andyo

Grand Potentate

• INTCOA Members
  • 136 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 PM
  • Name (Public):andy

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (atchafalaya_man @ Jun 13 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh wow...I love England/Scotland. Never been though. My wife lives on reading old English books.

Have you ever been to the states? What type of RV's are 'typical' over where you live? Let us in on the facts.

Dougie

Hi Dougie
Yes, I have been to the States - and Canada - a number of times, mainly Florida and the Northern states such as Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. I love your country and enjoy driving in the US (except trying to remember to drive on the wrong side of the road). We're flying out to Florida on Thursday for a couple of weeks in the sun, then in July to Denver, from where we'll drive up to Saskatchewan where i have relatives.
The main type of RV here is what we call a 'caravan' (travel trailer). They are not as large as the travel trailers or 5th wheels you have in the States as our roads are narrower than yours and our cars are generally a lot smaller as well. Motorhomes are becoming popular as well, but again they are not on the same scale as those in the US. I think I have only ever seen one truck camper in my travels, mainly because, I suppose, there aren't too many trucks sold over here.
You should try to come over sometime, I'm sure you would like it. Scotland is a bit like the Rockies in miniature.
I'll maybe see you on my travels sometime.
Andy

#102 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (andyo @ Jun 14 2009, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Dougie
Yes, I have been to the States - and Canada - a number of times, mainly Florida and the Northern states such as Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. I love your country and enjoy driving in the US (except trying to remember to drive on the wrong side of the road). We're flying out to Florida on Thursday for a couple of weeks in the sun, then in July to Denver, from where we'll drive up to Saskatchewan where i have relatives.
The main type of RV here is what we call a 'caravan' (travel trailer). They are not as large as the travel trailers or 5th wheels you have in the States as our roads are narrower than yours and our cars are generally a lot smaller as well. Motorhomes are becoming popular as well, but again they are not on the same scale as those in the US. I think I have only ever seen one truck camper in my travels, mainly because, I suppose, there aren't too many trucks sold over here.
You should try to come over sometime, I'm sure you would like it. Scotland is a bit like the Rockies in miniature.
I'll maybe see you on my travels sometime.
Andy

Thanks for the info Andy. When you get to the States, you should post on this site, a little travel itenerary as you go along. We NATCO guys and gals love to read the internet to follow our like-kind around on their truck camper travels.

Unless you post where you are or where you're going, you will never know when you'll be in the area of some of our members. Most of us would love to meet you as you pass through town, and show you around our little part of the country if you have the time.

Good luck on your travels.
Dougie (near New Orleans).

#103 OFFLINE   andyo

andyo

Grand Potentate

• INTCOA Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (atchafalaya_man @ Jun 14 2009, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info Andy. When you get to the States, you should post on this site, a little travel itenerary as you go along. We NATCO guys and gals love to read the internet to follow our like-kind around on their truck camper travels.

Unless you post where you are or where you're going, you will never know when you'll be in the area of some of our members. Most of us would love to meet you as you pass through town, and show you around our little part of the country if you have the time.

Good luck on your travels.
Dougie (near New Orleans).

Thanks for the information Dougie. I'll certainly have by laptop with me so I'll give it a go and meybe will bump into somebody. If you want to know anything about the UK or scotland in particular, don't hestitate to contact me.
Andy

#104 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

writer editor photographer for hunting fishing outdoor magazines. Been at it forty years. Don't ever want to retire.
Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#105 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12475 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

ando, you can start a blog here if you wish, see the button at the top. Be sure to download the latest MHM list in the members section and save yourself some money on camping.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#106 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

Your husband hauls Rex's lemonaide? What does that mean? Did Rex build you a lemon?
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#107 OFFLINE   andyo

andyo

Grand Potentate

• INTCOA Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (PigPen @ Jun 14 2009, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ando, you can start a blog here if you wish, see the button at the top. Be sure to download the latest MHM list in the members section and save yourself some money on camping.

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately on this occasion, due to time constraints to get to Saskatchewan, we will be overnighting in hotels. We should have more time on the return trip to Denver to see more of that part of the country. Going up, we plan to stay at Loveland CO and Deadwood SD. I would be open to any suggestions for places to visit on the way back.
I may have a go at the blog on my travels.
Andy

#108 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4236 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (Stan @ Jun 14 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your husband hauls Rex's lemonaide? What does that mean? Did Rex build you a lemon?

