Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 02:27 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Camper Brand:2019 Host Mammoth
  • Truck Make & Model:2018 Ford F350 King Ranch

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

I am a long time RV'er. I have owned van conversions to 45 foot diesel pushers. I have owned a dozen or so slide in campers with many different truck configurations carrying them.

I decided to go back to a truck camper because of the room and comfort provided in the Host Mammoth design. This is an extremely well thought out camper. It is very conducive to providing all the comfort I am used to in a larger motorhome when I spend extended time traveling. Yet the compact package (compared to a large class A towing a car) is very nice in that it allow snap decisions on pulling into places without the need to plan well ahead for entry and exit strategy as well as where to park. The other benefit is I can usually fit in to any campground space.

I decided on the F350 mainly because it is the only company that actually tests for Truck campers and it offers by far and away the most and best technology in this class of truck. I am very aware of the GVW issues this camper and truck combination sets forth. I dont want to open that debate. Personally I have many many miles worth of experience with campers and over GVW trucks. I am very comfortable in the individual components ratings and ability to carry this heavier load with the one exception being tires. I would never want to run overloaded tires. I do not tow but if I did tow anything with tongue weight I would not do it with this camper on the truck. The Truck is a loaded up King Ranch crew cab 4x4 6.7 engine. Its as heavy as you can build it. The Camper is also the heaviest you can build it. My Mammoth has a dry weight of 4900lbs. I have the heaviest most optioned up Mammoth that they have built. The truck full of fuel with DW and myself in it as well as a fully loaded camper including full propane and water tank scaled out at 15,500lbs. This represents the heaviest configuration possible. I could lighten that up by 800 lbs or so real easy.

I added Torklift uppers and I installed Firestone Airbags with the in Cab controls. Experience with all the different combinations available have led me to these two as the ideal setup for a Ford Truck. Another advantage of the Ford truck is it allows the Airbags to mount outboard of the frame rails where the Chevy and Dodge must mount inboard and that makes a huge difference in the stability provided by the air bags. These two trucks would require the addition of a Hellwig stabilizer bar. 

My 2019 Host has every option on the list plus 3 solar panels, Winegard Trav'ler, 4 lifeline agm 6 volt batteries, 2nd inverter/charger- Magnum with Battery monitor, See Level tank gauges, the TV's where changed out to a 40 and 32 inch in bed area. I also had custom graphic colors to match the truck.    

I purchased the camper from Tom's Camperland in Mesa AZ. I dealt with Brad the owner. I must say He is the most genuine and helpful person I have ever done business with. I drove from Seattle to Mesa in order to do business with him. Brad was very focused and easily accommodated all my requests add on's. He did everything he said he would without having to hound him about a single item or detail. These guys are terrific and I would not think of buying from anyone else. It also doesn't hurt that he is the largest selling dealer for Host.

I have just completed a 1 month 2200 mile, 1 month trip in my new Host Mammoth and my New Ford F350 King Ranch. I drove from Phoenix to the LA coast and drove hwy 1 and 101 all the way to Washington state. The biggest issue I had was the factory had put a screw through my Winegard Trav'ler coax where it penetrated the roof. This was an easy fix. There were a few other minor tweaks but nothing worth talking about.

I spent most of the time in State campgrounds without any hook ups. The 3 Solar panels performed very well. They kept up with my batteries charge most days. I use an above normal amount of amps. I keep the inverter on all day and night and it has an idle draw of about 2 amps/hr or 48 amp/hrs per day. My TV and Satellite antenna as well as my Direct TV box draw a good bit of amps each day as well. I also run a CPAP machine all night long.

I wanted the 2 bed outlets wired into the inverter by the Factory but Randall refused to do it. When I visited the Factory I studied the wiring methods used so I would know how to modify things to my desires. All the outlets are feed by one breaker. They wire the left side outlets including the basement where the inverter charger is plugged into, with a single daisy chained wire. Another single daisy chained wire is used for the right side including the refrigerator outlet. A third wire is used to power the outlets by the bed. All three wires are brought to a junction box located behind the power panel. These wires are all tied together with wire nuts and and then feed from the breaker box. I simply isolated the wire the runs to the bed outlets and tied it to a new wire I ran from the junction box to the basement and into the inverter 120v outlet side. One of the advantages of using the Magnum inverter/charger is that it will automatically internally switch and pass shore power through and shut down the inverter when it senses shore power. The factory inverter does not do this. It is always running off your batteries. The factory Charger will not program for AGM batteries so it had to be replaced with a programmable Charger any way.

