67 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 12:13 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:01 PM

Cuz I love the sound of a diesel. :o

Besides that, we bought the CTD for the same reasons that many others have already listed...longer engine life, diesel was cheaper than gas at the time, wanted the extra power, etc. etc. We're not getting the fuel mileage that I thought we would. We've got just over 20k miles on it and are still averaging 12.5 mpg with the camper on. It's not chipped or Banked. I'm not sure the expense is worth it yet.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#22 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 AM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:07 PM

Is this a new product? I have not seen nor heard of it before.
Is 2 micron too small to maintain proper pressure and volume to your pump?

Cummins used to use 10 but is now recommending 7... (I don't think I would want to go that small but, may be able to now with the factory pusher pump.)

Yes, World Blend took the place of Stanadynes Performance formula and is recommended by GM for the Dmax. I've ran my RACOR now for almost 3 years and with a flow rate of 45 GPM there's no flow or any other problem to my pump..............................Steve...

#23 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:11 PM

Cuz I love the sound of a diesel. :o

Besides that, we bought the CTD for the same reasons that many others have already listed...longer engine life, diesel was cheaper than gas at the time, wanted the extra power, etc. etc. We're not getting the fuel mileage that I thought we would. We've got just over 20k miles on it and are still averaging 12.5 mpg with the camper on. It's not chipped or Banked. I'm not sure the expense is worth it yet.

Yes the expense is worth it! Nice to be able to dial in as much as 100 extra horsepower. My fuel mileage actually improved after I took off the muffle and put a better breathing system and the chip. It improved by nearly 1 MPG. I also have the Jake brake on mine and that investment is also well worth the cash, never touch the brake pedal going down a mountain with a load.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#24 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:25 PM

larry i have to agree with you but im a midwest guy the flatlands are in my blood and in my case of a limeted budget i look at dollar point at the current time not in the future.and if i could justify it i would have bought the duramax diesel with the allison tranny in a heart beat.because i do like the mooore power deal
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#25 OFFLINE   blulund

blulund

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 342 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 PM
  • State/Province or Region:North Dakota
  • Interests:Elk and Mule Deer Hunting, Walleye fishing, & Golden Retrievers
  • Camper Brand:2007 37REB Escalade by K-Z
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F350 King Ranch dually crew cab
  • Name (Public):Bob Martin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

This reply is meant for SnowyBird, thanks for the nice comment about my truck, it gets alot of looks everywhere I go and I like the way the colors match the graphics on my Snowriver camper. The truck I am considering is EXACTLY the same as the one I have now, only it is a 2006 and mine is a 2005, the new truck has a few more options that I don't have right now. Here is the kicker, the 06 diesel is less than $1000 more than I paid for my V10 so that makes the initial price difference negligible, but I am afraid I will really get a lowball figure for a trade-in. Didn't really plan on trading trucks this soon but the price of the new one is really making me think. I am going to have to go talk to the dealer tomorrow and get a trade-in price. Ford also has a incentive of $1100 worth of free fuel if you buy before the end of June but I don't know if that is already figured into the price they have displayed on the windshield.

Happy Camping,

Bob Martin
"May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!"

Kota the Golden Retriever, rescued on 9-19-2009
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, DRW, 6.0 Powerstroke, 4X4, Crewcab, Copper with Arizona Beige accents
2007 Escalade by K-Z 37 REB fifth wheel
2001 Sportcraft 25 ft Sportfish

#26 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

okey what is CTD....i have a old 1995 cum dsl...old just like me but not crotchedy like me......jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#27 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

CTD=Cummins Turbo Diesel

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#28 OFFLINE   blulund

blulund

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 342 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 PM
  • State/Province or Region:North Dakota
  • Interests:Elk and Mule Deer Hunting, Walleye fishing, & Golden Retrievers
  • Camper Brand:2007 37REB Escalade by K-Z
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F350 King Ranch dually crew cab
  • Name (Public):Bob Martin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

okey what is CTD....i have a old 1995 cum dsl...old just like me but not crotchedy like me......jim

Jim,

It is short for Cummins Turbo Diesel

Bob
"May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!"

Kota the Golden Retriever, rescued on 9-19-2009
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, DRW, 6.0 Powerstroke, 4X4, Crewcab, Copper with Arizona Beige accents
2007 Escalade by K-Z 37 REB fifth wheel
2001 Sportcraft 25 ft Sportfish

#29 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

blulund,
Are you saying you're trading the V10 in for a diesel??
If so, it'll be interesting to hear your first hand experience on the differences.

