Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 PM
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 10-2000CD
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 F-350 V-10 DRW 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bruce

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

OK, Who else has a Sun-lite and what model is it?

I have an 865ws Hideaway. I really like it except for the small gray & black water tanks :( and I now want a four season model.

#2 Guest_jolsen_*

Guest_jolsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:30 PM

I have a 2001 Sun Lite model 1055ss with heated holding tank,s and the
polar pac winter package have had no problem with it

#3 OFFLINE   deboca

deboca

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM
  • Camper Brand:'04 Sun-Lite 1055 SS
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 F350 diesel, 4x4,DRW,Longbed
  • Name (Public):Gerry & Hazel DeBorst

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:46 PM

Hello
We own a 2004 Sunlite 1055 SS (loaded) http://www.acumentri...it/camper#2.jpg
and just love it -- but....
In the future I would like to own a unit which has a rear roadside-door entrance. Also I would like more storage space> As a suggestion why not remove the aluminum roofladder and give me a molded fibreglass storage box in that ladder area ????
regards Gerry
deboca@comcast.net
Gerry & Hazel DeBorst

#4 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:55 PM

nice unit !
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#5 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

I had no idea they made ones that big, I alwasy thought they were pop-ups

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#6 OFFLINE   Mike F

Mike F

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 Sun Lite 955SD
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 F250 5.4L SC

Posted 10 February 2005 - 05:41 PM

I have a 2004 955SD, bought last March - my first truck camper. ;)

#7 OFFLINE   Zig

Zig

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM
  • Camper Brand:Travel-Lite Mountain Star 700
  • Truck Make & Model:1500HD Silverado
  • Name (Public):Zig and Zag

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

Just sold our 97 Eagle SB (pop-up), Very nice unit, light weight. We bought it used this early summer to try out "truck camping". We liked it so much that we bought a new Travel-Lite.
The Sun-Lite unit was a solid camper that the previous owner had traveled all over the country with, even Alaska. His truck was a Dokota!
I really liked that I could look out thru campers front window- Thru the camper and see the trafic behind me using rearview mirror. I did modify the screen door with some plexiglass to do this.
Better to Zig then Zag
When is a discussion a "DEBATE"?
2005 Travel-Lite Mountain Star 700

#8 OFFLINE   Kyle Kai

Kyle Kai

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance 825
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F250 V10 crew cab 4x4
  • Name (Public):Kyle

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:07 AM

I had a Sun-Lite 690 for about 2 weeks, and had to return it. Nice camper, but it didn't fit my new Ford F250 super duty truck. They had to build a 4" wood platform for it to sit on, which turned out to be too flexible and weak. Plus it looked strange, perched up so high. Now I'm about to purchase a Northstar.

#9 OFFLINE   horselackey

horselackey

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM
  • State/Province or Region:ID
  • Camper Brand:2000 S&S 8.5 SC
  • Truck Make & Model:07 Dodge Ram 3500
  • Name (Public):Glen

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

We purchased a used 2002 Eagle SB this spring, and have had it out about a half dozen times. Most of my problems have been self induced and easily corrected.

Best feature is the 360 degree view from inside. Easy to watch the critters come and go through camp.

Biggest annoyance is the location of the refrigerator pilot light inspection port. The only time I can tell if it is lit is after dark!

Looking forward to several years with this unit.

#10 OFFLINE   PSscroller

PSscroller

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WI
  • Interests:Retired, Scrollsawing, Wood Mutilator
  • Camper Brand:2005 NorthStar-Laredo SC
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250 SuperCrew 4x4 w/camper package
  • Name (Public):Paul S.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hello Kyle,

I see you are going to or have purchased a Northstar and that you have a Ford F250. You mentioned having to install risers! Well, I too have a Ford F250 4-door (crew) and I just purchased my first Northstar Laredo SC today. You are going to need risers as well. Without risers the camper cab is going to bottom out on the truck roof. This is due to the deep bed of the truck. I am installing a riser of 3 inches. ~Paul S.
Paul & Kari
Central WI
Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab shortbox with T/C package
2005 NorthStar Laredo SC

#11 OFFLINE   WTM

WTM

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

This is due to the deep bed of the truck. I am installing a riser of 3 inches. ~Paul S.

