• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 12:39 AM
  • State/Province or Region:OHIO
  • Camper Brand:N/A
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 FORD F350 SRW
  • Name (Public):WILLIAM COWGAR

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Newly retired and looking to get into rv ing. Not sure which way to go , but my first choice is truck camper. Will be using for extended stays , 3 to 5 weeks. We have a 2012 f350 srw (inherited , so no cost). Advice  from long time truck camper as to what type of camper would you buy. Cost on problem and my wife and I get along fine with each other company.

#2 OFFLINE   joerg68

joerg68

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Saarland
  • Interests:Truck Campers ;-)
  • Camper Brand:2017 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB
  • Name (Public):Joerg

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

well, you are in a truck camper forum, so there probably will not be much support for other types of RV here...

Jokes aside - have you camped in a truck camper / other RV before? Or have you even been inside one?

Do you want/need a bathroom (I assume yes)? A wet bath (toilet and shower share the same space -> showering gets everything wet, hence wet bath) or a dry bath (toilet and shower separated, needs more space)?

Is your truck a long bed? There is more space in most long bed campers, and there is more choice.

Most truck campers with a slideout tend to be fairly heavy - possibly too heavy for your SRW truck. All non-slideout campers should work well, as far as weight is concerned.

Try to experience as many different campers as you can. Try to imagine what it would be like to live inside the one you are looking at. How would everyday activities be done? Do you cook? Microwave? What is good *for you* about the specific floorplan? What is bad?

In what type of weather do you want to travel? Winter needs more heat and more space as you can not spend time outside. while In summer a small popup truck camper with an outside shower might be enough.

Do you want to go off road, boondock, or camp in full hookup only?

Do you want / need to use your truck separate from the camper?

Look at other RVs in the same way and see what advantages/disadvantages a truck camper has *for you* and for the travel style *you* have.

No one here can tell you what is best for *your* needs and wants - you need to make yourself familiar with the options available to you and decide what is the best compromise (all RVs require some sort of compromise sometimes)

If you have no RV experience, try to rent one for a vacation. Even a standard Class C goes a long way in finding out what you want more and what less.

Its work to find answers to your questions, but also very rewarding. Happy Camping,

Joerg

2014 F350 SCLB 6.2 + 2017 Northstar Arrow

#3 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:14 AM

​One of the first questions I ask is...

​ Do you like to hang out outside or indoors? While some campers have plenty of room it is a good simple question. Some folks like to get to a place and hang out inside a lot. Others like to get to the spot and hang out outside. Most the "truck camper" minded people like to hang out outside. So many types of RV's so there is something for everyone 

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#4 OFFLINE   Jillneddie

Jillneddie

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Ms
  • Interests:Fishing,hunting, camping, travel,grand kids
  • Camper Brand:2014 artic fox 992
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 3500 cc longbed, diesel srw, 4&&4
  • Name (Public):Eddie

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:21 AM

Your profile says you live in Ohio. Gather as much information about TC as you can and options that your truck can carry. With some minor mods your one ton srw can handle a good many single slid campers. There is a truck camper dealership in Hammersville, Ohio that sells high quality Tc. Good place to start and see them

#5 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:30 AM

I'm pretty sure that if I didn't NEED my truck for so many projects that I would avoid going the truck camper route.  The truck versatility makes a slide-in camper for it a no-brainer. 

But the problem with truck campers is that there is a weight issue. . .almost everyone tends to overload the truck.  And it getting the camper off the truck when parked on uneven terrain is a difficult problem.  Eventually you might want to tow a boat, a trailer, a touring car or something.  

If buying an RV is based on an inherited one ton truck, I would suggest that you start with what is the actual weight carrying capacity of the truck.  Especially if it is an older truck.  Then look a the "published" weight of campers and add 1000 pounds to that published fairy tail.  THEN find the camper that you like and see if will be a suitable match for your vehicle.

