Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

A ?? for the non paid members of NATCOA forum..

112 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Northstar Campers

Northstar Campers

Manufacturer - Founding Member

• TC- Manufacturers
  • 692 posts
  • Local time: 08:49 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:35 AM

Hey Jim Brain,
I know you bought an Okanagan, and by rights if the dealer in Tennessee were asked I bet you he would pay the 24.00 for you. If he does'nt, I will be happy to purchase your first year. We want to keep you around on this forum and to become a beneficial contributor, in passing on the knowledge you learn when traveling. I do not think your situation for traveling is that much different than many members, and it will be interesting to hear all your stories and see how the camper suits your needs. Be a MEMBER! Be a MEMBER!
Just remember, I am probably giving up all my profit on the Torklift stuff I sold you!! :P

#42 OFFLINE   Jim Brain

Jim Brain

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Local time: 09:49 AM
  • Camper Brand:2007 Okanagan 117DBL (blue/rear bunk)
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford SuperDuty XLT Sport CrewCab LWB DRW PSD True Blue
  • Name (Public):Brain

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

Jim you dont have to join as you said your here for some imfo and wont be interested in our activities and that is your choice we are all here just haveing fun no need to defend your reasons at all..some will join some will not.. that is the choice of each person in the mean time have some fun and ask away for imfo that is what were here for
Dan

Hmmm.

I am here for some information, but as noted in my initial response, I am interested in joining, I'm just waiting until we get the TC (so many delays have kept us from a TC, I'll believe we're TCing when the camper is in the bed of my truck, not before). And, I am interested in the Nebraska show next year, I was just noting that the rallies aren't that big of a draw for some people. Mainly, I'm just responding to you initial inquiry, I felt you were looking for a direct answer.

Using your scenario, by the time this guy come on line, has spent all of the money on a truck, camper, tie downs and air bags, giving him any amount of a discount is going to be worthless. I don't know about you, but if I just spent money an item, let's say Torklift Fast Guns, and I found out that by joining NATCOA, I could have saved 10-20% or more, I would not be happy after the fact.

Yeah, I mis-wrote that. Most people nowadays would start their research online (well, unless they're part of that strange group of people that buy the first thing they see, but I digress). I meant they'll probably wait on memberships until the main items are purchased, and they're incidental (meaning, you NEED a TC to go TCing, but you don't NEED a Good Sam membership, nor a NATCOA membership.

Truly, if they start their research online, and find this group that offers a 10% reduction on TLs, my point is yours. They'll not bother doing any more research, they'll say, "Hey, dear, this is a no-brainer. We pay $24.00, we get $60-$150 back after one purchase. I'm signing up." Later, they'll no doubt find more value, or it becomes a non-issue, but by that time, they are hooked.

While I agree with your carrot on a string approach, for the most part, I still firmly believe that most people, after reading the forums on a product they are thinking about, sending and receiving PM's with helpful, friendly people who own that item, getting feedback form the manufactures in some cases and understanding that due to NATCOA's close ties to the manufactures, better prices and better service are a byproduct, that should be carrot enough.

Yes, they will, but that may take quite a bit of time for them to notice that.

NATCOA offers friendship, a great forum populated by helpful people, close ties to several camper and equipment manufactures and several dealers, as well as several rallies and one hell of an annual show. I believe that should be enough inducement for most.

Let me illustrate my viewpoint. I own a Ford PSD. I frequent thedieselstop forums. They also offer close ties to many dealers (and many Ford employees). I don't have a membership there (mainly because they don't have one). My point is that there are lots of forums that provide close ties as such, but there's a perception that it's "free". I hear Paul mention that the forum needs support to continue operating, and that's the first I heard of that. I think it bears noting somewhere. I'm not disputing the value, I'm just noting that there's no mention of the connection between that value and a membership.

