Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Northern Lite Quality

35 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the quality of your Northern Lite (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the quality of your Northern Lite

1. Exceptional (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

2. Excellent (17 votes [43.59%])

Percentage of vote: 43.59%

3. Very Good (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

4. Good (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

5. Average (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

6. Poor (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

7. Very poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Piece of junk (1 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 11:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:43 AM

Please be honest & own one.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#2 OFFLINE   Bubba

Bubba

Founding Member

• Founder
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Trucks, Boats, Seeing North America
  • Camper Brand:2002 NL 9 1/2 Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Silverrado 2500HD D/A
  • Name (Public):Everett Dean Emerson aka Bubba

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

Love the camper. The only thing that i would change is the sink in the head. They need to take it out giviing you more leg room.

2005 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 CC, LB D/A

2002 9 1/2 NL Classic

1 Wife, Carol

2 Goldens, Wazzu and Heide

Camano Island, WA

Dean Emerson (Bubba)

#3 OFFLINE   canyonwren

canyonwren

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Local time: 10:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Idaho
  • Interests:Traveling, TC Camping, Whitewater Rafting, Geocaching, Flyfishing, Bike Riding, Recumbent Riding, Hashing, and just plain having fun!
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 9' 6" Super-Slide
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge 3500HD

Posted 04 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

We spent our first week in our new NL over our spring break. We really like it! I had time, when it was raining, to look at the interior detailing extensively and could not find a flaw.

I would agree that if they left out the sink it would provide more leg room. We didn't use that sink once during the week. So far there is plenty of storage space for our needs.

I noticed that three times while we were cooking the fire alarm went off and we had to fan it to get it to stop. I might suggest moving that to the opposite side of the interior. I suppose that it is located there, above and to the left of the stove, because of the close proximity to the oven & stove, but even with the vent fan over the stove on it set off the alarm once. That's all I have observed thus far. Like I said we are not the least bit disappointed in out choice.

Dean
Canyonwren
Post Falls, Idaho
I am retired from North Idaho College.

2005 Dodge 1 Ton, Long bed, SRW (Air Bags, Supersprings & Rancho 9000 shocks, Rickson 19.5 Wheels).
Snowriver 9' 6" Super-Slide, Progressive Dynamics PD9130, 30 amp power converter, Kyocera KC-130, 130 Watt Solar Panels, Solar Boost 2512i from Blue Sky with the IPN-Remote display.

Canyonwren Travels

#4 OFFLINE   CTD Hauler

CTD Hauler

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Camper Brand:1994 Snowbird 810
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Ram 2500 4X4 QC LB

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

It doesn't matter where my wife cooks, I have to disable the alarm also :D

Glad to hear your happy. We took ours out for 4 nights 2 weekends ago, absolutely love it. Fit and finish is excellent on our also.

#5 OFFLINE   Retired Mech.1998

Retired Mech.1998

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 274 posts
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:2004 Snowriver 8.10
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW 4wd Extended Cab
  • Name (Public):Kurt & Carol Luke

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

We spent 2 months in 2004 through 10 states& 4 national parks & loved our northern Lite Ten 2000 RR. Great camper. Kurt & Carol
2004 Chevy 3500 Ext Cab LB Duramax Alley DWR. 32.5 Hitchhicker II

#6 OFFLINE   BillandHeidi

BillandHeidi

Poster

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 9.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 Silverado 2500 HD
  • Name (Public):Bill and Heidi

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

We JUST bought ours, (9'6" Queen SE) so far so good, but my nitpicks are no autoshift propane regulator, and what is with the prehistoric converter chargers in RVs these days? Seems everything else has three stage microproceesor controlled chargers. First project is a Fantastic fan for the fake fan in the bath :)
2002 Silverdado 2500 HD SRW Std cab 6.o gasser 4X4
2006 Northern Lite 9.5 / Torklifts

#7 OFFLINE   DavidB

DavidB

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Local time: 12:11 AM
  • Interests:woodworking, photography, hiking, fishing, getting away from work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Northern Lite, 10.2 CD SE ( Wahoo! )
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 GMC 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

I just posted my first impressions on our new NL in the general forum.
Overall extremely pleased. Some things need a little attention and fine tuning, but no major faults to list.