We did about 5000 kms round trip to NE and back and decided to keep it slower than usual. Right around 62-65 mph. We usually drive about 70-75 when going away just for a weekend. The gas mileage really improved by slowing down. The overall mileage was 10.7 mpg for the entire trip, which were very happy with. I believe that's about 9.4 or close in US mpg. We thought the gas guage was broken on the way down (major tail winds). Then, coming back the gas mileage took a dive as the head winds were wicked.
Yes, it worked going uphill, but still could do the speed limit. The V10 has lots of power and gets thirsty when worked, but that's expected with a gasser.

Steve, do you wax all of your engine and components?? :) It looks way too clean, but then I know how much you love your Chevy, so I wouldn't doubt it... :o

#30 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts
  • State/Province or Region:.
  • Camper Brand:2008 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Cummins

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

…So my question...is a chip necessary??

In my opinion (and for my needs) I do not think that a ‘chip’ is worth it… not so much because of the performance aspects (I believe the CTD is not realizing its full potential from the factory.) BUT… if you read the various websites related to diesels you will find that dealers are voiding engine warranties on new trucks when there is evidence of this type of performance item. This is happening (regardless of the MM Act.) Even if you are in the right by adding an aftermarket chip, try proving it court with the deep pockets of the truck manufacturers. For me it is just not worth the trouble of jeopardizing my warranty. I have plenty of power in the stock configuration.
2005 Dodge Ram. 3500 diesel, SRW, 4WD, NV-5600, Helwig, 9000XL
2008 NorthStar Arrow

#31 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:30 PM

thanks ireally didn't know ..jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#32 OFFLINE   McMike

McMike

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 AM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping, Four Wheeling, GIS, Linux, Sailing, and EATING!
  • Camper Brand:Lance Legend 480
  • Truck Make & Model:99 Dodge Cummins 2500
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

While at the Nebraska show and rally, I noticed that about 90% of all the trucks were diesels, as my truck is a gasoline burner, I got to thinking why are so many using diesels? Please tell me why you bought a diesel over a gas truck and would you do so again? Please don't turn this thread into a brand war, I already know what I would get if I decide to change. I am just curious if I am missing the boat by driving a gasser.

Thanks,

Bob Martin

Power, longevity, and mileage.

-Mike
96 Lance Legend M480, has cold weather package, aircon, wet bathroom, microwave, coleman powermate 1850
Sits on a 99 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 camper package w/Firestone airbags.

Sticks and stones may break my bones.......
So please PLEASE don't throw sticks and stones!

#33 OFFLINE   Bigf00t

Bigf00t

Uber Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 1956 posts
  • State/Province or Region:B.C
  • Interests:Camping........Is there anything else ???
  • Camper Brand:2010 Northern Lite 10.2RR
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 GMC 3500 SRW
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

Ahhhh, the smell of diesel fumes in the morning............Better than a cup of coffee to wake me up.

Oh, yeah.....The extra power is a good thing too. :o
<strong class='bbc'>2010 Northern Lite Ten-2000 10.2RR,PD4645 converter upgrade,2x80W Sharp solar panels,stainless FastGuns<br />
2004 GMC 3500 SRW Ext. Cab 4X4 Duramax/Allison,Torklift Tie Downs,Torklift Stable Loads, Racor Pre Filter, Rancho 9000`s, Firestone Air Bags w/ in cab controller<br />
<br />
Pitt Meadows,B.C.</strong><br />
<br />

#34 OFFLINE   Hey there

Hey there

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance Lite 150, 8'6", 93:Fleetwood Caribou, 01, 11J
  • Truck Make & Model:2001 Chev Silv 3500 CC dually 6.0 gasser

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hi,
I have to chime in here. LOL
I am a big believer in longevity. My record so far is 432,000 miles on a 77 Chevy Caprice Estate Wagon. It has been my experience that vehicles will last as long as one wants to repair them.
Also, second observation, If going for longevity; less is more. By that I mean, manual windows have no motors to break, manual mirrors have no cables to stretch, etc.
A third observation is that after 200,000 miles or so, things wear out that give symptoms that few have experience with. That is, most mechanics and manuals relate to vehicles that are relatively new or have less that 150,000 miles on them, more or less. So, for the average car or pick up, one is basically on their own, as far as expertise is concerned, after 200,000 miles or so. This does not bother me, as I usually do a better job of diagnosing than the dealer people anyway.
Now, I gave away my Chevy Caprice as I got tired of fixing it. It was ready for the third front end, fifth or sixth set of shocks, ? set of tires, fourth transmission rebuild, etc. Power seat no longer worked, steering column was coming apart, gauges no longer worked, etc. Plus it got 12 mpg.
I guess that my point is, I think that most of the vehicles, Gas or Diesel, are good for 200 to 300,000 miles of good service, then they will be less fun to own for the normal user and I think that the normal TC owner will likely put less than 200,000 miles on their diesel.
Now, if I were a commercial hauler, I would absolutely get a diesel, because it will do a million miles of highway hauling/towing. If I still lived in Colorado and went into the mountains a lot; then a diesel would be a must for the turbochargers at altitude or I would put a blower on a gasser. Other than that, I don't think it makes much difference other than personal preference. I got a gasser because it is usually quieter and has easier, less critical, maintenance. However, there are times that I would appreciate the power of a diesel. Yet every time I change the oil, I appreciate the gasser. I guess you pays your money and takes your choice. If I had it to do all over again, I don't know which way I would go.