Hey Jim Brain,
I know you bought an Okanagan, and by rights if the dealer in Tennessee were asked I bet you he would pay the 24.00 for you. If he does'nt, I will be happy to purchase your first year. We want to keep you around on this forum and to become a beneficial contributor, in passing on the knowledge you learn when traveling. I do not think your situation for traveling is that much different than many members, and it will be interesting to hear all your stories and see how the camper suits your needs. Be a MEMBER! Be a MEMBER!
Just remember, I am probably giving up all my profit on the Torklift stuff I sold you!! :P

Since you outed yourself, I'll note that Rex's generosity in securing TLs (and his close proximity) (and his willingness to have a customer who didn't buy a Northstar (I love them, but I didn't find a floorplan I wanted)) is a reason why I am planning to join. So, to answer your questions:

I seriously doubt my dealer would pay for my membership. :-) The dealer was chosen because our desired unit has a significant backlog, and this dealer was closest with orders already in process. It's a transaction, but probably not a relationship. Still, I thank you for the offer, but no thanks. Since I essentially stole those TLs off you, I wouldn't want to pour salt in the wound. Finally, time will no doubt tell if we different or not.

----

I think I may be overstaying my welcome in this thread. I didn't mean to imply I'm a shallow tightwad who doesn't see any value in a membership. My main goal was to provide a view from a new TC owner. I also see TC owners as a frugal lot, which is a quality I admire. However, if they are frugal in their lifestyle choices, they are no doubt frugal in their finances across the board. I just wanted to point that out. Frugal doesn't mean stingy, just choosy.

So, Dan, dont' worry, I'm planning to join (assuming the TC does arrive, which I sure hope it does). FedAgent, it appears we may have to agree to disagree on how people view the forum and the help it provides, though I'll agree it is helpful and valuable. Rex, I'll try and contribute back in any way I can.

Jim

#43 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

Jim said "FedAgent, it appears we may have to agree to disagree on how people view the forum and the help it provides, though I'll agree it is helpful and valuable."

Jim, we have no disagreement whatsoever, I view it more as a discussion on how this club, NATCOA, can attract new members. That is why this tread was started and it was done so to solicit information from those who have surfed this forum, but have chosen not to join. We welcome your views and they are most helpful in growing what I, and several others here believe to be the best truck camper forum on the web, it is our desire to make it better and that's what this is all about. I have little or no disagreement with anything you wrote, your views are respected and appreciated, just as I would hope you would view my opinions.

Jim said "My point is that there are lots of forums that provide close ties as such, but there's a perception that it's "free".

The very reason that NATCOA exists is because several of us hung around others truck camper forums and they did not have ties with manufactures. This club was started because we wanted a club that closely associated with truck camper manufactures. We wish to have feedback and comments for them to improve the truck camper experience, and we have that here. I know of no other forum on the net where you can ask a question or address a concern and have a response back form the camper manufacturers or equipment supplier. In my case, I own a Snowriver camper. If I asked as question on another forum, let's say RV Net, the owner of Interior RV, who makes Snowriver/Snowbird camper is barred from answering, here on NATCOA, I will get a direct reply from Bob Mehrer, the owner, in a few hours, sometimes within minutes. That is an important aspect of NATCOA. I would venture to say that this close tie would be hard to find on any other truck camper forum, I sure have not found one.

As I said, please feel free to continue to provide us with your insight and opinions, they are important to us at NATCOA. And you are not overstaying your welcome, not in the least.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#44 OFFLINE   Kodiak K99

Kodiak K99

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • Interests:Camping/Golfing/Water Skiing
  • Camper Brand:Kodiak
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 3500 Dodge 6.7 Cummins 4x4 Dually
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:06 PM

It's been a while since I was on the site and it's time for me to chime in. We joined NATCOA shortly after it fired up. We joined in on the 2005 Pacific NW caravan. We had a great time and the trip up the Chute Lake Rd rewarded us with some Fast Guns from Bob and Torklift. This alone would offset my upcoming memberships for many years. There was many high points on the Caravan and this was one of them. Glad I'm a NATCOA member.
I will feel a lot safer hauling the TC up the Chute Lake RD again with the Fast Guns. Now I just have to figure out how to switch the Kodiak over to a SR. :P
2007 3500 Dodge Cummins 6.7 4x4 Dually
SuperHitch and Torklift Tie Downs
2002 Kodiak K99 Camper...3100 lbs mt, 13500 BTU A/C
5x8 Continental Cargo Trailer
Honda EM2500 Gen
Ski Supreme Competition Ski Boat

#45 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 07:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

Don't forget the free BBQ's at Eagle Cap and Snow River. Also have you seen what commercial companies charge for an RV Caravan around the NW? That free 4 week one we did wouldhave cost over $1000, and you still pay your own gas & camping fees. . I am planning one to Mainland Mexico either Spring 2010 or Spring 2011 ( 4 - 6 months). Also free. The year depends on when my wife retires.

