• 887 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Camper Brand:Retro 177se
  • Truck Make & Model:Colorado
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

An interesting post about the HOST campers on RV.net. Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#2 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • Local time: 07:05 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

I was wondering just how credible the post was. Poster dose not want to post pictures so it makes a person wonder.

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#3 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

I do have to admit to being concerned though. Too bad pictures are not posted. Host sure is taking a beating in that thread.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#4 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

I do have to admit to being concerned though. Too bad pictures are not posted. Host sure is taking a beating in that thread.

I'm pretty sure HOST can't post over there, but I'm confused about why they don't post over here! That's what I said in my email to them. Unfortunately, they don't put a Customer Service email addresson their website, only a sales email contact.

You just wonder what the bill is running up to in lost sales. The funny thing is that the people with the problems are only asking for help not replacement. You'd think that isn't too much to ask.
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#5 OFFLINE   Dean

Dean

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 444 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CT
  • Interests:Photography, Camping, Hiking, Travel, Resonator Guitar
  • Camper Brand:2013 Roadtrek 210 Popular
  • Truck Make & Model:2003 Dodge 3500 Laramie, QC, 4wd, DRW, CTD, NV5600, Jacobs EBrake, Ride-Rites w/on-board compressor, Rickson 19.5, Stable Loads,Helwig rear sway bar, KYB Mono-Max shocks
  • Name (Public):Dean

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Poster sounded legit to me.
The Upsons
Dean, Jeannine
And our Golden Retrievers: Wyatt, Waylon and the spirit of Woody 6/1/98-2/23/10 Rest well, my old friend.
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   looney bin

looney bin

Poster

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Camper Brand:host yellowstone
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevrolet 3500HD
  • Name (Public):looney bin

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

I have been follwing this one as well, I am not going to jump to any conclusions like I did in the round of Host bashing until I talk to the folks at Host myself on Monday morning when I pick up our new Yellowstone.

I would really like to see some pictures, but looks like that is not going to happen.

I will keep the group posted on how it turns out and what they have to say. I do still have the EagleCap...NOT that it should make me feel anybetter after reading the EagleCap Owners Forum the past few days...ouch, some of these forum members are down right NASTY! :fing32:
looney bin - nevada city, ca

#7 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:11 PM

Link to pics is now available over there.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#8 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:12 PM

When you talk to them, please ask them to put their customer service email account on their website in the Contact section. Also, it would be nice for them to post their viewpoint on here since they can post here.
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#9 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

I looked at the pics that are there so far. It looks really rough and appears very well used. I'm not saying that's any excuse for failing, but just an observation.

#10 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • Local time: 09:05 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:39 PM

i would like to see better pics of the wall and the hole camper the few that are there so far looks like it was not maintained very dirty and some one recaulked the area i will hold my opinion to i see more and better opinions..but from past talks with other host owners and mangment it just dont compute
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#11 OFFLINE   looney bin

looney bin

Poster

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

i would like to see better pics of the wall and the hole camper the few that are there so far looks like it was not maintained very dirty and some one recaulked the area i will hold my opinion to i see more and better opinions..but from past talks with other host owners and mangment it just dont compute

I agree
I would like to see the "whole camper" side front, back etc...it looks pretty hammered.

#12 OFFLINE   looney bin

looney bin

Poster

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

This is what I had to say on RV.net about this paticular Host situation.

Thanks for the photos, very interesting to say the least. I am a bicycle retailer and have been one for over 15 years, I have seen my share of warranty related items and manufactures defects, and expect to see more...it is the nature of manufacturing world we live in.

Now, if this was my camper and it was only 2 years old, my insurance company would be involved. I have checked into my policy and my agent assures me that something like this would be covered under the comprehensive policy. The “dealership” really is and should be your liaison to Host and should be the one handling ALL correspondence with Host regarding your product. That is part of the responsibility of owning a dealership and being in the retail business; it IS one of many responsibilities that come with having a re-sale license. No business enjoys this type of situation and it is NOT exactly a joyous event but it IS our responsibility to “do the right thing” for our customers. Sometimes it gets pretty ugly and we dealers have to go to “battle” at times, but none the less, it is how we retain our customer base and continue to grow, customer service is and should be any business’s top priority, without the customer, we have no business, plain and simple.

Ultimately the manufacturer IS responsible as long as it falls within warranty terms. When a consumer is outside of these terms and conditions then the relationship between the dealership and the manufacturer surfaces and becomes evident. A good relationship between the retailer and the manufacturer is imperative and usually IS the difference between getting something handled outside of the terms of warranty or NOT. From a moral and customer relation stand point, the dealership should be involved in handling ALL communications between the manufacturer and the customer, period. If NOT, attorney up. The dealership is the one with the most leverage NOT the consumer…sorry it is just the way it is. Now, that does not mean that consumers can NOT get things handled and have great results, I am just saying as a dealer myself, I can cause some serious problems for any manufacturer and they know it! Most of the time I want a warranty item handled it is how hard “I” want to push that gets the real results.

I am NOT really having a hard time with understanding how Host is NOT responding in person to you on this issue. They are going to “default” to the dealership first. I see it all the time, I have had more than one call from a manufacturer wanting information and/or telling me to handle the situation “in house”

I am well aware that Lance and AF, Bigfoot and other manufacturers have their own philosophies and policies in dealing with warranty related issues, and they may have superior customer service. Seems to be a very intelligent approach to keep customers happy and very loyal. Not ALL companies operate under what we consumers consider fair or rational practices, good or bad, right or wrong companies must have their own policies and procedures for handling warranty issues.