The one huge concern I had was how we were going to fit out STUFF into a camper after being in a 45 motorhome. We packed everything up in boxes and containers that we thought we needed as a minimum. It filled up the entire back of the truck under the tonneau cover. Plus we had stuff in the back seat area as well. I just knew we would never fit all this in when we got down to Mesa. Not only did all fit but we had empty space in most all cabinets including the basement pull out. We were amazed by the amount storage space this camper really gives you.

The Truck handled the camper better than any I have ever had. I really put it to the challenge. If any of you have run the 1 up the California coast you know how mountainous and curvy it really is. The truck carried this camper with hardly any rocking and it handled the curves with ease. What I did not expect was how terribly rough and uneven parts of the road where. There were some spots so bad that it would launch vehicles ahead of me into a bad porpoising. If I were planning to run roads like that again I would change by shocks and put a set of Bilsteins on the truck. The stock shocks are a bit outmatched for that rough of a road.

Another surprise I had was with the stability while on jacks. I have owned several Lance campers and I always had to drop the floor down on blocks stacked on the ground in order to minimize the wobble.  The Host was stable while on jacks even if it was elevated some. I have never had a truck camper that was that stable while on jacks alone. Overall I could not be more pleased with my purchase of the Host. It has meet all my expectations and then some. Host.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 112 posts
  • Local time: 09:27 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):Jake

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

TLM,

That was outstanding!

Thank you for taking the time to compile that review.

If time permits please post a few more pictures inside/outside.

Good color choice too.  :fing32:

Best regards,

-Ej-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#3 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Local time: 06:27 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Enjoy your new Host. Your description of truck capability matches what I have written. What was your reason for not going with the F450 pickup?

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   TLM

TLM

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Camper Brand:2019 Host Mammoth
  • Truck Make & Model:2018 Ford F350 King Ranch

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

The F450 has a lower carrying capacity than the F350. It will tow a good bit more but it cannot carry as much as the F350. I found that to be a very interesting anomaly that is overlooked.

#5 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1432 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

The F450 has heavier components than the F350 making it a heavier truck when empty. Ford chose to keep it in Class 3 category which limits the GVWR to 14k lbs (like the F350). On paper the F450 looks like it has less payload capacity, but the larger axles and 19.5” wheels actually allow it to safely carry more.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   phillippeterson

phillippeterson

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State/Province or Region:tx
  • Camper Brand:Host
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F450
  • Name (Public):Phil

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:53 PM

Hi TLM,  Is your F350 diesel?

#7 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 469 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

The F-450 has a tighter turning radius then the F-350 too.   Love my 2017 F-450 King Ranch.  

Just had a 30K lb Torklift Superhitch and camper tiedowns put on last Friday adding to the 5th wheel/goose neck bed hitch and I'm finally starting to have a working truck, not just a very nice truck to putt around in.  Truck tow's our 40' heavily loaded 5th wheel effortlessly and love the engine exhaust brake for descending grades.  Went up 7% Lewiston grade a couple weeks ago at 60 mph, no problem and came down it and never touched the brakes on the decent.  

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#8 OFFLINE   phillippeterson

phillippeterson

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State/Province or Region:tx
  • Camper Brand:Host
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F450
  • Name (Public):Phil

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:05 PM

The F450 has a lower carrying capacity than the F350. It will tow a good bit more but it cannot carry as much as the F350. I found that to be a very interesting anomaly that is overlooked.

The higher payload of an F350 vs the F450 is not so anomalous if you do your homework.  The brochure says the F350 carries about 1200 pounds more, but that's not really true.  

Reply to this post if you want the details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In