• 342 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 PM
  • State/Province or Region:North Dakota
  • Interests:Elk and Mule Deer Hunting, Walleye fishing, & Golden Retrievers
  • Camper Brand:2007 37REB Escalade by K-Z
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F350 King Ranch dually crew cab
  • Name (Public):Bob Martin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

While at the Nebraska show and rally, I noticed that about 90% of all the trucks were diesels, as my truck is a gasoline burner, I got to thinking why are so many using diesels? Please tell me why you bought a diesel over a gas truck and would you do so again? Please don't turn this thread into a brand war, I already know what I would get if I decide to change. I am just curious if I am missing the boat by driving a gasser.

Thanks,

Bob Martin
"May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!"

Kota the Golden Retriever, rescued on 9-19-2009
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, DRW, 6.0 Powerstroke, 4X4, Crewcab, Copper with Arizona Beige accents
2007 Escalade by K-Z 37 REB fifth wheel
2001 Sportcraft 25 ft Sportfish

#2 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:NUWA Hitch Hiker 29.5FKTS
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500HD D/A
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:38 AM

Hey Bob you not only missed the boat but you didn't even get to the dock. Just kidding ole buddy. Gas-diesel - what ever floats your boat. (yes pun intended) :P

Northern Colorado

#3 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

hi bob itwas good to met you at the show....i bought one for the mpg and pulling power....it handles what i want to do....with my snowriver on the trip to the show and back i got 13.8 mpg...i also towed my cargo trl and this time it was loaded......it is 4x4 auto ext cab.its the second 1995 that i have had...the first was not 4x4 and single cab....of course the the sr with cmd set we love ....jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#4 OFFLINE   FamilyTime

FamilyTime

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM
  • Interests:Gettin lost....
  • Camper Brand:05 Shadow Cruiser
  • Truck Make & Model:05 Dodge 3500 QuadC CTD SRW
  • Name (Public):Dennis

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:07 AM

I went with one for pulling power and longevity.....I'm hoping this truck lasts us a long long time....at 41 y/o this is my first new vehicle (wife has had a couple) so I figured I'd do it right (in my mind), it's pretty loaded, and was a pretty penny.....the CTD was a hefty option but it's got the power of a sasquatch :P ......

#5 OFFLINE   otobesane1

otobesane1

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 01:59 AM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:16 AM

I originally bought the truck for the muscle, but the fact that diesel was 10 cents cheaper than gas was also part of the equation. Of course, now that diesel is the same or more expensive than regular gas, I guess I'll have to settle for the just the muscle. Had a 2002 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab with the 8.1L gas engine. There is no comparison with respect to the raw pulling power from a dead stop or for climbing hills. The diesel wins hands down. And, for the record, Maria really likes the sound of the Duramax .
2004 Silverado 2500HD, Crew, SB, Duramax/Allison, Airbags, Rhinoliner, Prodigy Brake Controller
1995 Angler
1991 36' Alumalite 5th Wheel

#6 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts
  • State/Province or Region:.
  • Camper Brand:2008 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Cummins

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

I chose the Cummins diesel for many reasons.... The power for the mileage (both MPG & longevity) is not comparable to the gassers. One would have to get a V-10 to come reletilevy close to any torque specs of the oil burner. But think of what your MPG would be carrying a load with the V-10!!! Diesels generally last longer than the gas counterpart. On the Turbo Diesel Registerof which I belong, there are stories of trucks that have lasted for up to 1 million miles!!

Back when I bought my first oil engine, the fuel was some 15-25 cents per gallon cheaper than gas. With recent hurricanes and China's demand for energy, the prices are now 15-25 cents MORE! It requires less refining to obtain diesel over gas, but demand is driving the prices up. Take into account that the diesel engine in light duty pick up trucks cost some $5,000 over gas, then add into the price per gallon difference, one may want to do the math to see if the gas counterpart is a better value. If one were to sell the truck at less than 100,000 miles on the odometer then the gas may prove to be the better value. Over that mileage, then the diesel might be the better choice. One would have to do the math.

