• Local time: 09:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, and travel, Four wheeling, Photography
  • Camper Brand:2008 Snow River 10.8
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 F450 CC, DRW,PSD
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

No.
If a chip is necessary, then the wrong truck was purchased.
A chip will allow two things:
1) Getting away with dangerous stunt driving- like passing when one shouldn't.
2) Racing

Gee, I did not realiize that a chip in my truck would turn me into a dangerous stunt driver. I suppose that all non-chipped-truck owners dirve responsibly at all times.
You chip users should admit to it--- you are the face of evil.
2008 SD F450 PSD CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat, Auto trans, 4.30 gears, 2008 Snowriver 108. Tow a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited or a Jeep Liberty.

#42 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 03:49 PM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:32 PM

Gee, I did not realiize that a chip in my truck would turn me into a dangerous stunt driver. I suppose that all non-chipped-truck owners dirve responsibly at all times.
You chip users should admit to it--- you are the face of evil.

Ya, I was kinda wondering what this was all about. I have been runnin' a power programmer for 2 years now and haven't had a ticket yet. I like mine for the increased fuel economy. One of the attributes he forgot to mention was the diesel lasts ten times longer then a gasser engine............Steve...

#43 OFFLINE   pslocum

pslocum

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NH
  • Interests:Travel
    Fishing , Salt and Fresh water
    Hunting. upland game
    Camping anywhere
  • Camper Brand:2005 Adventurer 90 RDS
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax Diesel
  • Name (Public):Phil

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

pslocum, Is that the Vortec 6.0L? My folks 2003 Chevy Express has that one in it and it never got better than 9.5mpg pulling their toyhauler around. its a 1ton SRW, pulling about a 8000lb trailer.

JoeChiOhki,

Yes it's a 6.0L Vortec, They will lap-up the fuel depending how you drive, I was on two lane roads most of the trip except from Newport, ME to Bangor, 33 mi I think. I usually get good mileage in my rigs it's a lot of how I drive I guess. Phil

Phil
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2005 Adventurer 90RDS
2001 Lund 1675 50 hp honda[/b]

#44 OFFLINE   FamilyTime

FamilyTime

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 11:49 AM
  • Interests:Gettin lost....
  • Camper Brand:05 Shadow Cruiser
  • Truck Make & Model:05 Dodge 3500 QuadC CTD SRW
  • Name (Public):Dennis

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

Joey Chitwood will tell ya....it's not speed or power that puts a vehicle on two wheels...it's all about balance and ramp height...

;)

:)

#45 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping, Four Wheeling, GIS, Linux, Sailing, and EATING!
  • Camper Brand:Lance Legend 480
  • Truck Make & Model:99 Dodge Cummins 2500
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:12 PM

I traded in my 2000 dodge 2500 gasser 360 v-8 on the 99 version CTD that I'm driving now. The old (newer) truck: upshift...downshift...upshift...downshift...upshift...downshift...upshift...down
shift...upshift...downshift
and that's just going up the driveway ;)
96 Lance Legend M480, has cold weather package, aircon, wet bathroom, microwave, coleman powermate 1850
Sits on a 99 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 camper package w/Firestone airbags.

Sticks and stones may break my bones.......
So please PLEASE don't throw sticks and stones!

#46 OFFLINE   FamilyTime

FamilyTime

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Gettin lost....
  • Camper Brand:05 Shadow Cruiser
  • Truck Make & Model:05 Dodge 3500 QuadC CTD SRW
  • Name (Public):Dennis

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

I find if I run mine at 2100-2200 rpm it just runs over everything...no down shiftin....try to run it at 55-60mph and hit a big long hill it willl kick down.....

Cruzed home (North Jersey) from Key West in two days in early April pullin our loaded TT and I took the long way home via RT 81....

The Cummins is a pullin machine ;)

#47 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 08:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

I'm not sure that I'd buy another diesel.

