Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 02:42 PM
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:2013 Lance 865
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 2500 SilveradoHD

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Is it necessary to "winterize" my camper for one night of freezing temps? Im out camping and the temps are to get low 30's to high 20's (southern oregon). Everything I read consists of draining the pipes, water heater and RV anti-freeze. Seems like I can get away with just draining the lines and heating everything back up in the morning. Live in Northern Cali so dont have to winterize and have never done so before.

Thanks.  

#2 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 66 posts
  • Local time: 10:42 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):-Ej-

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Is it necessary to "winterize" my camper for one night of freezing temps? Im out camping and the temps are to get low 30's to high 20's (southern oregon). Everything I read consists of draining the pipes, water heater and RV anti-freeze. Seems like I can get away with just draining the lines and heating everything back up in the morning. Live in Northern Cali so dont have to winterize and have never done so before.

Thanks.  

A famous line from Clint Eastwood; "Do ya' feel lucky?   B)

But on a more serious note...
Since you probably dont have any RV antifreeze on hand and it's only one night I would say your best option is to pull the anode rod out of the water heater, open all water valves, and of course your 'low-point' drain.
I guess you could blow the system dry with some compressed air if its handy.

Seems to me that if it's only one night, why dont you simply keep the camper heated?

BTW; the black water & grey water tanks will be emptied too?
Regards,
-Ej-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#3 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

I'm in Canada.  It's probably -20 F here today...

According to someone I talked to at Northern Lite, he said that he had never seen one of their grey or black tanks fail due to freezing or incorrect winterizing.  But, in some cases, they are built in places where they could never be removed or repaired.  At the very least, fixing them would be a Royal PITA.

If your hot water tank is cylindrical, and it is mounted on it's side, and it's only half full, or less, it will not be damaged by freezing, since as it expands, the ice simply expands, and works its way up the sides, but hot water tanks that are full I have seen freeze, and it's not a pretty picture.  This item is probably your number one issue.  It's metal.  Not much give there.

The other issue is that if you are higher up in altitude, the freeze will start earlier in the temperature drop cycle.

If you are sleeping in the camper with the heater on at night, and the camper has a basement, you'll probably be fine.  But if you're at a high altitude and the temperature drops to 25 or less, and stays there for any appreciable amount of time, you might be in trouble.  If the hot water tank is more than half full, or mounted up and down (like a beer can on a counter), it will burst.  If it is less than half full and oriented like a beer can rolling off the table, you will be okay.  Second priority problem is the plastic plumbing.  It may have some "give", but in colder temps it will be more brittle.  The P traps don't have any give at all.  The black and grey tanks that I have in my camper are probably the most resistant plumbing component to freezing I have in my rig, but if they were ever to be damaged, I'd be in serious repair mode.

Where you are parked will also have some bearing on how quickly things will freeze.  If your rig is sheltered by trees, buildings, or what not, and if the wind can't get at it to cool it down even faster, that will also make a difference.

In reading this again, I'm not certain I'm being much help.  Hard to say without being there.

#4 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1403 posts
  • Local time: 07:42 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:53 AM

We just finished a three night trip with temperatures in the low 20’s at night and just above freezing during the day. Our first night was dry camping and the furnance had no problem keeping our triple slide warm. We filled our fresh tank and didn’t dump until we left the campground even though we had full hookups. Those that did not, woke up to frozen city water and dump lines. We used a combination of electric heat from the fireplace and gas heat from the furnace to keep the interior and storage areas warm. If we are on electric with low 30’s, we don’t even use the propane furnace. In sub 30 weather we run our furnance at 50 degrees while driving to avoid freezing.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

I spend as much as 16 days (deer season) in ND November at temps colder than what you're expecting. If it's forecast to be below 0, I sometimes open cupboard doors to help heat the water lines running along outside walls. My electric space heater (set so the ducted furnace still runs occassioally) and the furnace handle everything. If the water heater cools, the flame autostarts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In