6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tomsan

Tomsan

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 08:41 PM
  • State/Province or Region:OR
  • Interests:Motorcycles, antique motorcycles, travel, exploring, camping, dogs, and history
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 SRW Crew Cab
  • Name (Public):Tomsan

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hi all

Am new to this forum and to truck camping.  Have been a long time car camper and backpacker.  Am retiring soon.  Wife and I plan to sell the house and travel and want to get out of congestion and do so in a truck camper.  We have a new F350, 4x4, crew cab, Ford's "truck camper" option (sway bar, upgraded front shocks), trailer brake controller, and 8 foot bed.  Plan to tow a trailer, approximately 5,000 pounds, to haul our motorcycles.  My estimate of the payload I can take on the truck (including 500 pounds for trailer tongue weight) is 4,400 pounds.  I like the Bigfoot and Northern Lite models; the concept of a fiberglass shell appears sound for longevity.  And we can minimize options to stay within payload limits.  We are fine with a wet bath.  Don't want a TV or AC or generator.  Want a 5 CF refrigerator/freezer.  We are looking at the NL Sportsman, BF 25C9.4LB (my fav), and BF 25C9.6LB. But after spending a lot of time reviewing posts on this forum on these brands, I have some doubts.  I was leaning towards BF, but there were some criticisms to BF quality.  However, the posts are often from around 2011 and earlier, when they were in financial trouble.  Also some older posts talk about issues on N.Lites. 

Can anyone speak to the current quality of BF and NL?  

The next choice would be Adventurer 89RB or Lance 850. 

We are planning to attend upcoming RV shows in Portland and Salem, OR. 

Thanks so much.  Tom

#2 OFFLINE   dvanceman

dvanceman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 09:41 PM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:camping, fishing, biking,kayaking,gardening,
  • Camper Brand:northernlite,2012
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge ram 3500,long box
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

I have a 2012 northern lite 10-2 cdse and carry it on a 2003 dodge ram 3500 srw. The camper loaded up weighs 3400 lbs and never travel with water in tanks to keep weight down. I have added 19.5 wheels and tires,sway bar,stable loads and belstein shocks all around. Only time I wish I had a dulley truck is when I pull into places I get a lot of swaying back and forth. Ive had no problems with the camper added a 85 watt solar panel and upgraded the batteries to group 31s witch just fit into the compartments. You have to watch the seams on the roof around everything that's cut into the roof inspect twice a year. This holds true for all brands of campers. The fiber glass will fade if you don't wax it every year. If you want your camper looking nice theres a lot of up keep. We love are northern lite camper highly recommened.

#3 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1914 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

Problem I have with Lance is build quality and the thought of those that use them. I know there those that love them to all ends. To sit in the dinner table got to have 4ft long legs for the plat form a foot off the floor plus got to slide your cheek in also. I'm close to 6ft and I have problems getting in, forget about my wife she's 5ft she had to get a running jump. Then in he bath room of the 1191 we had needed to put your ft in the swower or you fall off the throne. I had to remove a vent and shove a piece of two inch foam into a cavity to stop a vibration from a wall panel. Think you may like the AF-1140 and Af-1150. If you planing on full timing it get all the bells and whistle's you can afford. You want regret it. Once you get up to 1140-1150 anything bigger maybe into the dually class or the 550 range.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#4 OFFLINE   Tomsan

Tomsan

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, antique motorcycles, travel, exploring, camping, dogs, and history

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:21 PM

Dvanceman

Thanks for your reply.  Good to hear about a recent N.Lite.  Good advise to watch all the penetrations.  Do you use anything special to seal the penetrations in fiberglass, or will a good outdoor silicon caulk do the job?

#5 OFFLINE   Tomsan

Tomsan

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Thanks KnightEagle.  The AF 865 is on my radar.  My concern with 1140 and 1150 is weight, especially once I add 500 lb of trailer tongue weight.  But before I buy, will wait for new truck delivery - I will take it to scales and get actual weight so can get a better handle on payload.  That F350 8' bed comes with a 48 gal fuel tank, which will add a bit!

We have a RV show this coming weekend in Portland and am looking forward to seeing multiple models in one place.

Hope you're drying out in Texas. 

#6 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 07:41 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

Personally, I like both the NL and BF campers and know people who have had them and liked them too.

They will probably max out a dually payload.  A single rear wheel vehicle should have upgraded tires and rims to handle them.

The Adventurer and Lance are both good choices for a SRW truck and towing.

And I would add the generator and AC for two reasons; one is that they are precious when you find yourself in unexpected hot weather and you need to sleep at night.

Second is that they depreciate rapidly and when you go to sell it someday it will be compared to other campers with all the goodies - which will make it harder to sell or you lower the price.

#7 OFFLINE   dvanceman

dvanceman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:camping, fishing, biking,kayaking,gardening,
  • Camper Brand:northernlite,2012
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge ram 3500,long box
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:23 AM

Just use something that works on fiberglass. When your at the rv show you can get some good advice. When you weigh your truck make sure the tail gate is off and a full tank of fuel plus anything you take with you camping that goes in the truck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bigfoot, Northern Lite, Artic Fox, Lance, Adventurer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In