• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 04:09 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTX
  • Name (Public):JPZeroday

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:19 AM

I am on my 3rd TC setup. All Lances.

1. 2000 Lance 815 on a 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500 SRW 4x4. 80K miles on this setup. Custom ordered Lance 815. Nice light-weight setup, added Polar Cub, used with Honda 2000EU. No major repairs ever required.

2. 2001 Lance 920 on a 2003 Dodge Ram Cummins 3500 SRW 4x4. 115K miles on this setup, including one lap around North America. 500+ nights total. Fully Loaded less Solar. Polar Cub Again. No major repairs ever required.

3. 2007 Lance 1181 on a 2008 Chevy Silverado Durmax 3500 DRW 4x4. 2K miles on this setup, 6 nights. Fully Loaded. Norcold Refer currently Error Coding (!).

Hotest: 114F in Las Vegas (920)
Coldest: 5-10F in Salt Lake City (920)
100+ Subfreezing Nights (CA, UT, NV, OR, WA, BC).
Highest Overnight Altitude: 9600ft

3 Countries
22 US States
5 CA Provinces

Farthest South: Florida Keys, FL
Farthest North: Whistler, BC
Farthest East: Long Island, NY
Farthest West: Olympic Penisula, WA

101 Shore SCUBA Dives
100+ Days Snow Skiing

1st Setup: Rancho 9000s, RideRite Airbags.
2nd Setup: Rancho 9000s, Airlift Airbags.
3rd Setup: Rancho 9000XLs, Airlift Airbags/Compressor/3 Gal Tank, SuperSprings.
All three: HappiJack Tie-Downs and Turnbuckles

Favorite Natural Sights: Hard to beat Pacific Coast Northern CA to BC; Sierra Mountains; Zion & Bryce Canyon.

For me, it's all about the mobility. We like to cover a lot of ground.

#42 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (JPZ @ Dec 14 2008, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am on my 3rd TC setup. All Lances.

1. 2000 Lance 815 on a 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500 SRW 4x4. 80K miles on this setup. Custom ordered Lance 815. Nice light-weight setup, added Polar Cub, used with Honda 2000EU. No major repairs ever required.

2. 2001 Lance 920 on a 2003 Dodge Ram Cummins 3500 SRW 4x4. 115K miles on this setup, including one lap around North America. 500+ nights total. Fully Loaded less Solar. Polar Cub Again. No major repairs ever required.

3. 2007 Lance 1181 on a 2008 Chevy Silverado Durmax 3500 DRW 4x4. 2K miles on this setup, 6 nights. Fully Loaded. Norcold Refer currently Error Coding (!).

Hotest: 114F in Las Vegas (920)
Coldest: 5-10F in Salt Lake City (920)
100+ Subfreezing Nights (CA, UT, NV, OR, WA, BC).
Highest Overnight Altitude: 9600ft

3 Countries
22 US States
5 CA Provinces

Farthest South: Florida Keys, FL
Farthest North: Whistler, BC
Farthest East: Long Island, NY
Farthest West: Olympic Penisula, WA

101 Shore SCUBA Dives
100+ Days Snow Skiing

1st Setup: Rancho 9000s, RideRite Airbags.
2nd Setup: Rancho 9000s, Airlift Airbags.
3rd Setup: Rancho 9000XLs, Airlift Airbags/Compressor/3 Gal Tank, SuperSprings.
All three: HappiJack Tie-Downs and Turnbuckles

Favorite Natural Sights: Hard to beat Pacific Coast Northern CA to BC; Sierra Mountains; Zion & Bryce Canyon.

For me, it's all about the mobility. We like to cover a lot of ground.

Now THAT'S an ownership report! Enjoyed reading your TC history.

You are very experienced in traveling with a T.C.. I have questions, not about 'living comforts' but rather about 'traveling'.

From the standpoint of MANUEVERING, DRIVING, CRUISING, STOPPING, PARKING, BACKING, STORING, LOADING, MIRROR USE, etc...do you find the largest 1181 any more of a "handful" or in any way a negative because of its size or weight, or overhang/dimensions?

