Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Northern Lite Quality

35 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the quality of your Northern Lite (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the quality of your Northern Lite

1. Exceptional (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

2. Excellent (17 votes [43.59%])

Percentage of vote: 43.59%

3. Very Good (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

4. Good (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

5. Average (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

6. Poor (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

7. Very poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Piece of junk (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 12:35 PM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:42 AM

Jim,
You guy's are makin me blush.

Bob
Snowriver1

#22 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 05:35 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

Bob did Bonapartre ever show up at your factory? I told him to go look at Midtown Rv and then go find you for a tour.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#23 OFFLINE   Mrs. Rich

Mrs. Rich

Poster

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 07:35 PM
  • Interests:Crocheting, baking, reading, keeping up with my daughter
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 8' 11"
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD
  • Name (Public):Karen

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

I thought this was a forum about Northern Lite and the quality? What's up with this? Isn't that what this is about?

I have been reading and keeping up with this and there are some of you that have faces like this on here! :rolleyes:

#24 OFFLINE   Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:20 PM

Bob did Bonapartre ever show up at your factory? I told him to go look at Midtown Rv and then go find you for a tour.

Paul,

I stopped in at Midtown and looked at a few units. They had a 10'8" used one in stock but no new ones.
I also looked at a new smaller unit. The salesman, very helpfull, told me to go on a factory tour and said to make sure to be there before 3:00 pm.
I'm going back to the dealer in a few days when I'm leaving this campsite and I might still go to the factory. I keep you informed!

Thanks for the help! :-)

----------

Mrs. Rich I'm sorry that your other half did not take the time to respond after I answered his questions.

No hard feelings.

Paul already apologized on his behalf. :-)

#25 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 12:35 PM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

Paul,
No Bonaparte has not been to our factory. And no this is not RV.Net. Negative posts can exist here. Hopfully without flaming. Every manufacturer can have a problem, how the problem is handled is valuable information to someone thinking of purchasing a truck camper. Handling problems is totally up to each manufacturer as is responding to a post on NATCOA. I have learned valuable lessons from posts here. If we start to restrict experiences we may become RV.Net. If a post proves to be overkill when being negative, I trust that there are enough moderators with sense enough to delete it. I think Bonaparte had a bad experience, as did Smoothetop and Sydbette. We must remember not to kill the messanger because we do not like the message. These people have reported bad experiences with their campers, at least on the NATCOA forum a manufacturer has the ability to respond unlike RV. Net. I feel this was part of NATCOA"s creation. We will all have our turn. It will help us grow if we understand that things will happen even to the brands we own. If we silence the critiques we will never improve. Each manufacturer must choose their level of participation here, some days we may get burned. But somedays we will help a customer when we realize he has been caught in the crazy rules that we have created within our factories. We can then change the way we do business and satisfy our customers because it has been brought to our attention.

Bob
Snowriver1

#26 OFFLINE   Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

Good post, Bob, and thanks for pointing that out.
I'm new here and it looks that everone has an opportunity here to have their say without getting deleted.
Being polite and using common sense, that's what it is all about.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are camping in Oliver BC.

We drove back into Penticton with my truck and camper to see what the deal would be on a Snowbird at MidTown RV.

Trading my camper in is out of the question. Not a good deal.
They would give me a great price if I would show up without a trade-in.

I need to sell my camper privately to make it worthwhile but that's hard to do right now as I'm for 2 months on the road to go across Canada.

I might check a few dealers somewhere along the way.

We didn't go on the factory tour. Maybe some other time, it's awfull hot here, and I'm pulling my motorcycle out of the trailer and me and the wife are touring around Oliver, Osoyoos, Penticton, and area.

#27 OFFLINE   golfer

golfer

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 04:35 PM
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500
  • Name (Public):Bob

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:45 AM

Well be very carefull either snowbird or snowriver....nice camper but owner a little different drinks bud no other kind expect you to visit every year Very nice wife but he is something else.....plays golf either card game or real golf and always wins.....requires you to build fire at any gettogether always brings food drinks a lot of coffee...always thinking of something new ..to build into his campers...has a crew of guys that would kill for him....and owners that swear by him......what can i say........jim

I just met him this past week in Nebraska at the show. I think your discription is pretty accurate and I was VERY
impressed with the product.