We are looking to purchase our first TC. We are looking at the Sun Lite 1055. Is the problem of needing risers something that is unique with the F-250 or is it universal with all 250/2500 and 350/3500 series trucks.
Also, I would appreciate any comments on the 1055. Today I discovered there is a Sun Lite dealer only 2 1/2 hours away. I had been led to believe the closest was 7 hours. Neither of these dealers have a 1055 in stock some my view of it is website only.

#12 OFFLINE   ijon1

ijon1

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:horses, windmills
  • Camper Brand:lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:gmc 3500 drw

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

I owned a Sunlite. It was my first camper. I bought it from a a guy that used it three times. It was a 2000 model year. It was a good camper.

#13 OFFLINE   alschott

alschott

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Connnecticut
  • Interests:Engineering, cars, really small stuff, hiking, biking, and boating. And of course, my mini-RV
  • Camper Brand:Sun Light
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Dakota
  • Name (Public):AlSchott

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

[quote name='spott' date='Feb 4 2005, 04:31 PM' post='51239']
OK, Who else has a Sun-lite and what model is it?

I have a Apache 690, really meant for the Dakota it is sitting on at the present time. Not too bad for the price and weight.
If I had a bigger truck ie. F250, 2500, I'd go for the larger unit with the built in shower/bath.

Some good things: fairly well made for the price, all appliances work as specified, holds the heat in well (northeast is cool and warm at times.

Only item I miss is the shower/bath, but I'm not about to go into hock for a bigger truck at this time. The Dakota runs well, is used for cargo at times, and does its job well.

I was surprised at how well the brakes grab with the camper on back.. I had a ninny B) pull out in front, hit the brakes, and stopped better than if it was unloaded!

Al

#14 OFFLINE   SIERRAXL

SIERRAXL

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Camper Brand:SUNVALLEY
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC SIERRA

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

HELLO FELLOW SUN-LITERS (AND TCERS) I BOUGHT A NEW 2003 865 RD X-TRA-LITE BACK IN "O4 "AND I AM STILL IN LOVE WITH IT AND ALL THE X-TRAS! ....REAL WOOD CABINETS, ALUMINUM FRAME, FILON SIDING, TOTALLY SELF CONTAINED, KING SIZED BED, DINETTE, WET BATH , OUTSIDE SHOWER , CEDAR CLOSET, GREAT PRICE AND MORE! I TOOK IT CROSS COUNTRY TO L.A. CALIFORNIA , FLORIDA (5 TIMES.) AND ONTARIO CANADA FROM MICHIGAN ON A 99 GMC SIERRA 1500 4X4 EXT CAB WITH SOME UPGRADES. CAMPER DRY WT. =1700 OR SO , MAX WT. ON CAMPER STICKER =2300LBS. EXCEPT FOR THE SANTA ANA WINDS ON I-15 (THAT I LATER DAMPENED BY ADJUSTING THE RANCHO 9000S TO THE MAX) , IVE HAD NO ISSUES TO SPEAK OF. IN THE EAST ON THE FLATS WITH CAMPER ON, I GET ABOUT 15 MPG
AND CAN KEEP HER UNDER 2K RPM AND DO THE POSTED LIMIT OF 70, ON I-65 (IN THE KENTUCKY HILLS ) ABOUT 2400RPM / ABOUT 3K GOING UP OVER 10,000 FEET IN THE ROCKIES @ 11 MPG .

#15 OFFLINE   deboca

deboca

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Camper Brand:'04 Sun-Lite 1055 SS
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 F350 diesel, 4x4,DRW,Longbed
  • Name (Public):Gerry & Hazel DeBorst

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

We are looking to purchase our first TC. We are looking at the Sun Lite 1055. Is the problem of needing risers something that is unique with the F-250 or is it universal with all 250/2500 and 350/3500 series trucks.
Also, I would appreciate any comments on the 1055. Today I discovered there is a Sun Lite dealer only 2 1/2 hours away. I had been led to believe the closest was 7 hours. Neither of these dealers have a 1055 in stock some my view of it is website only.

