• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • Local time: 02:19 AM
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

Just checked out the pics on RV Net. That doesn't look too good. It looks like the top is trying in slide in over the bottom half of the camper??? I always asssumed slides came out from the side of the camper, not the top on down.
Like the roof is collapsing onto the bottom half of the camper?
Something isn't right.

#22 OFFLINE   sasha_j

sasha_j

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Local time: 07:19 AM
  • Interests:I live in the east but travel the west.<br /><br />Interests:<br />Our new Truck and Camper<br />Dirt Bikes and ATVs<br />Planning new trips<br />Hiking, Skiing, X-Country, Beach, Kayaking, Biking<br />HDTV and AV Design<br />Computers
  • Camper Brand:Snow River 8'10"
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 SRW
  • Name (Public):sasha_j

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:01 AM

I don't like that part about 'DO NOT OPEN SLIDE UNLESS COMPLETELY LEVEL".

I would not buy any TC that had such a warning on the slide. We are in less than level situations all the time as we like to boondock as much as possible. I view this disclaimer as a major red flag as the nature of TC's is to get off the beaten path where -heaven forbid- the site might be a tad askew....
Sasha J

Our Web Site

05 Ford F350 SD 6.0 PSD Auto CC LB 4x4 SRW Lariat, 11500 GVWR, Rickson 19.5 wheels, G124 265/70R/19.5/G tires, Airbags & in-cab control

05 Snowriver 8'10" Super Slide with 100 W Solar, All Weather, slide out propane & batteries, skylight. Living fulltime in our SR!

#23 OFFLINE   smoothetop

smoothetop

Poster

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Camper Brand:HOST
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F 350 PSD DRW

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

EXCUSE ME!!!! ON PAGE 3 OF THAT THREAD I POSTED THIS LINK. DID YOU SEE IT?
http://www.box.net/public/2actponbi8

I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM, FRANKLY, I DO NOT KNOW WHY THIS WHOLE FORUM LAYOUT HAS TO BE SO COMPLEX.
IF YOU READ THE RV.NET POSTS, YOU WILL FIND ME TO BE ARTICULATE AND HUMOROUS EVEN IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY.

BUT TO FIND THAT MY VERACITY IS BEING QUESTIONED WHEN I HAVE POSTED OTHER LINKS TO MY TC AS LONG AS A YEAR AGO.

IF SOMEONE WOULD LIKE TO EXPLAIN HOW TO NAVIGATE IN THIS MAZE OF COLORS, DUPLICITY, AND WHY AFTER PAYING MY MEMBERSHIP I HAVE TO LOGIN TWICE...

I JUST FOLLOWED THE LINK TO SEE THAT I AM STILL LOGGED IN. HAVE NOT BEEN ON THIS SITE FOR THREE DAYS.
DO NOT SEE GREAT NUMBERS OF POSTS HERE.
DO NOT KNOW WHY THERE IS A THIRD HOST CAMPERS SITE.

SORRY TO BE SHOUTING, BUT IT IS A BEAUTIFUL DAY, AND I WOULD LIKE TO ENJOY THE VIEW AND WATCH THE ACTION AS MY HOSTCAMPER YELLOWSTONE CRACKS.

I just came in after trying to find a position that is not level, in which my slide clears my rear window. I took more photos.
I have been responding in detail to all who have privately messaged me.
IF anyone would like to know why i am not quick to post the majority of my photos they can contact me privately.
It has nothing to do with any lack of honesty on MY part.

Is this camper only meant to be used in the planes of the mid west. My dealer explained that normally you open it a bit to get in and out.
But others say not open unless level.
Having a TC should not be a full time job.

When i received the PM on RV.net informing me of this other dialogue, a funny idea came into my mind.
Stay posted on the other site, to see how i can make lemonade when given lemons.

In the link above, are several sub directories that will be populated after i complete some rent paying jobs first.

