• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:Looking
  • Truck Make & Model:Looking

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:12 PM

Just in the process of buying a TC and pick up questions are

1. Is it safe to put a short bed TC into a long bed truck? If so do I have to make any mods?
2. Do all TC and pickups have same tie down points,?

#2 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

Just in the process of buying a TC and pick up questions are

1. Is it safe to put a short bed TC into a long bed truck? If so do I have to make any mods?
2. Do all TC and pickups have same tie down points,?

1.) If there is no dropped tail section to the shortbed camper I would just slide the entire unit forward as far as possible toward the front of the truck.
However, if the short bed camper has a tail section (as in the photo below) then you could only slide the camper forward until the tail lights of the truck contact the dropped tail section of the camper, which in my opinion would NOT be an acceptable way to transport the camper. 

tiedowns-0002.jpg

2.) I'm rather new at this so I can only speak from about 3 or 4 years experience but in short the answer to your question is YES, kind of.
When it comes to modern long-bed trucks & campers the tie-down points are all predictably close. 
With short-bed campers and trucks things can vary quite a bit but are always within a reasonable reach.
In your case (a short bed camper on a long bed truck) would create an interesting challenge  :cartwheel: but I'm sure its been done many times before.   

There are also camper tie-down point re-locators you can buy, or you can install a second set of tiedown loop brackets on the underside of the camper yourself.
See the link I have posted below...

Tiedown points that are greatly offset from each-other are not usually a problem since tiedown chains are very flexible/adaptable.
If you had to make a long reach at a steep angle (from camper to truck) you could just use longer chains at a steeper angle.
(see picture below)

camper_Tie.jpg

There is no substitute for good balanced camper-to-truck fitment but center of gravity and tiedown point locations are quite flexible.

BTW; What truck and what camper are you trying to match???

Thanks!
-Ej-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#3 OFFLINE   DaretobeDifferent

DaretobeDifferent

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:Looking
  • Truck Make & Model:Looking

Posted 03 July 2018 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply, I’m currently in the research stage so I am just looking at all different options, Leaning towards a 4 season TC but can’t decide F350 or Ram 3500

#4 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:10 AM

You need to pay attention to the COG (center of gravity) for sure. If its older it most likey will not have the sticker mark though. I have a camper that is made for short or long bed. I have a long bed truck. I am able to set my camper up so that I have a storage area between the camper and the front of the bed. My COG is still right at the center of the rear hub. 

You just do not want to put the COG behind the rear hub. 

You can check out pictures of my set up via my blog. 

https://thetclife.com/

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#5 OFFLINE   fredandjoann

fredandjoann

Poster

• NATCOA Members
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Missouri
  • Camper Brand:2017 Host Rainier SB
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ford F450 Lariat 6.7 PSD CC 4X4
  • Name (Public):Fred

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:11 AM

I carry a short bed camper on a long bed truck also.  As tc life has said it provides for some extra storage capacity at the front of the bed.  I did build a frame to keep the camper from trying to slide forward and crush my taillights.  I believe that the difference between long bed and short bed trucks is in the wheelbase so the CG shouldn't be a problem.  I had to add some chain links to the front hold downs because of the extra length.

#6 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply, I’m currently in the research stage so I am just looking at all different options, Leaning towards a 4 season TC but can’t decide F350 or Ram 3500

Some thoughts on this. . .

1.) If you dont have the camper or the truck yet then you can buy the truck you want and then buy the camper that best fits it. Yes/No?

2.) Which truck to buy. . .
My last truck was an F250 and it served me well but this time around I went with a RAM. 
I really wanted a new F350 but when Ford went to all aluminum (and the ongoing Powerstoke issues)... well... I bought a RAM/Cummins/AISIN 3500.
I've put 14,000 miles on the RAM so far with not a single issue.
The new GM, Ford, and FCA trucks are all pretty amazing though. Good luck with your pick!

3.) Camper picks. . .
I have a Northstar http://www.northstar...pers-8-5-arrowu and https://truckcamperw...m/inventory/new which are by far the most durable 4 season units I have ever been in.
The Northstar interior's are a bit spartan, they only come in non-slide, and they do run kinda' heavy but they are built like a tank and are absolutely impervious to winter weather. I think of the Northstar equipment as the alter ego of the luxurious Lance units I have been in.

Picking out your perfect truck and camper combo is indeed a difficult task. It took me about 2 years to end up with a Northstar on a RAM, which is funny since I originally set out to buy a NorthernLite on a Ford. 
<as shown below> 

3495346bb01fc1582d225c6bb6115fc0_lg.jpg

Happy shopping and please keep us posted!
Regards,
-Ej-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In