Have a great day

#28 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Local time: 06:35 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

We have just finished our first year in our NL 8' 11" Queen. We love this camper.

From a quality perspective, I'm generally quite impressed with how well this camper is built. The only faults I can find in construction is a couple of over tightened screws that have either cracked a door catch, or sunk in too far in the water pump mounts.

We had significant problems with our fridge. It started flashing garbage on the display the second time I put the camper on the truck. The factory authorized mobile repair dude made 7 or 8 trips to our house over about two months trying to fix it. It now works fine. According to the Norcold spec sheet, this fridge draws 15A when it is running on the DC setting, and 3A from 12VDC when using LP. Perhaps this is the trade off from having the larger fridge.

Since almost all of the camp sites we visit are unserviced, we only get 3 to 4 days at best from a pair of 180RC batteries. I'm in the process of installing a battery isolator, but any feedback any of you would be willing to provide on how to reduce 12VDC usage with this fridge would be more than welcome.

The comment about the sink in the bathroom is very accurate. If they shaped the wall that supports the sink inwards somewhat, the legroom problem might get better.

Some other random thoughts on other posts in this discussion would be:

- RV dealers appear to make much larger margins than either car or boat dealerships. It pays to do your homework and shop around. We bought ours at a dealer 2 hours from here.
- I totally agree with the multiple posts on how poor the battery chargers are. I would expect them all to monitor battery health and charge accordingly, not just crank out a fixed voltage.

#29 OFFLINE   pando

pando

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing
  • Camper Brand:2005 Okanagan 811SL
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Ford F350 6.4 PSD Short Box
  • Name (Public):Peter Malone

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:36 AM

It doesn't matter where my wife cooks, I have to disable the alarm also :scared0011:

Glad to hear your happy. We took ours out for 4 nights 2 weekends ago, absolutely love it. Fit and finish is excellent on our also.

I think the fire alarm propblem is the same with all campers because they are so small. I disabled mine in my Okanagan.
2008 F350 6.4L PSD, 2005 Okanagan 811SL

#30 OFFLINE   lloyd4383

lloyd4383

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Camper Brand:northern lite
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 dodge/cummins
  • Name (Public):lloyd

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

I too have trouble with the smoke alarm. I have the 10 2Q center dinette. I feel it is a great camper. It is a 2007 bought in 2008. The first couple weeks were a little tense. Water ran down the passenger side, in through the refer panel and under the refer and leaked out on the floor. It discolored the wood. Seems they put in a butyl dam in front of the refer to keep that from happening, in case you spray it with a hose or something, and forgot the dam in mine. The dealer fixed it promptly and refinished the wood and did a nice job. There were also some stripped screws that held the door frame in. They also fixed those. I think that is the danger with using air guns to drive screws. I had the large vent over the bed and the first time out was really bad weather, rain, snow, hail, really high humidity. That vent got copious amounts of condensation, even when I had it open an inch or so. I changed it out for the fancy upgrade and really like that. No condensation on that one. One of the plastic pipe fittings for the water system in the back was loose which also unleashed a bunch of water in the basement but I found and tightened it. Sounds like a lot but not unexpected. Other than that it is a great camper and one I will keep for a long time. I really like the sliding dinette table. The bathroom could certainly stand to be about 1" wider. The idea of leaving out the sink had never occurred to me but actually makes a lot of sense. Kitchen sink is way better anyway. My old camper had larger tanks but the greywater from the bathroom ran into the blackwater tank so it actually had less available tankage. And Keith was with us all the way. I really appreciated his attention and returning of calls and emails.

#31 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Local time: 01:35 PM
  • Interests:Traveling/ camping boating in the highest mountains
  • Camper Brand:NL 10-2000
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 CTD
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

I just changed out my smoke alarm for a newer version that has the hush button. It silences it for ten minutes.

