#1 OFFLINE   larz

larz

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 09:19 AM
  • State/Province or Region:ma

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

From what I have found, there is disagreement on going over recommended payloads. I was looking at a travel lite 800X camper which is a bit over 1500 pounds and based on additional equipment it is on the heavy end for a tundra or technically too heavy. You can add suspension components, but below are some stuff off the web that would be on the side of the it can be done etc.

A friend of mine has a silverado 1500 truck and tows a 4500 boat with it which he says is technically too much for his truck ..

The guy at the RV place claims that 90% of the trucks out there with campers are overloaded and he sells them that way all the time ..

Anyway, this site talks about boosting 1/2 ton trucks suspensions for campers:

http://www.trucktren...alf-ton-camper/

"After you learn that some 3/4- or 1-ton diesel trucks can cost as much an average U.S. residential condominium, smaller half-ton trucks start to look very appealing—especially if you are in the market for an in-bed camper.

The problem is unlike many of the 3/4- and 1-ton trucks on the market, most half-tons are not equipped to handle the bulkiness of a full-size camper. None of the current or even older half-ton pickups can safely haul a 1,000- to 2,000-pound payload in the bed. Fortunately, there are plenty of aftermarket companies that offer products that can help you get to your destination safely.

What we discovered is most of the products are bolt-on ready. In fact, we were able to transform a squishy 2004 Ram 1500 half-ton truck into a true camper hauler with only a few hours work in the driveway using common hand tools and some key components."

=============

campers recommended for 1/2 ton trucks, the campers here all weigh under 1,900 pounds and more than 1,500 pounds

http://www.truckcamp...alf-ton-trucks/

=============

Lance camper for 1/2 ton trucks weighs 1,896 pounds

https://www.lancecam...ck-campers/650/

============

Adventurer camper weighs 1700 pounds or so, the article mentions Tundra here with regards to that camper:

http://www.truckcamp...dventurer-80rb/

"The base dry weight unit weighed in at 1,720 pounds with a center of gravity of 27.5 inches from the front wall (the front of the bed back). I have not measured every super short bed truck, but that puts the 80RB center of gravity forward of the rear axle on the Ford, Dodge, and Toyota Tundra."

============

Tundra is listed as one of the best 1/2 ton trucks

https://www.autobyte...-trucks-119060/

#2 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Local time: 12:19 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

The problem with 1/2 tons carrying campers is the low payload rated semi floating axle under the rear and small brakes used in this class of trucks. You are better off starting with a higher class truck that has a full floating rear axle rated closer 10k lbs by Sterling or AAM. If you a stickler for following the ratings sticker, you need to step up to a dual rear model truck and mid sized camper. Yes, even these can be over some ratings if you choose the largest campers.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 03:19 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

The guy at the RV place claims that 90% of the trucks out there with campers are overloaded and he sells them that way all the time ..

Well then, it must be OK.  I'm fascinated frankly, that so many RV dealers are as ill informed and in some cases, unscrupulous as they are.  Fortunately, I did some research regarding payloads.  I have an F250, and one dealer told me that not only can I carry a 5000 lb camper, I wouldn't even know it was back there. As it is, with a 2500 lb camper (dry) I had to install a heavy duty sway bar and stable-loads.  

The problem is unlike many of the 3/4- and 1-ton trucks on the market, most half-tons are not equipped to handle the bulkiness of a full-size camper. None of the current or even older half-ton pickups can safely haul a 1,000- to 2,000-pound payload in the bed.

I saw an ad for an F150 this morning that stated the payload was 3400 lbs.  I'm sure that's a "camper package" or upgraded suspension of some sort, but the lighter aluminum body alone increases the payload by at least 1000 lbs.   

Edited by Hempomatic, 02 September 2017 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In