Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 08:58 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario
  • Camper Brand:Artic fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2001

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:15 PM

So, my tires in front had begun wearing markedly to the inside. I found a loose tie rod end on the driver's side. I ordered a driver's side replacement, only to find out it was reverse thread and wouldn't fit... after a little pondering, I think someone has had the entire tie rod out before, and re-installed it backwards... although I digress. 

So, after re-installing the old tie rod, I decided to do adjust the toe. The procedure that popped into my head actually worked extremely well, and so I thought I would share. 

I parked my truck about 60' away from the school bus at mom and dad's house. I aimed the truck at the side of the bus, and as perpendicular to it as I could. I placed a 4' long 2" x 10" across one of the front tires, parallel to the ground, and then held my 18" laser level flush with the board. I was able to pinpoint a fine laser dot on the bus 60' away and have a friend mark the location with a sharpie. I did the same for the other side. The distance at the front tires of the truck between the laser beam was 84 1/4". The distance between the laser dots on the side of the bus was 124" !!!!!! clear.png No wonder the tires had been wearing! The toe was off 40" at 60'. Within 2 iterations, I was able to get the toe within 1" at 60'. 

This process, while requiring two people, was extremely quick, and I bet more accurate than having it done at the quicky tire and alignment shop. When I get the replacement tie rod in, I think I'll go the side parking lot of the grocery store parking lot and do the same thing at 100' distance or so... and maybe get a few pictures to help my poor worded explanation clear.png

#2 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 03:58 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tennessee
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 13 November 2018 - 04:42 AM

Tires are to expensive not to have it done accurately on a high end alignment machine.

#3 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 150 posts
  • Local time: 03:58 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:00 PM

I decided to do adjust the toe. The procedure that popped into my head actually worked extremely well, and so I thought I would share. 

I parked my truck about 60' away from the school bus at mom and dad's house. I aimed the truck at the side of the bus, and as perpendicular to it as I could. I placed a 4' long 2" x 10" across one of the front tires, parallel to the ground, and then held my 18" laser level flush with the board. I was able to pinpoint a fine laser dot on the bus 60' away and have a friend mark the location with a sharpie. I did the same for the other side. The distance at the front tires of the truck between the laser beam was 84 1/4". The distance between the laser dots on the side of the bus was 124" !!!!!! clear.png No wonder the tires had been wearing! The toe was off 40" at 60'. Within 2 iterations, I was able to get the toe within 1" at 60'. 

This process, while requiring two people, was extremely quick, and I bet more accurate than having it done at the quicky tire and alignment shop. When I get the replacement tie rod in, I think I'll go the side parking lot of the grocery store parking lot and do the same thing at 100' distance or so... and maybe get a few pictures to help my poor worded explanation clear.png

Pretty clever Mike. :)

I have used a broomstick, two rubber bands, and a wooden ruler before but I like your 'high tech' method better. 

Red-neck engineering at it finest!

-Jake-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#4 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1958 posts
  • Local time: 02:58 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

i just mesure from one tire to the other front side then back side and make a fast setting then take to be aligned

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In