) until this year. After looking all winter at various porches, homemade steps and trying to design a copy of the SnowRiver ones, we bought a set of HighJacker 4 steps made in Victoria. They attach like the scissors steps, but have a solid step with traction strips on them. So far (in the driveway and 2 nights in Yellowstone with mud all over, so good. It seems like there is a company in Oregon that makes some collapsible ones that are sturdier also.

Bonnie in Montana

#14 OFFLINE   tankeryanker

tankeryanker

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Camper Brand:2014 Arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 dodge q/c dually ctd
  • Name (Public):Glenn

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:54 PM

Jim, what steps did you get with a Northstar?

On our Laredo, we used a little step ladder (and I did some good gymnastics off it) until this year. After looking all winter at various porches, homemade steps and trying to design a copy of the SnowRiver ones, we bought a set of HighJacker 4 steps made in Victoria. They attach like the scissors steps, but have a solid step with traction strips on them. So far (in the driveway and 2 nights in Yellowstone with mud all over, so good. It seems like there is a company in Oregon that makes some collapsible ones that are sturdier also.

Bonnie in Montana

The co in Oregon is called step up mnufacturing. They have a website. I have been to their shop & they are a little sturdier but still sissor steps. Heres their website. http://step-upproducts.com/

#15 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

Our steps are by HiJacker. They've got the traction strip in the middle but it doesn't do much good when you've got a slippery edge. I was in my socks when I hit the edge and my foot went out from under me. The steps are stable...I'm not saying they aren't. My issue is that the step tread isn't deep enough for my comfort level. I've got a fold out grab handle but sometimes both hands are full and I'm not able to use it.

Our camper came with a 3-step Step Up Mfg set of steps that worked fine for the guy who carried it on 2WD truck but didn't work with our taller bed height. I built a wooden box to give us another step until I could get a taller set of steps since the box was a hassle to haul around. I bought the 5 step HiJacker unit to replace the Step Up set. In order to keep the treads level, I can't fully extend them and you lose tread depth. I've pulled a step out to see what it would do in a 4-step configuration, but that was too short most of the time when the camper is on the truck and it caused the treads to slant downward. We seem to be in between optimal heights. The 5-step config reminds me of climbing down into sailboats with more of a ladder-type configuration then normal stairs. I'd just feel more comfortable with a step that is closer to the riser height and tread depth that is used in homes.

Tate - I may come and borrow your steps this weekend to see what I can come up with as far as attachment points. I need something that will work when the camper is on and off the truck. Even when the camper is off the truck and all the way down on the jacks, I still need one step in between the door threshold level and the ground.

#16 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

Sally
I've got a one step weighting for you. Will be home all weekend working in back yard so you may need to yell back there.

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#17 OFFLINE   jmckelvy

jmckelvy

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

The co in Oregon is called step up mnufacturing. They have a website. I have been to their shop & they are a little sturdier but still sissor steps. Heres their website. http://step-upproducts.com/

I am at work and can't check at the moment but these sure look like the ones I have. They did not come with traction strips on the steps. I added those later.

Jim

2006 Dodge Ram 3500, Dually, 5.9L, Auto, 4X4, QC, Torklifts, Fastguns, Stable Loads
2013 Arctic Fox 990

#18 OFFLINE   craig333

craig333

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

Here's what I use. Notice the can. Spray on anti slip. First thing I did when I got it.

Posted Image
Dodge 2500 FWC

#19 OFFLINE   jmckelvy

jmckelvy

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

Here's what I use. Notice the can. Spray on anti slip. First thing I did when I got it.

Posted Image

I bought one just like that off eBay! It almost works great. The last step into the camper is a little to high for my wife to comfortably use as the Arrow interior floor is about 6 inches above the level of the bed. I think I will use it while travelling as I can also install the scissor steps with the hitch mount step in place if desired.

Jim

2013 Arctic Fox 990

#20 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hi Sally

Sorry about your fall.
If you have the square tube happy jacks, and if they hang down enough like mine.
You could clamp on 2 lengths of 2" square tubing across the back with 2"leaf spring ubolts.
Then get a set of manual or electric folding motorhome steps.
Attach the upper portion of the steps to a piece of receiver tube which will side on the upper 2" tube.
The lower 2" tube will stabilize the steps when you put weight on it.
Don't forget to add a spacer where the step touches the bottom tube.
With the sideways sliding step you can use it with or without a trailer and it will only take seconds to deploy or retract the steps.
The steps that Bubba uses folds very flat with lots of clearance.

Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In