Two reasons:
1) the diesel engine is heavier and reduces payload capacity = smaller camper.
2) the diesel cost $5K more
3) Service costs more.
4) Diesel makes for an costly daily runner.
5) Noise comfort level

Diesel powered trucks limit out around 4500 lbs payload.
The power difference between diesel and gas to haul 4500 pounds isn't much.

On carvan last year, Paul's old gasser was out in the lead goin' strong.
No problems there.

Yes, the diesel is mighty powerful. Diesel last forever.
I don't.

#48 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 03:49 PM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:10 PM

Rich:
You may want to ask Paully how much gas that big 460 guzzles on any given day with the camper loaded. Also you may want to read his log of his trip to Baja. I guess this is why he's movin' over to the diesel corner. I'll take my diesel anyday as it'll still be haullin' ass while your gasser is in the boneyard!! This is like comparin' apples and oranges. There's no comparison, really. Pullin' my 10K# Citation Supreme 5'er at 1800 to 2200 RPM with my Dmax is far more appealing then screamin' a gasser at 3000-3500 RPM to get into the power band. I know, I've been there & done that. Never again. No flamin' intended. Paully!!............................Steve...

#49 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:17 AM

Rich:
You may want to ask Paully how much gas that big 460 guzzles on any given day with the camper loaded. Also you may want to read his log of his trip to Baja. I guess this is why he's movin' over to the diesel corner. I'll take my diesel anyday as it'll still be haullin' ass while your gasser is in the boneyard!! This is like comparin' apples and oranges. There's no comparison, really. Pullin' my 10K# Citation Supreme 5'er at 1800 to 2200 RPM with my Dmax is far more appealing then screamin' a gasser at 3000-3500 RPM to get into the power band. I know, I've been there & done that. Never again. No flamin' intended. Paully!!............................Steve...

Aye! Therein lies the rub.
It is comparing apples and oranges.

Your post expresses more of an emotion - the feeling of confidence when accelerating up a hill with a diesel.
The "screamin'" gas engine is only "screamin'" due to impatience.

A little slower speed during those few times when traveling up hill can eliminate that problem.
Compare that small percentage of time, to the time spend clanking around town in a diesel daily driver.

Based on use, a daily driver versus a diesel engine used occasionally for mountain climbing with camper makes the decision more difficult.
I dunno'. . .it depends on how one "feels" about their driving needs.

But for pure logic. . .diesel doesn't make sense for some people.
For you, it apparently does. For me, I'm ambivalent about it.
IF I used it as a daily driver then I would seriously consider a gas engine.

Oh, and here's one more aspect of diesel engines: Greasy truck stop fueling stations.
You diesel drivers know what I mean - bring gloves.

#50 OFFLINE   Trucker&RVer

Trucker&RVer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WI
  • Interests:Amateur radio, (WD9HTE).
    Heating with wood pellets.
  • Camper Brand:Researching all hardsides
  • Truck Make & Model:'85 Chevy 2500HD 4x2
  • Name (Public):Tall Paul

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:33 AM

Wow, my favorite subject; finding the most fuel efficient diesel truck.
Thanks to all who talked to me at the show and wrote about it here.

A semi truck mechanic at work told me if I added an aftermarket overdrive unit to the rear of a transmission (that already has factory manual overdrive), I could reduce the RPM at highway speeds.
But then my country mechanic who works on cars, trucks, and bulldozers told me that the torque or power of the current diesel engines, are too strong for such a add on.
He told me about something I rarely read about; the Power Curve of each engine. He said that each serial number can be different. Apparently running at a lower RPM at highway speeds is not always the answer to getting higher MPG. It sounded like I would have to take him with, if I ever ordered a new truck. He said if I bought a 5 speed used truck, he could put in a 6 speed for $3000, but that would not guarantee better fuel mileage. Can anyone clearly explain this Power Curve subject?
Then there is the important rear axle ratio! Is a lower number like 3.50 always going to give higher MPG?
Paul.