OH I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THIS, WHEN I REMEMBERED SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT.
THOSE SAME PHOTOS WERE EMAILED TO PATRICK AT HOST A WEEK AGO, AND I ONLY STARTED COMPLAINING AFTER HE POLITELY BUT FOOLISHLY SAID THAT DAVE HIS BOSSSSSS DECIDED NOT TO BE NICE. NOT TO HELP, NOT TO INVITE ME OUT. NOT TO CARE. NOT TO CALL ME. AND NOT TO RESPOND TO MY EMAIL.

#24 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 08:19 PM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

EXCUSE ME!!!! ON PAGE 3 OF THAT THREAD I POSTED THIS LINK. DID YOU SEE IT?
http://www.box.net/public/2actponbi8
I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM, FRANKLY, I DO NOT KNOW WHY THIS WHOLE FORUM LAYOUT HAS TO BE SO COMPLEX.
IF YOU READ THE RV.NET POSTS, YOU WILL FIND ME TO BE ARTICULATE AND HUMOROUS EVEN IN THE FACE OF ADVERSITY.

BUT TO FIND THAT MY VERACITY IS BEING QUESTIONED WHEN I HAVE POSTED OTHER LINKS TO MY TC AS LONG AS A YEAR AGO.

IF SOMEONE WOULD LIKE TO EXPLAIN HOW TO NAVIGATE IN THIS MAZE OF COLORS, DUPLICITY, AND WHY AFTER PAYING MY MEMBERSHIP I HAVE TO LOGIN TWICE...

I JUST FOLLOWED THE LINK TO SEE THAT I AM STILL LOGGED IN. HAVE NOT BEEN ON THIS SITE FOR THREE DAYS.
DO NOT SEE GREAT NUMBERS OF POSTS HERE.
DO NOT KNOW WHY THERE IS A THIRD HOST CAMPERS SITE.

SORRY TO BE SHOUTING, BUT IT IS A BEAUTIFUL DAY, AND I WOULD LIKE TO ENJOY THE VIEW AND WATCH THE ACTION AS MY HOSTCAMPER YELLOWSTONE CRACKS.

I just came in after trying to find a position that is not level, in which my slide clears my rear window. I took more photos.
I have been responding in detail to all who have privately messaged me.
IF anyone would like to know why i am not quick to post the majority of my photos they can contact me privately.
It has nothing to do with any lack of honesty on MY part.

Is this camper only meant to be used in the planes of the mid west. My dealer explained that normally you open it a bit to get in and out.
But others say not open unless level.
Having a TC should not be a full time job.

When i received the PM on RV.net informing me of this other dialogue, a funny idea came into my mind.
Stay posted on the other site, to see how i can make lemonade when given lemons.

In the link above, are several sub directories that will be populated after i complete some rent paying jobs first.

OH I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THIS, WHEN I REMEMBERED SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT.
THOSE SAME PHOTOS WERE EMAILED TO PATRICK AT HOST A WEEK AGO, AND I ONLY STARTED COMPLAINING AFTER HE POLITELY BUT FOOLISHLY SAID THAT DAVE HIS BOSSSSSS DECIDED NOT TO BE NICE. NOT TO HELP, NOT TO INVITE ME OUT. NOT TO CARE. NOT TO CALL ME. AND NOT TO RESPOND TO MY EMAIL.

Dear Smoothetop,
As a manufacturer I am allowed to post on this site. As well as Host. Not to have any dialogue with a customer that has problems is totally wrong. I am not familiar with your issues, I also do not know Host's warranty policies. But by posting on THIS forum you give them every opportunity to defend themselves. Any manufacturer can have problems, it is how these problems are dealt with that will determine future sales. I believe Host understands this. The cost of your repair would be less than a full page add in a magazine. The cost of your non-repair may totally eliminate future magazine adds altogether. I truly hope they come to the plate and repair your unit. This would be the best thing for Host as well as for all manufacturers building slide-out units. Repairing your unit, after all the negative posts on both forums would be the best advertising dollar they would spend this year. Along with restoring faith in other Host owners on both forums.

Bob
Snowriver1

#25 OFFLINE   smoothetop

smoothetop

Poster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

When you talk to them, please ask them to put their customer service email account on their website in the Contact section. Also, it would be nice for them to post their viewpoint on here since they can post here.

