9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3667 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

​ Okay, I know there was a topic about XM radio antenna placement but I can not seem to find it. So here is another topic about it. lol. I am adding XM to my truck and was wondering where some of you who have it, placed the antenna. The cord is pretty long so there are options. 

​ We travel so much in our car and truck and camper that having that radio coverage is worthwhile for us. I added it to my car already. For the truck I will have the separate unit since my trucks radio is not XM ready. That will allow me to switch between the truck and camper though, bonus. 

​So anyway...antenna placement to avoid being covered by the cab over when the camper is on is the question.....again. 

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#2 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2123 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

My truck required two things,   the remote antenna and a plug adapter.    The antenna has a high strength magnet.  It sticks to the hood no problem.  The radios vary between vehicles - you may not need the adapter.  ??

#3 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 735 posts
  • Local time: 12:20 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

i have mounted my antenna on the roof of the cab, right in the middle on the front edge. if your TC hangs over the cab you might want to put the magnet antenna on the leading edge of the engine hood. Most of the newer TC have a north-south bed setup so they tend to cover the truck cab. you might consider mounting the antenna on the TC roof. I did this on one of our campers. I had to mount a small steel plate on the TC roof to get the magnet to stick.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#4 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1906 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

I have xm in my radio that is in the dash of the truck its a factor job. I had the radio transfered from our 2011 Ram to our 2012 Ram. I got a antenia from a jeep it had a very long wire. I had mounted a plate on my brush guard, On my wife's car I got a kit from xm. It had a magnet and I mounted it on the hood of the car near the window. Just be a matter of keeping the wire from laying over the engine. So use duck tape or wire ties to keep the wire up on the hood the leading edge is best for TC's careing trucks.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#5 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3667 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

I will get the unit delivered to the house on Tuesday. Guess I will see how the antenna is. Right now I can say that I am really liking the XM in the car. I was growing tired of hearing the same 15 songs on the radio stations. Heck, even my daily work drive I spend about 35-40 minutes eachway. Listening to a wider range of songs is great. Too bad I wont have it for this weekends camping. Oh well...next time. 

www.thetclife.com

#6 OFFLINE   wirenut

wirenut

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Local time: 12:20 AM
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Interests:boating trains amateur radio
  • Camper Brand:Fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:'05 3500 chevy

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:22 PM

I had mine at the center of the hood just in front of the windshield. This worked fine except when going north. I then moved the antenna out to the front of the hood on the driver's side. This worked fine even when going North except when going under bridges. If I went under a highway overpass while heading north there would be a very brief loss of signal.

#7 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3667 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:11 AM

The unit for the truck should arrive today. So tonight (if it shows) I will start playing around with it. 

www.thetclife.com

#8 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3667 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:34 AM

Got the unit installed in the truck. Delivery of the item was an issue but it did get here. Right now I have the antenna set right above the windshield. It will be a couple weeks before I get the camper out again to see how it works with it on. 

www.thetclife.com

#9 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1906 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

I found it will work best out near the front edge of the truck hood in my case I have a brush guard That's where I mounted mine so it's out front another 12" it works great so far no issues from the TC just bridges at very few times

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson

Grand Potentate

• Moderators
  • 370 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Ford F350 Crew Cab dually
  • Name (Public):Rick Johnson

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

I took a different approach this summer. I wanted the Sirius XM unit to keep up with news, etc. while traveling through Idaho. I did not expect to unload the camper so I chose to mount the antenna on the roof of my camper. I used white Gorilla tape to attach a piece of metal sheeting just outside my escape hatch over the bed. Then I ran the wire in the hatch, along the ceiling and down the wall to the cab windows. Threaded thru both windows, there was still plenty of length to reach the console between the seats where I could operate the unit. I set up 5 FM frequencies which came in handy as I traveled next to population centers with lots of FM stations. The FM radio in my camper could receive the signal if I placed the unit closer to the rear window. I only wanted news anyway and didn't need to change stations much. One time, I did bring the unit into the camper with the antenna wire too. Worked fine. Next time (if any), I'll probably use the bathroom vent hatch so that my wife won't complain about the crack of light in the morning where the wire entered the escape hatch.

I haven't felt the need for XM since returning and unloading the camper. I'll probably use it inside until I let the 6 month subscription lapse (requires a phone call).

Rick

2004 F-350 Crew Cab 4WD Dually w/ Airlift air bags, Luverne brush guard, side steps and splash guards.
2007 LanceMax 1181 with nearly every option, enlarged cabover space (driver's side locker omitted), wider custom mattress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In