sunliteowner

Poster

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 04:17 PM
  • State/Province or Region:indiana
  • Camper Brand:sunlite

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

The numbers are from the driver side door.Am I looking in the wrong place? All I know is the truck bed only squats about 2 inches and rides great. Thanks for the help.

#22 OFFLINE   Shellback

Shellback

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 264 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel Grandby
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 Silverado 1500
  • Name (Public):Shellback

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

I had an 06 Dodge 1500 Quadcab 4x4 and I'm pretty sure my front and rear axles were rated 4500#,  but the gross weight for the truck was 6600#. I had the 20" wheels, not sure if that was relevant to the axle size.

#23 OFFLINE   sunliteowner

sunliteowner

Poster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

What I was asking is the payload capacity, sorry. My camper is 1450 empty. We don't carry water or a lot of stuff, I'm thinking we are good on weight. I have not been able to find exact numbers for payload on the truck. I did add a set of 10 ply Cooper tires and bumpers on frame. 

Edited by sunliteowner, 19 December 2017 - 03:27 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   Shellback

Shellback

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 264 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel Grandby
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 Silverado 1500
  • Name (Public):Shellback

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:07 AM

What I was asking is the payload capacity, sorry. My camper is 1450 empty. We don't carry water or a lot of stuff, I'm thinking we are good on weight. I have not been able to find exact numbers for payload on the truck. I did add a set of 10 ply Cooper tires and bumpers on frame. 

Take it to a scale, you will be shocked! I think my Travel Lite 770SL with a sticker weight of 1330# was at least 700# over gross

#25 OFFLINE   sunliteowner

sunliteowner

Poster

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

I think I will do that this spring. 

#26 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 11:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):-Ej-

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for bringing this up, Ej. I measured both the camper and the F250 bed today. The camper in-bed length is exactly 7'. The F250 bed is 84" or 7' form the front of the bed to the back of the bed, as you can see in the pic. To me that seems absolutely perfect, as I'd have great access to the rear bumper and step. 

Here's the pic: https://www.amazon.c...bKIvjggwJr4fyi 

Actually, I’m not 100% correct on my camper fit statements…
If your camper unit does NOT have an overhanging tail, then length is not really an issue.

In the case of my short Arrow-U and its overhang... a long truck bed truck would result in cracked tail lights.
BTW, bed length is not the issue. It's the truck bed's back wall to the faces of the tail light measurement that is important.

Sorry to nag here, I'm just trying to be clear.
Thanks!
-Ej-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#27 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1921 posts
  • Local time: 09:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 22 December 2017 - 04:14 PM

There are really no wrong answers or dum questions help those that need it. One rule of thumb is get more truck than what you need. With what ive heard and seen about pop up TC and trailers I wouldnt have one. Ive had 4 TC so far our Weekender holds the fond memories its weight was 2800 dry. One we hated was a Lance 1181 that was a lemon from day one it was well over 4k. The AF-990 ranked up with the Weekender. The AF died a few months back every system almost failed at the same time so we bought a new Adventure it has a few quirks but we love it. The weight of over 5123 lbs + towing a 16ft flat trailer with our toys. We are at or nearly at our limits. Boy if you dont plan on snything bigger than a 6.5ft pop up a 3/4 ton be just fine. But short bed trucks will limit your choices of TC in the future. The back to the statement get more truck than you plan on.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#28 OFFLINE   Electrojake

Electrojake

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 61 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Northeastern US
  • Interests:Work is my hobby.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Arrow-U
  • Truck Make & Model:RAM 3500 Cummins/AISIN
  • Name (Public):-Ej-

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

There are really no wrong answers or dum questions help those that need it. One rule of thumb is get more truck than what you need. With what ive heard and seen about pop up TC and trailers I wouldnt have one. Ive had 4 TC so far our Weekender holds the fond memories its weight was 2800 dry. One we hated was a Lance 1181 that was a lemon from day one it was well over 4k. The AF-990 ranked up with the Weekender. The AF died a few months back every system almost failed at the same time so we bought a new Adventure it has a few quirks but we love it. The weight of over 5123 lbs + towing a 16ft flat trailer with our toys. We are at or nearly at our limits. Boy if you dont plan on snything bigger than a 6.5ft pop up a 3/4 ton be just fine. But short bed trucks will limit your choices of TC in the future. The back to the statement get more truck than you plan on.

