• Admin
  • 12477 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:37 PM

Bob Mehrer post a couple of pictures of the prototype of the new combined Propane & battery slide for the Snowriver. He will be field testing this on his own camper for a year before putting it into production. I am guessing it also has to go before the Canadian & US safety regulators for approval.

Image IPB

Image IPB

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#2 OFFLINE   Bigf00t

Bigf00t

Uber Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 1956 posts
  • State/Province or Region:B.C
  • Interests:Camping........Is there anything else ???
  • Camper Brand:2010 Northern Lite 10.2RR
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 GMC 3500 SRW
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:52 PM

Looks like a good idea but i wonder if it would be a fire hazzard with the batteries so close to the propane ?
Whats everyones thoughts ?
<strong class='bbc'>2010 Northern Lite Ten-2000 10.2RR,PD4645 converter upgrade,2x80W Sharp solar panels,stainless FastGuns<br />
2004 GMC 3500 SRW Ext. Cab 4X4 Duramax/Allison,Torklift Tie Downs,Torklift Stable Loads, Racor Pre Filter, Rancho 9000`s, Firestone Air Bags w/ in cab controller<br />
<br />
Pitt Meadows,B.C.</strong><br />
<br />

#3 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12477 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:46 PM

That was my thought. Remember Propane is heavier than air, notice the vent holes in the bottom of the slide. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this. I think a solid divider between the 2 would be better. It look slike that coudl be disigned to go between the 2 & the shelf still slide out. That should remove all risk as propane would not be able to go down, around the divider & back up to the battery post, it would go out through the holes first. It has to get past CSA anyway. Bob has a lot of experience in the RV business, so I'm assuming he knows what he is doing.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#4 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:NUWA Hitch Hiker 29.5FKTS
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500HD D/A
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:00 PM

Maybe a propane leak detector would be advised in that compartment. I don't think you are going to get a spark unless you are fooling with the connections. With the door open and the tray extended it would seem there would have to be a heck of a lot of propane escaping for a problem to arise.

Northern Colorado

#5 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4237 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:53 PM

i think they should put som type of divider between the battery and tanks with the vent holes on lp side..
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#6 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 PM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:48 PM

we have built a divider system to go between the propane tanks and the batteries. it stays put while the drawer is pulled out to maintain good access to the systems. the entire wing under the tray is screened as well as the exterior door will be screened top and bottom as per a generator door. If the assembly doesn't pass as is, I will the add the divider. Thanks for your comments, they can only lead to a better camper.
Bob Mehrer
Snowriver1

#7 OFFLINE   Bigf00t

Bigf00t

Uber Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 1956 posts
  • State/Province or Region:B.C
  • Interests:Camping........Is there anything else ???
  • Camper Brand:2010 Northern Lite 10.2RR
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 GMC 3500 SRW
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:10 PM

we have built a divider system to go between the propane tanks and the batteries. it stays put while the drawer is pulled out to maintain good access to the systems. the entire wing under the tray is screened as well as the exterior door will be screened top and bottom as per a generator door. If the assembly doesn't pass as is, I will the add the divider. Thanks for your comments, they can only lead to a better camper.

This is why it`s great having manufacturer input on these forums, One on one communication between the factory and public. As Bob says..."It can only lead to a better camper" Thanks Bob, For taking the time in your busy day to respond !
<strong class='bbc'>2010 Northern Lite Ten-2000 10.2RR,PD4645 converter upgrade,2x80W Sharp solar panels,stainless FastGuns<br />
2004 GMC 3500 SRW Ext. Cab 4X4 Duramax/Allison,Torklift Tie Downs,Torklift Stable Loads, Racor Pre Filter, Rancho 9000`s, Firestone Air Bags w/ in cab controller<br />
<br />
Pitt Meadows,B.C.</strong><br />
<br />

#8 OFFLINE   gordfromborder

gordfromborder

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:22 AM

Propane is obviously a volitile product, but so is the hydrogen given off when wet cell batteries are in use( I think this is the case, someone please correct if I'm off base), so I would think both batteries and tanks together wouldn't create a problem as adequate ventilation is required for both.

Very neat install / utilization of space that is easy to access ( big plus).

Gord

#9 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:17 PM

That is one slick looking gizmo to get your propane tanks and batteries out for service. Once again, Snowriver Bob has come up with a winner. I want one! Bob, feel free to retrofit my Snowriver with one of these, I'll be more than happy to field test it for you! Also, perhaps a kit could be developed for those of use with the "older" Snows to add a slid for the separate propane and battery boxes, one that comes out far enough to service the rear battery and rear tank. I know I would buy a pair.

This is the kind of company care and search for excellence that is hard to convey to folks that ask you why they should buy a Snowriver over brand "X". Some see it and get it, while others walk right into the wall. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it is refreshing to be able to say things like this on this forum and not have to be concerned if you are going to offend those others who did not investigate and research prior to purchase.

Thanks go out to Paul for setting this forum up, to ChopperBill for being the moderator, and to Snowriver Bob for building something that we are as proud to own as he is in building them. Thanks to all---

Larry
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#10 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:39 PM

I want one of the battery slide and propane slide trays now. I will test it for you Bob just put it in for me. :D
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#11 OFFLINE   Budster

Budster

Founding Member - Former Director

• Founder
  • 1696 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Lazy Daze 30IB
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:17 PM

Great Idea!

I would also have the actual battery connections using 'arc welding' cables. They are very flexible and would withstand the 'in and out' movements. There should be a 'terminal block' inside the compartment that the rest of the camper hooks up to. This leaves but two connections to the batteries, one positive and one negative.

Just a thought.

ymmv,

ymmv,
Jerry

00 30IB Lazy Daze
Mira Loma, CA
Visit My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In