We are trying to get other members to have a go at organizing them, Maybe to Alaska, for example.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#46 OFFLINE   WKelly

WKelly

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 8'10
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D/A
  • Name (Public):Willy

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:02 PM

Don't forget the free BBQ's at Eagle Cap and Snow River. Also have you seen what commercial companies charge for an RV Caravan around the NW? That free 4 week one we did wouldhave cost over $1000, and you still pay your own gas & camping fees. . I am planning one to Mainland Mexico either Spring 2010 or Spring 2011 ( 4 - 6 months). Also free. The year depends on when my wife retires.

We are trying to get other members to have a go at organizing them, Maybe to Alaska, for example.

I have not joined this forum, but then again I don't belong to any of the forums out there. I read them and try to contribute what what little knowledge I have and try to find info if needed. But I guess because I don't go camping with any of you and really have no plans on going places like Nebraska for a TC rally. ( I was stationed there and can't remember loosing anything there). I am not sure it is right for me at this time. I have been around since this forums inception. And to be absolutely truthful it seems kind of clickish at times.

I do appreciate that manufactures are allowed to comment. But it really only seems like a few choose to take part.
Not everyone has loads of cash to travel all over North America, and even if I did I don't have the vacation to take 2 weeks to 6 months off to travel. Maybe when I can retire(if ever) I may reconsider that option.
But for now I would rather use my limited time that I have for vacation and spend it with family.

That is not to say that I don't value all of the INFO and ADVICE I have received here.
And I hope that I can continue to contribute also.
And now even if I wanted to, it probably would not be a good choice for me. I just recently went through a layoff and have now started the process of moving to Spokane, Wa. and a new job with a significant drop in income(for now).

So I hope I have not alienated anyone, I really do value this forum along with some others I participate in.

Willy Kelly
2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC LB D/A
2001 8'10" Snow River

#47 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

I have not joined this forum, but then again I don't belong to any of the forums out there. I read them and try to contribute what what little knowledge I have and try to find info if needed. But I guess because I don't go camping with any of you and really have no plans on going places like Nebraska for a TC rally. ( I was stationed there and can't remember loosing anything there). I am not sure it is right for me at this time. I have been around since this forums inception. And to be absolutely truthful it seems kind of clickish at times.

I do appreciate that manufactures are allowed to comment. But it really only seems like a few choose to take part.
Not everyone has loads of cash to travel all over North America, and even if I did I don't have the vacation to take 2 weeks to 6 months off to travel. Maybe when I can retire(if ever) I may reconsider that option.
But for now I would rather use my limited time that I have for vacation and spend it with family.

That is not to say that I don't value all of the INFO and ADVICE I have received here.
And I hope that I can continue to contribute also.
And now even if I wanted to, it probably would not be a good choice for me. I just recently went through a layoff and have now started the process of moving to Spokane, Wa. and a new job with a significant drop in income(for now).

So I hope I have not alienated anyone, I really do value this forum along with some others I participate in.

Willy Kelly

thank you for your response that is why i posted to get the different reasons and responses and you are encouraged to keep on combing to this forum for your ?? and to help others

Dan
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#48 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

Willy, thanks for your candid comments, they are appreciated. We are trying to improve all aspects of NATCOA,, and making this forum better to all is one of our goals. You said "And to be absolutely truthful it seems kind of clickish at times" Is it clickish or just friendly? Several of us have been together since the start of NATCOA and visited with each other, in person and on the web, for a couple of years. I guess I never thought of that as clickish, just good friends talking and sharing.

