DaveinVirginia

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 PM
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Enjoy reading all the informative postings on the forum.  I am looking at a TC that will get extensive use when I am working in Northern Virginia.  Of these two companies is there really that much of a difference between the products or does it come down to personal preference?

I'd appreciate any feedback you have on your experience.  Slides are probably my biggest concern.  It seems from reading some past posts that they really aren't all that reliable when in daily use? 

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 825 posts
  • Local time: 08:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

I am not sure any TC is designed for use as a daily housing unit.  

That said, we have 260+ nights on our  2012 Adventurer 86FB.  There were some finishing up issues at the start (drawer fronts pulling off, sunlight showing through the insulated nosecap, wires dangling), but now, it is pretty carefree.  

We bought a 2014  Nash 23D(Arctic Fox's baxic trailer model)  for living in while we are between houses and during our volunteer experiences.   It has had both sink drains leak within 2 weeks of each other.  The door needs to be adjusted to keep bugs out.  The counters feel cheap. The table wiggles terribly.  But the bed is easy to make.

Find a layout that works for you and be prepared to either visit the dealer alot, or fix it yourself.

#3 OFFLINE   Jillneddie

Jillneddie

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ms
  • Interests:Fishing,hunting, camping, travel,grand kids
  • Camper Brand:2014 artic fox 992
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 3500 cc longbed, diesel srw, 4&&4
  • Name (Public):Eddie

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Have had two Artic fox campers found them to high quality and we used them a lot. If I remember correctly I had small problem with the slide on the firest one. Found the campers to work great and had good materials in them. Cabinets and structure were very good. The second one a 992 was flawless just spent 20 nights in it. Loaded camper. Wouldn't hesitate to get another

#4 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Poster

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 10:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:55 AM

We are on our second Lance. The first was a 2005 1181 which was a great unit that was very well made. The current 1172 that we own is a very comfortable TC but I think with the newer lighter weight materials the long range durability will be questionable. I may be wrong, but having used it consistently for the past 3 mos. I see little things that are more issues with the interior finish on cabinets and crappie cabinet doors latches. We have friends that owned a AF 990 and we're very pleased with it. Others I have spoken with are also pleased, but so are Lance owners. We are considering down sizing and are looking hard at the AF 990 even though it has the wet bath. Not sure if we are convinced we want to go that way just yet. The primary reason we are thinking about moving away from a new Lance is that we have yet to see a new model that has really wowed us. Seems like none of the newer brand campers with slides will allow access to the bathroom without opening the slides. This is an issue for my DW who seems to need to use the bathroom every hour or so. WOMEN! Lol!

Edited by Chief 2, 15 September 2017 - 02:58 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 07:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

Get the one with the layout that you like most.  I've had both an Arctic Fox 1140 and now a Lance 1181 - both are flawed.  Of the two, the Arctic Fox was better built but used cheaper small parts (like a spring type thermostat compared to a digital thermostat).  Lance has a better design layout for me.  AF was much heavier.

#6 OFFLINE   DaveinVirginia

DaveinVirginia

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Name (Public):Dave

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

Appreciate the responses!

#7 OFFLINE   ridinon2

ridinon2

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wisconsin
  • Name (Public):Kevin

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:16 AM

What does "DW" mean here by the way?

#8 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

DW = darling wife (or SWMBO) = she who must be obeyed.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#9 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Poster

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:33 AM

Dear wife

#10 OFFLINE   ridinon2

ridinon2

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wisconsin
  • Name (Public):Kevin

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:41 AM

Ha! I figured it was something like that. Thanks for letting me know!!

#11 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

The one model with slides in the bigger units like the one we just picked up Alp 116DS you can get to the restroom and the king size bed with the slides in both of them its a mid wet bath rear kitchen.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#12 OFFLINE   lincolnmatthews

lincolnmatthews

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • State/Province or Region:wa
  • Interests:Of course Truck Camping!, motorcycling, & Jeeping!
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1181 2015
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 4x 4 dually, 1997
  • Name (Public):Scott, Scott

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

We were at the 012 RV show looking at AF's & Lance's, we  were not impressed with what we saw with the particular Lance's that were on display. Didn't like the interior colors,  counters etc (I wouldn't give you a dime for any then). We didn't buy till 015 & bought a new 1050S Lance! We really liked it (they changed the colors, had nice molded counter tops, also liked the new molded front nose). This particular model wasn't tanked very well (small),  but had a lower roof height that allowed it to go in my shop.

