Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

How will the $4 per gallon fuel price affect you?

73 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mar v

mar v

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-250 Super Duty Powerstroke V-8 Diesel Crew Cab
  • Name (Public):Marlene

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

Short local trips for me this summer. Fortunately for me there are lots of places to camp where I live. May take a trip to southern NM in the fall. Boyfriend wants to go Elk hunting down there.
When life gives you lemons, go camping anyway!!

#42 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Short local trips for me this summer. Fortunately for me there are lots of places to camp where I live. May take a trip to southern NM in the fall. Boyfriend wants to go Elk hunting down there.

Using Microsoft's Streets & Trips, it identifies eight state parks within 20 miles of our house.
We will make those short local camping trips on weekends and the long trips as time permits.

#43 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping, Four Wheeling, GIS, Linux, Sailing, and EATING!
  • Camper Brand:Lance Legend 480
  • Truck Make & Model:99 Dodge Cummins 2500
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

I think that this is relevant to this thread:
Our local news did a story on why Diesel is so much more expensive than gas. "An industry spokesman explained that it is due to supply and demand. There is much less demand for Diesel, since there are very few people who own a Diesel powered vehicle, and because of this the gas companies have to charge more to make up for this." Then oddly enough there was story on the opposing channel about the high cost of gas, "An industry spokesman explained that it is a case of supply and demand. Since Americans have such an insatiable appetite for gas, the demand out strips the supply and that is why it cost so much."

O.K. which is it...supply, demand or is it the law of contradiction? I choose none of the above, I think if you could be a fly on the wall in the board room, you'd find that these companies are laughing all the way to the bank. They are going to squeeze us until there is nothing left.
96 Lance Legend M480, has cold weather package, aircon, wet bathroom, microwave, coleman powermate 1850
Sits on a 99 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 camper package w/Firestone airbags.

Sticks and stones may break my bones.......
So please PLEASE don't throw sticks and stones!

#44 OFFLINE   Collin

Collin

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowbird 10.8
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F 450 Lariat 6.4L 4 x4 Going to miss the people here.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

I thought they raised prices because Britney Spears lost custody of her kids.
:unsure:

2008 Ford F450 Lariat 4x4
2003 Snowbird 10'8" with All Weather package.
Vicoria BC

#45 OFFLINE   sydbette

sydbette

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 142 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NH
  • Interests:Travel-Recreational Vehicles
  • Camper Brand:Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:86FB
  • Name (Public):Syd

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

I wrote the following on a Escapees Forum (RVing on a budget) yesterday. It was titled: Crying at the pump. I think it's appropriate for this thread.

I used to be a full timer from 1994 to 2000. When I would fill up my class A motor home it would cost me less then a hundred dollars. Yesterday I filled up my diesel pickup. The gauge showed just under a quarter of a tank. I paid $100.00 dollars at that pump. It shut off at fifty dollars and I did it twice. I figure I get about fourteen miles to a gallon with out my truck camper and about ten to eleven mpg with it on. I'm leaving Brenda AZ. for Lakeland FL. this weekend. I was going to take a northern route (never RVed three of the NW States). After yesterday I'm heading straight home with tears in my eyes. No question I'll have to give up my love of RVing because of the cost of fuel. I've been RVing for close to fifty years. All the budgeting tips, boondocking, camping memberships, etc. will not save enough money of offset the cost of fuel today. I believe it will get worse in the future. All the crying about how we got to this point won't help. I'm thankful for the years that I was able to afford RVing.
Syd :fing32:

#46 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:48 AM

I did some web searching this morning.

Cost of diesel in Italy ranges: $6.32 to $7.50 per US gallon.

#47 OFFLINE   sydbette

sydbette

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 142 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NH
  • Interests:Travel-Recreational Vehicles
  • Camper Brand:Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:86FB
  • Name (Public):Syd

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:44 AM

I did some web searching this morning.

Cost of diesel in Italy ranges: $6.32 to $7.50 per US gallon.

