Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Shopping for my most hated thing - Insurance.

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Local time: 02:00 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:40 AM

We've decided to shop our home and vehicle insurance.  Our camper is included in our home policy.

If there is anyone out there that has had claims on their TC, I would sincerely appreciate their story on how their particular insurance company deal with it.  As we all know, once you are in the position of having to make a claim is when you really get to know if the company you've been sending money to all those previous years is actually going to help you.

And by then, it's too late.

Also, I notice that there are companies out there that only insure RVs.  Is there any advantage of using those, instead of just part of your home insurance?

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 04:00 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Upstate New York
  • Interests:Firearms. Photography. History. Science Fiction. Military History.
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ford F250

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:11 AM

If I understand the legalities correctly, your truck camper is covered by your truck policy while it's on the truck, and by your homeowners's policy while off the truck, in your yard or driveway.  Is it ever off the truck anywhere else?  Do you sometimes unload it and leave it at a campground while you take the truck somewhere else?

Some other things to consider are Personal Effects Coverage and Vacation Liability Coverage.  As well as an 'Umbrella Insurance'.

This website has an excellent article on RV insurance, the many types, and I suggest you take a few minutes to read and think about it.

https://www.rv-dream...-coverages.html

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple! Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like To Make Advanced Plans.  It Causes the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

#3 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tennessee
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:28 AM

I have been using an agent called Miller Insurance for years. Very helpful and they know RV's and the needed coverage.

http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/

#4 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:08 PM

State Farm and I have a good agent.

I asked about camper coverage when off the truck and set up at a campground - is it covered if a tree branch falls on it, is it covered if someone runs into it - yes and yes.

It's covered while on the truck and off the truck at home or away.

Claim: Totaled the camper when I  snagged a rear jack and tore the back end off.  First estimate was for $3000 to repair.  Insurance said okay.  I didn't like the $3000 dealer repair 'cause  I knew it was more than that - So I took the camper to a place that does RV and truck repair for many insurance companies and had the camper inspected.  Their inspector found many more problems with the camper frame including stuff that I wasn't aware of.  Estimated cost to repair was $18,000 and didn't include unknown problems that might  be found during the  tear down.

I reported back to the insurance company and told them that I could not accept the first estimate as valid.  Insurance asked me what i wanted to do, take the  $18,000 or pursue the repair?  The depreciated replacement value of the camper was $18,000 and so I took the cash and gave the camper over for salvage.  It was well handled, expedient and to my satisfaction.

#5 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 150 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

Good topic!
As mentioned above; Auto insurance covers it when on the truck and home owners insurance covers it when anyplace on your property.

And as info. . .

I also have an RV "full replacement cost" policy from Progressive which includes...
* Comprehensive & Collision with a $375.00 deductible.
* Vacation liability coverage of $10,000.00
* Personal effect & items coverage: $5000.00
* Emergency expenses coverage: $750.00
* Roadside assistance coverage: Amount unknown.
* Out of country coverage: I'll never need it.
* And $1000.00 for fire department fees: Hope I never need it.

I have no clue what most of that stuff is and doubt I'll ever find out.
I also dont know if theft or flood is covered. 
The policy costs $295 a year. (That's so cheap its almost free!)

Happy camping!
-Jake-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#6 OFFLINE   Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Upstate New York
  • Interests:Firearms. Photography. History. Science Fiction. Military History.
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ford F250

Posted 14 November 2018 - 04:01 AM

On the personal effects and items coverage, it would be good to know about any limitations or per items caps.

If, for example, you have a nice scoped hunting rifle worth $3,000 stolen while you're on a trip, will the policy cover guns?  Is there maybe, say, a $500 per item cap, so they would only allow you $500 for your gun and you'd be out the $2,500 difference?  Will they treat the gun and scope as two different items or one?  Do you carry any expensive camera gear?  Does your wife carry jewelry?

It would be good to understand what is and isn't covered, so you could arrange for any needed supplemental coverage.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple! Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like To Make Advanced Plans.  It Causes the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

#7 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 14 November 2018 - 05:19 AM

On the personal effects and items coverage, it would be good to know about any limitations or per items caps.

If, for example, you have a nice scoped hunting rifle worth $3,000 stolen while you're on a trip, will the policy cover guns?  Is there maybe, say, a $500 per item cap, so they would only allow you $500 for your gun and you'd be out the $2,500 difference?  Will they treat the gun and scope as two different items or one?  Do you carry any expensive camera gear?  Does your wife carry jewelry?

It would be good to understand what is and isn't covered, so you could arrange for any needed supplemental coverage.

Good question.  I don't know the answer.  A good insurance agent could answer the question.

Another point is to understand "full replacement value" for the camper.

Full replacement value for a 2005 Lance 850 model would be the value for a 2005 Lance - Not a brand new Lance 850 model as I understand it.

#8 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 150 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:08 AM

The good thing about insurance is that you can 'buy' as much coverage as you are willing to pay for.
There are Cadillac policies and there are bare-bones policies. Thus if you know what you want the rest is relatively simple.

Also note that there are plenty of internet sites that will allow you to detail & price a policy on-line, thus you'll be in a better position to put together a plan with your own personal insurance agent.

Anyhow...
Unlike home or auto insurance, RV insurance is pleasantly inexpensive. 
As a reference my car insurance is an unpleasant $449 a month on four crap vehicles, and that's with a good driving record.  :(

Welcome to Jersey. facepalm.gif
-Jake-  

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#9 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1958 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:15 PM

The real bottom line is you have to keep on top of them. My last insurance company took almost a year to get the roof replaced on our AF use 2 agents one decide too go on vacation and never came back in the end th

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In