• Local time: 02:50 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NH
  • Interests:Travel-Recreational Vehicles
  • Camper Brand:Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:86FB
  • Name (Public):Syd

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:42 AM

Marv v
I had one left over when I traded my Lance for my Host. It fits perfect on my Ford F350 and Host TC.

#22 OFFLINE   mar v

mar v

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-250 Super Duty Powerstroke V-8 Diesel Crew Cab
  • Name (Public):Marlene

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Marv v
I had one left over when I traded my Lance for my Host. It fits perfect on my Ford F350 and Host TC.

Are you saying you have an extra one?
When life gives you lemons, go camping anyway!!

#23 OFFLINE   RedRattler01

RedRattler01

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford Pickup
  • Name (Public):Chris

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

Here's what I did... Bought one of those foam "camping" pads (apprx 3" X 36"X72") at the end of the season for $15 and stuck it in between the cab and the camper... then I used a old electric carving knife and cut the opening for the slider windows... If the foam isn't thick enough buy some spray glue and double it... once you have the inside opening cut, figure out how much to leave around the windows and trim accordingly...

#24 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 11 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Here's what I did... Bought one of those foam "camping" pads (apprx 3" X 36"X72") at the end of the season for $15 and stuck it in between the cab and the camper... then I used a old electric carving knife and cut the opening for the slider windows... If the foam isn't thick enough buy some spray glue and double it... once you have the inside opening cut, figure out how much to leave around the windows and trim accordingly...

Sounds good to me. I'm not looking for something for going down the road with. Back seat will be doggy bedroom and just want to keep the bugs out when camped.

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#25 OFFLINE   Hey there

Hey there

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance Lite 150, 8'6", 93:Fleetwood Caribou, 01, 11J
  • Truck Make & Model:2001 Chev Silv 3500 CC dually 6.0 gasser

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

Great idea Redrattler01! That's what I'm going to do.

#26 OFFLINE   mar v

mar v

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for that information. I think I have an idea. If it works I will fill you in later.

#27 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 438 posts
  • State/Province or Region:vermont
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo '06
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel ext cab, short bed
  • Name (Public):anne

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:18 PM

Re. foam boot and pets: we have 2 dogs, they travel in the bed of the camper (northstar) and sleep in the back seat of the truck at nite. I bought a 4" thick piece of foam at a fabric store (the kind you would buy for a mattress or seat cushion) and cut 4 pieces to fit around the window opening. (need to cut it at least an extra inch thick so you can "squeeze" it into place and it will fit tightly. keeps the bugs out at nite. and stays in place even while driving. = also, made bug screens for the truck windows with fabric netting and the kind of thin magnets that come in strips and can be cut. (comes in a roll) so we can leave the truck windows open at nite for the dogs. those dogs! they get everything! - i know this original post was in '06, but maybe this info will be helpful to someone.

tn_gallery_3117_167_22668.jpg

#28 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • Local time: 12:50 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:04 AM

You've certainly got my attention, re: "the kind of thin magnets that come in strips and can be cut". Where would I look for such a thing?

Thanks!

Re. foam boot and pets: we have 2 dogs, they travel in the bed of the camper (northstar) and sleep in the back seat of the truck at nite. I bought a 4" thick piece of foam at a fabric store (the kind you would buy for a mattress or seat cushion) and cut 4 pieces to fit around the window opening. (need to cut it at least an extra inch thick so you can "squeeze" it into place and it will fit tightly. keeps the bugs out at nite. and stays in place even while driving. = also, made bug screens for the truck windows with fabric netting and the kind of thin magnets that come in strips and can be cut. (comes in a roll) so we can leave the truck windows open at nite for the dogs. those dogs! they get everything! - i know this original post was in '06, but maybe this info will be helpful to someone.

Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#29 OFFLINE   Northstar Campers

Northstar Campers

Manufacturer - Founding Member

• TC- Manufacturers
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

We have used a foam boot for years. It differs from some others on the market as it is covered in a vinyl so it does not get wet when traveling in rain. It is easy to wipe off after use also. We stock lots of them, so if any one has a need for a boot that will work well on almost any rig except the import trucks, let us know. We want all your money! I sell several Lance dealers this boot as they prefer it. Cost is 110.00.