Would you go back to a slightly smaller or lighter unit, or a non-slide unit, because of any disappointments in this topic? Perhaps you haven't used the 1181 enough as of yet to have that answer.

You've had pretty much 'matched' rigs, ---- i.e. truck-vrs-camper sizes, --- so you are qualified to give comparative answers regarding usability.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Doug

#43 OFFLINE   JPZ

JPZ

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTX
  • Name (Public):JPZeroday

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

For us the increase in camper size was neccessitate by a growing immediate family:

1. The 815 was perfect for 1 person with an occasional second for up to 10 days.

2. The 920 was great for 1 person full timing, and 2 people on longer trips (except the wet bath!). Loved the side couch setup that maximized floor space without a slide. This was a great all-around camper in all categories you mentioned. We took one 5 week trip, wife, two kids, and me. That was cramped. It was a summer trip from San Diego to Vancouver Island and back. We stayed with family and in timeshares for several days--it proved a neccessity.

3. Our family is now 5: Wife, Daughter 13, Son 9, Daughter almost 3, and me. We moved up to the 1181 and the Silverado 3500 (more back seat leg-room than the Dodges), with flip-down bunk to accomodate all of us on longer trips. Still not enough experience to comment. I had considered a Host Everest, too. Find myself wondering if that might have been the better decision.

Driving:

The 815 and 920 both had great drivability. Hiway & Interstate rolling at the speed limit+, no 'white knuckle' incidents from high winds nor passing big rigs. Great fuel mileage with the Dodges (often 17-18mpg).

The 1181 is a different story, so far. We made one trip in very high winds accross the So.CA high desert (30+mph sustained winds, gusts 40-50). Granted, these were the windiest conditions I have ever driven, and it was our second trip with the 1181. Lot's of lateral movement in cross wind gusts and draft shadows of big rigs. It was manageable, but required constant diligence and a top speed of 50 at times. In typical winds the 1181 has handled fine. The center of gravity farther back is definitely noticable. The dually handles it, though. Not as good fuel mileage with the Chevy (9-10), though we still are breaking in and the mileage is increasing. Will know better at 20-30K miles on the engine. Expecting quite a bit less fuel economy than the Dodges+Smaller Lances, ultimately.

Manuverability:

The 815 was agile. It was narrower and did not extend over the rear. Great visibility through rear-view mirrors and rear door portal. All I had to do was keep track of clearance. Very easy to park, anywhere.

The 915 was a bit wider and longer, but still very manueverable. Both the 815 and 915 were reasonably easy to back-in. With the 915 I would tow and back down boat ramps a single PWC trailer (no side mirror visibilty of the trailer!). That was even manageable with the back door open for better visibility and a bit of practice. Had to be more careful pulling out of driveways to avoid side-sway

The 1181 requires more diligence, and the previous experience with the smaller Lances was important in terms of being able to handle this rig. Have to pay much more attention to the wider track of the Dually and the swing-out radius of the rear. Also, I do not have the rear camera yet, so backing is always a two person job. All-in-all, still easier to manuever than a trailer or larger rig.

Stopping:

The 815 stopped on a dime and was very easy on brake pad consumption. When I traded this truck in with 110+ mis I still had orignal rear pads and had only replaced fronts once.

The 920 also was very safe under emergency braking and down steep grades. One set each of front and rear pads over 130K mis.

Surprisingly, the braking performance of the Chevy 3500 w/1181 is also fantastic. Intial stopping is very strong, I do have to mind brake fade under repeated usage more with this rig. It is noticable, while hardly ever so with the Dodges+Smaller Lances.

Loading/Unloading:

Loading/unloading the 815 stunk. I had manual jacks and not even the jacks that disengaged to drop to the ground. What a pain! I kept the camper on the truck most of the time (95%+).

The remote electric jacks on the 920 and 1181 are fantastic! The 2003 Dodge Ram was very difficult to back straight for some reason. That unit was a pain to load straight and centered. The 920 stayed on most of the time. It seemed that the mirrors were hard to track to. With better back-up characteristics, and now the quick release turn-buckles, the Checy+1181 is far the easiest rig to load and unload that I have had. We use the Chevy 3500 as a daily driver. The 1181 is only loaded for trips.