#8 OFFLINE   Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:27 AM

I bought a new Northern Lite and I think the quality is average.
(This is my third new camper since 1978.)

1. Cupboard doors not installed properly, most are crooked.
2. Problems with a few things while travelling through the Okanagon, Canada.
Stopped in Kelowna at the factory and was told to go and see my dealer (850 km from Kelowna).
Decided to stop at the first RV place (not a Northern Lite dealer) down the road and they fixed my problems while shaking their heads
about the treatment I got at the factory.
3. Had stove and fridge problems.
4. Roof latch problems.
5. Decals started to look really messy after one year and I took them all off the camper.
6. Leaks under the sink.
7. Awning came loose after one summer. (Not a factory installed awning.)
8. Leaks at outdoor shower.

The bathroom/shower is to small to use but I guess I should have noticed that before I bought the camper.

(I changed the steps as they were to dangerous to use, the camper sits on a GMC dually 4x4 diesel truck which is a little high.
I wished manufaturers would be able to come up with a decent system to get in and out of the camper.)

Would I buy another one? No, I don't think so. The quality is only average in my opinion.
Next time I look at a Big Foot Camper.

What bothered me the most was the treatment at the factory and no responses to e-mails.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Bonaparte, I've got a few questions for you.
The year, and model of your camper please.
When did you buy it?
Who did you speak with at the factory and when?
I would scratch number 7 off the list as that can't be blamed on Northern Lite, if it wasn't done at the factory, or factory employed personnel, personally I wouldn't blame it on Northern Lite.
How did the “Decals started to look really messy after one year”.
As for “stove and fridge problems”. Are these related to their installation, or is it the product it self. Reason being, Northern Lite can’t be responsible for something they don’t build, they are however responsible for installation. I’d be pretty sure that if you’re having a problem with an accessory manufactured that they choose to install (Norcold instead of Dometic or Waeco) they’d want to know.
The outside shower leaks, behind the shower (inside and water flows down the wall out of sight) or does it leak when in use and where do these leaks originate, that is if you can see their origination.

If you think I doubt you, yes I am to an extent. Don't take it personal, some people create an ID just to belittle another manufacturer, I want to ensure that this is not the case here.

Would you please start a new topic in this section, as us commenting back and fourth over one person’s camper problems would highjack this thread.

Please post some pictures where possible to help myself and others assist you where we can.

#10 OFFLINE   Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

The year, and model of your camper please.

- NL 10-2000

When did you buy it?

Sept. 2001 Brand new.

Who did you speak with at the factory and when?

Early spring 2002.

I owned the camper 6 months.

Lady at the reception area and with the manager being present in the office.

How did the “Decals started to look really messy after one year”.

They came loose and were bubbled. Were not installed properly. I suspect they did not clean the area before they put them on.

As for “stove and fridge problems”. Are these related to their installation, or is it the product it self.

Sloppy installation.

The outside shower leaks.

Hoses not installed properly. Leaked on the first trip.

If you think I doubt you, yes I am to an extent. Don't take it personal.....

Yes, I do take it personal. I'm not here to post lies on a RV forum.

Please post some pictures where possible to help myself and others assist you where we can.

No pictures available.

All cupboard doors have been taken out the first year I owned the camper.
The edges needed to be planed as the doors were touching and binding which resulted in the hinges coming loose.

Everythingelse has been fixed the first year I owned the camper. No help from the factory.

I still own the camper and use it often.

Wether you like it or not: What I'm saying is that I never buy a Northern Lite again.

I noticed this thread was intended for feed back on Northern Lite Campers. I used this thread for this purpose and I have no intention to fight with you about the issue.

#11 OFFLINE   derf

derf

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:pa
  • Camper Brand:LANCE 845
  • Truck Make & Model:FORD350 SB-SWR-excab-4WD-5.4
  • Name (Public):derf

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:28 AM

I did not like the tone of your post Rich, especially as a moderator of this forum.
YMMV, Jim

i agree 150% !!!!!