Not wanting to get into brand wars either….to each his own....but,
my opinion on the Cummins over the other brands is the basic design. The inline I-6 has the same displacement as the V counterparts while having over 25% less moving parts. Back in tech school, instructors showed how the in line designs, even for gas, are better suited for longevity and torque when compared to a V configuration. Look to the 225 slant 6 for proof of this. Back in the day, all engines were inlines. The advent of the V was in part to reduce the overall length of an engine and the V design allowed for that by putting the connecting rods closer and offsetting the pistons. I prefer the KISS principle and for me the in- line suits me just fine.

There does seem to be a war among the oil engine manufacters in terms of numbers… believing that the public thinks that “bigger is better.” I think(?) that the Duramax now has a higher torque rating over the Cummins. Well bigger may not always be better. There are gear heads on the TDR that are turning up these engines to get some AMAZING numbers at the dyno. But at what price? In simpler terms that cost is MPG and (supposed) longevity. My ’01 Cummins with a 5 speed was getting around 22 MPG unloaded. My ’05 is averaging about 17.5 with a 6 speed. The former was lower in the rated numbers and that suited me fine. In my use, I do not need the extra power that add- on accessories enable the stock motor to produce. On a newer vehicle, the add ons can void a warranty (regardless of what the MM Act says.)

One thing to consider about a newer diesel is the imposing of the new ultra low sulfur diesel blends that will be coming out with in the next year. Engine mfgrs. are having to conform to stricter EPA standards. Heck, even the Cummins is now having to incorporate an EGR on the ’07 Dodge models! (read as higher EGT’s.) I use and recommend a good diesel fuel additive to combat the lower lubricating and cooling properties of the newer fuel blends to offset this- regardless of truck make!

Welcome to the dark side.
2005 Dodge Ram. 3500 diesel, SRW, 4WD, NV-5600, Helwig, 9000XL
2008 NorthStar Arrow

#7 OFFLINE   blulund

blulund

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 342 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 PM
  • State/Province or Region:North Dakota
  • Interests:Elk and Mule Deer Hunting, Walleye fishing, & Golden Retrievers
  • Camper Brand:2007 37REB Escalade by K-Z
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F350 King Ranch dually crew cab
  • Name (Public):Bob Martin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

"One would have to get a V-10 to come reletilevy close to any torque specs of the oil burner. But think of what your MPG would be carrying a load with the V-10!!!"

I currently own a V-10 and averaged 8.2 mpg on the trip from Fargo to Ogalalla and back, roughly 1400 miles round trip. Thanks for the speedy answers and keep them coming. Just wondering why such a strong majority of TC owners chose diesel.

Thanks,

Bob Martin
"May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!"

Kota the Golden Retriever, rescued on 9-19-2009
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, DRW, 6.0 Powerstroke, 4X4, Crewcab, Copper with Arizona Beige accents
2007 Escalade by K-Z 37 REB fifth wheel
2001 Sportcraft 25 ft Sportfish

#8 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

bob that is what we used to get with the 2002 bounder mh twoing a car....and that was if we were lucky...jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#9 OFFLINE   FamilyTime

FamilyTime

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM
  • Interests:Gettin lost....
  • Camper Brand:05 Shadow Cruiser
  • Truck Make & Model:05 Dodge 3500 QuadC CTD SRW
  • Name (Public):Dennis

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:36 AM

d350.....

What additive do you use?.....how often?

#10 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 AM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

My reasons as follows:

1 - pulling power taking hills like the Salmo/Creston BC humpa at 50-60 MPH as opposed to 30-40 MPH without struggling or screaming the RPM to get power required and overall efficiency when using add-ons ie: power programmers, straihgt pipe cold air intake (K&N) straight pipe exhaust (MAGNAFLOW 4"). You actually see and feel in the seat of your pants the benefits of these items, unlike a gasser!!;

2 - much better MPG in fact no comparison ie: with TC @ 3500# mountain driving in BC, 6.6 liter DMAX turbo diesel = 17 MPIG, as opposed to a, Vortec 5.7 liter gasser = 10 MPIG;

3 - pleasure to drive ie: when the truck is not struggling it makes for a far more comfortable ride;

4 - the sound and smell ie: I love the sound and smell of my Dmax diesel first thing in the mornin' when havin' my coffee and warmin' my beast up for another day of runnin' the other brands into the ground,,,,,LOL!!! just kiddin', couoldn't resist,,,,, :D :P

It's your choice, but, if I could go back in time I'd have left the gasser on the car lot and bought diesel straight away. Good luck in your search....................Steve...

