Why did you buy a diesel?

67 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Slider

Slider

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 AM
  • Interests:Camping - Wakeboarding - Waterskiing - Snowskiing - Fishing - MotoX - Motor Racing - Crafts - Bush Walks
  • Camper Brand:Northstar TC800
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250
  • Name (Public):Gavin & Lisa

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Reading previous posts - we may have to move this thread to the Boxing Ring <_<

In keeping with the topic discussion of "why did you buy a diesel" you're right.

Here's the link to US site Biodiesel USA. The findings and test results are very much the same in every other country around the globe.

The only creditable documentary to ever come out of the USA by Al Gore. An Inconvenient Truth

I look forward seeing a Biodiesel post if anyones is up for the debate.
F250 Crewcab PSD - Northstar TC 800 - Malibu Wakesetter

Why we camp with a TC

#62 OFFLINE   Rob the Rep

Rob the Rep

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 350 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:Holiday
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Rob

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:04 PM

In keeping with the topic discussion of "why did you buy a diesel" you're right.

Here's the link to US site Biodiesel USA. The findings and test results are very much the same in every other country around the globe.

The only creditable documentary to ever come out of the USA by Al Gore. An Inconvenient Truth

I look forward seeing a Biodiesel post if anyones is up for the debate.

"Al Gore" and "creditable" in the same sentence <_<

(is that considered flaming :sign0144: )

One big problem with biodiesel; it frees up old diesel deposits that can gum up injectors, pumps, etc. Better keep a case of fuel filters on hand when you make the switch.

#63 OFFLINE   Slider

Slider

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Camping - Wakeboarding - Waterskiing - Snowskiing - Fishing - MotoX - Motor Racing - Crafts - Bush Walks
  • Camper Brand:Northstar TC800
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250
  • Name (Public):Gavin & Lisa

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

"Al Gore" and "creditable" in the same sentence <_<

(is that considered flaming :sign0144: )

One big problem with biodiesel; it frees up old diesel deposits that can gum up injectors, pumps, etc. Better keep a case of fuel filters on hand when you make the switch.

Good point on putting anything creditable with politicians :ph43r: but nevertheless a very good documentary.

The truck is serviced regularly and oil filter changes are a given, regardless or petroleum based diesel or biodiesel. Various additives assist with injectors and the truck has been running well with biodiesel over last 18 months without any dramas. Runs fine with the programmer too. :evilgrin0039:
F250 Crewcab PSD - Northstar TC 800 - Malibu Wakesetter

Why we camp with a TC

#64 OFFLINE   Rob the Rep

Rob the Rep

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

The other problem (at least here in WA) is bio is about $.25/gal more, which gets us up to $4/gal. Because it's less refined, diesel should never be more than gas. However, there are more gassers which = voters. People haven't figured out why they're paying more for produce, milk, etc. duh!
It drives me crazy when we have more oil than we can shake a stick at, right under our feet and the tin-foil helmet crowd (Gore) keeps us enslaved to foreign countries that hate us. I wonder why a Canadian buck is worth more than ours?
That reminds me, I gotta get fuel after work <_< Does anyone make snow-chains for motorcycles?

#65 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

Ok Ok if we want to be political then take it over there. You all know better. Letting it pass this one time.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#66 OFFLINE   Rob the Rep

Rob the Rep

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Sorry George <_< Just having a little Friday fun.

#67 OFFLINE   NL Ten 2000 RR

NL Ten 2000 RR

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1092 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite Ten 2000 RR
  • Truck Make & Model:1990 Dodge w/Cummins

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:08 AM

Ditto what Torqliftbob said. A judge in England found 11 errors in the movie mentioned. I read where the errors must, by British law, be viewed whenever the movie is shown (at least in the public schools). Sun spot activity increases about every 1500 years (as recorded in glacial layers). We are being affected now by just such increased solar activity.

We appear to have another hundred years of oil within this country. By then, developed technology will most likely take over. (Not likely from beanies and weinies, either.)

How many others remember when man-caused polution issues were forcing us into another, in their words, ice age?
I do.

Gary

#68 OFFLINE   Dmax Dually

Dmax Dually

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 AM
  • Interests:Steelhead Fishing, Turkey Hunting, relaxing
  • Camper Brand:2007 Northstar 850SC
  • Truck Make & Model:2001 Chevrolet K3500 Dually
  • Name (Public):Jeff

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

I bought my diesel as I was drag racing in a Heads up Org and towed an 12K lb race car trailer all over the western US. My BBC Gasser would get 3-5 mpg and heat up. It was a 1996 Chev CC Dually. It made all the power I needed just at the wrong end of the RPM spectrum. The Diesel made all the power and Tq at the right RPM, and got 3X better MPG. It also ran cooler and harder. I also bought it for longevity. 169K miles thus far.

As for Chips, I have ran 2 different units. There are clearly some advantages to them. Firstly the transmission shifts alot quicker and holds RPM's longers. Second, the extra 50-75HP on demand is a nice feature when climbing passes. I experienced a 1mpg gain using the Edge product. You may say "Big Deal 1 mpg" Well it is if you think about it. You just added 75 HP and another 100 ft lbs of Tq and are now getting better MPG :fing32:
<b><u>Truck:</u></b> 01 Chevrolet K3500 CC LB Dually, Dmax/Allison,
Cognito leveling kit, Dual Bilsteins, Reunel Frontend Replacement,
Warn M15000 Winch, 60 Gallon Midship TFI fuel tank, Alcoa Wheels

<b><u>Camper:</u></b> 07 Northstar 850SC, Dual Optima batteries, Polar Cub AC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In