Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Host Everest Oven, Rear Sofa, Overhead Windows, Black Water Tank, "Host Camper Suck" Forum

Everest Questions

4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   popeye

popeye

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:OR
  • Camper Brand:Lance / Host
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Dodge Dually 3500
  • Name (Public):Popeye

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

We have owned a Large 2001 Lance 1130, for 10 years. Its the big one, but we are ready to upgrade to a Host Everest, for the 3 slides.

Ned to sell it / trade it in.

Some questions for Host officianados: What is the Everest sound system like ? What year did they move black water tank out of slideout ?  How long is rear sofa bed?  Can I get a 2012-2015 year model with a propane oven? Are their options for windows in big upper 'bedroom'  overhang(seems like 1 or no windows ? Is my 2012 Dodge 3500 Laramie  Dually, sufficient ?   Should I put any creedance in the forum entitled ..."Host Campers Suck"?

Any feedback appreciated

#2 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1411 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

I have the Mammoth which is similar to the Everest. I have owned mine for eleven months and traveled about 10,000 miles during that time.

My Host has a double DIN Jensen with three sound zones and video output via composite to the bedroom and HDMI to the living room. Sound can be played from a USB or Bluetooth external source. The head unit can be controlled directly, via IR remote or via Bluetooth app on Android or Apple devices. They have just switched to single DIN model, but I have not seen it other than in pictures.

I'm not sure what year they started putting the black tank in the slide, but it is across their model line and works well since at least 2006. It is more inconvenient to have to dump two tanks with separate ports, but the black tank does have a fresh flush if you just need to dump this one.

The Hosts are 8' wide and the Everest uses a full rear wall slide. I would guess the couch is about 7.5'. My Mammoth has a smaller rear slide with a loveseat about 2/3 of that size.

A propane oven is an option if do your own build, but few choose this option and you will not find many used ones configured this way.

The bedroom cab over has a number options allowing a full wall passenger side wardrobe and either king or queen sized residential mattresses. If you do not have the full wardrobe, you will have a sliding window on each side.

A dry Everest will weigh in over 4500 lbs when typically optioned. Once you fill the 60+ gallon fresh tank and fill up all the storage, you can easily be around 6000 lbs. A 3500 DRW is the minimum you need for this camper. if you plan on towing anything with tongue weight or carrying additional items on a hitch extension, you will be over taxing your rear axle.

I have seen this blog from this one disgruntled Host owners, but have not seen any support or encouragement from other owners. I found most are very happy with their purchase and some have bought more than one Host model over the years.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   fredandjoann

fredandjoann

Poster

• NATCOA Members
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 04:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Missouri
  • Camper Brand:2017 Host Rainier SB
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ford F450 Lariat 6.7 PSD CC 4X4
  • Name (Public):Fred

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:10 AM

I have had our Host Rainier for about a year and a half with around 9000 miles and am totally happy with this camper.

#4 OFFLINE   Jillneddie

Jillneddie

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Local time: 04:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Ms
  • Interests:Fishing,hunting, camping, travel,grand kids
  • Camper Brand:2014 artic fox 992
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 3500 cc longbed, diesel srw, 4&&4
  • Name (Public):Eddie

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:47 AM

Love our Cascade had since Thanksgiving. Great quality camper. Everyone that I talk to that has a Host is more than satisfied. Eddie

#5 OFFLINE   Skyhammer

Skyhammer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Skyhammer

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

I have the Mammoth which is similar to the Everest. I have owned mine for eleven months and traveled about 10,000 miles during that time.

My Host has a double DIN Jensen with three sound zones and video output via composite to the bedroom and HDMI to the living room. Sound can be played from a USB or Bluetooth external source. The head unit can be controlled directly, via IR remote or via Bluetooth app on Android or Apple devices. They have just switched to single DIN model, but I have not seen it other than in pictures.

I'm not sure what year they started putting the black tank in the slide, but it is across their model line and works well since at least 2006. It is more inconvenient to have to dump two tanks with separate ports, but the black tank does have a fresh flush if you just need to dump this one.

The Hosts are 8' wide and the Everest uses a full rear wall slide. I would guess the couch is about 7.5'. My Mammoth has a smaller rear slide with a loveseat about 2/3 of that size.

A propane oven is an option if do your own build, but few choose this option and you will not find many used ones configured this way.

The bedroom cab over has a number options allowing a full wall passenger side wardrobe and either king or queen sized residential mattresses. If you do not have the full wardrobe, you will have a sliding window on each side.

A dry Everest will weigh in over 4500 lbs when typically optioned. Once you fill the 60+ gallon fresh tank and fill up all the storage, you can easily be around 6000 lbs. A 3500 DRW is the minimum you need for this camper. if you plan on towing anything with tongue weight or carrying additional items on a hitch extension, you will be over taxing your rear axle.

I have seen this blog from this one disgruntled Host owners, but have not seen any support or encouragement from other owners. I found most are very happy with their purchase and some have bought more than one Host model over the years.

I have a 2012 Everest. I have never used the stereo, so can't help.None of my tanks are in the slides, I don't think Host put the black tank into the side until after the 2014 model.The couch in the rear slide is 70" long.I have the oven and use it often.
I have an East-West bed. The closet (in the front of the cab over), is a little over 7' long, 32" high and 20" wide. I don't own enough clothes to come close to filling it. I have two windows, one at the foot and one at the head of the bed, plus a skylight.
My camper, empty, including the Onan weighs 4318lbs. The Dana 80 axle in the Ford is rated at 11,000lbs. Ford rates the axle at 9,000lbs in my 2011. The rating is lower because of other components, brakes tires etc.
New Fords have a rear axle rating that is higher because of increased GVW, larger brakes, beefier frame, etc.
I weigh my camper each trip. The most it has weighed is 4750 lbs front axle, 9700 lbs rear axle. This is with 35 gallons of water, Front hitch carrier with 400lbs, 4250lbs jet boat and full basement and every drawer and fridge full.My weight can vary by more than 1000lbs, depending upon where I am going and what I am doing.The most my total weight has been is 18,700lbs, truck, camper, boat.
The "Host sucks" web page is rather old. Host has a file that they will show you if you ask. The person who put up the page was pissed because Host would not fix his camper under warranty after he smacked the cab over against something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In