#11 OFFLINE   mar v

mar v

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-250 Super Duty Powerstroke V-8 Diesel Crew Cab
  • Name (Public):Marlene

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

Being that I didn't have a clue on what to buy, I asked a lot of questions and did a lot of research before I did. I was told that a diesal engine would last longer and run stronger. Had more "tork" whatever that it? And that for what I wanted it for that diesal was the way to go. I have a lot of friends that are car guys and I trusted what they said. So far they haven't done me wrong. I love my truck. Except when it comes to checking fluids and the engine. I am too short without a stepstool. Guess the truck manufacturers haven't figured out that women drive these monsters too and we are not all amazon women. I think I saw in a catalog a step that hooks onto the tire. I should get one. Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Attached Images

• Truckcamper_pictures_002.jpg

When life gives you lemons, go camping anyway!!

#12 OFFLINE   Clattertruck

Clattertruck

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, and travel, Four wheeling, Photography
  • Camper Brand:2008 Snow River 10.8
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 F450 CC, DRW,PSD
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:56 AM

Power in the main reason I love diesels, and economy is the secondary reason.

I started with a 1983 GM 6.2 in a Suburban for economy reasons. The mileage was good but the engine was dog for power. In 1991 I bought a Dodge Cummins 12 V 250. Wow, the power was great with 20 MPG economy. I “bombed” it for even more power. I decided that I wanted a Crew Cab so I got a 1995 F350 PSD SRW CC 4X4. I chipped it, big exhaust, intercooler, gauges etc. I put a lot of miles on it in our Colorado mountains where a turbo diesel doesn’t care what the altitude is. Once you go to diesel power you will never go back to gassers.
My current truck is a 2002 7.3. that has been programmed for a 60 HP increase with a Superchips Micro Tuner. With my 10.5 camper on board, it will pull my Jeep up the passes faster that the Jeep will go by itself. With the Jeep in tow, the combined weight is some 16,000 pounds. The mileage with the Jeep in tow is about 11 to 11.5 at 65 MPH. With just the camper it gets 12.6 as an average at that 65 to 68 MPH.

Society of Automotive Engineers President Dr. Rodica A. Baranescu explains that currently, available diesel engine technology achieves 35 to 45 percent thermal efficiency, compared to the efficiency of gasoline powered engines at around 15 percent. "The diesel cycle (engine) has the highest thermal efficiency of all the internal combustion engines." She further says, "In a time where crude oil costs are at or near an all-time high, it is important to get the most out of every barrel." Baranescu says "diesel engines produced today are virtually smokeless, and are 90 to 95 percent cleaner than their counterparts of the 1970s." She notes that, contrary to popular opinion, the diesel engine is also the lowest emitter of carbon dioxide.

As Sir William says, the sound and smell let you know you have a real truck.
2008 SD F450 PSD CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat, Auto trans, 4.30 gears, 2008 Snowriver 108. Tow a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited or a Jeep Liberty.

#13 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:57 AM

d350.....

What additive do you use?.....how often?

I use this brand--> Stanadyne. I use the all season formula (blue bottle)... goood for year round use. I also use a can of Sea Foam every 4-5 tanks to keep it de- carbonized.

Cut & paste this link--> http://www.stanadyne...ppt/ppt_dfa.asp
2008 NorthStar Arrow

#14 OFFLINE   mar v

mar v

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-250 Super Duty Powerstroke V-8 Diesel Crew Cab
  • Name (Public):Marlene

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

I use this brand--> Stanadyne. I use the all season formula (blue bottle)... goood for year round use. I also use a can of Sea Foam every 4-5 tanks to keep it de- carbonized.