#13 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:06 AM

After seeing pictures on the other forum I posted this reply. Rivets appear to 1/8 or 3/16 light aluminum. Stronger one's are made but would pull thru a light aluminum frame.

Pictures show the use of pop rivets with no stem. These rivets are not meant to carry any shear load. They are better suited for light load or tacking light items together. A pull river such as a cherry lock rivet is much more suited as the stem is locked in place by a locking collar. Would guess that rivets failed allowing unwanted load to be applied to outer skin. Good luck and I hope all works well for you.

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#14 OFFLINE   sydbette

sydbette

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 142 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NH
  • Interests:Travel-Recreational Vehicles
  • Camper Brand:Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:86FB
  • Name (Public):Syd

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

Don't blame anyone for being skeptical about the Host posts. I can only talk for myself. My experience is outlined on that thread and sure is negative. Anyone that is interested as to legitimacy of my b**ing can contact be via forum or email and I'll explain as best I can about my negative experience with Host. All the other negative posts don't help or make me feel any better. I'm still the one sitting with a slide that makes my TC unusable. IF Host would work with me to help me I'd hug-em. Unfortunately that is not the case, maybe all the rest of the negative threads are lying and I'm the only one that's telling the truth? But I doubt it. I sure would like to see Host respond to some of my posts. If they did at least I'd know that they know I'm still alive.
Syd
sydbette@escapees.com
PS. I talked with a Host owner at my dealership who was trading in his 2005 Host Yellowstone double slide last week. His experience with Host was great. They did an extensive two week repair on his kitchen slide after warranty at the factory at no charge. I just wonder if Host decided that these types of repairs are to expensive and that may be why I've had such a hard time with them, or maybe I'm just an exception.

#15 OFFLINE   sydbette

sydbette

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 142 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NH
  • Interests:Travel-Recreational Vehicles
  • Camper Brand:Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:86FB
  • Name (Public):Syd

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

Don't blame anyone for being skeptical about the Host posts. I can only talk for myself. My experience is outlined on that thread and sure is negative. Anyone that is interested as to legitimacy of my b**ing can contact be via forum or email and I'll explain as best I can about my negative experience with Host. All the other negative posts don't help or make me feel any better. I'm still the one sitting with a slide that makes my TC unusable. IF Host would work with me to help me I'd hug-em. Unfortunately that is not the case, maybe all the rest of the negative threads are lying and I'm the only one that's telling the truth? But I doubt it. I sure would like to see Host respond to some of my posts. If they did at least I'd know that they know I'm still alive.
Syd
sydbette@escapees.com
PS. I talked with a Host owner at my dealership who was trading in his 2005 Host Yellowstone double slide last week. His experience with Host was great. They did an extensive two week repair on his kitchen slide after warranty at the factory at no charge. I just wonder if Host decided that these types of repairs are to expensive and that may be why I've had such a hard time with them, or maybe I'm just an exception.

#16 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

So let me see if I got this right it is the double slide that is having all the problems (Yellowstone) or do there other models have similar problems?
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#17 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

So let me see if I got this right it is the double slide that is having all the problems (Yellowstone) or do there other models have similar problems?
xnorp

That's not clear. We are only hearing bits and pieces, and Host isn't talking. I've seen three slide designs on different year campers. I assume they are making frame design changes as well. You'd think they are improvements although they could just be cost saving measures. It could be isolated situations or not!

BTW, I saw a 2002 9.5 Double Slide that was perfectly fine. The reason I didn't buy it was the price was too close to the new one with a warranty, and I got an extended warranty too when I purchased mine.

#18 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

I do still have the EagleCap...NOT that it should make me feel anybetter after reading the EagleCap Owners Forum the past few days...ouch, some of these forum members are down right NASTY! :fing32:

At least the complainant kept it in the Eagle Cap family - and the dealer was able to login and respond to the complaint.
Everyone gets a fair turn to make an ass of themselves on the EC forum (I haven't had my turn yet).
;)

#19 OFFLINE   looney bin

looney bin

Poster

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

Everyone gets a fair turn to make an ass of themselves on the EC forum (I haven't had my turn yet).
:fing32:

That would be open to interpretation Rich! ;)

#20 OFFLINE   mar v

mar v

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-250 Super Duty Powerstroke V-8 Diesel Crew Cab
  • Name (Public):Marlene

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:52 PM

Ok well this makes me sad to see everyone disgruntled. I have a Host Ranier with a single slide and I do not have any problems or cracks. Mine is a 2006. I am living in my camper and have my slide open all the time except when I go into town to dump. There is a warning on the camper that say DO NOT OPEN SLIDE UNLESS COMPLETELY LEVEL. Could this have been part of the problem? Maybe it was opened when not level.or maybe it is the double slide that is the problem.

As far as customer service. Most times I have gotten good customer service but sometimes they are slow to answer. Last summer when I caused damage to my camper they took great care of me. Try calling Don Smith. He is great at customer service but don't email him because he doesn't do computers well. He is in sales but he made sure that they took good care of me at the factory. I am sorry that the folks that are unhappy are unhappy but for myself I really don't have too many complaints.... but hey what do I know. Good luck.
When life gives you lemons, go camping anyway!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In