DaveinVirginia

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 PM
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Looking through a number of postings in different forums I am hesitant to buy a TC with a slide.  In new campers, is there a slide that does what it is supposed to when used daily or are they a constant piece of equipment to monitor and maintain?

You all are the experts since your out doing what I want to start doing, so I am all ears!

Thanks for your time.

#2 OFFLINE   Username already taken

Username already taken

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NV

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

I haven't had good luck with TC slides - no matter what when you add moving parts to a system you're adding complexity and weight.  Most recently, the electric brake started getting weak on mine, and as I drove down the road it would creep out about 6-8".  This was on a camper that was only 18 months old.  Well respected major brand.

That said, I know people who would NEVER even consider a TC without a slide - they like the additional room it gives way too much to give them up, sooooo......

Here's my thinking.

On a TT or 5er, you've got great big beefy steel frame rails that house the slide mechanism and provide stability and support for the slide.  A TC doesn't have the frame rails a trailer does - so to get a slide in a TC you have to cut a big hole in a structural wall that is responsible for the structural integrity of the camper, AND mount a slide mechanism to it to drive the slide in and out, AND count on that wall to provide support and alignment for the slide both extended and retracted.  Watch a TC slide wobble and shift going in and out (especially with the Schwintek mechanism) vs. the smooth linear motion of a TT slide, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Now consider - say your slide weighs 1000 lbs with all the equipment and passengers, and goes 2 ft out from the camper.  If the COG of the slide is right in the middle (1 foot out from the wall) you're hanging 1000 foot/ lbs of torque on an already compromised wall.   I know the load is spread along the top of the slide wall, so if you have an 8' slide it's only 10 pounds per inch pulling on the wall and roof, but it adds up. I compare it to the bumblebee paradox - it doesn't work on paper but it does in real life.  Doesn't make me feel any better about it.  

Also consider that you've also now got a breach in the wall of the camper from a weather and sealing perspective.  A misaligned seal can allow rain, water, wind etc. into your nice clean new camper.  With aluminum frames it's not as big a deal as it was back in the days of stick and tin because rot isn't as much of an issue, but it's still something to think about.  Arctic Fox for example triple seals their slides, but Lance uses only one seal.

This is part of the reason we just bought a Northern Lite.

That's my $0.02.  Worth what you paid for it.

Edited by Username already taken, 14 September 2017 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In