In short, the 1181 is certainly more of a handful than the 815 or 920, but not burdensomely so. The 1181 is the first time we have used SuperSprings and they are great under load. We only inflate our air bags to ~40-50PSI. With my 920, I always ran the Air Bags at 90PSI. I will say this, though, the SuperSprings defintely compromised what was a great unloaded ride with the Chevy 3500.

The slide and dry bath allow all five of us to be inside without much hassel.

I have been very happy with Lance quality. The 920 was flawless. I am dissapointed though, we have had the 1181 for 3mos and we have an error code on the fridge that I haven't been able to invest the time in troubleshooting. Also, a couple of small cabinetry issues: drawer mounts broken.

BTW, the 815 was ordered new from Bonnessa Brothers, Gilroy, CA. Over all grade B-. We had some quality issues with truck and camper mods from their service department. A+ on resellability: got a 75% return when I sold it.

The 920 was purchased used. A+ perfect condition and sold it 3 years later for $500 more than I paid!

The 1181 was a factory remainder that we purchased through Galaxy Camper in Ontario, CA. A+ on price, A- on service (the did drill two extra holes in my bed while mounting the HappiJac system). That issue aside, the Galaxy team is great in terms of knowledge and responsiveness. I would definitely recommend them to others and use them in the future, if needed.

#44 OFFLINE   Catch This

Catch This

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:2003 F250
  • Name (Public):Catch This

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

2006 Lance 845 on a 2003 F250.

This is my first camper. 90% of the time it will be just me and the dog.
I looked long and hard for a camper for a short bed truck. I havent put airbags on the truck yet, but need to and will do so in the next couple of month.

#45 OFFLINE   Muley

Muley

Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AZ
  • Interests:Back road exploring, both 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive.
  • Name (Public):Neal

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

We have an '04 Lance 981 on an '05 Dodge 1-ton. Prior to this we had a Lance 835 and before that a 4-Wheel pop-up.

Muley
Muley
'04 Lance 981
'05 Dodge Laramie CTD Dually
4 x 4, 6-speed manual
'04 Tacoma TRD 4x4

#46 OFFLINE   clydegator

clydegator

Poster

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Camper Brand:lance
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge 250

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:57 AM

started in a low top chey converson van for a couple of years.
next had chevyvan horizon camper van about 2 years
then a palomino bronco popup truck camper on a short bed 4x4 1996 dodge 1/2 ton truck, then had a 1993 dodge 250 with cummins turbo diesel (I sure do miss that truck)
next bought a 2007 lance 9SC love this camper hope to keep for a long time. Had to get a heavy duty truck camper presently rides on the back of a 1994 dodge 1 ton dually with the cummins turbo diesel

#47 OFFLINE   Doubleaction

Doubleaction

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 AM
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

Lance 2000 835 with polar cub a/c, remote electric jacks. Bought used from a Lance dealer.

2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0 long bed.

This is our first truck camper(love it), and have many trips planned for this summer.

Only negative, is loading it on the truck. Taking it off is a breeze.

#48 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (Doubleaction @ May 19 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lance 2000 835 with polar cub a/c, remote electric jacks. Bought used from a Lance dealer.

This is our first truck camper(love it), and have many trips planned for this summer.

About loading your camper; Do some searching on this NATCOA site for 'loading' and you'll find we've addressed this problem time and time again. Various owners have devised laser pointers, tape marks on the windows, and other alignment tools that all make loading it straight-on and in one try. I use weighted fishing bobbers dangling from under the overhang of the camper as an alignment tool. You might be able to adapt something to your own liking.

Dougie

#49 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (atchafalaya_man @ May 16 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About loading your camper; Do some searching on this NATCOA site for 'loading' and you'll find we've addressed this problem time and time again. Various owners have devised laser pointers, tape marks on the windows, and other alignment tools that all make loading it straight-on and in one try. I use weighted fishing bobbers dangling from under the overhang of the camper as an alignment tool. You might be able to adapt something to your own liking.

Dougie

Or just keep doing it and don't get too lazy. I never really thought it was that big a deal (especially with the smaller campers) but my speed and efficiency keep getting better and better. Loading will never be quite as fast as removal - but eventually it shouldn't be much different.

