Towing and weigh stations

10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Monkey44

Monkey44

FOUNDER

• Founder
  • 723 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:44 AM

How many of you guys stop at the weigh stations when you're hauling your TC and a cargo trailer at the same time. I've seen PU trucks with trailers (not often, but enough) in line with the big rigs on the weigh station portals ... I never pull in, but wonder why some do ?? Thinking it's maybe a commercial thing, where PU's hauling commercial freight must stop ... but personal vehicles have no requirements -- anyone have an idea??

Back-country Camper
2002 Fleetwood Angler
2003 GMC 2500 Sierra 4x4

#2 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Local time: 02:41 AM
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 25 March 2006 - 10:58 AM

My guess would be they they have a commercial license on there trucks this is just a guess and know nothing for a fact on this.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#3 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 757 posts
  • Local time: 05:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

i have a commerical plate on my truck, however, if i am pulling a non-commerical trailer (for my personal use) i would not stop. i think they have better things to do than to mess with me.

another interesting thing - my daughter told me of a friend who was passing thru NC towing her own personal horse trailer and was given a ticket because she did not have a CDL license. i cannot believe that one. every farmer in the state could be ticketed if this is true. but our state gestapo is among the best.

i should add that when i was transporting RV's commerically we were supposed to stop at weight stations, but no one that i knew did. we took our name plates off the door and unless you could see the 'transporter' tags on the trailer you could not tell if we were private or commerical.
We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#4 OFFLINE   Wellsdesigned

Wellsdesigned

Senior (in title, not age) Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 648 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping
    Traveling
    Molding My 10 Acres
    Writing
    Architecture
  • Camper Brand:Eagle Cap 850 w/ slide
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 Chevy 2500 HD

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:17 PM

CA weigh stations specifically say, "NO PICKUPS."
Based above the Sacramento CA fog/smog
2002 2500HD 4X4 Ext. Cab 6.0L
2004 Eagle Cap 850 TC w/slide-out

My creative writing Website

#5 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 757 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

in Ohio - i hope i have the wording correct - All commerical vehicles over 4 tons when empty must stop. so i never stopped. but, i do not beleive they really cared about any pick-up truck hauling/towing an RV.
We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#6 OFFLINE   Trucker&RVer

Trucker&RVer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Local time: 01:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WI
  • Interests:Amateur radio, (WD9HTE).
    Heating with wood pellets.
  • Camper Brand:Researching all hardsides
  • Truck Make & Model:'85 Chevy 2500HD 4x2
  • Name (Public):Tall Paul

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

I can't remember what the signs read at the Indiana chicken houses, but back in the 80's when I drove through there weekly, I heard on the CB and 2 Meter ham radio; that the diesel bears would chase and stop every pickup truck that did not stop at the coup. What they are doing now, I do not know.

If your rear tires look like they are underinflated, check the air pressure and move as much heavy cargo as far forward as possible to change the flat tire look. The younger diesel bears can be very aggressive and they could ruin your vacation, especially if they insist on searching your vehicle or just weigh you.

Larry(FedAgent), what should our response be if an officer asks to do a search of truck and/ or TC? Usually there has to be probable cause, but as Homeland (In)Security grows in strength and our rights fade away, I am not sure if that is necessary anymore. My fear would be for an officer to plant 'something'. Does anyone have any past experience with the above?
Paul.

#7 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • Local time: 03:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

Are these weigh places unmaned? We have weigh scales here that the tractor/trailers have to stop at although I don't know where they draw the line weight wise. These are on all busy highways. Then we have weigh scales where anyone wanting to weigh their RV, PU or whatever can at no charge. These are usually just off of the main highways or on secondary roads.

We also have check stops, not just for impaired drivers, but for vehicles that are not mechanically sound. They pull over every commerical vehicle and have mechanics right there that crawl underneath the truck, check brakes, tires, also under the hood for any defects. There are many tow trucks sitting there with them and many rigs get a ride on the back of the tow trucks back to their shops with heavy fines. I like to think that this is a way to keep our highways safer, but who knows if it helps or not. I would imagine once the police are set up, the warning call goes out over their CBs to all other truckers in the area, not to go that way. The check stops are usually set up just before you exit the city.

#8 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4239 posts
  • Local time: 04:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 25 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

i think dont hold me to it but if i rember AZ states all trucks mus weight witch incudes all vans pick ups that have truck plates on them...
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#9 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • Local time: 03:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

we never stop in tx or az or anyplace...didnt know that anystate required private veh or rvs.....

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#10 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1429 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

I'm bringing back a topic a dozen years old with a slight twist. Evidently CA considers your vehicle commercial if you have a flat or utility bed on the back. Technically, this means you must stop at their scales if over 10k lbs GVWR. We make a trip to CA one everyI have now traveled twice through CA with my Ram 5500 and not stopped at the weigh stations nor have I been chased down for not stopping. Both times I was carrying a truck camper with my enclosed trailer towed behind it - Neither my truck or trailer have business or weight stickers on them indicating any commerce. Am I a scofflaw and getting away with transgressions of CA law or are they not interested in RV's who bring in tourist money? It's one of those questions you don't want to ask because you might not like the answer or attention you bring upon yourself.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 110 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

This is always an interesting topic. Good to see this old thread revived...

In NJ any diesel powered vehicle over 9999# even if for private use must run commercial plates, however, if under 15,000# no CDL is required.

So...

Being a truck camper (with no trailer) registered at 12,300# and usually <barely> under my registered weight... I typically blow right past the state scales in the NJ/PA/NY area.

Am I setting myself up for an expensive ticket...?

Just thinking out loud here,  :lightbulb:

-Ej- 

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In