#12 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:50 AM

Ok, I'm not quite sure what is going on here. Bonaparte: Rich sounds defensive, for sure, but it is not the first time some has tried to use this forum to intentionally trash one manufacturer or another, and I am not suggesting that is the case here, Rich may be jumping to conclusions. If so, I apologize. Since you are in Williams Lake, have you tried taking the unit back to the factory & showing them the problems in person? If not, I would suggest you give that a try. Usually companies are a lot more conducive to fixing stuff when you show up on their doorstep. You need to try to talk to someone like Keith Donkin.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#13 OFFLINE   Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:52 AM

Since you are in Williams Lake, have you tried taking the unit back to the factory & showing them the problems in person? If not, I would suggest you give that a try.

As I mentioned in my post I did go to the factory in early 2002.
It was my first trip with the camper because as I mentioned I bought the camper in the fall of 2001.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow, I fix all the probles myself and some have been done by others. After that we enjoyed the camper but will never buy this brand again.

The reason I posted here is because I found this website and I'm in the market for another camper, we want a slide-out.

I saw this thread where one can evaluate Northern Lite, which I did.

I am not, as Rich seems to think, "another manufacturer" out here to trash "another brand".

My wife and I have been RV-ing since the early 70 and never had a bad experience as the one at the Northern Lite manufacturer in Kelowna.

End of story.

#14 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

Fair enough.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#15 OFFLINE   NL Ten 2000 RR

NL Ten 2000 RR

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1092 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite Ten 2000 RR
  • Truck Make & Model:1990 Dodge w/Cummins

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

Bought a NL Ten 2000 RR model last summer. Liked the boat hull construction, that should be most leak resistant over time. Liked wide area in floor for passing each other. Liked sliding dinette table located in right rear corner (away from traffic and towards scenic side of road). Also, more windows in corner of camper make camper feel roomier to me. I liked heaviest model (fully loaded with options) NL makes, that is easily handled by my '90' 3/4 ton SRW truck (Firestone air bags and Rancho 9000s). I was convinced to go wet bath by more experienced (older) camping buddies. They, and now I, like a wet bath as I have more room sitting down to shower versus standing up (335 lbs, 6' 2"). Most dry baths seem no roomier than a wet bath with no way to sit down. Sitting down makes limited space roomier.

This should be a very usefull tip: You can make just about any shower seem much larger by turning Fantastic fan on low with bath door opened an inch or two. This literally vacuum forms shower curtain tightly against bathroom wall, eliminating the shower curtain constantly wanting to stick to your wet body. Shower vent is opened but fan not running. Fantastic vent fan is above aisle (not in shower). This tip good for most any camper. Really makes a big difference in roominess. Did not have any problem with space intrusion of bathroom vanity after getting used to it on the third day of owning camper.

I did follow somene's tip to apply (glue) garage door weather strip above several appliance vents for additional weather proofing (thanks). Did not notice any problem with water, but I have become paranoid over the years and experience.

Only problem I found so far with my camper was that the water lines were crossed causing bath vanity (controls shower) hot and cold to be reversed as well as sending warm water to the toilet. I didn't bother to take camper to Fun Time Campers in Indiana for repair. Not worth fooling with. They would likely remove outside shower to access where lines were crossed.

I did option the 110V/gas hot water heater. I usually go to the same place with 110V available, so I save my LP. I have however used both energy sources repeatedly so far.

My old bus of a truck handles just like a small motorhome, with no tippiness at all. It handled my old Avion like it wasn't even there (lighter by 1350 lbs) on totally stock suspension. New camper weighs 3,141 lbs. I had set Ranchos at setting 6 (may try setting 7 this year).

Love the camper. Wasn't inexpensive, but I was leary of long-term structural integrity and also worried about additional weight of slideout/s. My old camper was pre-slideout era. I usually keep things a very long time.

Gary

#16 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Local time: 07:11 PM
  • Interests:Traveling/ camping boating in the highest mountains
  • Camper Brand:NL 10-2000
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 CTD
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:50 AM

I do like my NL camper and after much work on my part it will last a very long time. Must also add that work on any level involving building living quarters, whether campers, or your home, requires an awful amount of work. The list can go on for a long time, picking-up all the little loose ends, doing everything to a satisfying level, profits can dwindle extremely fast. I have experienced this many times in doing turn key constn. and remodeling for 27 yrs.

