• Members
  • 1224 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:NUWA Hitch Hiker 29.5FKTS
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500HD D/A
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:08 PM

Think this is great having our own spot for the Snow Gang! Lets use it to talk about the tweaks we have done to the best camper made. Everyone likes to personalize theirs so lets share some of those tweaks. Have done some things of my own and have just made me some nifty sewer hose storage tubes that fit great in the plumbing compartment. Will take some pixs in a day or two and show them off. I am sure our buddy, Snowriver Bob, would like to see some of the things we have incorporated in his camper. He has always been available to listen to our ideas and now he can keep in direct contact with us all.

Northern Colorado

#2 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

ChopperBill, glad you "volunteered" to be our moderator. I hope it is a pleasant job and doesn't give you any more gray hair. Was reading your comment on the stinky slinky storage, " made me some nifty sewer hose storage tubes that fit great in the plumbing compartment." I hope you post a couple of photos of it, I am in the process of trying to figure out a solution myself and when next I get my camper out of storage, that project is in my "top ten" list.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#3 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 AM
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

We need pictures ChopperBill I am going to add something for the hose in the next couple of weeks. Really want to see your ideas.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#4 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 03:04 PM

Did post a pix with my hose storage tubes. Isnt it coming up?

On edit: Maybe you missed this post.Hose Storage

Northern Colorado

#5 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 AM
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:37 PM

Found the picture thanks I just missed it. :blink:
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#6 OFFLINE   sasha_j

sasha_j

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 PM
  • Interests:I live in the east but travel the west.<br /><br />Interests:<br />Our new Truck and Camper<br />Dirt Bikes and ATVs<br />Planning new trips<br />Hiking, Skiing, X-Country, Beach, Kayaking, Biking<br />HDTV and AV Design<br />Computers
  • Camper Brand:Snow River 8'10"
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 SRW
  • Name (Public):sasha_j

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

Anybody ever hit their heads on the valance over the front of the bed?

Anybody remove it?

yes, it looks good, but I'm wondering just how "usable" it is day-to-day....
Sasha J

Our Web Site

05 Ford F350 SD 6.0 PSD Auto CC LB 4x4 SRW Lariat, 11500 GVWR, Rickson 19.5 wheels, G124 265/70R/19.5/G tires, Airbags & in-cab control

05 Snowriver 8'10" Super Slide with 100 W Solar, All Weather, slide out propane & batteries, skylight. Living fulltime in our SR!

#7 OFFLINE   blulund

blulund

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 342 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM
  • State/Province or Region:North Dakota
  • Interests:Elk and Mule Deer Hunting, Walleye fishing, & Golden Retrievers
  • Camper Brand:2007 37REB Escalade by K-Z
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F350 King Ranch dually crew cab
  • Name (Public):Bob Martin

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:59 AM

Sasha,

Yeah I hit that thing every so often, at least it's padded. As hard as my head is I am surprised I haven't broken it yet. Dumbest thing I have done is walking into the slide out when I wasn't looking. Snowriver Bob suggested a little bondo would get my head back into the proper shape. Worst thing about it was someone had suggested putting reflective tape on it so nobody would walk into it where I work. My reply was "Nah, if they're that dumb it will teach them to pay more attention" and then I am the one that does it. Serves me right I guess.

Bob Martin
"May I be half the man my dog thinks I am!!!"

Kota the Golden Retriever, rescued on 9-19-2009
2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, DRW, 6.0 Powerstroke, 4X4, Crewcab, Copper with Arizona Beige accents
2007 Escalade by K-Z 37 REB fifth wheel
2001 Sportcraft 25 ft Sportfish

#8 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:01 PM

Hi,

Yup, I've banged my head on the headboard and walked into the slide also. That's all part of breaking the camper in. LOL

I now have this really cool remote control lantern from Coleman that works great from about 30 feet and no more. I found this out after walking into a tree about 31 feet from the lantern when it was pitch black out. LOL

Hey Blulund, I read you got your new truck. So, how do you like it. You gotta at least tell us and brag about it!!!

#9 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:06 PM

Ah Ha! Waiting for a time to show of one of my mods. The wife and I being rather tall smacked our noggins several times on the valance getting out of bed. Thus one of my first mods.
Just take a stiff putty knife and get between the valance and the strip of wood it is mounted and work it to loosen the valance. It is just pin nailed so it comes off pretty easy. There is also an L bracket on each end to remove. Once it is removed take the staples out of the fabric and pull it back. Now take your jig saw or favorite cutting tool and cut that board right down the center. Now take your fabric and pull it back in place, trim to fit and staple it secure. Take the pin nails and mount it back on the strip of wood and remount the L brackets. I also added a bracket to the center in back of the valance and pushed it up to contour with the ceiling better.Took me less than an hour for the whole process. I took off the purple flowery stuff and just have the green velor. I also took the purple flowery stuff off the window valances. Our decor called for a more rustic look and we no longer smack our noggins.
Posted Image

Northern Colorado

#10 OFFLINE   sasha_j

sasha_j

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:I live in the east but travel the west.<br /><br />Interests:<br />Our new Truck and Camper<br />Dirt Bikes and ATVs<br />Planning new trips<br />Hiking, Skiing, X-Country, Beach, Kayaking, Biking<br />HDTV and AV Design<br />Computers

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

Our decor called for a more rustic look and we no longer smack our noggins.