2006 Lance 1191 - loaded, on 2005 Chevy Kodiak/4500 4WD. Average GVW 18,250 pounds not counting trailer.

#50 OFFLINE   DoneItAll

DoneItAll

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 59 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Maryland
  • Camper Brand:2008 Lance 1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Ford F450

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

This is my second Lance camper. Pretty new - just updated my signature.

John
John & Harriet on the Eastern Shore of Maryland

2008 F-450
2008 Lance 1191

#51 OFFLINE   Padres_Fan

Padres_Fan

Poster

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance 835
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins
  • Name (Public):Christopher

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

We have a very similar setup 2000 Lance 835, but ours is on a Cummins powered Dodge 2500 long bed. We don't have the electric jacks, but that upgrade is probably in the near future. First the Rancho shock upgrade. This is, also, our first truck camper after many years in a 1977 VW Westfalia(What's this heat and airconditioning thing??).

With our plastic bed liner we literally have 1/4" on either side to slip the camper in. The plastic liner is a cheap one the dealer threw in and it eats up alot of space. I will probably get a spray in liner in the near future. The previous owner had a 5th wheel so there is a big(aprox 4" diam) hole in the middle of the bed. I haven't checked with any body shops, but has anyone had that repaired or know of someone who has??

-Chris

QUOTE (Doubleaction @ May 19 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#52 OFFLINE   Halibutman

Halibutman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance 830
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

My first camper.
2009 Lance 9.0' 830 with side door and fold out tent sleeper that is full of leaks. Verdict is still out if there will ever be a second Lance.

#53 OFFLINE   Kyle Kai

Kyle Kai

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance 825
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F250 V10 crew cab 4x4
  • Name (Public):Kyle

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Halibutman @ May 21 2009, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My first camper.
2009 Lance 9.0' 830 with side door and fold out tent sleeper that is full of leaks. Verdict is still out if there will ever be a second Lance.

Sorry to hear that. One month ago I purchased a new 2008 Lance 825. While at the dealership picking up the camper, I spent at least an hour going over every inch, finding any problems. I found about 5, and the dealer fixed every one on the spot. They assured me that if there were any other problems, bring it back, or take it to any Lance dealer, or if Lance approves, any RV dealer for warranty work. My suggestion is don't let a leaky tent sleeper (or any other camper problems) get you down. Instead get Lance to fix it ASAP.

#54 OFFLINE   btggraphix

btggraphix

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance/1191
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevy Kodiak (4500) GVW 18,250.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (Kyle Kai @ May 18 2009, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to hear that. One month ago I purchased a new 2008 Lance 825. While at the dealership picking up the camper, I spent at least an hour going over every inch, finding any problems. I found about 5, and the dealer fixed every one on the spot. They assured me that if there were any other problems, bring it back, or take it to any Lance dealer, or if Lance approves, any RV dealer for warranty work. My suggestion is don't let a leaky tent sleeper (or any other camper problems) get you down. Instead get Lance to fix it ASAP.

Agreed - don't wait around....get it figured out ASAP and all will be well. Let it go for very long (depending on your climate) and you'll have long-term problems.

#55 OFFLINE   Doubleaction

Doubleaction

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 AM
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

Is this your first camper? Yes
What year and size? 2000 835
If not what did you have before?

#56 OFFLINE   Kyle Kai

Kyle Kai

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance 825
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F250 V10 crew cab 4x4
  • Name (Public):Kyle

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

A followup on my previous reply to you. I've had my 2008 Lance 825 for 2 months now. During our last trip (for 2 weeks), we noticed the shower wall delaminating. I asked Lance, and they said to bring it to their factory in Lancaster, CA so they could replace the wall. Not sure where you live, but I live in San Diego. A bit far from Lancaster, but worth the drive. While at Lance, I found about 5 other warranty items I'm having them fix. They were very helpful, and will need the camper for about 2 weeks. When I pick it up there should be nothing wrong with it. You might want to consider the same thing if you're not too far from Lancaster.
-Bill

My first camper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In