15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dorado

Dorado

Poster

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 04:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Texas
  • Interests:CAS/SASS, Kayaking, Sailing, Fishing, Hunting, Archery, Camping, Hiking, Leatherworking, etc.
  • Camper Brand:1997 Lance 880
  • Truck Make & Model:1995 Ford F-350xlt

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

Howdy folks. Been a while since I last posted. Got a question for y'all if you don't mind.
Have any of you used a backup camera on your TC? I'm looking at upgrading my truck's radio and was thinking of getting a backup camera on my TC. What I'm wanting is something I can hardwire above the door so that I can see everything behind me. What are your experiences? Any advice you can offer?

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3727 posts
  • Local time: 03:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:01 AM

Howdy folks. Been a while since I last posted. Got a question for y'all if you don't mind.
Have any of you used a backup camera on your TC? I'm looking at upgrading my truck's radio and was thinking of getting a backup camera on my TC. What I'm wanting is something I can hardwire above the door so that I can see everything behind me. What are your experiences? Any advice you can offer?

Thanks

I have a hardwired backup camera on my camper. The camera is mounted above the rear entry door. There are two cables and the connection is at the front of the bed. So when I don't have the camper on the truck it simply disconnects. I have mine wired so that it is on when ever I want it to, not just in reverse. I have a power switch in the truck to shut it off if I don't want it on. I love it.

http://www.panapacif...roduct/mcs-10pp

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#3 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 753 posts
  • Local time: 06:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

we had one years ago in one of the TC's we owned. hard wired from camera to display in the truck cab. we liked it. when we sold the camper it when with it. purchased it from some place down in Louisiana

I think you would like one. especially if you tow something.

on edit - place name is RVcams.

I would get a wireless one also.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#4 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 99 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:52 PM

Take a look at this, before you decide what to do. I just bought this, and haven't installed it yet----not spring yet. HD pic and 28 IR LED's for night

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#5 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 66 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):-Ej-

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

Have any of you used a backup camera on your TC?

I'm looking at upgrading my truck's radio and was thinking of getting a backup camera on my TC. What I'm wanting is something I can hardwire above the door so that I can see everything behind me. What are your experiences? Any advice you can offer?

Thanks

FWIW…
I ordered my Northstar Camper with the backup camera option.
It has a portable 2 channel monitor. I only have one camera for now but may add another in the future.
The camera has IR LEDs so it can ‘see’ in total darkness.

When I’m driving I use the cam & monitor in the cab of my truck so I can see directly behind me and (somewhat) to the sides for lane changes.
When I'm in the camper I use it as a security device.

There is a selector switch mounted on the upped back wall of my camper that lets me switch the power on/off from the cab of the truck or inside the camper. 
The equipment itself seem to be a Chinese knock-off with absolutely no brand name of make & model information.
Regardless, it works pretty darn good! 

camfront-0001.jpg

The camera model tag is shown below…

CamTag-0001.jpg

Completely generic instruction manual, with no hint of make or modle of camera…

book_cover-0001.jpg

book-1-0001.jpg

The handy On/Off/Remote three-way power switch located in my camper…

switch-0001.jpg

The dual channel portable 7” color monitor. 
The system is WiFi so the color monitor can be held anywhere within 30 feet of the camera.

monitor-0001.jpg

Note that I have parking sensors installed in the rear bumper of my camper so my back-up cam is used as more of a security device than a parking assist.

Parking_Sensors.png

Hope that helps a little.
Regards,
-Ej-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#6 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

I'm looking at upgrading my truck's radio and was thinking of getting a backup camera on my TC. What I'm wanting is something I can hardwire above the door so that I can see everything behind me. What are your experiences? Any advice you can offer?

Additional thoughts on this. . .

As for adding a new aftermarket radio in your F350...