Again, thanks for your views.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#49 OFFLINE   WKelly

WKelly

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 8'10
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D/A
  • Name (Public):Willy

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:19 PM

Willy, thanks for your candid comments, they are appreciated. We are trying to improve all aspects of NATCOA,, and making this forum better to all is one of our goals. You said "And to be absolutely truthful it seems kind of clickish at times" Is it clickish or just friendly? Several of us have been together since the start of NATCOA and visited with each other, in person and on the web, for a couple of years. I guess I never thought of that as clickish, just good friends talking and sharing.

Again, thanks for your views.

I also have been a member since its inception, if you look at my member # it is 65, and probably only that high because I was gone or very busy during that time period. But I still think it is not a matter of pure friedship just because you have been around since the beginning. But sometimes when people make a post it seems like they only get response if they are new or part of THE GANG.

I am not talking about myself, but I have seen this in most of the forums that I visit. There are certain people that only respond to posts that are made by their friends.
And other valid posts/questions go unanswered, or only get maybe one response. Where as other posts that are complete nonsense get 20-30 posts.
2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC LB D/A
2001 8'10" Snow River

#50 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

I also have been a member since its inception, if you look at my member # it is 65, and probably only that high because I was gone or very busy during that time period. But I still think it is not a matter of pure friedship just because you have been around since the beginning. But sometimes when people make a post it seems like they only get response if they are new or part of THE GANG.

I am not talking about myself, but I have seen this in most of the forums that I visit. There are certain people that only respond to posts that are made by their friends.
And other valid posts/questions go unanswered, or only get maybe one response. Where as other posts that are complete nonsense get 20-30 posts.

Interesting prospective. Perhaps you have seen something that I have missed. I don't recall ever seeing a valid post or question go unanswered. I frankly do not read every posting by every person on this forum, but I do hang around here frequently and read most of them. If a serious question is asked, if that person did not get a good answer, I am sure one of the moderators would have noticed it in whatever section it was in. I did look up the top 20 posters on this forum and their posting proficiency ran from 354 post to 2,765 entires. To me, that seems like a lot of posting made only to their fiends. I have seen lots of good information and advice given out on this forum, and I just have never noticed that it was only given to a select few.

Thanks again for your input, it is helpful.

#51 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:08 PM

Interesting prospective. Perhaps you have seen something that I have missed. I don't recall ever seeing a valid post or question go unanswered. I frankly do not read every posting by every person on this forum, but I do hang around here frequently and read most of them. If a serious question is asked, if that person did not get a good answer, I am sure one of the moderators would have noticed it in whatever section it was in. I did look up the top 20 posters on this forum and their posting proficiency ran from 354 post to 2,765 entires. To me, that seems like a lot of posting made only to their fiends. I have seen lots of good information and advice given out on this forum, and I just have never noticed that it was only given to a select few.

Thanks again for your input, it is helpful.

larry i did one better i checked the top 50 and they are all paid members except 6 so maybe he is right we are a little clickish in the way of that the paid members post the most..boy i never realized that i had that many posts...
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#52 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • Local time: 06:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

Willy
I sure hope that you don’t feel that we are clerkish and do think that FedAgent is right on. There are many of us that have spent time around the campfire and have developed close relationships and do get a kick out of razing each other in some of the post. Do feel that every poster on this forum is a part of the NATCOA family. A place to share what has worked for us and what hasn’t. A place where people with a common interest can share there knowledge with others.
Be well and happy camping.
Paul T

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#53 OFFLINE   dontfencemein

dontfencemein

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Camper Brand:NorthStar TC850SC
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250 PSD
  • Name (Public):Susan

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

I will also try to answer your original question and hope it helps. I do agree with some comments made by Jim Brain as well as WKelly. And I also am probably not your target group. I have only posted a couple of times although I have periodically surfed (read posts) since May 06.

My primary reason would also be frugality. If I want to give $24 to someone because their nice, friendly people, the options are endless. NATCOA is non-profit, but it is not a charity, so in my world, there has to be more of a reason than 'the people are nice'. I've arranged my lifestyle to be able to work less and travel/camp more. Since I'm not retired and not independently wealthy, that means I think before I buy. . .whether it's $24,000 or $24. While I'm sure FedAgent didn't mean to be flipant, the impression left from his first responses to Jim Brain was that 'quality' people either aren't frugal or know that NATCOA is a deserving priority for their expenditures. While later responses were more tempered, frankly, that left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

Filtering FedAgent's later responses (plus others), it seems NATCOA's primary offering is this forum - offering help from concerned TC owners AND manufacturers, followed by an annual rally and show, and finally, the opportunity to perhaps develop friendships with fellow TC owners. And I am aware this is a fairly new organization, so growing pains and goal shifts are normal.

