50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Local time: 07:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

I'm thinking Cody would not like that. Cody would be our son. Lol.
Although you all have me thinking about a small trailer...maybe. it's not just space though. Our camper has been heavily used and is showing wear. However, a small trailer might be the thing that gets us through for another year or so. Getting a super truss extension is big money but cheaper than a new RV.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#22 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

A new 7k lb rated tandem 14' enclosed is about $4k and 16' is $5k. A SuperHitch and SuperTruss are about $1K for the pair if new. If you're not in hurry, you can pick these items up for less on the used market. Cody could have his own "teen pad" or you would have a "man cave" and you would have a garage for your water sport and trekking gear. You could even outfit the trailer with batteries and solar to make boon docking comfortable. Use this link for some ideas: http://www.tnttt.com...5ce61dd9cb124a8

The money you saved by not buying a camping trailer could go into the Adventurer to fix it up or upgrade it to the things you are missing now (other than space, that's what the enclosed is for).

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#23 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

Im just not sure what way to go. So many things we love about a tc. We are going to look at the trailer model we are most interested in on Saturday afternoon. Still probably be a few months before we can do anything financially. Especially being out of work while recovering from my knee surgery yesterday.

www.thetclife.com

#24 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Ok. That was what occured to me when I read it, but it didn't seem practical, so I figured you must have inherited an Wurlitzer repair shop or something! Problem is, I never cared much for Chevy Chase, so I haven't seen his movies.

#25 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:59 AM

Tough decisions, when it comes to choosing a camper.
The camper is, after all, a second home.

Your other option is to remodel the existing camper.  New double pane windows, insulate through out, etc.

#26 OFFLINE   dvanceman

dvanceman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:camping, fishing, biking,kayaking,gardening,
  • Camper Brand:northernlite,2012
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge ram 3500,long box
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

When we retire in 3 years we are looking at a class c itsca navion or a forest river sun seeker both are 25 feet. We also want to travel the states the northern lite truck camper just doesnt have enough room. Its perfect for are trips to the rocky mountains. I will really miss the camper I like the idea of fitting into smaller spaces and separating the truck and camper. I know what your going through.

#27 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

Rich, our adventurer is great in winter. If we replace we want to stay with 4 season like we have now. We have had our camper out as cold as -16f. So no need to fix up. We can't expand space though. Just a bit more space is what we want.

www.thetclife.com

#28 OFFLINE   BPAV8R

BPAV8R

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 03:01 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Washington
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Ram 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):David

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Well, did you go trailer shopping yesterday?

#29 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

We looked briefly on Saturday. One of the dealerships gave us a quote on the camper value for trade in. With me being out of work for a few weeks from knee surgery...we need to wait a while financially. We are narrowing down what we want and like. We might look at a couple other truck campers as well still.

www.thetclife.com

#30 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

Keep t.c. and add heavy duty hitch and get a pull a long to set up as base camp and your t.v. to get way back....or go camper and give up a lot of your hiking Hobbes that u won't be able to reach
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#31 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

Keep your TC and tow a storage trailer carring your toys. For I know its a pain in the rear to get to camp and have to unload the TC. All your toys are now out side and if you want to go somewhere have to load them back. With a storage 16ft cargo trailer you can keep the toys there in one end and you have an area for you to have a small front room. Just put an A/C on the front or the top. Most in that size have a door on the side and two on the back or a drop down. That's basicly what I did with the trailer I built its for the stuff that fills the bed and dinnet area

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#32 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:09 AM

Your missing the point...I dont have a bunch of toys...I have people. I am not going to haul around another trailer just to have room for people. If i am going to do that...might as well haul around a travel trailer. We have made do for a long time with 3 of us and 5 dachshunds. We can continue to do that but are thinking of alternate plans...maybe or maybe not. I want to stay with a tc but damn...40K for a "slightly" bigger camper is a lot. It seems the prices of campers keeps going up. Eventually, they will prices themselves out. Yeah, I can get a cheap camper but then I cant do winter camping the way we like. So, cheap wont work. We sit outside most of the time but when we want to go inside...it would be nice to have just a bit more room. Not a lot but a little. That is where a bigger camper would be perfect. My wallet...does not think so though.

www.thetclife.com

#33 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:37 AM

My suggestion was a man cave trailer. This is where you set up your easy chair, fridge and TV. It won't be long before it's no longer so cool to travel with Mom and Pop and your third man will be seeking activities with his peers instead...

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#34 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

yea, we call it 'pre-snow bird'

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#35 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

My suggestion was a man cave trailer. This is where you set up your easy chair, fridge and TV. It won't be long before it's no longer so cool to travel with Mom and Pop and your third man will be seeking activities with his peers instead...

That works during mild weather...winter...might tend to be like an ice box. Of course I could then plumb in a little space heater that vents outside.

I am kicking that idea around though. It would be nice to take our bikes (pedal kind lol) and a couple other things that is hard to do now.

I actually put on the camper the tie down extension bars from Torklift so that the camper can slide all the way forward in my bed.. For the fastguns to clear the dually fender flare on my Dodge I have to have that extension bar for them. I bought them when I got the Dodge but since I set it back for the storage area...I have not used them. It basically extends the mounting point for the tie downs.

If I move the camper forward all the way I would not need much of an extension to tow. With a utility trailer I would not need that front storage space.

Oh, and as far as Cody not wanting to be with mom and dad...we are aware of things to come. We do have 2 adult kids as well. One will make us a grandparent the end of this year.

www.thetclife.com

#36 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

This is the bar I am talking about that I have had but just now installed to check things out.

http://www.torklift....mper-anchor-kit

www.thetclife.com

#37 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

basicly what I was talking about. Elec from the TC and you have power for tv, heat, a/c, chairs a man cave, or ladys cave. And somewhere to carrier the bikes and kayak and what ever you need out of the TC. It can be the family room on wheels for a 1/3 the cost and you can keep the TC. Ideas we all have never get bored with us.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#38 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

Ha ha...yeah...we all have ideas. It is what can be done that is another issue. lol

We are looking at different utility trailers. We could always use one for other things as well. I do not want something huge. Looks like average cost for the size we are interested in is right around 2 - 3k.

this one is listed at $2800.00 but I like it from armchair research.

https://spokane.crai...6253641281.html

www.thetclife.com

#39 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:11 AM

1. If you can get a torsion axle model, it will tow better over rough terrain since each wheel will move independently over bumps.

2. Get the longest tongue possible so making sharp turns does not allow the trailer and camper to touch.

3. Consider what you want to carry in your trailer. That size trailer will weigh 750-1000 lbs empty to roughly figure out remaining available trailer payload.

4. WA requires trailers rated at 3000 lbs or more to have to have brakes. The cheap trailers may have 3500 lb axles, but be rated for 2995 lbs so they do not have to have brakes installed.

5. Spare tires are not standard equipment. You won't need one until the day you do not have one. I've used my spare twice in the last 50k miles.

#40 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

Pete;

I do not need to carry anything heavy really. Yeah it all adds up but I am not interested in carrying a motorcycle or anything like that. Mostly bulky items.  Brakes...that is important to me for sure. I see that one example does not state that for sure so I sent in an email asking about it.  Again...I am just fact gathering. Your input is excellent as I know you  are very knowledgeable about these things.  

www.thetclife.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In