Most new head units will indeed come with GPS, Camera inputs, A/V inputs, etc... so you could certainly connect a 'wired' camera from the back of your camper to the head-unit in the dash of your truck but, I'm thinking the flexibility of adding a multi channel, stand-alone camera system would be the cheaper, easier to install, and more flexible approach.

g113_DNX893_S-_B.jpg

g113_DNX893_S-o_angle2.jpg

--------- vs. ---------

WVOS511_500.jpg

-Ej- 

2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#7 OFFLINE   Dorado

Dorado

Poster

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Texas
  • Interests:CAS/SASS, Kayaking, Sailing, Fishing, Hunting, Archery, Camping, Hiking, Leatherworking, etc.
  • Camper Brand:1997 Lance 880
  • Truck Make & Model:1995 Ford F-350xlt

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

I'm needing to replace the stereo anyways, so I'll be back there wiring all that up anyways. I was thinking of getting a wired camera and splitting the signal between the camper's TV and a wireless transmitter that I can hook the receiver to the stereo. Would that be a good option? I can't have many more components on the dash. Stereo, radio, e-brake control, GPS, phone chargers,etc. It's getting a bit messy as is.

Edited by Dorado, 15 February 2018 - 04:53 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

1.) I was thinking of getting a wired camera and splitting the signal between the camper's TV and a wireless transmitter that I can hook the receiver to the stereo. Would that be a good option?

2.) I can't have many more components on the dash. Stereo, radio, e-brake control, GPS, phone chargers,etc. It's getting a bit messy as is.

WiFi vs. hard-wired...

1.) The only issue with using a WiFi cam to feed your stereo would be the extra step of getting the WiFi camera's output signal back into a hard-wired video format so it could be 'inputted' to the new stereo stack in your dash.

Also keep in mind that if you go with a 'hard-wired' camera on the back of the camper, you would have to disconnect it every time the camper is removed from the truck. 

>>> Later tonight I'll take a closer look at my WiFi monitor. If by chance it has a video-out jack your problems are solved!

2.) Heh-heh... You can Never have too many gadgets in the cab of an F350.  :fing32:

inside_space_shuttl.jpg

2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#9 OFFLINE   jeff

jeff

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Queensland
  • Camper Brand:Coronet
  • Truck Make & Model:Holden Rodeo 2004

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

FWIW…
I ordered my Northstar Camper with the backup camera option.
It has a portable 2 channel monitor. I only have one camera for now but may add another in the future.
The camera has IR LEDs so it can ‘see’ in total darkness.

When I’m driving I use the cam & monitor in the cab of my truck so I can see directly behind me and (somewhat) to the sides for lane changes.
When I'm in the camper I use it as a security device.

There is a selector switch mounted on the upped back wall of my camper that lets me switch the power on/off from the cab of the truck or inside the camper. 
The equipment itself seem to be a Chinese knock-off with absolutely no brand name of make & model information.
Regardless, it works pretty darn good! 

camfront-0001.jpg

The camera model tag is shown below…

CamTag-0001.jpg

Completely generic instruction manual, with no hint of make or modle of camera…

book_cover-0001.jpg

book-1-0001.jpg

The handy On/Off/Remote three-way power switch located in my camper…

switch-0001.jpg

The dual channel portable 7” color monitor. 
The system is WiFi so the color monitor can be held anywhere within 30 feet of the camera.

monitor-0001.jpg

Note that I have parking sensors installed in the rear bumper of my camper so my back-up cam is used as more of a security device than a parking assist.

Parking_Sensors.png

Hope that helps a little.
Regards,
-Ej- Hi  Electrojake,

Thanks for your great pictures. I wonder if you could spell out the camera tag numbers a little more.I can not quite see them well enough in the picture. I thought I might Google them to see some details. 

With rear view cameras (always on while driving), the camera angle is important. Should be narrow angle 60 degrees or less (some say 30 degrees). The image then looks more like a rear view mirror so you can see cars etc further away and judge distences. For just backing a wide angle (120 degrees) is better shows a very wide field of view but very poor on judging distances. (a fish-eye lens). Some people have both.

I have a new Northstar on order but did not get the back up camera option. I already have the wires and monitor on my truck from my old camper. I like a hard wired system there is no interference etc,. Just one more plug to undo when you take the camper off.

The Northstar system looks very neat though.

Great pictures.

All the best
Jeff

#10 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:43 PM

Hi  Electrojake,

Thanks for your great pictures. I wonder if you could spell out the camera tag numbers a little more.I can not quite see them well enough in the picture. I thought I might Google them to see some details. 