The forum as an incentive - the setup is good and usable (i.e. compliments to your programmers). I think having access to manufacturers is a definite advantage, but you don't seem to have a large number of manufacturers that are active participants on the forum. The information and links to websites you've set up I think would be very valuable to someone who is shopping for a TC. But the value is less for someone that already has a TC and done alot of camping. Perhaps as you grow, there will be more questions on the individual manufacturer forums and that will hopefully increase the participation. What is a tougher sell is that I'm a member on several forums (a couple since 1998) and none of them are pay-to-play. I am not on any other RV forums, but there are others out there, so it really is incumbant on your group to sell the idea that your forum is special, better and worth paying $ for. I think it is a little far-fetched that offering manufacturer discounts will somehow damage the integrity of your organization.

The annual rally and show as an incentive. I'm a salesman's nightmare - I try to get as much longevity out of a product as possible. Since I have a new camper, and the add-ons I'm considering are minimal, I doubt a show would be a worthwhile use of my time or money.

The chance to make new TC friends as an incentive. That's always a nice option, but I've found that happens on every active forum. The concept seems to be that all of 'us' TC owners have something unique in common compared to other RV owners. Perhaps all NATCOA members have that perception, but maybe it's not shared by all TC owners. I don't fell that I necessarily have more in common with someone who has a high-profile 9, 10, 11 foot TC with a slide, than I have with someone in a small motorhome or trailer. The only time I would look at a large TC and immediately identify with the owners, is if they're pulling a horse trailer. But I also feel an affinity to anyone hauling horses, as traveling with horses tends to be a lifestyle with alot of common themes. The other TC 'groups' I might feel a kinship to would be pop-up TC owners and possibly Northstar TC owners (whether pop-up or hardside). In fact, I originally found this site as I was googling NS campers and wondering if there were any NS 'clubs'. My guess is that had I found this site with a subforum of a sizable group of friendly horse-camping TC owners, or pop-up owners or Northstar owners, I may very well have forked over $24 by now. From the posts in the subforums, it would seem the SnowRiver owners already have their own "club". I think that idea is a plus, but it is a little disturbing that a fellow SR owner finds it a bit clickish.

Okay, I'm almost done, but I do have a few more comments. They aren't meant as put-downs. I'm making them as an objective outsider to people who love their group. Sometimes you are so close, you lose the capacity to see what an outsider might see. Please take them as observations.

Some of the posts get side-tracked with inside jokes and comments. It is part of your friendships; while it can be humorous and charming at times, it can also be distracting. It could be a source of someone getting the impression of being clicky.

If you look at the Truck Camper Manufacturer section, there are over 1200 posts for SnowRiver, the second place is Lance with 47 and third is NorthStar with twenty-something. As an outsider, that tells me I will get alot of help with anything "SnowRiver", but might be hit-or-miss for anything else. The top-heavy SnowRiver theme also extends to the other posting areas. It seems like a huge majority of the posters have SR. Nice if you own or are buying a SR, not so nice for everyone else.

Lastly, I've seen at least a couple of people comment they can't wait until they can buy an "X" TC. Their stats show they own a "Y" TC. Both manufacturers are in your TC area. There are a thousand good reasons to change brands, that have nothing to do with the quality of the TC you're leaving. But since those can't be explained, an outsider could come away with the belief there might be something wrong with a "Y". I'm not for censorship, but NATCOA members (and especially directors and moderators) should be sure they're not leaving a negative impression of one manufacturer while they compliment another.

Okay, I'm done. I wish the best for NATCOA and hope I haven't worded anything ambiguosly. If so, I apologize in advance as my intention was not to offend.
'Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. . .'

