• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Utah
  • Camper Brand:Palomino 2013 Bronco 1250
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-350 diesel
  • Name (Public):Sara

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:02 AM

First time to post- I love reading old posts and learning from you guys!

My husband forgot to lock down the pop up roof on my 2013 Palomino Bronco 1250 before driving to work, and unfortunately, the roof blew off. No one was hurt on the busy interstate, which is the good news. The bad news is he also forgot to get it insured - lesson learned, I will always double check.

So, should we even try to order a new top and get it repaired, or just start over? I’ve talked to Palomino, the lift kit company, and two local dealers, and they all discouraged me from getting it repaired, mainly because of the cost and time involved. I’m emotionally attached to this dang camper - got it practically new for less than half what it was worth, and I’ve had so much fun the last 3 years camping with my two pre teen boys. I am not terribly handy, and my husband isn’t, either, so we would likely contract this out.

Have any of you replaced a roof and been satisfied with the fit and safety? I am super safety conscious because I am often alone in the wilderness with my boys. It will cost around $5k to get a new roof, canvas, wiring, labor, etc., so a lot less than buying a new or used rig. We have a 2006 F350 diesel, so it can handle a new camper, just not sure I can . . .

Thanks in advance for all advice!

#2 OFFLINE   Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Upstate New York
  • Interests:Firearms. Photography. History. Science Fiction. Military History.
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ford F250

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:27 AM

This strikes me as a really hard call.  If you don't fix it, what's left is essentially valueless junk.  You might get a few dollars scrapping out the appliances, but that's about it.

If you're going to fix it, you need to find a really skilled, conscientious craftsman to do it, or else you may be just throwing good money after bad.  I'm not sure how you would go about finding such a craftsman.  I wouldn't necessarily expect that working at a dealership would guarantee that level of skill.

I'm not sure where the Palomino factory is in relation to you.  There's no possibility that the factory could do the work?  Is that because they have no repair department and don't offer that service, because they don't think one of their campers with that degree of damage can be fixed, or just that they are hoping you will buy a new Palomino?

If you do decide to have a local craftsman fix it, will the factory even sell you the replacement parts?

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple! Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like To Make Advanced Plans.  It Causes the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

#3 OFFLINE   sjp3443

sjp3443

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Utah
  • Camper Brand:Palomino 2013 Bronco 1250
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-350 diesel
  • Name (Public):Sara

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

John -

Thanks for the reply. The factory is in Michigan, a 23 hour drive from our home in Utah, but I’m totally willing to go there for a repair. I talked to the Palomino guys, and they are willing to do the work, with a 90 day warranty. They don’t know about the lift system, though - Palomino doesn’t own it, the original system is no longer made but there is a company that has some leftover parts and will supply them, if they have them. I can’t get a reply from them since I sent pics of what the lift system looks like- looks intact to me, but I’m no expert! The highway patrol threw away the top before I could get a look at it so I don’t know what from the lift system was still attached. I hate to drive all the way there, with a rigged waterproof top for the camper, just to be told it can’t be done once they get a good look. I’m just heartsick over the whole thing, wish I knew what to do! Thanks so much for the input!

Sara

#4 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 PM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:10 PM

Even the roof latches' mounting screws holes get weak with age.  My BIL's were ready to pull out and he was told to replace the screws with bolts, fender washers, and nuts before the roof tore loose.  That got him a few more years use from his pop up.

#5 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tennessee
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:20 AM

If you can swing the cost I would take the 5K and put it towards another camper. You just don't know what you will end up with repairing the damaged one when you are all done and by that time it will be to late to do something else. 

#6 OFFLINE   joerg68

joerg68

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 93 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Saarland
  • Interests:Truck Campers ;-)
  • Camper Brand:2017 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB
  • Name (Public):Joerg

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:29 AM

Many years ago, I helped a friend with his project to replace the roof on his 1980-something Palomino. It is not rocket science. With the right tools and some help, it is a DIY job to take off the roof and put a new one on.

If you can get the parts for the lift, go for the repair. After all, you will have an all new roof afterwards, and you will have your beloved camper back.

Of course, if the additional investment for an all new one is in your budget, that is always an option as well.

2014 F350 SCLB 6.2 + 2017 Northstar Arrow

#7 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1958 posts
  • Local time: 08:09 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

I agree scrape the Palomino safe the good things. Idea just flip it over and use it as a shed may have to make a box to set it on so you can walk in and put a roof over it. Save thing like ref, stove, etc. Their are some good used campers out their. Or new under 20k even near 15k very used 5k. It never be the same after its repaired I know our AF wasn't its self after the wreck with the awning.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In