Cut & paste this link--> http://www.stanadyne...ppt/ppt_dfa.asp

What is the purpose of the additive? do I need to put in my truck?
When life gives you lemons, go camping anyway!!

#15 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:31 PM

What is the purpose of the additive? do I need to put in my truck?

Over time, the EPA has dictated that diesel engines "run cleaner." In that time, the formulations of the diesel and its additive (from the refinery) have been altered. Back inthe day when injection pumps were lubricated from the engine oil (as in the case of a 1994- mid 1998 Cummins/ Dodge p7100) it was not too much of a concern. Post 1998 VP 44's and current CP3 (I believe that the Duramax uses the Bosch CP3 as weel) are cooled and lubricated internally via the actual diesel fuel. The lubricating properties of the sulfur is being greatly reduced- hence it's lubricity. Ultra low sulfur fuel is being introduced in 2007.

I have been using the additive since '01 because the VP44's on the Dodge's had lift pump issues because of the location on the truck. The additive was a little insurance if the lift pump failed. I have continued to use the additves even on my new truck with the pusher pump now in the tank as a combative effort to the declining quality of fuel.

Additives are a good idea to offset gelling in colder climates. Rather than switching from a winter to summer formulation of additives, I just use the same type year round.

As far as adding SEA FOAM, one may not need to use it if operating a diesel truck at operating temperature and under load for long distance miles driven. I tend to drive shorter distances and use it as a preventitive effort against carbon build- up.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

As far as using it in your truck.... You may want to check out some Ford sites silimar in format to this site. One site in particular is THE DIESEL STOP I do not know the general concensus specifically towards Powerstroke engines. The theory as to Cummins/ Dodge on TDR is to use additives.
2008 NorthStar Arrow

#16 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 AM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 25 June 2006 - 01:44 PM

Further to my earlier post I use Stanadynes "World Blend" with lubricity to keep that expensive pump and those injectors lubed and happy. Even though my Dmax is fairly quiet this stuff actually makes it run quieter. As far as beyyer performance or economy goes the jury is still out. I also use a pre-OEM fuel filter by RACOR. It is a 445R with a R90S (2 micron) element also to protect from some of the sludge that is sold for diesel fuel these days. The combo of these 2 things should protect my Dmax. Only time will tell, I guess.........................Steve...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

...I use Stanadynes "World Blend" ...

Is this a new product? I have not seen nor heard of it before.

... I also use a pre-OEM fuel filter by RACOR. It is a 445R with a R90S (2 micron) element ....

Is 2 micron too small to maintain proper pressure and volume to your pump?

Cummins used to use 10 but is now recommending 7... (I don't think I would want to go that small but, may be able to now with the factory pusher pump.)
2008 NorthStar Arrow

#18 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:39 PM

Along the same line of blulunds question. BTW, blulund has one of the nicest trucks around.. :o Did your diesel have enough power/performance without "chipping it".
We met a guy a couple of weeks back that put in one of those "juice chips" $2000 CDN...ouch.
I would be a little upset if I bought a new diesel and then was not happy with the power and had to spend more money to pep it up.
So my question...is a chip necessary??

#19 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:51 PM

i didnt stayed with a gasser again just could no justify the difference in price .and for only a couple miles per gallon it is not worth it to me i guess it is a personal choice...and when i do get my tc it wont be a real big unit we only need it to sleep in so it will be a basic light weight unit...

Dan
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#20 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:01 PM

My last truck was a 2000 Dodge 2500 V-10, 8 MPG, loaded, unloaded, uphill or downhill, it just didn't make any difference. Also, no power when up in the mountains. Current 04 Dodge Cummins, 15 MPG loaded, as much as 21 MPG unloaded. Much more power, even prior to the chip and exhaust and breather mods. I love the power and I love the fact that this engine is good for a couple hundred thousand miles. If you are going to work a truck, diesel is th only way to go. I've had my camper in the mountains at over 10,000 feet with the camper on, Cummins is still pulling strong.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In