#54 OFFLINE   Willys3b

Willys3b

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 06:49 AM
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 906
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab Diesel
  • Name (Public):Terry

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:39 PM

This topic was the nudge I needed to join. The information I gathered here and the opinions of those who seem to have been around truck campers for a while led me to select the camper I have which I am very happy with. I was able to make, I think, an informed decision. Well worth the the $24 a year. So with a sense of gratitude and to help support the site I joined. Sometime we take to much for granted and I would hate to see this site go down. I have to add that I think it would be a mistake to close the forum to non-members. I believe many people come here to gather information from "the experts".

Terry

#55 OFFLINE   Jerry_In_Dewey_Arizona

Jerry_In_Dewey_Arizona

Jerry_In_Dewey_Arizona

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Az
  • Interests:Rving, Golf, Photograpy, and of course computers
  • Camper Brand:Formerly A 2004 Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:Formerly A 2001 Ford F250 Superduty, Extended Cab, 2WD, 8FT Bed, V10
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

I will also try to answer your original question and hope it helps. I do agree with some comments made by Jim Brain as well as WKelly. And I also am probably not your target group. I have only posted a couple of times although I have periodically surfed (read posts) since May 06.

My primary reason would also be frugality. If I want to give $24 to someone because their nice, friendly people, the options are endless. NATCOA is non-profit, but it is not a charity, so in my world, there has to be more of a reason than 'the people are nice'. I've arranged my lifestyle to be able to work less and travel/camp more. Since I'm not retired and not independently wealthy, that means I think before I buy. . .whether it's $24,000 or $24. While I'm sure FedAgent didn't mean to be flipant, the impression left from his first responses to Jim Brain was that 'quality' people either aren't frugal or know that NATCOA is a deserving priority for their expenditures. While later responses were more tempered, frankly, that left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

Filtering FedAgent's later responses (plus others), it seems NATCOA's primary offering is this forum - offering help from concerned TC owners AND manufacturers, followed by an annual rally and show, and finally, the opportunity to perhaps develop friendships with fellow TC owners. And I am aware this is a fairly new organization, so growing pains and goal shifts are normal.

The forum as an incentive - the setup is good and usable (i.e. compliments to your programmers). I think having access to manufacturers is a definite advantage, but you don't seem to have a large number of manufacturers that are active participants on the forum. The information and links to websites you've set up I think would be very valuable to someone who is shopping for a TC. But the value is less for someone that already has a TC and done alot of camping. Perhaps as you grow, there will be more questions on the individual manufacturer forums and that will hopefully increase the participation. What is a tougher sell is that I'm a member on several forums (a couple since 1998) and none of them are pay-to-play. I am not on any other RV forums, but there are others out there, so it really is incumbant on your group to sell the idea that your forum is special, better and worth paying $ for. I think it is a little far-fetched that offering manufacturer discounts will somehow damage the integrity of your organization.

The annual rally and show as an incentive. I'm a salesman's nightmare - I try to get as much longevity out of a product as possible. Since I have a new camper, and the add-ons I'm considering are minimal, I doubt a show would be a worthwhile use of my time or money.

The chance to make new TC friends as an incentive. That's always a nice option, but I've found that happens on every active forum. The concept seems to be that all of 'us' TC owners have something unique in common compared to other RV owners. Perhaps all NATCOA members have that perception, but maybe it's not shared by all TC owners. I don't fell that I necessarily have more in common with someone who has a high-profile 9, 10, 11 foot TC with a slide, than I have with someone in a small motorhome or trailer. The only time I would look at a large TC and immediately identify with the owners, is if they're pulling a horse trailer. But I also feel an affinity to anyone hauling horses, as traveling with horses tends to be a lifestyle with alot of common themes. The other TC 'groups' I might feel a kinship to would be pop-up TC owners and possibly Northstar TC owners (whether pop-up or hardside). In fact, I originally found this site as I was googling NS campers and wondering if there were any NS 'clubs'. My guess is that had I found this site with a subforum of a sizable group of friendly horse-camping TC owners, or pop-up owners or Northstar owners, I may very well have forked over $24 by now. From the posts in the subforums, it would seem the SnowRiver owners already have their own "club". I think that idea is a plus, but it is a little disturbing that a fellow SR owner finds it a bit clickish.

