ddurham

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:00 PM
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Name (Public):ddurham

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

I need a fairly light pickup camper because I haul a trailer with a race car in the summer.  But I'd like to use the rig in the winter, including places where it might be cold/snowy.  Does a pop up camper work in these situations? It doesn't have to be toasty warm in there, but it will need to withstand cold temperatures and snow.  Just basically comfortable and where the plumbing doesnt freeze.  will this work?  Are there certain brands or options on brands that will make this better?   Thanks  

#2 OFFLINE   dvanceman

dvanceman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 08:00 AM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:camping, fishing, biking,kayaking,gardening,
  • Camper Brand:northernlite,2012
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge ram 3500,long box
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:05 AM

Hallmark campers in Colorado family owned and great service. Lots of choices of how to build your camper check out there web site.

#3 OFFLINE   ARSMITH

ARSMITH

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Alabama
  • Interests:Motorsports & Classic Cars.
  • Camper Brand:PALOMINO BRONCO 1500
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):ANDY SMITH

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

JMO!

Pop-up/ soft side campers and motorsports don't mix well together unless you're a sound sleeper or like to wear earplugs at night. When we pull in the track the truck windows go down and we're looking and listen for loud generators to park away from. Most racers do not invest in quiet generators. With a hard side camper this wouldn't be such a big issue.

We use mattress warmers and electric blankets and only use the heater when we're up taking showers and getting dressed.This cuts down on condensation in the camper. This is in cold to freezing temps no snow unrated Palomino truck camper.  

If I buy another pop-up truck camper it will be a Hallmark.  Check out Hallmark website they have a few used campers that may fit your needs. Just a warning these are the high end of Pop-up truck campers. 

Just want to add a camper equipped with a cassette toilet comes in very handy at the race track.  There great for one to two people and can be emptied easily in to a Port-O-Potty or pit bathroom. Another added benefit is you don't have to worry about it freezing up like you would grey and black tanks.

The camper your looking for would be a four seasons rated camper. I think these come with heated and insulated basement?  

Andy :)   

#4 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 825 posts
  • Local time: 07:00 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

JMO!

Pop-up/ soft side campers and motorsports don't mix well together unless you're a sound sleeper or like to wear earplugs at night. When we pull in the track the truck windows go down and we're looking and listen for loud generators to park away from. Most racers do not invest in quiet generators. With a hard side camper this wouldn't be such a big issue.

We use mattress warmers and electric blankets and only use the heater when we're up taking showers and getting dressed.This cuts down on condensation in the camper. This is in cold to freezing temps no snow unrated Palomino truck camper.  

If I buy another pop-up truck camper it will be a Hallmark.  Check out Hallmark website they have a few used campers that may fit your needs. Just a warning these are the high end of Pop-up truck campers. 

Just want to add a camper equipped with a cassette toilet comes in very handy at the race track.  There great for one to two people and can be emptied easily in to a Port-O-Potty or pit bathroom. Another added benefit is you don't have to worry about it freezing up like you would grey and black tanks.

The camper your looking for would be a four seasons rated camper. I think these come with heated and insulated basement?  

If you are interested in a Hallmark, this one https://billings.cra...6200977362.html seemed like a pretty  good deal.  

#5 OFFLINE   ARSMITH

ARSMITH

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Alabama
  • Interests:Motorsports & Classic Cars.
  • Camper Brand:PALOMINO BRONCO 1500
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):ANDY SMITH

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:19 AM

Thanks,

When I pull the trigger and go camper shopping I hope I can afford something newer, say a 2010-2014 maybe a 2016 put that's really pushing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In