With rear view cameras (always on while driving), the camera angle is important. Should be narrow angle 60 degrees or less (some say 30 degrees). The image then looks more like a rear view mirror so you can see cars etc further away and judge distences. For just backing a wide angle (120 degrees) is better shows a very wide field of view but very poor on judging distances. (a fish-eye lens). Some people have both.

I have a new Northstar on order but did not get the back up camera option. I already have the wires and monitor on my truck from my old camper. I like a hard wired system there is no interference etc,. Just one more plug to undo when you take the camper off.

The Northstar system looks very neat though.

Great pictures.

All the best
Jeff

These shots should be a litter clearer.

The camera tag...

Cam_Tag-0001.jpg

Date tag on cam...

CAM_date-_IMG_0031-0001.jpg

Cam data...

Cam_IMG_0036-0001.jpg

Monitor data...

Monitor_IMG_0034-0001.jpg

Click on the image for full size.

Regards,

-Ej- 

2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#11 OFFLINE   jeff

jeff

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Queensland
  • Camper Brand:Coronet
  • Truck Make & Model:Holden Rodeo 2004

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Electrojake,

It did come up on Google and its 115 degrees. That's sort of middle of the road compromise, probably works fairly in all situations and probably a good choice if there is only one camera. I have always had 2 cameras, 1 (wide angle)on the truck license plate which I use when the camper is off and a second (narrow angle) above the camper door for use as a rear view camera as my camper has no see-thru panels.

Interesting that Northstar use CMOS cameras. Conventional wisdom is that CCD is better but these days I'm not so sure. CMOS has greatly improved recently so perhaps not much difference now. I have a very cheap CMOS camera here and I am surprised at its quality. Colour is actually better than CCD but brightness and definition not quite as good.

Thanks again for your trouble,

All the best

Jeff

#12 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

Thanks Electrojake,

It did come up on Google and its 115 degrees. That's sort of middle of the road compromise, probably works fairly in all situations and probably a good choice if there is only one camera. I have always had 2 cameras, 1 (wide angle)on the truck license plate which I use when the camper is off and a second (narrow angle) above the camper door for use as a rear view camera as my camper has no see-thru panels.

Interesting that Northstar use CMOS cameras. Conventional wisdom is that CCD is better but these days I'm not so sure. CMOS has greatly improved recently so perhaps not much difference now. I have a very cheap CMOS camera here and I am surprised at its quality. Colour is actually better than CCD but brightness and definition not quite as good.

Thanks again for your trouble,

All the best

Jeff

Thanks for the info jeff,

The Camera (and most other electronics) are installed after Northstar builds the camper and ships it to the local dealer.

Thus, most of the gadgets & goodies were installed by Truck Camper Warehouse. See the link below...

http://truckcamperwarehouse.com/

Cheers!

-Ej-

2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#13 OFFLINE   PACK4TAG

PACK4TAG

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 61 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IA -AZ
  • Camper Brand:2001 825 LL EC Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:15 FORD 250 BRONZE GAS W/TAG
  • Name (Public):Roy

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

My Garmin 760 GPS / wireless rear camera (powered by clearance light wire) has been all I expected and more.If I want a peak at the boat or merging traffic,just  flip on clearance lights.The free updates for life is the real deal.

#14 OFFLINE   PACK4TAG

PACK4TAG

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 61 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IA -AZ
  • Camper Brand:2001 825 LL EC Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:15 FORD 250 BRONZE GAS W/TAG
  • Name (Public):Roy

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:41 AM

My 760 camera mount

Attached Thumbnails

• 250 lance 006.JPG

#15 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:56 AM

A clean effective mount.

Thanks for posting the pic. occasion14.gif

2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#16 OFFLINE   Profkanz

Profkanz

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 11:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:Northstar
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram 1500

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:18 PM

Just installed a wireless camera that sends wifi signal to ios or android phones or tablets.

Works very well. Power is hard wired to the camper DC system but will soon be switched. Found the vendor to be very responsive to communications with easy to reach tech support.  Also did not try to sell me a more expensive system which I did not need. Their inventory is extensive. I am not employed by them but believe in supporting businesses with good customer service. 

Website is www.tadibrothers.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In