Rich,
You should have continued with your web searching and found that the one Euro is worth $1.54 US. Check Yahoo Exchange Currency Converter. If you want to check the dollar against the pound then one pound is worth more then two US dollars.
Even more scary is the dollar is falling in value against most major currencies every day. So I missed your point. I've agreed with many of your posts but not this one, if your trying to say that were not so bad so bad off compared to Europe.
Syd

#48 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

Rich,
You should have continued with your web searching and found that the one Euro is worth $1.54 US. Check Yahoo Exchange Currency Converter. If you want to check the dollar against the pound then one pound is worth more then two US dollars.
Even more scary is the dollar is falling in value against most major currencies every day. So I missed your point. I've agreed with many of your posts but not this one, if your trying to say that were not so bad so bad off compared to Europe.
Syd

The cost was already converted to USD in the articles that I read - cognizant of it then.

The point is, if there is one, is that the Europeans have been coping with higher fuel prices for a long time, and they survive and persist.
Clearly, change is in the wind.

#49 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

The point is, if there is one, is that the Europeans have been coping with higher fuel prices for a long time, and they survive and persist.

Aye, and most Eurpean nations are the size of a single states in the US. When most folks live in really cramped conditions, like Britian, Japan, and what not, things tend to be closer together and you can walk to it. Compare the price of an average sized piece of property with a larger house on it in the US to one in Britian or Japan. In the US we have the advantage of enormous usable landmass, which makes things like owning land and a home more realistic than in places like Britian, France, etc....

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#50 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

We stumbled into the RV campground outside of Sorento:
http://maps.google.c...o...mp;t=h&z=18

This was back around 2002 when gas was only $5.00/US Gallon.

While they have a more advance mass transportation system (trains), they still like to RV camp.

#51 OFFLINE   RedRattler01

RedRattler01

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford Pickup
  • Name (Public):Chris

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:17 PM

I have to agree with Joe on the price of Euro vs. United States fuel consumer costs. Whats the price per gallon in Austrailia? http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/glo...ices/price.html If you squeeze a bunch of prisoners into a small cell, of course some of them would be willing to pay a high price for freedom... and the Good Ol USofA is getting smaller daily.

#52 OFFLINE   Kodiak K99

Kodiak K99

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • Local time: 04:52 AM
  • Interests:Camping/Golfing/Water Skiing
  • Camper Brand:Kodiak
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 3500 Dodge 6.7 Cummins 4x4 Dually
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:42 AM

Just got an email from one of our friends in Mexico. I asked what the diesel is down there? He said it is less than half of what we are paying here. Seems like a good thing going on down there. Time for a Southern tour??? I hope it's that cheap next winter!! Hmmm, how many tanks to Mexico?? LOL :fing32:
2007 3500 Dodge Cummins 6.7 4x4 Dually
SuperHitch and Torklift Tie Downs
2002 Kodiak K99 Camper...3100 lbs mt, 13500 BTU A/C
5x8 Continental Cargo Trailer
Honda EM2500 Gen
Ski Supreme Competition Ski Boat

#53 OFFLINE   NL Ten 2000 RR

NL Ten 2000 RR

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1092 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite Ten 2000 RR
  • Truck Make & Model:1990 Dodge w/Cummins

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

I see it the way Rich Conley sees it. There are so many neat places to see close to my SW Ohio. I will stay closer to home.

Gary

#54 OFFLINE   McClish

McClish

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance 845
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500 HD 4X4 Crewcab

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

Now that diesel fuel prices are almost $4 per gallon here on the East coast and they say it will continue to rise, how will this affect you this year. I was in CA last week and the prices there were already at the $4 level before it was $100 a barrel. For us, we are retired, i was not a Senator or Congressman or federal civil service, so our income is fixed at the proverty level. This means we will not take any long trips, but will take more weekend type trips. Maybe 2-3 hours each way. I hope to do more trout fishing this year. Last year i was able to go only 3 - 4 times.

How about you??

We will eat out less and not buy stuff we don't need but we will not quit using are TC. Getting out means more than most other things to us. Besides, eating less and staying out of box stores will be good for us.