We have owned a 2004 Sun-Lite 1055-SS since the fall of 2003. Initially we carried the rig on a GM 2500 HD diesel single rear-wheel. We did not need a riser
for that model year, the rig fitted very well. We use our rig primarily for the yearly "snowbird" route from MA to Florida and return. While we were doing this we experienced swaying when big trucks passed us - we did have airbags but still we did not feel safe. We then upgraded to a 2004 Ford F350 diesel dually and what a difference , I can steer our rig now if need be with one finger.Also this truckbed did not need a riser it fits perfect. (Do have a heavy duty anti-slipping rubber mat).
As far as the camper is concerned it is much cheaper to buy then any other rig and I felt the savings were worthwhile.
Especially since we only use it in warm weather periods and heavy insullation is not of great importance to us.
So far no problems with: generator, fridge, stove, 12 V water pump; electrical or propane.
The outside white Filion board has not de-lamited and continous to glisten and shine
Due to our "own fault" have had some problems with front Atwood hydraulic jack legs.
My original dealer went out of business. For special service needs, I deal directly with manufacturer customer service. no problem
Currently my rig is in Florida where I found a Lance dealer to do some re-sealing of joints as a protective measure.
Should you have more questions email me at : deboca@verizon.net
Gerry
deboca@comcast.net
Gerry & Hazel DeBorst

#16 OFFLINE   Edward Abbey

Edward Abbey

Poster

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:skiing, hiking, shroom hunting, history, emailing, reading, amateur naturalist, watching football (Longhorns and Cowboys), the West (just like Edward Abbey)<br /><br />and if I can ever find the right rig, camping (again--camped a lot earlier in my life)
  • Camper Brand:none yet
  • Truck Make & Model:none yet
  • Name (Public):(Edward Abbey)

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:08 PM

Are these Sunlites popups? Are they bear proof?
Wherever I go; there I am

#17 OFFLINE   SIERRAXL

SIERRAXL

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

THE 865 RD X-TRA LITE IS A FIBERGLASS LAMINATED HARD WALLED UNIT WITH AN ALUMINUM FRAME. IVE HEARD THAT THERES NO SUCH THING AS BEAR PROOF.

#18 OFFLINE   Edward Abbey

Edward Abbey

Poster

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:skiing, hiking, shroom hunting, history, emailing, reading, amateur naturalist, watching football (Longhorns and Cowboys), the West (just like Edward Abbey)<br /><br />and if I can ever find the right rig, camping (again--camped a lot earlier in my life)
  • Camper Brand:none yet
  • Truck Make & Model:none yet
  • Name (Public):(Edward Abbey)

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:10 PM

haha. good point which you shouldn't have to have told an oldtimer westerner. had a mama bear breaking into our kitchen window while cooking breakfast one time in S NM. immediately went out and doubled the thickness of the fiberglass covering and put in a lot more screws and a reinforcing frame. so you don't have to convince me about "no such thing as bear proof." :)

however, you answered what my question really was: fiberglass laminated hard walled". but unclear on if this 865 RD Xtra Lite is a popup?
Wherever I go; there I am

#19 OFFLINE   SIERRAXL

SIERRAXL

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

THE XTRA-LITE 865 RD IS NOT A POP UP. IT IS SIMILAR TO THE SUNVALLEY APACHIE BUT ABOUT 300 LBS LIGHTER.

#20 OFFLINE   alschott

alschott

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Connnecticut
  • Interests:Engineering, cars, really small stuff, hiking, biking, and boating. And of course, my mini-RV
  • Camper Brand:Sun Light
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Dakota
  • Name (Public):AlSchott

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

They make both pop-ups and hard side campers. If you go to Sunlite's web page, click on the apache camper do-hickey, you'll see the hard side and pop ups.
Mine is definitely a hardside, no canvas on the exterior at all. The pop-ups can be a little lighter, but not by much. The pop ups save on the overhead clearance and can possibly be left on the truck in the garage. Also, the pop-ups have a weeeee bit less wind resistance while going down the highway. Mine tends to start sucking more fuel at about 65 mph. Otherwise a fairly well made camper, good appliances (checked on the replacement cost of the heater, stove, and found that they would cost me about 1500 to replace.
Al

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In