Probably the biggest mistake I made with my camper was to complain about the problems I had on rvnet, fixed them all myself, and never gave the manufacturer a chance to fix anything. On one occasion all I had to do was send some pics and they would have sent me a check for the repairs to be done here at my place. I never even sent the pics. My very very bad.

I'm sure the owner would have been very good and gracious about the problems I had, but, I had to take an attitude about it. For this I am sorry for, and hope in spite of the recession Keith does very well.

Mike
To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#32 OFFLINE   nlite

nlite

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite
  • Truck Make & Model:2500 HD GMC

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

At The 2 year point with my NL 9.6 Queen SE, and the results are;
1. The propane door let water stand in the compartment, fixed with a water dam I made.
2. The storage above the battery compt. leaked water in, fixed with a water dam of my design.
3. The battery compartment leaked water in, so a water dam on that too.
4. Water in the basement, turned out to be the frame for the basement door leaked at the corner. Wonder why I had the square corner door with seams as some of the other basement models have radius corners. Dis-assembled and repaired.
5. why do RV's come with a fan other then a fantastic fan? Installed one in the bath. Same for the converter, install a real charger.
6. If the rail on the roof is not safe to use, why put holes in the roof to install it?!
7. The sewer hose holder, I guess I just don't understand why it is there, too small, too short.

#33 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Local time: 06:35 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

One thing I would suggest to Northern Lite:

The Cable prewire jack is underneath the fresh water fill inlet on the outside front drivers side on our NL. This means that every time I fill the water, there is some that leaks onto that connector. I work for a company that manufactures Radio Equipment and I would expect that eventually getting moisture in this connector will cause problems. The problem is not only the connector getting wet, but eventually the water works its way into the cable itself, and creates capacitance and a host of other issues. Satellite receivers actually use this cable for a DC component, so a water problem will occur similar to what bad home installations get, poorer reception as time goes on and water accumulates.

You may want to move it up and above the fresh water intake. This improvement shouldn't cost anything...

Eric.

#34 OFFLINE   niknas

niknas

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 2008 9.6 Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2007 Classic 2500HD Duramax CCLB
  • Name (Public):Nik

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:06 AM

After owning our Northern Lite for five months and several trips I feel I can chime in about the quality of our Northern Lite. Excellent.

We switched from a Airstream after 13 years to the Northern Lite with some hesitation. Prime reason for the switch was I got tired of dragging a trailer. We went with a TC because I still wanted to be able to drop our "home" when camping.

Using the Airstream as our quality standard I can say without reservation that Northern Lite is equal to and in fact exceeds all expectations. Perhaps the most telling point is was when I pulled the fridge out to run wire for the solar panel. I had a buddy helping me, he noted how clean the install was. NO metal shavings, no wood dust, silicone bead sealing the contact point between the fridge and outside compartment, very tight fit.

Yes I had some minor problems, a sticky drawer, a leaky fitting between the bath sink and shower hose. Both were very easy fixes.

The employees of Northern Lite must be congratulated for the pride in their work.

One happy camper,
Nik
2008 Northern Lite 9.6 Queen SE.
Kyocera 85 Watt Solar, Solar Boost 2000E Controller, Dealer installed Northern Lite boat rack

2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison.
Firestone air bags, AirLift Wireless Controller, Rancho 9000XL Torklift tiedowns, TTT Towing mirrors

#35 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 995 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

Three and a half years later and we are still voting on the same question? 35 votes in--I thought everybody here owned a Snowriver. :sterb003: :thumbs_down:
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#36 OFFLINE   Tizi

Tizi

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge RAM 2500

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

We like ours a lot. Have had it about a year now. I used to detail RVs for a living back in the day and I have seen really good and poor quality. When I stepped into a NL for the first time, I noticed right away the quality build. Very solid. The only thing I think they could have done better was in the electrical. The converter/charger - Magnatek 7000 series is junk. I am going to replace that next spring. Also, the wiring to the batteries from the converter/charger is only 10 ga. I need to upgrade to larger wiring in order to install a 60 amp charger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In