All good points KnightEagle.  :)

As for truck size, in my case I wanted the smallest 1-ton truck I could find so that once I get to my camping destination I could unload the camper and venture off-road (without having to tow my Jeep).

Now granted, a RAM 3500 short-bed 4x4 is a complete sow off-road when compared to my lifted Jeep TJ, but the little RAM is still a lot more capable than any long-bed dually, especially on narrow trails and such.

I actually wanted an F350 short-bed but the RAM short bed was almost a foot shorter so I went with the smaller FCA (ahem, Fiat) truck.  :rolleyes:

I love my Northstar Arrow-U short-bed camper but my small truck does indeed limit my choice of campers. It's good that you made britdog aware of that.

Your Adventurer camper is beautiful!

Thanks for posting your information and keeping this thread rolling.

Regards,

-Ej-

2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn - Cummins/AISIN, 4x4, SRW, ShortBd.
2017 Northstar Arrow-U

#29 OFFLINE   wirenut

wirenut

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Interests:boating trains amateur radio
  • Camper Brand:Fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:'05 3500 chevy

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:16 PM

I'm taking the consensus on my jacks question to be go for the electric if you plan on taking the camper off the truck more than a couple times per year. My vision is that I will take the camper off the truck when I'm not using it weekend after weekend and I would like to have the reasonable option of taking it off and on in the field. 

On to the truck question. Here are the numbers I'm using in my calculations:

10,000 lbs = F250 GVWR

6,478         = F250 Crew Cab curb weight

3,522          = Delta of above, or Max Cargo Weight

1,405 lbs  = Northstar TC650 Dry Weight 

170          = Weight of options and accessories

250          = Full 30 gal water tank

20            = Full propane tank

640          =  2 people, 2 dogs, gear (I think this is slightly conservative), Tie Downs, less tailgate removed (50lb)

2,485       = Total cargo weight

3522 - 2485 = 1,037 lbs under 10,000 GVWR

I'm basing my targeting of an F250 on these numbers. I was feeling comfortable that I had a 1/2 ton safety margin for additional people, gear, inaccurate estimates.

What am I missing? Are there other considerations that you are thinking of beyond these numbers?

Thanks so much for sharing your insights and experience. I'm days away from making the final camper selection and probably a little more on the truck. 

I think you'll be heavier than you think and wish for the 3 series truck. Most camper's dry weight is notoriously low. I'm not sure how big the people and dogs are but I would guess that total at least 350 pounds. That leaves you less than 300 pounds of gear. I suspect you will be well over that.

I also think your "empty" truck weight of 6,478 is low. I had a regular cab 4x4 3500 SRW Chevy that was 6,800 pounds empty. Granted, it was a diesel but I don't see how a crew cab gas would be 300 pounds lighter than a regular cab diesel. Either way, you've left no room for truck accessories. Will you be adding aftermarket stereo equipment and speakers, off road lights, grill guard, winch, nerf bars, auxiliary battery, heavy duty bumpers, larger wheels and tires, etc.?

#30 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Local time: 09:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

I have an 11' Lance TC, a crew cab 1T dually Chevy and Atwood electric jacks. I leave the TC in that pickup all season because I also have my late father's retirement pickup (73 Chevy camper special) for errand running when the streets aren't icy.
Should you buy electric jacks, never operate a jack you aren't watching. Seeing the front of your camper held up by a single jack because the other one quit extending is not good. It's a 12V system with a battery powered remote, so it isn't totally trustworthy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In