Poster

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 06:38 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:NL 9.6 QC SE
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QC 4X4 SRW

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

I'm new to TCs, and am planning to purchase my first one in a few weeks. I've settled on the make and model, but am unsure of the usual RV negotiation strategy.

Is it similar to buying a truck or car? In other words, they quote MSRP as the price, but is the real bottom line about 10 to 12% less (similar to negotiating around the invoice price of a vehicle)? Or are you expected to pay the quoted MSRP?

I know the price structure and buying process with trucks and am comfortable negotiating with auto dealers, but RV dealers are new territory for me, so I'm not sure what the standard negotiating protocol is there.

Oh yeah, this is for a new unit, not used.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

#2 OFFLINE   joemcg

joemcg

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:camping & astronomy & not working!!

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

IMHO everything's negotiable! I think with a TC part of the issue is geographical area. Your post doesn't list your part of the country, but in some there are a heck of a lot more TCs and dealers than in others. I think this makes a difference - the more competition for your business, the better the price you will probably receive. Here in the San Diego area TC dealers are practically non-existant. With over 2 million people in the county there are only 2 that I know of. That's one reason we have a Lance. The other dealer that sells a competing brand we wouldn't go near because of previous experience with them. That kind of narrowed it down for us, if we wanted to shop price at another Lance dealership it would have been a 90 mile ride instead of about 6 miles.

I think it's fair to say that 10-12% of MSRP should be expected. Don't forget you're gonna want some other things like the camper mounts and perhaps airbags and new shocks for the truck. Push them on these also. They DO have to make money if you want them to stay in business, but they don't need to make it all on you!

Good luck with your shopping.
'05 Lance 981 Loaded
'91 F350 DRW CC 2WD 7.5L Gasser
'87 Sammy "tintop" Toad with factory air
Beautiful (and crowded) San Diego!
Website

#3 OFFLINE   Monkey44

Monkey44

FOUNDER

• Founder
  • 723 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:45 PM

List price for my 2002 new Fleetwood Angler was $12,500 -- I wrote the check for $8995 ... after a little haggling. I bought it new in 2003, and the dealer was anxious to sell it, because he had six left at the time. The dealership is in the Ft Myers area of Florida ...

They also installed Happi-jac tie-downs and electrical plug-in connector, which I bought separately --

Back-country Camper
2002 Fleetwood Angler
2003 GMC 2500 Sierra 4x4

#4 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Work on them with the price and then when things start getting tough start in on the extras you want ( tie downs, shocks, airbags) and the list goes on. Good luck and I can tell you are excited.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#5 OFFLINE   007nomad

007nomad

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 100 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 PM
  • Camper Brand:06 Northern Lite 8.11
  • Truck Make & Model:05 Ram 3500 CTD QC 4x4 SB.
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:48 PM

It's the same as buying a auto. The big difference is that many, but not all, manufactures do not state a MSRP, or a "window sticker". The MSRP price you see may be produced by the dealer, in which case it may be ~20% high to start with.
I would expect to pay 75-85% of real MSRP, with the highest quality brands getting the least discount. A leftover might get you a better deal, and at peak season you might not be able to get as much discount.

on order 2014 Ram 3500 6.4L Hemi crewcab short box SRW 4.10 diff

05 Ram 3500 CTD QC 4x4 SB. Rancho 9000. Timbrens, Towing Alternative aka Hitchco front / Happijac rear tiedown
06 Northern Lite 8.11.

#6 OFFLINE   Prospector

Prospector

Poster

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:NL 9.6 QC SE
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QC 4X4 SRW

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone, for your advice. It looks like it's reasonable to offer about 15% lower than the price the dealer first offers. I guess you can always go up, but not down further once they agree.

I'm located near Vancouver, BC. There are quite a few RV dealers in the area, but they don't all carry the same brands, particularly the higher-end ones. So it's not very convenient to get comparison quotes on the same model without traveling a long distance.

007nomad:
It sounds like we may end up with similar setups. I've got an '06 3500 CTD, long box, 6 speed, and the camper I have my eyes on is a Northern Lite 9'6'' Queen Classic SE. I was a little concerned that it might be a bit much for single rear wheels, but it appears that most people buying that model don't have duals, and it seems to work fine. The truck will handle the weight ok, but I plan to install airbags, at least for improved stability. Maybe the Dodge won't need them, but they apparently make a big difference according to a friend with a similar camper on a SRW F350.

Thanks,
Tom

#7 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 07:38 PM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:05 PM

Consider also the dealer and the camper. Some campers are a little harder to find than others. You can expect to pay a higher price for a camper that is limited in it's distribution than a camper that is more mass produced. Some of the larger truck camper manufacturers make more camper in a week or two than other companies do all year. As a result of the smaller numbers, availability and desirability, they get a higher price and your chances of getting a higher percentage off is less. Also, some dealers stock and sell several brands of campers and you might have a more luck getting a larger percentage off a unit that you like. Good luck on your negotiations.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#8 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • Local time: 07:38 PM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

try midtown rv in pentiction bc chris is a good saleman and well work with you....also hills auto and rv in akama wash both have 800 nr.....

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#9 OFFLINE   007nomad

007nomad

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 100 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 PM
  • Camper Brand:06 Northern Lite 8.11
  • Truck Make & Model:05 Ram 3500 CTD QC 4x4 SB.
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

007nomad:
It sounds like we may end up with similar setups. I've got an '06 3500 CTD, long box, 6 speed, and the camper I have my eyes on is a Northern Lite 9'6'' Queen Classic SE. I was a little concerned that it might be a bit much for single rear wheels, but it appears that most people buying that model don't have duals, and it seems to work fine. The truck will handle the weight ok, but I plan to install airbags, at least for improved stability. Maybe the Dodge won't need them, but they apparently make a big difference according to a friend with a similar camper on a SRW F350.

The NL is a good camper, but I'm not sure it is the best one for me. I think I should have looked at Okanagan a little more...
This setup handles fine with Ranchos on 9, though I am concerned about body roll "sway" in an emergency situation. The rear end sagged and the headlights pointed high, so I put Timbren DR3500CA on. That has it close to level, still a little low in back. On the 3rd gen Dodge, both air bag brands and Timbrens mount at the axle bump stops, inboard of the springs. When you shift weight off the leaf springs to an inboard point, you will get more "sway". I haven't had air bags but several people with air bags on the Dodge have felt the body roll to be extreme, and added anti sway bars, and/or extended rub blocks on the overloads, to control that.
I am within 100 lbs of my OEM rear tire rating. So I am looking for tire upgrades, there are some but not many options using the OEM 17" wheels.
Good luck

on order 2014 Ram 3500 6.4L Hemi crewcab short box SRW 4.10 diff

05 Ram 3500 CTD QC 4x4 SB. Rancho 9000. Timbrens, Towing Alternative aka Hitchco front / Happijac rear tiedown
06 Northern Lite 8.11.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In