Stan read post # 23 in this topic....

Dan
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#109 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 12:36 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

Andyo - when are you going to be in the Denver area? If you are flying in to DIA, you'll be likely going right by one of the very best TC dealers around, 5 Star in Henderson, CO. Jay participates here a lot, and his dealershop carries a lot of campers from a bunch of different brands - right off of E-470. We live inthe Denver area and if you have any questions let us/me know.

#110 OFFLINE   andyo

andyo

Grand Potentate

• INTCOA Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (btggraphix @ Jun 15 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andyo - when are you going to be in the Denver area? If you are flying in to DIA, you'll be likely going right by one of the very best TC dealers around, 5 Star in Henderson, CO. Jay participates here a lot, and his dealershop carries a lot of campers from a bunch of different brands - right off of E-470. We live inthe Denver area and if you have any questions let us/me know.

Thanks very much btggraphix, much appreciated. We fly into DIA on 27 July, and intend to stay briefly, overnight, in Loveland, before setting off North to attend a family reunion in Canada. We fly out of DIA on 10 August and intend to spend 3 or 4 days in the area before then. If you don't mind, I will get in touch nearer the time, to seek your advice and recommendations on Denver and surrounding area.
I would be interested in visiting 5 Star as, believe it or not, neither me or my wife have ever been in a truck camper and my interest in them has been fuelled by joining this forum. Seeing some in the flesh might give us food for thought as we would love to RV in the US and Canada.
Andy

#111 OFFLINE   samiam

samiam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:camping, snow skiing, fishing, family activities
  • Camper Brand:2000 Citation Supreme 10'6" (no-slide)
  • Truck Make & Model:1999 Ford F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I'm a "Military Personnel Technician" for the U.S. Army. I always love my job, although some days I feel like a glorified clerk (or even an unglorified one)... Chief Warrant Officer Three.

#112 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1010 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (Dan Quinn @ Jun 14 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stan read post # 23 in this topic....

Dan

The nice thing about this forum is you can go directly to "last unread" The post about lemonaide was back in 2005! Thanks for the link, Dan. Rex doesn't sell lemonaide, though, he sells FUN and theres no price you can put on that.

I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#113 OFFLINE   Wendy

Wendy

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 146 posts
  • State/Province or Region:British Columbia
  • Interests:camping, canoeing, sailing, dogs
  • Camper Brand:2004 Snowbird 10.2RK
  • Truck Make & Model:1999 Dodge 3500 DRW Diesel
  • Name (Public):SookeTCer

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (andyo @ Jun 13 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Retired in March this year after 32 years with the police service here in Scotland. Vast majority of the time was with the Road Policing Department (highway patrol?) based in Glasgow. I am still in the 'holiday mode' but I expect reality will set in soon. Don't miss the job, but miss the people.
Stay on the west coast of Scotland and am now beginning to appreciate the good things about my country without always thinking about the bad guys.
Still a wannabe truck camper but not much call for this type of rv this side of the pond. Maybe sometime in the near future I'll be able to arrange at least a vacation in a rental unit.

I have been checking out RV exchanges between Great Britain, Europe, and Australia and New Zealand. Why pay for a rental unit, why not ask on this forum if anyone would be interested in exchanging their truck/camper for your home for a few weeks? By the way, the websites for RV exchanges can be found at: http://www.motorhomeholidayswap.com/
or http://www.rvworldwi...rms_of_use.html or http://www.rvforexchange.com/
We are on a year long trip right now around North America, but would like to do an exchange of our truck/camper in a couple of years and spend 3 or 4 months touring Europe!
Wendy & Chris
2004 Snowbird 10.2RK
1999 Dodge 3500 DRW Diesel
10 ft Porta-Bote

#114 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 12:36 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (andyo @ Jun 12 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks very much btggraphix, much appreciated. We fly into DIA on 27 July, and intend to stay briefly, overnight, in Loveland, before setting off North to attend a family reunion in Canada. We fly out of DIA on 10 August and intend to spend 3 or 4 days in the area before then. If you don't mind, I will get in touch nearer the time, to seek your advice and recommendations on Denver and surrounding area.
I would be interested in visiting 5 Star as, believe it or not, neither me or my wife have ever been in a truck camper and my interest in them has been fuelled by joining this forum. Seeing some in the flesh might give us food for thought as we would love to RV in the US and Canada.
Andy

By all means, drop me a PM when it gets closer. If you have never been in a truck camper, you have to find some time to drop by 5 Star. It may not be what you are thinking of doing right when you get off the plane, but heck, you will drive by (almost within sight) on E-470 when you go from DIA to Loveland. They have carried many brands and have quite a few on the lot. They have carried SnowRiver, S&S, EagleCap, NorthernLite, Northstar all within the last few years though that has changed as time has gone by. SnowRiver is out of business though I think Jay still has a few left. He may or may not be still carrying of those other 4.

