50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Directors
  • 3636 posts
  • Local time: 04:08 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

​ Could it be? Say it aint so. Could I really be looking at travel trailers? What would be come of me? Do I lose my Truck camper friends? Will others point and giggle and mumble under their breaths? What about my handle "The TC Life"? That just would not make sense. So many thoughts come to my mind yet...we are still casually looking at travel trailers.

​ We have looked at a few and keep coming back to the Outdoors RV Back Country Series Black Rock. We love to RV year round, yes in the cold as well. That brand of trailer is truly rated for 4 seasons. It also offers a better suspension system than any other trailer I have seen so far. They are also not HUGE in length trailers, the one we are interested in is the 23' length.

​ Well this happen in the next few weeks if even at all? Well, who knows but the ideas are going through my mind. I suppose I will have to ask some questions on a trailer forum but the truck camper is always in my heart.

​ So before you start hissing or throwing rotten tomatoes just keep in mind...I am only thinking about it.

<p>love everyday like you won the lotto.<br><br><a class="bbc_url" href="http://thetclife.wor...ife.com</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

#2 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 726 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:35 AM

and another one turns to the 'DARK SIDE'. :happy0045:

ha ha ha - join the club

PS - we sold our 'piece of s--t Outfitter and now have no RV of any type.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#3 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Directors
  • 3636 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

We are gathering information on them right now. We want a true 4 season RV for sure, nothing else will do. I wont even waste our time looking at anything else. I really like the Outdoors RV made in La Grande Oregon so far.

No turning to the dark side yet though. lol!

<p>love everyday like you won the lotto.<br><br><a class="bbc_url" href="http://thetclife.wor...ife.com</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

#4 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2106 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:08 AM

You will limit yourself to the number of campsites available to you.

Many older parks were designed for tent campers, parking spaces are sloped and sized for one vehicle.  You can cross those off your list.

Yet many people do manage with larger rigs and competition for sites is a consideration.

#5 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Directors
  • 3636 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:17 AM

Yes, that is why we are looking for no longer than 24 foot. The TC is far more easier to get in small spaces obviously and that is why we love them. The prices for the campers are getting so expensive though. For a 9 foot camper with 1 slide its in the 40k range. That is simply getting out of our budget range. Our camper now is still great but with heavy use...it is showing. A price range of high 20k up to 30k is more realistic for us. Sure there are a few truck campers that are cheaper but again, they are not as good as a 4 season camper. Even a tc that is not 4 season is of no value to us.

<p> </p>
<p> </p>

#6 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1321 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

Our 22' bumper pull toy hauler had a 4' tongue making it 26' overall. With the axles farther back on a TH, it maneuvered like a longer trailer but with less tail swing. Ours was the full 8.5' wide model which also had to be considered in tight turns. Height on the toy hauler was about 11' which is typical for truck campers, so you will find that a travel trailer roof sits lower than your current truck camper.

I think a 24' or less will work for you, but you may want keep width a consideration too. I think the R-Pods are popular not only because they don't catch as much air behind the tow vehicle, but because they can fit into narrower campsites.

Your DRW will be overkill for the size trailer you want. I think you will need carry some weight in the back of the truck to smooth out the ride because the tongue weight alone will not do it.

Have you considered building out an enclosed trailer for more living and storage space while keeping your TC?

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, diamond plate, galvanized rims with Load Range E radials, 10k lb equalizing hitch with sway control, vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, group 29 battery, portable dual 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, dual 4'x6'x3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss and short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cabover, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 439 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:55 PM

You mean our 40 foot whale won't fit the bill?  Makes a great 2nd home for Sally but it needs LARGE pull throughs and back in sites.  At 67 feet overall it's a site filler.   Not taking it to Alaska next trip as our 31' 5er was to big for several campgrounds, let alone a site to put it in.  Had fun but camping up north is way different then in the lower 48 states.  We decided to keep our Lance Camper to tour the northern Yukon and Alaska in 2019.   Unavick, Prudoe Bay etc.  

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#8 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Directors
  • 3636 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

It really is about inside space. We do not need a whole lot more but the costs...wow. Again, this is nothing that will hapen anytime soon if at all. We are simply researching. We might go look at the floor plan of the trailer we are interested in on Saturday. Just depends on how my knee feels after surgery today.