#55 OFFLINE   Fabricator

Fabricator

Poster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 Arctic Fox 1150
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Ford F450

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

It's already hit home here in Oregon, I just seen diesel for $4.10 :thumbs_up: , then you add the fact we just bought a new 2008 F450 that gets terrible mileage :cry_smile:

So our trips include a few rodeos through out the summer and a lot of boating, with that said its not a good time to own a boat with twin 325hp outboards :1381:

So I posted just today in the truck discussion forum of this site about the so called miracle fuel additive, "acetone", I'm skeptic but if it works why not?

Any comments on this miracle additive?

Dan

#56 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Utah
  • Interests:4-wheeling, camping, hiking, fishing, and astronomy
  • Camper Brand:Outfitter Apex 8
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD
  • Name (Public):Don Curley

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

Diesel in my area has been fluctuating in the high three dollars to low four dollars per gallon range. While we don't like to see this, however, we are lucky to live in an area with an abundance of close-by National Parks, National Monuments, State Parks, National Forests, and wide expanses of BLM land with a lot of back country and 4x4 roads. There is so much to do around here within a relatively small radius that we do not foresee escalating fuel prices curtailing our camping trips to any great degree.
- 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty QC SB SRW 4x4 with 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel, 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission, 9.25 front axle/11.50 rear axle with AAM TracRite-GT limited slip differential, exhaust brake, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T tires mounted on Power Wagon 17x8 forged aluminum wheels, Tuff Country 2.5" front leveling kit, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (with in-cab controls, compressor & tank), Rancho RS9000XL shocks, full array of skid plates, Amp Research power retractable running boards, Buckstop Baja front bumper with Warn 16.5ti 16,500 winch, 6" PIAA 580 driving lights, and 4" PIAA 510 fog lights, Road Armor rear bumper with PIAA back-up lights, Line-X bedliner with Line-X Xtra Kevlar overcoat, and Undercover tonneau cover.
- 2007 Outfitter Apex 8 customized & modified with 220W solar, Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E MPPT controller, twin 6 volt T-145 Trojan batteries, Xantrex Prosine 2000W inverter/converter/charger, Honda EU2000i, Tundra fridge, Polar Cub A/C with remote digital thermostat/controls, Suburban 20K BTU furnace, Atwood XT water heater, ShurFlo Extreme 4 variable speed water pump, Suburban cook top with oven, microwave, twin Fantastic fans, Happijac tie-down system with Fast Guns, electric Happijac jacks, side/rear awnings, stereo system with outside speakers.
- 2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4 highly modified with 5.9L Magnum V8 ... locked & loaded.

#57 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

I plan on more walmart nights while in transit. I figure hit a nice picnic site durign the day then head to walmart at night. Save $20 - $30 which helps offset the fuel a bit. I would only do this while transiting, not spend several nights camping there.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#58 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

After shelling out over $1100 for diesel on our trip to Southern California last week, we will definitely be looking at going places closer to home. We've cancelled our trout opener trip at the end of April to Eastern Washington and may decide to go somewhere else for Memorial Day. Luckily for us, there are so many places to go that aren't far from home.

It quickly became apparent how painful it was to fill up the truck when diesel is over $4.00 a gallon. I can't believe how excited we got when we finally saw a station with diesel for $3.999/gal. Fill 'er up and quick! LOL.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#59 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • Local time: 04:52 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

im bringing this back up after Patti and i talked about this we still gave up our year round site but we thought about it and with all the money we have tide up in camper truck and everything else we use for camping why should we cut back on camping ???

a 300 mile round trip 2 years ago cost us $45.00 in gas this year with fuel cost going to be say $4.00 a gallon it will cost us $60.00 is that $15.00 worth letting thousands of dollars worth of equipment sit ??

NO not to us we are going to enjoy every weekend we can go camping i would rather cut back on going out to dinner a couple times a month and have the chance to sit by a campfire with my DW so i say LETS GO CAMPING !!!

Dan
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#60 OFFLINE   spkncarl

spkncarl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:33 AM

I plan on more walmart nights while in transit. I figure hit a nice picnic site durign the day then head to walmart at night. Save $20 - $30 which helps offset the fuel a bit. I would only do this while transiting, not spend several nights camping there.

That's exactly what we're doing. We'll hit the CG's every second or third day to regroup but otherwise it's free parking places... :fing32:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In