Okay, I'm almost done, but I do have a few more comments. They aren't meant as put-downs. I'm making them as an objective outsider to people who love their group. Sometimes you are so close, you lose the capacity to see what an outsider might see. Please take them as observations.

Some of the posts get side-tracked with inside jokes and comments. It is part of your friendships; while it can be humorous and charming at times, it can also be distracting. It could be a source of someone getting the impression of being clicky.

If you look at the Truck Camper Manufacturer section, there are over 1200 posts for SnowRiver, the second place is Lance with 47 and third is NorthStar with twenty-something. As an outsider, that tells me I will get alot of help with anything "SnowRiver", but might be hit-or-miss for anything else. The top-heavy SnowRiver theme also extends to the other posting areas. It seems like a huge majority of the posters have SR. Nice if you own or are buying a SR, not so nice for everyone else.

Lastly, I've seen at least a couple of people comment they can't wait until they can buy an "X" TC. Their stats show they own a "Y" TC. Both manufacturers are in your TC area. There are a thousand good reasons to change brands, that have nothing to do with the quality of the TC you're leaving. But since those can't be explained, an outsider could come away with the belief there might be something wrong with a "Y". I'm not for censorship, but NATCOA members (and especially directors and moderators) should be sure they're not leaving a negative impression of one manufacturer while they compliment another.

Okay, I'm done. I wish the best for NATCOA and hope I haven't worded anything ambiguosly. If so, I apologize in advance as my intention was not to offend.

Good thoughts, but I think you missed a point. Just because you don't own a Snowriver, does not mean you cannot get help from TC manufacturers. There are many instances where owners of other brands ask for help and the manufacturers try to answer their questions, even if it is not their product. In fact I think there is a post to that fact in the forum right now from an S&S owner with a problem. I for one own a Lance and have gotten help from the Northstar and Snowriver manufacturers. My 2cents.
Family health problem, necessitated us to give up our TC and Truck and purchase a 2006 Pleasureway Plateau Class B, 22 foot motorhome, on a Dodge Sprinter with 2.7 diesel engine, fully self contained with Onan gen.

Formerly We had an 01 Ford F250 SuperCab, V10, and 2004 Lance 1010 Camper.

Jerry & Roberta, and Dog Bandit

We will always be TC'ers at heart. Our first TC was a 1964 Siesta Cabover Camper on a 1964 Ford 3/4 Ton Truck.

Retired Boeing, Renton Washington, July 1999

#56 OFFLINE   WitchDoctor

WitchDoctor

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 353 posts
  • State/Province or Region:OR
  • Camper Brand:5 th wheel, sorry
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Chevy 3500 d/a SRW 4x4
  • Name (Public):Chris and Karen

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:26 AM

At times I want to change my name to "PostKiller" on the forum for all the response I get, and owning a SR doesn't get you into any clique although that appearance is glaringly obvious even before I joined.

That being said, going to the show and meeting the members is what sold me. Making new friends (yes, you know who you are!) has been priceless. I would like to take a suggestion from another post and expand on it here (the Snowman stole my idea)!

I would like to collate a booklet that would be available for download in the MEMBERS ONLY section. Kind of an information pamphlet of stuff you want to have when you need it while on the road, written by those who have been there and done that. Examples:

PESTS Bounce fabric softener sheets repel mice in enclosed spaces, as well as clean bugs off the camper itself.
Put your jacks down into pie plates full of water to keep ants from entering your TC.

GENERATOR Put gas stabilizer into the tank and run the engine for awhile before winterizing.
Check exhaust for obstructions (thanks Larry!)

EMERGENCY REPAIR A ratchetting strap can replace a lost/stolen tiedown.

MAINTENANCE Use UV inhibitor on all plastic parts to keep them from yellowing/aging. 303 works well.

I think you get the idea. I will be happy to sort through the info and revise over time. Either post it and/or PM me.

In short, you get what you pay for. The other sites offer lots of opinions. The info I find on this site seems to be honest AND accurate. I would like to extend that to all for the times you really need it.

Just my two bits, and an offer to make this site even better....