I posted already that it is not well used. It is purposely NOT washed. If you notice the black discoloration is how i got it. THe wipe gaskets as Hostcampers calls them black rubber blades were defective on purchase. I have a witness when i first picked up the hostcamper that who actually pointed their their torn condition out to me. Compared to the other non- Hostcampers truck campers, these gaskets seemed chewed up.
I am not complaining about the shine or the exterior coating.

I am complaining about the lack of concern by Hostcampers. Also, i spoke to Don Smith in July. I was waiting for more dealers.

I will be trying to wash the camper today.

There will be lots of photos of all kinds up soon.

I am not hiding anything.

#26 OFFLINE   smoothetop

smoothetop

Poster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

To Bob from SnowRiver.
Thank you sir!
That is exactly what i have been saying.
That is what i said to Don Smith, and he agreed.
That is what i said to Dave. I did not buy an East End Product, i bought a Hostcamper product.
Be fair. Set up an appointment in a competant dealer, where i can realistically be expected to drive it, and have them make a repair a priority.

I spoke very calmly to Patrick twice last week. He calmly told me too bad. That those were Dave Hogues words. The warrantee is UP!
Actually, i figurer they should appreciate me not harping on it from the getgo, and letting them get more of their ducks in a row, more dealers on board, more research and product development. But no.

I said, that if after reviewing photos, discussion etc, it was determined something was ammiss, i would drive around April all the way to Host.
BUT i needed in writing that they would do what ever was necessary, in short order, as i could not be there more than a week.

There are bunch of little things, but i am concerned with the slide/window jamming, the ripped rubber gaskets as originally purchased, the cracks, the generator mounts ( which they upgraded in later years and they did give me the rubber parts, but i am driving a week too!) and any leaking seams that might exist ( no evidence of any ). I am not asking for cosmetic issues.

I was very calm.. Ask Patrick. His nonchallant reporting of Dave's decision to apply benign neglect, was what caused my vituperative comments.
AND AS AL JOLSON USED TO SAY: YOU AINT SEEN NOTHING YET!

Oh, regarding not being able to post on RV.net...I am told that where there is a will there is a way. I am not a ghost. The dealer and Hostcampers both have my contact info. They also no doubt have moderators contact info, or could have sent the moderators an email to convey to me.
I have not counted the minutes but no contact has been received.

I have three notebook computers, three cell phones, and an office staff durring the week.
Am i really so hard to reach?!?

Again, thanks for a breath of sanity in an otherwise chaotic apathetic enthropy.

trying to keep it smoothetopped despite the Hostcamper cracks.

Why this forum has no spellcheckerrr? or am i missing it?

#27 OFFLINE   smoothetop

smoothetop

Poster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

I just now noticed these comments about a dirty, worn camper, etc.
My posts on RV.net are pretty thorough. My responses to many offlist are detailed as well.
For any not following both Forums, please know a few quick facts, to best understand.
I have less than 9000 miles on the camper.
From the start, the dealer East End Campers, knew the rubber slide out wipe gaskets were torn a bit at the bottoms.
I thought it important. He did not seem to make a big deal about it.
But i could not understand, since water could get into the corners.
I brought it back twice, and he never fixed that.
The black rubber blades rub against the slide.
Black streaks form on the slide box. The slide moves in and out and in the rain, the black streaks blead over around the bolts, and edges.
I siliconed the corners the best i could.
I am not one to wash my truck more than once a year.
But i do frequent oil and other checks.
Due to the rubber gaskets, and the cracks, i did not think it prudent to wash the camper.
I have been waiting for a year to hear from Hostcampers that they had a dealer to expedite the situation.

Everyone i show it to agrees that this is not the kind of experience such a purchase should lead to.
They also agree with the results of the survey on this forum, that the Manufacturers service and stand behind their product is number 1.
My rig is not neglected. It actually has been very heavily invested in. Unfortunately not by HOSTCAMPERS!