<p> </p>
<p> </p>

#9 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 726 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

yea, but you are looking and thinking about it. once you get the 'bug' it just a matter of time.

amen about cost of a new TC. I am retired so money is an issue.  :happy0064:

robbing banks is not an option.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#10 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1882 posts
  • Local time: 05:08 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2007 Artic Fox - 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

So when do we stop talking to him......... Oh I know of a good bank to....... Cant talk about that shhhhh

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2007 Artic Fox 990 Wet weight 4785+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Toolbox on Tongue of the trailer and a 14' Jon Boat on the converted Tow Dolly with the Bike's on the front of the rig.

VisitedStatesMap.jpg sml_gallery_5475_268_240.jpghttp://www.youtube.c...h?v=xVRGH9vN434 On the pallet Jack.

#11 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1321 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

I sold all my spare working organs. I figured with all the advancements in modern science, I'd better sell them while someone still wanted to buy them. Smartest thing I ever did.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, diamond plate, galvanized rims with Load Range E radials, 10k lb equalizing hitch with sway control, vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, group 29 battery, portable dual 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, dual 4'x6'x3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss and short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cabover, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 486 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '96 Jayco 256SL Eagle TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Tough call. Good luck with whatever you decide. It is nice to get the tt situated in a site and free-up the truck for exploring. 2 or 3 steps to get in or out isn't bad either, and gets better over the years.

Bedlam-" I sold all my spare working organs." Please explain?

#13 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 439 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

You didn't know Pete works as a Minister and sold all the Churches organs to buy personal toys.  He skated on a technicality.   

Think he was being funny.   I laughed.  

George

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#14 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1321 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

From this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120434/

Read this reference: https://en.wikiquote...on#Cousin_Eddie

If you want more, watch this: https://www.youtube....h?v=XMxAATsf088

#15 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Directors
  • 3636 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:17 AM

I was thinking I could sell an organ to raise funds but a kidney wouldn't work since I have had one taken out already. That one wasn't worth anything though. I kind of need the other one. Lol.
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

#16 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1321 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:40 AM

You need sell more than a just a kidney to afford these new truck campers.

#17 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Directors
  • 3636 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

Ha ha...ain't that the truth. Time to hit the streets and raise my prices.
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

#18 OFFLINE   BPAV8R

BPAV8R

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Washington
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Ram 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):David

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

I think a lot of us have been in the same predicament. I had an 8 foot tc, and then an 11 footer. We decided we wanted more room and stepped up to an Arctic Fox 29v tt. Although the space and storage was awesome, we found that we just weren't as mobile as we would like. I found there were a lot of places on a trip we wouldn't go to because of uncertain ingress and egress. Thinking of making a change, we looked at class c motorhomes, fifth wheels, travel trailers, and truck campers. In the end we had to just look at what our main use would be. I liked to be able to bring the toys along, drift boat, atv's, or bicycles. I also liked the lack of stress a truck camper provides by knowing I can get it in and out of pretty much anywhere the truck would fit other than height.

I ordered, and two weeks ago picked up our new 2017 Arctic Fox 1140. We just got back from a one week break in trip from Spokane, through northern Idaho, northwestern Montana, and down to Salmon, Idaho. We really enjoyed the trip and camper, and several things reaffirmed our decision. By Libby, Montana while pulling into a campground we saw a gentleman back his motorhome into a tree. In Polson, Montana we saw a fifth wheel trying to squeeze into a site that was probably designed for something about four feet shorter. We decided to drive into Bigfork, Montana to check it out and got into town and were faced with a low bridge that we couldn't clear. I turned around in the middle of main street, we walked around town, and got some huckleberry icecream. As we were leaving town, my wife asked me what we would have done about the bridge if we were pulling the travel trailer. After I thought about it a minute, I said we wouldn't have gone into town because I wouldn't have been sure if we could get around. That is when we both knew we had made the right decision in sticking with a truck camper. Besides, it would have been a shame to miss out on the huckleberry icecream.

Have fun shopping.

#19 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1882 posts
  • Local time: 05:08 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2007 Artic Fox - 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Here is my answer to storage also can take my jon boat which slides in under those doors.

adv116ds00001.JPG

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2007 Artic Fox 990 Wet weight 4785+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Toolbox on Tongue of the trailer and a 14' Jon Boat on the converted Tow Dolly with the Bike's on the front of the rig.

VisitedStatesMap.jpg sml_gallery_5475_268_240.jpghttp://www.youtube.c...h?v=xVRGH9vN434 On the pallet Jack.

#20 OFFLINE   BPAV8R

BPAV8R

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Washington
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Ram 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):David

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

KnightEagle - Now that is how to roll!