With dealers screaming for more profit and manufacturers with high overhead, he has to make production pay or he is not in biz for very long. This makes for a dificult situation when a NL buyer comes along that is as pickey as I, when compitition is tough enough to stay in the market, and not price yourself out of a dealer

I must admit I did not pay $30K for my NL, I have only been told they are getting up to this price. My point to all this; I have a great camper. Sure it cost me $23K and alot of final detail work, I love the challeng b.t.w., But I really have something worth keeping. Thanks to NL for building something and doing the hardest part of a final product worth keeping.

Mike

Edited by mjgcamper, 13 February 2011 - 08:55 AM.

To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#17 OFFLINE   Bonaparte

Bonaparte

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

Just a side note on my NL experience. If you read my post above you'll understand.
I do like my NL camper and after much work on my part it will last a very long time, well into retirement. Must also add that work on any level that is involving building living quarters, whether campers or your home, requires an awful amount of work. The list can go on for a long time to picking-up all the little loose ends, doing everything to a satisfying level, that profits can dwindle extremely fast. I have experienced this many times in doing turn key constn. and remodeling for 27 yrs.

With dealers screaming for more profit and manufacturers high overhead, he has to make production pay or he is not in biz for very long. This makes for a dificult situation when a NL buyer comes along that is as pickey as I, when compitition is tough enough to stay in the market.

I must admit I did not pay $30K for my NL, I have only been told they are getting up to this price now. My point to all this is I have a great camper. Sure it cost me $23K and alot of final detail work on my part, I love the challeng b.t.w., But I really have something worth keeping. Thanks to NL giving me something to start with and doing the hardest part of all this.
Mike

I'm mostly in agreement with you. I would keep mine too after all the work I have done to it.

But since I'm in the market for a slide-out (need more space) I'm shopping and will not consider Northern Lite because of the hassle I went through.

I looked at a different brand today: Snowbird.

#18 OFFLINE   PR Connection

PR Connection

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Hunting
    Camping
    Fishing
    Long range target shooting
    Truck campers
  • Camper Brand:2006 Bigfoot 26' Class C
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 3500 DRW SLT D/A
  • Name (Public):Dan Gaudreau

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

I'm mostly in agreement with you. I would keep mine too after all the work I have done to it.

But since I'm in the market for a slide-out (need more space) I'm shopping and will not consider Northern Lite because of the hassle I went through.

I looked at a different brand today: Snowbird.

Gaurantee Bob will take care of you.

Dan
2007 GMC SLT CC DW Duramax Allison
Warn Stainless Bush Bar
Warn 8000lb winch
Honda 3000i generator with remote start permanently installed
2006 3000 series 26SL Bigfoot Class C
300 watts solar with Solar Boost 2000e charge regulator
Magnum energy 2000w inverter and link 10
4 6v interstate 220 ahr workaholic batteries
14' homebuilt enclose trailer with a 2007 660 rhino to go in it

#19 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • Local time: 12:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Well be very carefull either snowbird or snowriver....nice camper but owner a little different drinks bud no other kind expect you to visit every year Very nice wife but he is something else.....plays golf either card game or real golf and always wins.....requires you to build fire at any gettogether always brings food drinks a lot of coffee...always thinking of something new ..to build into his campers...has a crew of guys that would kill for him....and owners that swear by him......what can i say........jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#20 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 06:11 PM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:10 AM

[quote name='jimd40' date='May 27 2007, 06:31 PM' post='2893624']
Well be very carefull either snowbird or snowriver....nice camper but owner a little different drinks bud no other kind expect you to visit every year Very nice wife but he is something else.....plays golf either card game or real golf and always wins.....requires you to build fire at any gettogether always brings food drinks a lot of coffee...always thinking of something new ..to build into his campers...has a crew of guys that would kill for him....and owners that swear by him......what can i say........jim

Dear Jim,

My mother always told me that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Bob
Snowriver1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In