#28 OFFLINE   norcal60

norcal60

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 01:19 AM
  • Camper Brand: "07 Host Yukon tent
  • Truck Make & Model:"06 Ford F-350 dually

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:41 AM

Smoothetop, sorry for your misfortunes. I called Don Smith(sales rep) and made him aware of your situation and the bad press. He sounded genuinely concerned and wanted to help. He made some phone calls, called me back and said someone would be contacting you. Probably on Tuesday due to the weekend and they have numerous shows.

Just curious, is your camper their early wood frame edition before aluminum and vacuum bonding? I have a Host camper ('07 Yukon w/tent) also and hope they stand by their product. I am also hoping the newer campers are more stout. I have been very happy with mine so far.

Eric

#29 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

Don is a pretty decent guy. I would strongly suggest you deal through him if possible. He is not big on internet, so I don't expect him to respond here, even though he is a member. I might add that it is NOT NATCOA's policy to involve ourselves in disputes. At one time we considered goingf into the arbitration business , but decided it was simply too much of a minefield. We will, however, expedite you getting in touch with the person you need to speak to if we are able. We have found on 3 or 4 occasion's that this is all it takes to get a problem resolved, but we make no judgments, nor apply any pressure. If you need Don Smiths contact info, please PM me.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#30 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

I might add that it is NOT NATCOA's policy to involve ourselves in disputes. At one time we considered goingf into the arbitration business , but decided it was simply too much of a minefield.

We did? I do not recall that! When was that?
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#31 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:15 AM

It was discussed among 2 or 3 when the organization was still being formed, before you were on board or, on the board, whatever the case was Larry. Pre Constitutional. In fact it was, if I recall discussion between myself & Bill Mathews, and maybe Bill Delorey, I don't even think Dan was involved, although if I recall he was the 4th or 5th person involved with NATCOA. So, I suppose it is not OFFICIAL policy, but it is what we have been following. It is not part of our Constitution that we act as a BBB, but on the other hand it does not say we won't, either. What bought it to a head was an incident, after I received an email & pictures of a camper (I won't say the brand), suffering severe structural damage. In that case I did contact the manufacturer (Nicely) and they told me that the owner had been the primary cause of it, due to modifications he had made to prevent porpoising. He had run a rope from the nose to the front bumper, placing stress on the forward vertical struts. He neglected to mention this to me in his original email. I accepted the manufacturer's explanation, rightly or wrongly, however it did make me realize that there are often 2 sides and you may not hear the entire story behind any one incident, so there are potential dangers in taking an interventionist approach. While this is not official policy, it is the one we seem to be following. We can certainly discuss that policy at a board level if everyone feels we should, but personally I think its territory we should not enter, at least at this time. There are legal ramification's for starters, and we are not big enough & strong enough to deal with those. My personal feeling on the matter is that we should stay out of disputes, at least major ones. There may be a time in future where we can offer arbitration services in disputes where both parties agree, but I do not think we are there yet, and may never be, and maybe never should be. There have been 2 other cases, both minor, in the last 2 years where someone had written me with a problem. One was with an Arctic Fox and the other, I believe, was with a four wheel. In those 2 cases I wrote certain individuals in the 2 companies, told them the problem, gave them the customer contact info, and left it at that, with no judgment calls on our part, either way. In both cases it was simply a case of the correct individual knowing about the problem, both were resolved, both customers happy and I told both to go on rv.net and sing the companies praises, which they did. My personal opinion is that this is the approach we should take, if any. Use our contact information in whichever company is involved, make them aware of the problem, give them the customer contact information and let them deal with it in whatever way they wish. There may come a day when we can can or want to be more interactive, but I don't think that day is here yet, and we have to ask ourselves do we really want to position ourselves as some sort of BBB. I personally feel we should not, but it is not my decision if the majority wants to go there.