#6 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

The dealer in Hamersville Ohio is Mike jones RV Center 1777 State Route 125 Hamersville, OH 45130 and his email is sales@mikejonesmotors.com phone  937.379.2277 We bought our new TC from him. He had about a dozen TC there. Don't know his inventory you will need to call first to see if he has one to fit a short bed,also you can go to see what he has and sit and try each out to get a feel of one its important to kick the tires  and pretend you are caught in a rain and cant go out side for some our very tight and get kind of small, We went here for we only wanted just this model and no other.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#7 OFFLINE   busfacebitbit

busfacebitbit

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

Thanks and a tip of the hat for everyone who replied. I am newly retired will be headed south during the worst of winter weather. We have done some comparing of different  campers including fivers. Wife says she would not be comfortable towing anything . As for the truck was planning to trade for a newer DRW. Not planning any rough off road trips. From various sources was told to not purchase a unit with slides for various reasons. So any long time truck camper has any thoughts on this?

#8 OFFLINE   joerg68

joerg68

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 77 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Saarland
  • Interests:Truck Campers ;-)
  • Camper Brand:2017 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB
  • Name (Public):Joerg

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

Again, you need to decide what is best *for you*. I have not had a camper with slides - they tend to be too big for european use. But the US are different. Maybe someone with more slideout experience will add some comments.

with slideout: more space overall, probably a bigger bathroom, better if you need to spend time inside, more comfortable seating, better suited for more than 2 persons (visiting kids/grandkids?). possibly more storage space

but: overall bigger and heavier, more expensive, May not be useable with the slide(s) in. No stealth camping when the slides are out. Slides and slideout mechanisms may cause additional issues that a non-slide camper does not experience.

There is nothing wrong with either concept - you just get to pick what suits your needs and wants the best
2014 F350 SCLB 6.2 + 2017 Northstar Arrow

#9 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Hey bustface go to mike jones web site and check out or adventure 116DS or go to adv manufacture to see the 116DS or the Eagle Cap line the Adventure is there cheaper line but built right next to the eagle cap both use the same parts just the finish is sharper in the EC line.

Back to ups and downs to a slide model. A up is there is more room and floor space. Depending on the model or who makes it. You find that either the dinette or couch slides out or even part of the kitchen. A down is they can add app. 300-400lbs per slide and be taller than say a WC-850.

Our last three TC a weekender with no slide was at 2800lbs but tight for two people not alot of room to strech out eith you were in the cab over or at the dinette then the other could cook or you needed to be out side. Was a good learning tool but at 15 years old at the time age was catching it up wood rot had gotten hold of it time was running out. The Lance 1191 over all was a nice TC but it showed little thought for who would buy it. I'm close to 6ft, wife close to 5ft had poblems getting into the dinette or stay on the throne had to make a platform to getting into the dinette easyer and another in the throne room for when on the throne had to put your feet into the shower to keep from falling of it.  it had a slide and it gave almost 25 sgft of floor space to the TC. Was glad when we got rid of it personnel reasons I grew to dislike Lance. When we got rid of the Lance we picked up the AF-990 it was 30 sgft smaller than the Lance but a little more elbow room than the weekender Out of these three the best was the AF with the one slide Now we have the Adv 116DS a large TC has two slides a side door model a rear kitchen in the slide and the dinette in the other slide about 36 sgft larger than the AF if not more.

Most of the TC out on the market slide in to the bed and the 4x8 bed space of the truck is the main floor space of a TC some will raise it up and put the tanks under the floor and have the kitchen sticking over the bed rails and even the dinette also. In the larger models like the EC-1165, Mammoth, 116DS and some others they will build the floor over the bed rails and place the tanks under the floor and anything else they can even the batteries, generator, propane tanks, etc.

If you are even thinking of a large TC like the Eagle Cap, Adv 116DS, Mammoth or the few others keep in mind a Adv 116 will ride on a 3500 1 ton dually where a Mammoth  needs a 4500 or better a 5500 they say a 3500 be ok but even dry on a 3500 you are over loaded.

