#1 OFFLINE   DCR

DCR

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 12:00 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Midwest
  • Camper Brand:Palomino-SunLite
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC Double Cab(6.5' box)

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

Hi,

I've had a short-bed pop-up on several trucks, works fine w/o tailgate. Looking to upgrade to a newer camper, but am only finding 8' longbeds. The tailgate on my 14 Silverado slants up on the back so I would have to build up the bed, not sure there would be much weight (or too much) on tailgate. Also would the TG get road rashed(truck is as new 19K miles). OK to mount without tailgate(would extend 20")??

Center of gravity on these LB' are 30" to 37"(Good) and weights are manageable(pack light, Timbrens Tork Lifts. etc.) 

Thanks!!

#2 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • Local time: 06:00 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

We ran a 7' Palomino on a 6.5' Silverado bed for a couple seasons. We raised the camper, a Dakota model, to clear the cab, and put spacers under the rails to make the bed take most of the load, but resting on the tailgate at the end. We did not get any roadrash on the tailgate, though I suppose you could. Those lightweight popups aren't all that robust in construction, so I really wanted the end supported where I stepped on the threshold to enter the camper. It didn't seem to cause an problems. Just don't overload the tailgate.

#3 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

Given you can keep horizontal CG close to the rear axle, these are some other issues I see:

1. I doubt a camper without a basement has much support under the floor where it would hang. The camper sidewalls may also buckle at the stress point. If you have to build a platform under the floor to get clearance for the bed rails or cab, that would give you the support you need on the underside.

2. if the camper was made for a long bed, the rear tie down points will be too far to the rear. You will need to add tie down eyelets forward of the truck tail lights so you are not rocking the camper on the rear edge of the truck bed.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In