This sort of discussion should really be in the BOD section, but I think on this particular issue, its best to air it out in front of the membership in general. It may be time to come up with an "official" position on this sort of thing.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#32 OFFLINE   Admin-Mathews

Admin-Mathews

Founder- Forum Admin - Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 726 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Camper Brand:No Longer Have a Truck Camper
  • Truck Make & Model:1993 CHEV 3500 TURBO-DIESEL
  • Name (Public):BILL MATHEWS

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

Paul is correct, When Paul and I created NATCOA it was decided at that time that NATCOA should never become the BBB of the Truck Camper Industry as it could become not only a legal issue but also a conflict of issue.
No Longer Have a Truck Camper.
1993 Chevy 3500 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, Reg. Cab, Long Bed, SRW, Rancho 9000X, Air Lift Air Bags, Auto Level Sys., Rickson 19.5X7.5 Wheels Dunlop 245X70X19.5 H rated Tires, Happijac Tiedowns, "Bed Rug" Brand Liner, Lance brand cab over struts

#33 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:22 PM

Paul is correct, When Paul and I created NATCOA it was decided at that time that NATCOA should never become the BBB of the Truck Camper Industry as it could become not only a legal issue but also a conflict of issue.

that may be true Bill but where in our bilaws does it say it ???? nobody wants it to be any different but it was never put into the constituion so now with the latest BOD vote have made the policy!! what shuda what cudda been decided by you and paul in the inatal discustions were never brought up again with in the proper mannor till now and as you can see it is a done deal "NO ONE IS TO ACT AS A MEDIATOR as a repisenitve of NATCOA between a TC owner and a dealer or manufacture we will pass on a name of a person that may be able to help if we have such info but we will never act as a mediator for a OWNER / DEALER or MANUFACTURE"
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#34 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

To tell you truth, I actually thought it was in our bylaws, but on checking, it is not. We do have a few revisions that have been made to satisfy IRS requirements that have to be voted on at the GM this summer. It would be quite easy to write a clause in to be voted on. Maybe we should. This is one of those things that became policy before the board was formed and I for one, assumed it had been discussed at a board level at some point. Another example of this is involving manufacturers in the organization. That was never voted on, either, even though it was one of the main reasons for this organization existing. Probably some other stuff will emerge after in the same way. We can only deal with them as they arise and if they are something that should be voted on or added into the Constitution, then do so. Some of this stuff even carried over from the original NATCC.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#35 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

Back to Host, I see Don Smith just registered, maybe he can shed some light. Don is good guy and a straight shooter.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#36 OFFLINE   smoothetop

smoothetop

Poster

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

I just now noticed these comments about a dirty, worn camper, etc.
My posts on RV.net are pretty thorough. My responses to many offlist are detailed as well.
For any not following both Forums, please know a few quick facts, to best understand.
I have less than 9000 miles on the camper.
From the start, the dealer East End Campers, knew the rubber slide out wipe gaskets were torn a bit at the bottoms.
I thought it important. He did not seem to make a big deal about it.
But i could not understand, since water could get into the corners.
I brought it back twice, and he never fixed that.
The black rubber blades rub against the slide.
Black streaks form on the slide box. The slide moves in and out and in the rain, the black streaks blead over around the bolts, and edges.
I siliconed the corners the best i could.
I am not one to wash my truck more than once a year.
But i do frequent oil and other checks.
Due to the rubber gaskets, and the cracks, i did not think it prudent to wash the camper.
I have been waiting for a year to hear from Hostcampers that they had a dealer to expedite the situation.

Everyone i show it to agrees that this is not the kind of experience such a purchase should lead to.
They also agree with the results of the survey on this forum, that the Manufacturers service and stand behind their product is number 1.
My rig is not neglected. It actually has been very heavily invested in. Unfortunately not by HOSTCAMPERS!

Hi Eric, just wanted to thank you for getting involved. My unit is the Aluminum 2006, about 14 months YOUNG.
Will let you know after Don calls.
Or if i call him.

#37 OFFLINE   East End Campers

East End Campers

Tenderfoot

• Dealer Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 04:19 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance , Host , Northstar , Okanagan , Eagle Cap , Big foot , S&S
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:18 PM

We would first like to say that we treat all our customers the same. In fact we go above in beyond what other dealers would do to help a customer with all of their requests (pre & post sale), and take offense to the suggestion that we are prejudice in any way against any one. After reviewing the numerous posts on RV.NET & Natcoa we can respond to all this slanderous and miss-guided information being posted by this Host owner.