#30 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 05:50 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

You've certainly got my attention, re: "the kind of thin magnets that come in strips and can be cut". Where would I look for such a thing?

Thanks!

I know over at the print shop they can order flat sheets of magnet material (they use them for signs that can stick to the side of a truck) and then you can cut them however you want. That may not be the 'roll' he was talking about, but it might work just as well or better.

Or just buy one pre-made from Rex!
BT

PS: Looks like Mar V never updated the thread....I wonder what she did? I will never use my boot again as my new truck doesn't have a pass through (I might give it towhoever buys my old S&S....if it ever sells). It's also funny to see Tate saying "this is my last Lance" and right below is his signature with his Snow River. That's when I realized how old this thread was!
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#31 OFFLINE   mar v

mar v

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

I know over at the print shop they can order flat sheets of magnet material (they use them for signs that can stick to the side of a truck) and then you can cut them however you want. That may not be the 'roll' he was talking about, but it might work just as well or better.

Or just buy one pre-made from Rex!
BT

PS: Looks like Mar V never updated the thread....I wonder what she did? I will never use my boot again as my new truck doesn't have a pass through (I might give it towhoever buys my old S&S....if it ever sells). It's also funny to see Tate saying "this is my last Lance" and right below is his signature with his Snow River. That's when I realized how old this thread was!

Sorry about that.... I bought a piece of foam and a piece of water proof vinyl. Cut a hole in the foam and covered it with the vinyl using clear duct tape to seal the seams. It worked great until I lost it somewhere between Buena Vista and Colorado Springs. I think I did not back the camper in tight enough to hold it in place. The wind must have come in a swooped it out. Haven't been camping for a while. With diesal prices I think I will only be local camping if I do. Fortunately there are plenty of places to camp. ( BLM, National Forest, State campgrounds and lots of private ones.

Hope you are doing well, Brian.

Marlene

#32 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 827 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

Our dogs always stay in the back seat, and are too big to move between truck and camper. Sometimes they cheat and start sneaking into the front seat:

Posted Image

We have a boot that a friend gave us, but it doesn't fit tightly enough. It has gotten sucked out sideways before and we walked back to retrieve it......

Is that beautiful dog a Leonburger?

Ditto on our dog being too big to get up front. We have a harness and seatbelt in the car, but I'm lazy about using it. I do worry about a sharp stop and turning the 100 lb dog into a missle.

#33 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:42 AM

Thanks!

Hi, got the magnets at Michael's (a craft-store chain) they come in all sizes. I bought rolls. something like 1/2 inch by 6 feet.

#34 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

We have used a foam boot for years. It differs from some others on the market as it is covered in a vinyl so it does not get wet when traveling in rain. It is easy to wipe off after use also. We stock lots of them, so if any one has a need for a boot that will work well on almost any rig except the import trucks, let us know. We want all your money! I sell several Lance dealers this boot as they prefer it. Cost is 110.00.

We knew about the foam boot but both dealers we talked to about Northstar campers said it scratched the paint on the truck. That's why we didnt go for it.

#35 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 05:50 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

Hi Maralene! Yep, doing fine...life is getting a bit back to normal after last summer spent in Indiana helping take care of family. Doing less camping than some years, but more than last. Hope you are doing well also and there is a certainly a LOT to explore where you live now!

Kayakin, thanks for the compliment on Jasper....he is an awesome dog and always catches people's eyes when he is out in public. Never heard of a Leonburger, but according to the vets back when we got him from the pound, they think he is a Rottweiler/Golden Retriever mix. He certainly has the size of a Rottie (115 pounds at his peak weight) and the personality of a Golden.

Here's a few more pics of the 'boys'. We lost Jake (the Chow Chow) a year ago March, and Jasper is getting pretty 'creaky' as well. He has trouble with stairs and we have a lot at the house. At least the new camper has a lower entrance that works with the ramp.....and the floor in the back of our new truck is huge so he likes the new setup.

Hope nobody minds the side-track off topic...but hey it's a 2 year old thread anyway :fing32:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This one always cracks me up how they would manage to get around and get in and out of the camper with their leashes still attached outside.
Posted Image

We miss old Jake but glad Jasper is till hangin' in there....
2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In