Well the shop burned up last Jan & burned the camper up, so was back looking immediately! for another Lance (before the smoke had hardly  cleared, priority's maybe a little mixed up, na I don't think so!)

I was able & so fortunate to find one of the last 1181 Lance's built within 90 miles of our house! from the original owners, they were a young couple with 2 little kids. It just didn't work out for them with a camper, used only a  couple of times. So we were able to buy it, (actually saw it for  sale on the Lance Owners Forum). For us it is the perfect camper, beautiful inside, everything almost identical to the one we lost, (no microwave, or graphics on the outside etc etc)

I had to install solar panels, & a back up camera etc but no big deal. Only thing I had to do was adjust some latches so the interior doors would close the way I like them to.

One thing I like about Lance's is the way they use the computer designed cuts on all the interior cabinets, seems like all there tolerances are so tight etc that they don't have to use moldings etc to cover cracks or cuts. On the two Lance's I've owned all the cabinets fit tight to the floor & the ceiling (this is very important to me, being  a former yacht restorer & wood worker).

I must say now though that I'm disappointed with the latest Lance floor plans, I don't personally like more  than one slide.One's enough for me to worry about, (so far no problems with my 1181 but it is a big slide) but I know the day's coming when it fails (they all do eventually) Oh well I don't care, I'll just have it fixed. I won't replace it as I love this floor plan so much!

Also for me personally, I won't have a camper without a wardrobe on the main floor, as I recall the only Lance that offers this anymore is the 1172 which I wouldn't have because of the 2 slides. I think you loose to much wall space with multiple slides, etc.

If I ever had to replace  my current TC, I would sure have to look at the AF's, I just wish they would come up with some new floor plans!  Just my 2 bit opinion! Good Luck

#13 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

AF's framing is stronger, but my Lance 1050 non-slide has stood up well since we bought it in August 2011,including two trips to Alaska.  AF TCs are much heavier.  With either brand, I'd suggest a pickup one size heavier than the TC maker says is adequate.  Neither offers a non-slide roomy TC anymore.  Dry bath or wet bath?  How valuable is additional storage to you?  We've had both in our 20+ years of owning TCs.  We now have a dry bath, but a long wardrobe closet is missed.  I think all AF TCs are four season, it may be an option with Lance.  If it's an option, buy it. 

#14 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

We just traded off our AF-990 was sad to see it go.We loved it, to keep her would of cost us more than she was worth, The fridge was out the jenney was out and there was delamination in the nose cap. Yet looking at TC is hard to do sometimes, we liked the Adv-116DS so much room and lots of storage. To see one none was close by. So out by default we found ours in Ohio and it was a great shakedown to get the bugs out. And we had a few show up. I woudn't have another Lance if they gave it to me.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#15 OFFLINE   Brholt

Brholt

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Name (Public):Brholt

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:03 PM

AF's framing is stronger, but my Lance 1050 non-slide has stood up well since we bought it in August 2011,including two trips to Alaska.  AF TCs are much heavier.  With either brand, I'd suggest a pickup one size heavier than the TC maker says is adequate.  Neither offers a non-slide roomy TC anymore.  Dry bath or wet bath?  How valuable is additional storage to you?  We've had both in our 20+ years of owning TCs.  We now have a dry bath, but a long wardrobe closet is missed.  I think all AF TCs are four season, it may be an option with Lance.  If it's an option, buy it.

Arctic Fox did bring back their non-slide 865 which Think has one of the best layouts in a non-slide camper. Still heavy though.

http://northwoodmfg.com/af-camper-865/

#16 OFFLINE   Danuel

Danuel

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • State/Province or Region:GA

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

Got good experience with Artic Fox. Lance's are good quality as well.

Edited by Danuel, 07 November 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

Lance needs to watch there quality and fit they are costing

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In