#51 OFFLINE   jerokaz

jerokaz

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Camper Brand:2002 Fleetwood Elkhorn
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Ford F250SD Powerstroke 4X4 CCLB
  • Name (Public):Ron & Jenn Balducci

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:03 AM

Hi,

I was a diesel mechanic for a CAT dealer for 15 years and now dare I say, sell them. Iron is iron when it comes to the principals of diesel engines. Basically there are two curves that you need to concern yourself with: Torque Curve and Power curve. When you look at the name plate rating on diesel engines eg: 325 Hp @ 3000 rpm, normally that is what is called the set point. The set point is the point at which the torque curve and the power/horse power curve cross. It is the most eff. rpm at which the engine runs. Now it has been my experiance that in order to gain mpg, you need to lug the diesel engine. As you lug the engine you lose hp but gain torque. Putting a diesel engine is a good thing. During a lug, the hp fall off is gradual, but there is a point at which both the torque and hp start to fall, you would want to shift alittle before that. The bottom line is, you want to lug the engine, because of the torque properties of a diesel engine, you can still pull, but you are turning at less rpm which = less power strokes= less fuel=less rpm/mile=longer engine life. I've done alot of dynos and that's what I've found.

#52 OFFLINE   blulund

blulund

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 342 posts
  • Local time: 04:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:North Dakota
  • Interests:Elk and Mule Deer Hunting, Walleye fishing, & Golden Retrievers
  • Camper Brand:2007 37REB Escalade by K-Z
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F350 King Ranch dually crew cab
  • Name (Public):Bob Martin

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:09 AM

bump
"May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!"

Kota the Golden Retriever, rescued on 9-19-2009
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, DRW, 6.0 Powerstroke, 4X4, Crewcab, Copper with Arizona Beige accents
2007 Escalade by K-Z 37 REB fifth wheel
2001 Sportcraft 25 ft Sportfish

#53 OFFLINE   Jumbo Jet

Jumbo Jet

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Arkansas
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1050S
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Dodge Ram 3500

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

I'm not sure that I'd buy another diesel.

Two reasons:
1) the diesel engine is heavier and reduces payload capacity = smaller camper.
2) the diesel cost $5K more
3) Service costs more.
4) Diesel makes for an costly daily runner.
5) Noise comfort level

Diesel powered trucks limit out around 4500 lbs payload.
The power difference between diesel and gas to haul 4500 pounds isn't much.

On carvan last year, Paul's old gasser was out in the lead goin' strong.
No problems there.

Yes, the diesel is mighty powerful. Diesel last forever.
I don't.

I see a lot of people trying to make the real difference between a diesel and gas as $$.

I bought a diesel to best match the work that I intend to do with the truck. The diesel engine does MY work the best. The diesel does the work at 1900 RPM where the gas engine needed 4000 RPM.

To discuss the 'patience' comment. It seems easier to climb a hill at 50-60 with a diesel than it does to endure the screaming gas engine - and yes, you will have to downshift to achieve 30 mph and the RPMs go higher. I am not even going to mention all those people BEHIND you trying to get that opportunity to pass and what you have to endure when they finally pass. Or, just exercise more patience and pull over to the side of the road at every hill and let all the cars pass. You will most likely still reach your destination - just not this month!

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CTD - Lance 1050S

#54 OFFLINE   NeilB

NeilB

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 861
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 F350 4x4 SRW CC V10

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:04 AM

I have 2005 F350 with V10. Bought the truck with the intention of carrying a Lance 861. Love the engine...Smooth as silk, and plenty of power for hauling a camper, even with a light, smallish trailer. Traveling up the 395 grade from Bishop to June Lake, here in California, it works, but it's not straining. Mileage isn't great, but it's not bad for what it is. Now, if I were towing, I'd have bought the diesel, no doubt about it!. My logic was this: The diesel option adds $5,000+ to the purchase price, $$ to the servicing, and 900+ lbs to the weight. Those extra $$ will buy quite a bit of gas, so you really have to be honest about how long you will own the truck. And if I'm not mistaken, the #900 comes off the rated cargo capacity of the truck. That said, there's a good chance my next truck will be an oil burner. I think that's the direction technology (bio diesel fuel, as opposed to methanol) and world oil market is headed.