Chris and Karen

2014 Raptor 332 TS
2004 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW 4x4, airbags, Ranchos, Superhitch, Hellwig sway,Torks
19.5 TOYO
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660

2005 GL1800 Honda Trike in the back

#57 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:09 AM

Good thoughts, but I think you missed a point. Just because you don't own a Snowriver, does not mean you cannot get help from TC manufacturers. There are many instances where owners of other brands ask for help and the manufacturers try to answer their questions, even if it is not their product. In fact I think there is a post to that fact in the forum right now from an S&S owner with a problem. I for one own a Lance and have gotten help from the Northstar and Snowriver manufacturers. My 2cents.

Good morning.....jerry dont you have a couch put in your camper by the snowman ???....... does that make it a snowlance ?? and chris and karen WELL said..and great ideas..............and we all take our time doing things and making up our minds esp me... ..so if and when the time is right...for all you non members......to join great and if you dont your still WELCOME around our campfire.......jim & nancy

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#58 OFFLINE   Jerry_In_Dewey_Arizona

Jerry_In_Dewey_Arizona

Jerry_In_Dewey_Arizona

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Az
  • Interests:Rving, Golf, Photograpy, and of course computers
  • Camper Brand:Formerly A 2004 Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:Formerly A 2001 Ford F250 Superduty, Extended Cab, 2WD, 8FT Bed, V10
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

Good morning.....jerry dont you have a couch put in your camper by the snowman ???....... does that make it a snowlance ?? and chris and karen WELL said..and great ideas..............and we all take our time doing things and making up our minds esp me... ..so if and when the time is right...for all you non members......to join great and if you dont your still WELCOME around our campfire.......jim & nancy

I sure did, had a rollover sofa installed, and had a great time with the Snowman and his wife.
Family health problem, necessitated us to give up our TC and Truck and purchase a 2006 Pleasureway Plateau Class B, 22 foot motorhome, on a Dodge Sprinter with 2.7 diesel engine, fully self contained with Onan gen.

Formerly We had an 01 Ford F250 SuperCab, V10, and 2004 Lance 1010 Camper.

Jerry & Roberta, and Dog Bandit

We will always be TC'ers at heart. Our first TC was a 1964 Siesta Cabover Camper on a 1964 Ford 3/4 Ton Truck.

Retired Boeing, Renton Washington, July 1999

#59 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 02:49 AM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

I sure did, had a rollover sofa installed, and had a great time with the Snowman and his wife.

I kind of like the idea of opening the tips and trick section to all paid forum members. Witchdoctor had some great tips and I,m sure other owners could contribute valuable info in this section. It appears for the time being Rex and I are the only manufacturers posting regularly and it could get a little lonesome in there.

Bob
Snowriver1

#60 OFFLINE   OldHarleyDude

OldHarleyDude

Poster

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Camping with the kids and grandkids. Touring on the Harley. Restoring old farm engines.
  • Camper Brand:Palomino 1000SL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Chev 2500 HD

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

This whole discussion on 24 bucks has my head spinning. The wife and I have been memebers of HOG (Harley Owners Group) since it’s inception in the 80’s. And for our $60/year we have a vest full of pins, some maps, and callused butts. I’ve been with this group for a month and the benefits are as follows:

Buying my Firestones through Michigan Spring vs. the dealer…. Saved $137
Switching tires from 245 to 265, and changing rear shocks (by the way; the ONLY difference between a 2500HD and a 3500 SRW) …… Saved $3,245
Finding an outside ladder extension through RV P&A… saved $14
Buying a $2.95 blowout adapter vs. a $69.95 “winterizing service”…. Saved $67
Meeting a whole bunch of nice, friendly, helpful people….. PRICELESS!

Maybe my old school innocence is showing through, but this was the best $24 bucks I’ve ever spent.
I’d expound more, but my forte is engineering and not literary prose; besides it’s the weekend! I’m out of here! Ya’ll have a good one, and I promise I’ll stay off my soapbox and be back with more questions next week!!!!
JOHN
John - OldHarleyDude
2006 Chev 2500HD Ext. SRW 4x4 6.0L TorquLif Firestones
2006 Palomino Maverick 1000SL

1998 Sportster
2002 Fatboy
2003 Ultra
"growing old is mandatory.... growing up is optional"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In