Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Viewing Hells Canyon from the Idaho side?

tents

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson

Grand Potentate

• Moderators
  • 370 posts
  • Local time: 01:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Ford F350 Crew Cab dually
  • Name (Public):Rick Johnson

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

I'm asking this in several places.

Looking to spend nearly 3 weeks in Idaho prior to the total eclipse. I have some good ideas so far and trying to plan mostly mountain camping. 

However... Hells Canyon seems like a must see gorge since it is deeper than the Grand Canyon. As I check out the Nez Perce forest map, one of the possibilities is to take FR 517 to Seven Devils Campground. Here are the issues or questions I have:

From the web site for the campground: "Forest Road 517 is very steep and narrow. Low clearance vehicles, RVs, and vehicles pulling trailers are not recommended OR advised to use caution when traveling the upper sections of this road".

I have a high clearance F350 that performs quite well as long as the road is not strewn with boulders, etc. Anyone have experience with getting a heavy TC in there?

Also, and this is even more discouraging: 10 tent-only campsites. Really????

If I can get my rig in there, why can't I camp in my TC there? If there is parking at a campsite, I'm usually good. Google satellite view looks very reasonable for a TC.

Do you think if I asked at the Riggins Hells Canyon Nat'l Rec Area office, they would be of any help?

Many Thanks in advance for your advice.

Rick

2004 F-350 Crew Cab 4WD Dually w/ Airlift air bags, Luverne brush guard, side steps and splash guards.
2007 LanceMax 1181 with nearly every option, enlarged cabover space (driver's side locker omitted), wider custom mattress.

#2 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Local time: 12:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:25 AM

Curious of the responses that you get. There is very little access really from the Oregon or Idaho side to the canyons edge. A few spots that are boat in but my TC doesnt float very well, or at least I dont think it would.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#3 OFFLINE   karenhuntz

karenhuntz

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 09:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:or

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

I lurk here, while I dream of owning a truck and camper. I've been to 7 devils, and on the road you describe. Its a pretty typical NW BLM road. It's on my list of places I want to go when I have a rig, and why I won't get a van or low clearance vehicle.  They keep it well graded, you will have no problems with your rig as long as you don't have issues with heights.(referring to cliffs) and good brakes/gears for the downhill run.  I'm guessing its described as tent sites because it is not developed, no electric available, vaults only. So as long as you can boondock, you will be fine. I would recommend going to the end of the road, where you have a million dollar view of the canyon. (the turn around is flat, hint hint). While the canyon is deeper than Grand Canyon at this point, you won't be able to directly look down, you have to backpack/long steep day hike to get to the fire lookout with the loooong drop to the river. People in Riggins will definitely know about your needs, whether they will help is another matter. (had a bad experience backpacking the first week of hunting season in the 7 devils. ) I will be in total blackout for the eclipse (salem, or) but still wondering where to watch since we will be inundated from people around the world. Other places to check out in that neighborhood include Troy, OR (Wenaha) and Owyhee canyons. Hat Point in Oregon also has a beautiful view of Hells Canyon, with a similar steep dirt road. Wallowa Lake with the surrounding mountains is called Little Switzerland for a reason, but its hard to find a site there on a normal August, never mind this year.  Have fun, just remember you can't pump your gas here in OR (but you won't pay sales tax, either)

Karen

#4 OFFLINE   Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson

Grand Potentate

• Moderators
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

I lurk here, while I dream of owning a truck and camper. I've been to 7 devils, and on the road you describe. Its a pretty typical NW BLM road. It's on my list of places I want to go when I have a rig, and why I won't get a van or low clearance vehicle.  They keep it well graded, you will have no problems with your rig as long as you don't have issues with heights.(referring to cliffs) and good brakes/gears for the downhill run.  I'm guessing its described as tent sites because it is not developed, no electric available, vaults only. So as long as you can boondock, you will be fine. I would recommend going to the end of the road, where you have a million dollar view of the canyon. (the turn around is flat, hint hint). While the canyon is deeper than Grand Canyon at this point, you won't be able to directly look down, you have to backpack/long steep day hike to get to the fire lookout with the loooong drop to the river. People in Riggins will definitely know about your needs, whether they will help is another matter. (had a bad experience backpacking the first week of hunting season in the 7 devils. ) I will be in total blackout for the eclipse (salem, or) but still wondering where to watch since we will be inundated from people around the world. Other places to check out in that neighborhood include Troy, OR (Wenaha) and Owyhee canyons. Hat Point in Oregon also has a beautiful view of Hells Canyon, with a similar steep dirt road. Wallowa Lake with the surrounding mountains is called Little Switzerland for a reason, but its hard to find a site there on a normal August, never mind this year.  Have fun, just remember you can't pump your gas here in OR (but you won't pay sales tax, either)

Karen

Thanks Karen. I was hoping someone like yourself would have the "on the ground" experience. I have become aware that the view all the way down to the river is difficult to get to.

I have been to western Oregon, Crater Lake, Portland, etc., so I know about the diesel pumping protocol. I'll have to decide later about your Oregon recommendations vs. stuff to see in Idaho.

Again, Thanks.

Rick

2004 F-350 Crew Cab 4WD Dually w/ Airlift air bags, Luverne brush guard, side steps and splash guards.
2007 LanceMax 1181 with nearly every option, enlarged cabover space (driver's side locker omitted), wider custom mattress.

#5 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 447 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

You are permitted to pump your own diesel fuel in OR.  I was surprised my last visit a hadful of weeks ago from WA to SW OR that when I got fuel there was no pump jockey at the diesel pumps or if there was they gave me the option of pumping myself since I was a diesel rig.  

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#6 OFFLINE   Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson

Grand Potentate

• Moderators
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

UPDATE:

Driving there is not a big issue for the most part. I got a nice reply from Karen to one of my posts and I read about the road in a book "Backcountry Roads Idaho" by Lynna Howard. 

As far as the tent only aspect of Seven Devils campground, the Riggins office said that the nearby Windy Saddle campground can be used for trailers and TCs.People drive trailers in there all the time especially horse trailers. Windy Saddle is designed to support horses. Now I'm concerned about flies, etc. there.

Tent only camping is enforced in the Seven Devils. Didn't say why, just that is the way it is.

Rick

#7 OFFLINE   karenhuntz

karenhuntz

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 09:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:or

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:23 PM

Don't worry about flies. There's a reason its called windy saddle. I think it would be a popular glider launch spot if it was easier to get to. There might still be the bones of a RV that went up the road, that couldn't make it back down. The rangers are tired of rescuing people up there. If it isn't already on your list, check out Steen's Mountain in SE Oregon. Rough road to the top, but O, the view!

Karen

Edited by karenhuntz, 08 July 2017 - 04:24 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

Rick - I am based in the Lewiston/Clarkston Valley for work and will check with my co-workers on Monday about other possibilities for camping. I know several of them know the area very well also. I will be in the LC Valley in our fifth wheel during the eclipse. Should be interesting. 

FYI - take a jet boat ride down the Snake River to Hells Canyon Dam while you are there!

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In