#55 OFFLINE   Slider

Slider

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Camping - Wakeboarding - Waterskiing - Snowskiing - Fishing - MotoX - Motor Racing - Crafts - Bush Walks
  • Camper Brand:Northstar TC800
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250
  • Name (Public):Gavin & Lisa

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

"Why did you buy a diesel?"

Biodiesel!

1. Reduce the amount of green house gases and hopefully leave something for our grand children and their children to enjoy. :lol:

2. Fuel prices will double in the next 2 years and we'll be trading these campers in for small pop-tops and 4 cylinder diesels or hybrid vehicles. :lol:

3. Fossil fuels are running out... need I say more. :)

I run my F250 on biodiesel whenever I can and still have fun with the new Superchips Cortex programmer installed. :D
F250 Crewcab PSD - Northstar TC 800 - Malibu Wakesetter

Why we camp with a TC

#56 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

Bio-diesel is not the answer. I read an article a few months back that less than 10% of the over the road rigs could be fueled on the amount of bio-diesel that could be produced. That leaves 90% of the big rigs sitting and all of the P/U trucks resting in the driveway. I guess that I am a little skeptical of all of the hype and to me it boils down to one of those "feel good" emotions. I carefully did an analysis of my truck speed, load and fuel economy. After several tanks of fuel, if I kept the truck, with the camper on, at a speed of 55-60 MPH, my overall fuel economy was 15 to 20% better than when I was going down the road at 65-70 MPG. I am in no way a fan of the past National 55 MPH speed limit, but it does make a difference.

<_<
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#57 OFFLINE   Ric

Ric

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ab.
  • Interests:Fishing and going some place new.
  • Camper Brand:2006 Snowbird 8'10 DSL
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F-350 DRW 4x4 XLT 7.3 L Powerstroke
  • Name (Public):Ric & Joanna Acheson

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:09 PM

Recent reports indicate that Bio-Diesel does nothing to help the enviroment. N02 levels are just as high.
I bought a diesel because I do get better fuel efficiency, more power and I think it sound cool.
Summit Lake Alaska Hwy.

#58 OFFLINE   Rob the Rep

Rob the Rep

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 350 posts
  • Camper Brand:Holiday
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Rob

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

97 Dually Dodge, 215k mi, 400hp, 20MPG, "bombed" - $14K

91 Harley - Fat Boy, Evo motor, custom exhaust, lots'o chrome - $10

Getting a mouthfull of diesel and tire smoke as your wife beats you with your own truck - Priceless (for her <_< )

Seriously, if I won the lottery twice, I still wouldn't sell that truck (I'd buy another one). For a truck with so many miles, she's never let me down, will pull a house, & gets great MPG (except it's $3.75/gal here). Last summer, I added an engine brake. Now, I hardly touch the brakes when heading down a pass. I can't say enough about this truck (my wife is jealous). Gas makes sense if you're going to turn your truck every year or two, but if you're going to drive the wheels off, diesel is the way to go. Beyond that, Cummins is the best of the best (and I'm a GM guy).
IMHO

#59 OFFLINE   Rob the Rep

Rob the Rep

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 350 posts
  • Camper Brand:Holiday
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500
  • Name (Public):Rob

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

Reading previous posts - we may have to move this thread to the Boxing Ring <_<

#60 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Local time: 05:49 AM
  • Interests:Traveling/ camping boating in the highest mountains
  • Camper Brand:NL 10-2000
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 CTD
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

<_< I told you not to get just any diesel..... I said get THEE diesel!
To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In