• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Washington
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 CC DRW
  • Name (Public):Jeff

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:10 AM

Back in 2005, with two young kids, my wife and I ordered a new Arctic Fox 990 set up the way we wanted.  It was the first year of the aluminum framing.  At the same time we ordered a new Ford F350 DRW 4x4 crew cab diesel. Ordered it with the camper package and the most heavy duty suspension available.  We used the camper a lot and really enjoyed it.  As the kids grew it became a bit tight and we ended up owning a 32' Class A and a Desert Fox toy hauler.  We really missed the versatile, go anywhere nature of the TC. 

Now it's back to just the wife and I.  We fish a lot, like 5 days a week many weeks, and have a boat we tow.  We decided it was time for a new RV.  We really like the Winnebago View's on the Sprinter chassis.  We decided the limited towing and carrying capacity, lower clearance and lack of 4x4 were potentially serious negatives for us.  I still own the F350 so we decided to look at the new Arctic Fox TC's.  We considered an 865 for a bit of weight savings, but when we went in a new 990 we decided the extra weight of the slide was worth it.  Some nice changes since 2005, but the same overall quality that caused us to buy two Northwood products previously.  We are actively looking and will buy one very soon.  There is a dealer closing out some 2018's.  From what I have been told the changes for 2019 include a 7 cubic foot fridge vs a 6, and the sink is now stainless.  The larger fridge would be nice, but it will probably come down to which one we feel we can get a better deal on.

We ordered our last 990 without a generator or AC.  We wanted to have a smaller AC installed that could be run with a 2000 watt Honda generator, and that's what we did.  It worked great for us.  When we knew we wouldn't need the AC we didn't typically take the generator if we were boondocking.  All of the new ones we have looked at have the generator, and being a bit older than I was, I can see some advantages of not having to go outside and start a generator, especially if it's a short term need like using the microwave or something.  

Sure some cool new TC products since the time we owned our last one. One that really stands out for me is the Stablecamper.  We used to use our TC off the truck quite a bit, especially if we were going to be in one spot for a while.  The Stablecamper looks like a great upgrade for that kind of use.  I also like the variety of solar panels available now.  We had two 100 watt panels on our last 990.  For the new one I am thinking of possibly using something like the Zamp 160 watt portable kit since it has a charge controller and can be placed to maximize exposure to sunlight.  

Excited to be getting another TC and using it a lot. 

#2 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1444 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:33 AM

I started with portable panels to see how well they worked but went with fixed ones now. It was too much hassle to set up, take down and store plus I worried about theft if left unattended when boon docking.

We started with a Arctic Fox 811 and upgraded to a Host Mammoth. Both were purchased from Apache Camping and they have treated us well before, during and after sale.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   drysideshooter

drysideshooter

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

I thought the portable panels would be considerably more hassle.  For $1,100 I can have 160 watt's of solar installed and will probably go that route.  Going to see what kind of deal we can get on a new 2018 990 tomorrow.  The big changes for 2019 were a large single bowl stainless sink and a 7 cubit foot fridge instead of 6 cubic foot.  Will look at both and see if the additonal cost of a 2019 is worth the price.  Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.  Just because it's a model year older, plus the two changes,  I would think I would want to get the 2018 for at least $3,500 less than I could get a 2019 for? Maybe more?

#4 OFFLINE   drysideshooter

drysideshooter

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

Purchased a new 2018 990 today at Thunder RV in La Grande. Great experience.  Will pick it up next Wednesday.  Having them install 170watt Zamp solar, and it will retain the 20watt that is standard, so 190 watts to start.  Going to have them put upper and lower stable loads on my truck while it's there.  

#5 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:CA/OR
  • Interests:Camping and 4x4's
  • Camper Brand:S&S 11SC
  • Truck Make & Model:1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually, Camper Special
  • Name (Public):Chuck & Ruth

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:38 PM

Thunder RV is a good dealer, they seem to be pretty honest every time I've gone there.

1990 F350 S/C Dually Camper Special

1990 S&S 11SC Camper

2011 Ranger S/C XLT

2006 CR-V

#6 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 140 posts
  • Local time: 03:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:53 PM

Purchased a new 2018 990 today at Thunder RV in La Grande. Great experience.  Will pick it up next Wednesday.  Having them install 170watt Zamp solar, and it will retain the 20watt that is standard, so 190 watts to start.  Going to have them put upper and lower stable loads on my truck while it's there.  

Best of luck with that new TC. 

Sounds nice! :)

-Jake-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In