Hey ChopperBill,

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing exactly what you did. You seem to not have REMOVED the valance, you just moved it up, is that right?

If so, then why cut it in two? What am I missing here?
Sasha J

Our Web Site

05 Ford F350 SD 6.0 PSD Auto CC LB 4x4 SRW Lariat, 11500 GVWR, Rickson 19.5 wheels, G124 265/70R/19.5/G tires, Airbags & in-cab control

05 Snowriver 8'10" Super Slide with 100 W Solar, All Weather, slide out propane & batteries, skylight. Living fulltime in our SR!

#11 OFFLINE   sasha_j

sasha_j

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:33 PM

Yup, I've banged my head on the headboard and walked into the slide also. That's all part of breaking the camper in.

How does one walk into the slide? Isn't the slide in the OUT position when camping?
Sasha J

Our Web Site

#12 OFFLINE   blulund

blulund

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

Sasha,

Insructions for walking into the slide: look down at the ground, walk around the passenger side of the truck going from rear to front, BAM you just walked into the slide. It is especially easy to do if your last truck camper didn't have a slide out and you forget that your new one does. You can rearrange your glasses and cap pretty good by doing this. Of course your first reaction is to look around and see who witnessed it. lol

Bob Martin

2006 Ford F350 King Ranch, DRW, 6.0 Powerstroke, 4X4, Crewcab, Copper with Arizona Beige accents

#13 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

Our decor called for a more rustic look and we no longer smack our noggins.

Hey ChopperBill,

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing exactly what you did. You seem to not have REMOVED the valance, you just moved it up, is that right?

If so, then why cut it in two? What am I missing here?

Yes I removed the valance, took it completely down. Guess I should have said I "split" the board after removing the fabric making it about 4 inches wide. Then reinstalled it.

Northern Colorado

#14 OFFLINE   sasha_j

sasha_j

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:08 PM

look down at the ground, walk around the passenger side of the truck going from rear to front, BAM you just walked into the slide.

D'oh!

OK, I get it now, we're talking outside the camper. I originally was thinking hitting it inside when closed for whatever reason that I cannot think of.....
Sasha J

Our Web Site

#15 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:14 PM

Blulund,

Perfect instructions on hitting the slide....ROTFLMAO.

#16 OFFLINE   westended

westended

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:41 AM

I have another one. Get tire gauge from glove box, bend down to check tire pressure in rear tires. Stand up quickly.

#17 OFFLINE   westended

westended

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 PM

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:05 AM

I hope this does not turn into a flame war about who’s way to walk into the slide is best. Everyone has a walk that works best for them. As I have mentioned in my previous post I prefer to rapidly get up from a crouched position and gouge the top of my scalp. Others prefer to smash their noses or foreheads as they turn the corner walking towards the front of the camper. This can be particularly fun if done in the dark.

I get upset when I see postings about coworkers bumping into slides without reflective tape. These people don’t even own campers and they are bumping their heads into our slides. Unless you actually own a slide out camper don’t bump your head.

“What is important here is that we all get out and bump our heads into our slides. Isn’t that what we bought our slide out for”?

JMHO LOL

#18 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:29 AM

I can't exactly say I walk into the slide. More like a stagger. :o

Northern Colorado

#19 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:10 PM

Being the first to build a slide-out camper, (some still refute that) I find bumping your head on one is all part of the experience. I have left the slide, out and travelled at 60 MPH down the highway, thinking everyone was admiring my camper. Actually they were saying, look at the dumb shit that left his slide- out out. Actually those were the wife's words. Have had two so far that have hit telephone poles while in the out position. One was fixable, the other belonged to Jerry Spring, yes Jerry Spring from Auburn We eventually sold Mr and MRs Spring a new 10'8. Nice people, haven't heard from them in about two years. So next time you bump your head on your slide, be it a Lance, Arctic Fox, Alpenlite, Eaglecap, or Bigfoot remember to curse, "Damn that Bob Mehrer" cause he is the guy that started it all. Have a great evening.

Bob
Snowriver1

#20 OFFLINE   blulund

blulund

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

Snowriver Bob,

You make me laugh, I have wanted to ask on this forum or on RV.Net if anyone had ever accidently driven with the slide-out out on their camper. I have been afraid to ask because I figured someone would think I had done that and didn't want to admit it. I haven't done it yet but I'm sure the day will come.

Have a great day,

Bob Martin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In