Bill has spent the most time pre-sale with Smoothetop than any other customer in the past. Walking through every camper brand we had here at the time and thoroughly going through the appliances/options of each on his numerous visits to our location. In the end He decided to order a Host Camper. He also received substantial support after he picked up the camper to go over system usage, rigging, etc...again. Has someone ever asked you a question, and before you get half way through your response they start talking over you ? In explaining how to use the systems/tie downs the new owner appeared more concerned with how a video surveillance system could be installed.

Host offered to repair the damage (looks like just cracks in the filon) when Smoothetop called about his cracking problem(Ignoring standard warranty procedures of CONTACTING THE DEALER FIRST). 4 months out of warranty (purchase date of camper is 10/1/05) Site unseen, regardless of the additional modifications he has made to the camper that may have already voided the warranty in the first place. Host would provide the parts AT THEIR COST, and cut their labor rate in half to $40 dollars per hour on what ever was needed to fix his camper. This is apparently not good enough for him.

I will now Quote several of Smoothetop’s posts and respond.

** 02/15/07 06:41pm RV.net “WHY ON EARTH WOULD THE DEALER EVEN CONSIDER USING THAT PHRASE, UNLESS HE KNEW HE WAS SELLING A DUD THAT HE WANTED TO UNLOAD?”**

We don’t understand how we could “UNLOAD” a camper that was special ordered for him that we did not have on the lot.

**Feb 17 2007, 06:05 PM Natcoa “I paid a hefty piece of change. I invested more in it with dealer installed batteries, and solar panels, and more.”**

Upon purchase of the camper, a large list of custom modifications the new owner wanted was provided to us(Most way beyond what we are willing to do). Entertainment system, solar panels… no problem, also we did install 4 additional 6v batteries in the camper(the camper already had 2 in the battery compartment). He wanted them installed in the back of the Generator compartment. We called the factory engineering department and were told that the compartment was not made to hold that additional weight (264 lbs). We did however do a custom modification of installing them by the water tank as far forward as possible. Relocating the water pump/plumbing.(This was our last contact with him and he left pleased with the work we did!) We also installed TWO solar panels here. We CANNOT account for any other ADDITIONAL modifications/additions he has done or has had installed at another business.

**02/15/07 02:12am RV.net“spent perhaps $15 THOUSAND above and beyond the very high price of the camper in all my modifications. I will provide details to you, that will help you understand that perhaps your experience is NOT mine. I strongly believe that the consumer ultimately invests in the Manufacturer, NOT the dealer. My dealer experience was hideous. After 4 or a few visits and many calls, i decided that life is to short to deal with the frustration. I decided that i could not trust him, and that he did not like me, and that he was prejudiced against me for religious reasons..”**

We are curious how much weight 15,000 dollars of modifications has added to this camper and are appalled at the suggestion of prejudice based on religious reasons.

**Feb 18 2007, 08:27 PM Natcoa " But I hope that in the next few days Hostcampers, taking some wise advice, will reconsider what really must logically be fair, based on the fact that the dealer had neither me the consumer, nor the manufacturer's best interests at heart..” **

Sorry how can you say “the dealer had neither me the consumer, nor the manufacturer's best interests at heart..” when we the DEALER are first hearing about these new problems on a message board and have not received a single call from you the past 8 months.

**Feb 17 2007, 03:11 PM Natcoa “I just came in after trying to find a position that is not level, in which my slide clears my rear window. I took more photos.”**

Appears your slide needs to be adjusted and this should have been brought to our (The Dealer) attention as soon as the problem started occurring and could now be attributing to the problems you are having.

** Posted: 02/16/07 11:41pm RV.net "Hey get this. Before i left a deposit on the Host Truck Camper, i did research. I looked online at all i could find. Except for the FIREPLACE i was impressed with the Okanagans. So I asked Bill Penney (East End) about them. Guess what he said: "Oh, they got lot of problems... you don't want to one of them now!" Well, shortly after, I find them prominantly displayed on his website!!!! "**

Bill never said anything negative about Okanagan and is absurd to suggest otherwise. He did make a comment about a different manufacture in question buy the consumer, who had many units returned to the factory that year for repair.