#35 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 AM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:30 AM

Steve, do you wax all of your engine and components?? :) It looks way too clean, but then I know how much you love your Chevy, so I wouldn't doubt it... :)

LOL!!!,,,,,Joanne if you're refering to the picture I posted above, it was taken just after the filter installation. I do, however, clean my engine compartment about twice a year with a mild soap and soft brush (no steam cleaning or pressure washing) and then blow dry most components with compressed air. No wax need, Jo, as it cleans up purdy good :lol: :lol: .......................................Steve...

#36 OFFLINE   jimh

jimh

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

I bought a diesel because it can pull the extra weight much easier. It barely even downshifted to pull the mountains from Missoula, MT and Seatttle, WA and back. I'm quite sure I couldn't have done the same with any gas engine truck. My truck is a '06 F350 Supercab, and I had about 3600 lb camper on board. Constant downshifting runs the transmission temp up which I believe can lead to failure sooner. That's more important than mileage to me.

This truck doesn't have many miles on it, and I hear that mileage will get better. I averaged 12.6 on the way over and about 11 on the way back into a very strong wind traveling between 65 and 68 for the most part. Like I said though, durability is more important to me than mileage. That was without additives since I forgot to put it in, and then didn't find what I wanted on the weekend trip. I expect to get a little better with Diesel Kleen. I know it helped my unloaded mileage. This is a completely stock truck except for the Zoodad modification.

Obviously, diesel's cost more iniitially, but from what I've read you get most of that back on trade in. It gives me piece of mind to be able to pull our mountains with minimal effort, and I expect that to help the longterm durability.
Sorry, this info moved to "Private conversations with Admins, Moderators & Board of Directors".

#37 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:00 AM

Would have went with one, but wanted the old 12valve pre redesigned body of the older Dodge trucks and finding a 1990-1993 Cummins truck that everything around the engine wasn't beat to shit was a near impossibility. I still marvel at how one succeeds at breaking the selector needle on column, but three trucks I looked at had this problem, all were still running strong engine-wise.

In the end, wound up with another decomissioned Fleet truck from good ole Oregon with the big Pre Magnum/Hemi 5.9L 360 V8. Holley TBI fed beast, coupled with 4.10 gears. Her empty milage is around 12.75 averaged city/freeway for my daily driving and around 13 even for freeway alone.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#38 OFFLINE   pslocum

pslocum

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NH
  • Interests:Travel
    Fishing , Salt and Fresh water
    Hunting. upland game
    Camping anywhere
  • Camper Brand:2005 Adventurer 90 RDS
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax Diesel
  • Name (Public):Phil

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:40 AM

I got 10.5 mpg this weekend on a trip to Arcadia NP. I never have the fuel problems with my 6.0L gasser in the winter that the diesels do up here, And the price of diesel is almost .30 per gallon more here. I guess if I was able to travel more a diesel might make more sense but for now I'm happy with the GM 6.0L gas engine.

Diesel engine cost more to purchase
Diesel fuel now cost more
Diesel engine is more expensive to repair

Diesel better fuel economy
Diesel more torque
Diesel better fuel mileage

I have a friend with a 6.0L gasser with around 320,000 mi on it untouched, so I don't think that longevity is not the issue it used to be. The diesel may last longer but I never keep a truck for 20 years or even 10 anymore.

They are all good, ???

Phil
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2005 Adventurer 90RDS
2001 Lund 1675 50 hp honda[/b]

#39 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:45 AM

pslocum, Is that the Vortec 6.0L? My folks 2003 Chevy Express has that one in it and it never got better than 9.5mpg pulling their toyhauler around. its a 1ton SRW, pulling about a 8000lb trailer.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#40 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

Along the same line of blulunds question. BTW, blulund has one of the nicest trucks around.. :) Did your diesel have enough power/performance without "chipping it".
We met a guy a couple of weeks back that put in one of those "juice chips" $2000 CDN...ouch.
I would be a little upset if I bought a new diesel and then was not happy with the power and had to spend more money to pep it up.
So my question...is a chip necessary??

No.
If a chip is necessary, then the wrong truck was purchased.
A chip will allow two things:
1) Getting away with dangerous stunt driving- like passing when one shouldn't.
2) Racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In