Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

Background: Elderly relatives needed money while simultaneously aging out of using their 2002 F-350, which has less than 50k original miles, and their 1990 Squire by Lance camper on the bed of the truck.

One of us (me) did an 11-week run in a massive motor home/camper more than 25 years ago (work related, I just drove and slept in a bunk over the cab -- others handled the hookups, the tank stuff, etc. I backed us in where we needed to be, and drove, period), the other never camped a day in her life. I spell this out as I am because, humbly speaking, please believe me, we are newbies to this exciting truck camper business to the 10th power. 

Though I don't use it anymore, I have CDL-A, my wife does not. To that end, here are a couple of questions that if you have the time and are able to share insights on, we'd be incredibly thankful. If you are reading this, and don't have the time or information -- we still hope you are off to a good day / evening.  :-) 

1. Is there a specific pre-trip and post-trip checklist that is different than general items: windshield, lights, etc. For example, should the tie downs have play or be as tight as possible?  Tire pressure differentials?  What about vents and windows in the camper -- assuming all need to be shut solid before travel? 

2. To the eye (and tape measure), the camper is over the driver's side by about a foot. Being the truck is so heavy, I don't expect this would do anything to the vehicle's suspension, but is this safe and nothing to worry about, or should I figure out how to off-load and re-center / align it on the Ford's bed? 

2a. I never off / on loaded a camper to a truck, there is no 5th wheel or hookups in a traditional trailer. I know there are plugs in the bed that need to come undone, but I never lowered a camper's landing gear to pull out or line up ... is this easier than I think it is or are there specific things I ought to be mindful of. 

My primary concerns are safety for me and my bride. My margin of risk in or on any vehicle is fairly close to nil. 

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated, and thank you so much for reading this through. 

#2 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tennessee
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:29 AM

You have some valid questions being a "newbie" to the TC scene. What I would suggest is that you join the Lance owners web site. You will find TONS of info there and plenty of people willing to give you honest advice. Here is the link to the site.

www.lanceowners.org/

#3 OFFLINE   RANSMS

RANSMS

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:30 AM

Thank you. I am signing up over there now. 

#4 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:56 AM

Welcome to the group!  That sounds like a sweet setup, and it's always great when you find one of those kind of deals.

I'll take a quick stab at your questions but more a "minimum" of making certain you're safe.

1. Yes, your vents and windows should all be closed, especially the roof vents.  Your tie downs should not be loose, and some brands are spring loaded, and they will tell you how to tighten them on their website. If there are doors inside your camper, they need to be in their locked/closed position.Maybe I've forgotten stuff and the others can chime in.

2. I don't know the answer to 2.  But, it would have to do with weight distribution left to right in the camper.  The idea of getting into the campers users group is great advice.

2a. If you search this website for unloading and loading articles, you will find quite a few historic discussions on this.  The best advice I can give is absolutely don't every do it when you are in a hurry, especially for the first year you are doing this.  One golden rule is keep the back of the camper generally lower than the front, so it doesn't nose dive on you.  I have electric jacks, which gives me the ability to raise/lower all 4 jacks at once.  If you are by yourself, and you can only do one at a time, you'll put a lot of miles around your camper while you lower each one a small amount at a time to lower it, and then move to the next one, and so forth.  The historic articles are also filled with a lot of good discussion on lining up the truck with the camper when you're backing up.  Again, just make certain you take your time.  You're on a learning curve.

Remember, this is supposed to be recreation, and not a job.  The more you take your time, the more you'll enjoy learning.

Cheers!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Newbie, lance, ford

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In