** Posted: 02/16/07 11:41pm RV.net "BUT Bill Penney, said, 'IF YOU BUY IT HERE, YOU GET IT WITH HAPPYJACS..... The day i came to the dealer to watch him load my new Hostcamper on my 800 mile new Ford, i found he had BENT the truck bed by over tightening the happijacs. I did not want to ruin a good day. I did not say anything, but often people comment on my bent truck bed. If i had to sell the truck, i bet that would cost me thousands."**

He and all customers are provided with the CHOICE between using Happi-Jac and Tork Lift. Smoothetop on his own decided to go with Happi-Jac. We would really like to know how on the first time loading the new camper WE could have “bent” a truck bed by tightening front turnbuckles with our hands? and if we did, we are to believe that you did not say anything to us about it(AND HAVE US FIX DAMAGE WE SUPPOSEDLY CAUSED) because it would ruin your day? Your truck bed was not bent the day you picked up the camper. However we did notice that it was dented where the Happi-Jac brackets extend out from the bed when you came back in on one of the numerous times after purchase. We can’t be responsible for you re-loading the camper properly / driving habits.

** Posted: 02/16/07 11:41pm RV.net "The unit was filthy inside and out when i took it. East End clean it no. He said, if he had time.... blah blah blah. He could have anticipated not having time and called me the day before. Items were not correct."**

The only contact information provided to us was a cell phone number and a fax number. Which Bill recalled the new owner stating he does not always check his voice mail and would not provide us with his home number/(number he does check messages on). a Message was left for the new owner stating that the unit was not ready but he did not get the message in time and showed up anyway.

We have sold upwards of 100 Host campers with Slides and have had very few problems. Our customers take their Host campers on the beach here frequently, and that can be the equivalent of years of use. These customers have had no problems.

To address the site “HOSTOWNERS.COM”, Host does not sponsor this site nor did they know it existed until today. Any one wanting can do a “WHOIS” domain search and verify. This site is apparently operated by admin@harborclassifieds.com. In his Administrator posts he states he owns a Eagle Cap. We don’t know why he has started a Host owner’s forum.

In closing, we do hope Smoothetop can come to some agreement with Host and have his camper fixed. We also appreciate the fact we can discuss the other side of the coin (at least on Natcoa) for everybody to read.

East End Campers

#38 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

Thank you for posting East End campers nice to hear the other side of the story. I am not taking sides but nice to be able to understand what is going on a little better. Thanks for posting and hang around would be nice to have you on board. Thanks again.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#39 OFFLINE   AKSledhead

AKSledhead

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 12:19 AM
  • Camper Brand:'06 Citation 1050 w/wardrobe
  • Truck Make & Model:'06 Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Chad

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for another perspective. I was wondering when someone from the dealer/manufacturer was going to respond. I'm surprised it took this long. I just hope both parties can work something out where they both walk away happy.

BTW...It'll be interesting to see how long your post lasts on the other site.
Me the wife, 3 boys (12,14,19 y/o who's now Air Force) and an 80lb dog
'06 Dodge 3500 DRW,CTD,Airbags, Ranchos, Superhitch, Torklift
'06 Citation 1050 w/wardrobe, Loaded minus gen. and solar, Honda 2000
Family Fun: Snowmobiling, fishing, biking, camping

#40 OFFLINE   Budster

Budster

Founding Member - Former Director

• Founder
  • 1695 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Lazy Daze 30IB
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

Thank you East End Campers! It is always good to hear the 'other side of the coin'. It is unfortunate that RV.net will not let sellers post there. I would think that even if we mention this post here it would be deleted. We have heard many GOOD stories here about 'East End Campers' from many happy customers.
Keep up the good work, Thank You again :fing32:

ymmv,
Jerry

00 30IB Lazy Daze
Mira Loma, CA
Visit My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In