Also note there are other TC related businesses around here to see if you have the time. Outfitter mnfg is right on I-25, and Hallmark is also pretty close to I-25. The big Lance dealer is more on the west side of Denver - close to Golden, but they do carry a lot of them on their lot.

I'll most likely be up in the mountains the weekend you guys come back through, so I'm not sure we could get a chance to visit - but who knows. We'd be getting back Sunday, August the 9th.

#115 OFFLINE   Muskie David

Muskie David

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1191
  • Truck Make & Model:08 Ford F-450
  • Name (Public):David Botkin

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

Wow! Has this post set a record for time or number of posts?

I was Deputy Chief of Police for one of the Chicago suburbs; then in 1985 my wife and I took off for almost 2 years in a fifth wheel (that's how a lot of the states in my maps got colored in). We settled in Virginia in 1986 and are still here. I worked as a real estate broker for 22 years (still having trouble believing that) until I was laid off last July and therefore became retired. My wife has been in data processing since 1967 and now is working for a non-profit, but only 3 1/2 days a week.

We bought the truck and Lance in March of last year and will be enjoying it as much as possible.

For all you U.S. and Canadian career service folks- Thanks for your service! I did 4 years in the Navy, but in peacetime.
David
Central Virginia
'08 F-450 diesel
'07 Lance 1191
'00 Triton 205 w/Mercury 200EFI
'09 Porta-Bote

http:// border="0" class="linked-sig-image" /> http:// border="0" class="linked-sig-image" /> http:// border="0" class="linked-sig-image" />

#116 OFFLINE   drylandfarmer

drylandfarmer

Poster

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Ne
  • Camper Brand:2003 Lance 820
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 FORD F250 CC V10
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

Worked for the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission from May 1,1960 to May 1,2008 We bought the farm i was raised on in 1974. Raised cattle, pigs, horses,corn,wheat.hay and did some custom harvesting of corn and wheat. Got out of the pig business when the mega hog farms got in. Sold the cows this spring so we could maybe do a little traveling. So far we haven't gotten away as much as i would like. Were still still doing the farming working on the house. We had a house fire in 2001. Still have some things to finish.
We did come to the shows in Ogalalla. Could not stay over night because we had wheat to cut. I enjoy reading the posts. They have been helpful and informative. We hope to go to D.C. and other parts of New England. Alaska is another trip i would like to make. Maybe next year.
Hope to meet some of you sometime.
drylandfarmer

#117 OFFLINE   karic

karic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:Family, fishing, camping, woodworking
  • Camper Brand:2009 Snowriver 9.6 "Collectors Edition"
  • Truck Make & Model:2003 F350 Extended Cab V10 Dually
  • Name (Public):2006 SeaRay 215 Weekender

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

After 23 years as a career firefighter and officer, I was promoted 16 months ago to the Manager, Emergency Planning and Response (Fire Chief) at Victoria Int'l Airport. I do all the emergency planning and safety management for the airport as well as run the daily fire hall operation. I also served 13 years as a volunteer firefighter/emt with Central Saanich Fire Rescue, just outside of Victoria.

I work Mon-Fri now................no more shift work.........and even have weekends off..............woohoo! happy0064.gif Should mean lots of time to enjoy our new camper!

My wife (a banker) and I have been married 33 years this Labour Day and are still on a bit of a learning curve with me home every night, but we're getting used to it..............at least I am.

We have two grown (and moved out) kids. My daughter is 29, married and works with a local dentist and my son, 26, is welding in Edmonton and living with his girlfriend.

We enjoy boating the Gulf and San Juan Islands when we're not camping and have a Sheltie named Bentley who also loves road trips and camping, although he's not too fussy on the boat rides.

R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In