The choice of trucks most TC work best on a 3/4 ton or even a 1 ton SRW most of them are fine on these trucks just the larger TC's will need the DRW trucks 3500-5500 models. There are a few that will work on a 1/2 ton but even then you are near the weight or even over weight. You have more choices with a long bed truck. The extended cabs our great for familys but will cut into your bed load. Even 4 wheel drive cuts into the bed load. I have a one ton dually reg cab and it handles the Adv 116DS with ease. Thing is get more truck than what you think you need. So you think a DRW 3500 anof. No get the 4500 DRW or even the 5500 you be happer in the long run.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   Boatfix

Boatfix

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 AM
  • Camper Brand:BigFoot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Cummins 3500 dually 4x4
  • Name (Public):BoatFix

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:28 AM

Newly retired and looking to get into rv ing. Not sure which way to go , but my first choice is truck camper. Will be using for extended stays , 3 to 5 weeks. We have a 2012 f350 srw (inherited , so no cost). Advice  from long time truck camper as to what type of camper would you buy. Cost on problem and my wife and I get along fine with each other company.

Everybody is going to push their favorite. After two other brands, I'm on my second Bigfoot (14 years now) as we wanted a larger one w/ popout (also known as slideout).

Here are "some" of our favorite items and items of advice. (worth 2 cents)

1. For your truck - Torklift Stableload A MUST! And Torklift tie downs, and turnbuckles.

2. Stand alone shower.

3. At least one slide out.

4. No wood framed construction. After excessive use they will start to rack like a damp cardboard box.

5. No corrugated siding of any material.

6. Outside shower.

7. Oven.

8. Wireless Rieco Titan camper jacks.

9. Two deep cycle 6 volt AGM batteries wired in series to 12 volt. Give you max amount of power storage. Add solar array if you boondock.

10. Add ALL LED lights.

11. Add pressure water wash down system to wash off your aft door entry. After traveling in wet dirty weather you'll soon realize that the back of your camper gets loaded up with road crud. There's nothing like at the end of the day of traveling that you now have to step in, handle on a load of wet road grime to enter your living space. 

12. I can go on, and on but will not bore you at this time

Edited by Boatfix, 14 October 2017 - 05:31 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

I agree with you Boatfix at least 10 out of 12

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#12 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:58 AM

As for slides; Recommend that you can still get in the camper with the slide closed.  In the event of slide failure or extreme wind, you can still use the camper to cook, bath, etc, with the slide closed.

After ten years of TCing I finally added 200 watts of solar power - wish I'd done that earlier.  If the camper comes with solar, great!  If not, a portable suitcase solar charge system is something to consider.

#13 OFFLINE   busfacebitbit

busfacebitbit

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:00 AM

thanks everybody. My wife is having back surgery on Nov 6th. New medical issue. Had one hip replaced  and need the other replaced.  Truck camper may not be a good fit for us.  Still have hope things will work out . Close to me is a Lance dealer . a Camplite , and a Cirrus dealer and a Palomino.   Did go look at the Cirrus 820 didn't have a 920 in stock. Thought they seemed well built and had all the features we would need. No slide available , so that was a small minus. Weight was good for 3/4 ton on the 820 which was designed for 6 & 1/2 ft. bed.  The 920 is for 8FT. bed 1 ton truck would be best. Very modern design I really not in " love " with but could live with. Heard nothing good about Palominos except price. Any one out there that have has any experience with Cirrus or Camplite  campers?

#14 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Also take a look at Northwood web site and check out both the AF and WC both are good TC AF has slides and the WC does not. As for your wifes surgery and all medical history a Side door model could be best even a trailer maybe a toy hauler? you can always drop the ramp for her to have easy entrance that could even open up the 5ers with the toy hauler

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#15 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

These are all good ideas.  I'd add that one of the things we like about our Northern Lite, is that it can be used while at a campground and pulled off the truck easily, and without any kind of bottom support.  This is due to the construction of it - Fiberglas and Nidacore.

This has made a big difference to us over the years.  If we are camping at the same location for more than a few days, we take the camper off, and still have the truck to tour around in.  This gives the camper the same "permanency" that trailer owners love.  They don't have to pack everything away to look around the area they are visiting, every day.  This is also combined with the "ease of driving" and access to smaller sites aspect of a truck camper.

One last thought.  Keep in mind that the advice you are getting here might be somewhat regional in nature.  A guy camping up here in NW Canada has a different list of "must haves" than a guy that camps in the Southern U.S.  I've never had AC, for instance...

Best of luck!

#16 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:02 AM

You might find it more expeditious to ask what you shouldn't buy.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In