Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Local time: 08:06 PM
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:Bigfoot 2500 9.4 SB
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC K2500HD

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

I have a 2006 Bigfoot camper (no slides) and have noticed recently that mosquitoes seem to be getting into my unit at night.  At suppertime we get rid of all bugs that manage to get in during the day so the place is clean when we go to sleep.  In the morning we ate covered in bites and the headliner has dozens of skeeters roosting on it.  How are they getting into our camper?  I can lay awake at nights looking for possible points of entry but have not discovered anything yet.

In addition we are not protected at all from no-see-ums which are so tiny that they just crawl through our existing screens, (on windows, fan & roof vents etc.)  I plan on replacing the screens very soon to a finer mesh but this will not solve how mosquitoes are getting in.

Do other owners have experience with areas on campers where the bugs have potential entry points that they have since bug-proofed?  Can they get in through the air conditioner unit on the roof, furnace, fridge, water heater???

Scratching my head right now.

And - no, I do not want to start using any chemicals inside my camper because I do not want to be breathing this stuff in.  I want to seal it up, even if it takes a lot of work.  I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

#2 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 428 posts
  • Local time: 07:06 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:49 PM

Couple ideas.  You can have a dealer tent the camper and locate any access points.  Or/also get an indoor bug zapper.  We have one that works very well. But it is AC so you need shore power.  It stays on watch while you sleep unless the occasional popping will wake you up when one of the buggers get's fried.

Perhaps the range hood exhaust vent external flapper is hanging open and letting them in.  Must be pretty buggy where you are if they appear each morning like you left the door open all night.

Good Luck,

George

Twisp, WA

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#3 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 817 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

We had a brand new NL on our trip in Alaska and at Kenai, we got eaten alive!  We found they were coming in at night around the crank handle on the fan- billions at least.  We duct taped it up and then just had to deal with the millions that snuck in when we opened the door.  Solution was to drive to a more inland campground.

Incidentally, lysol wipes took the blood stained carcasses off the white carpet like stuff on the walls without leaving stains behind.  

#4 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1287 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:49 AM

Keeping the windows closed and the vents running on exhaust help keep out on-see-under yet still allow airflow.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, diamond plate, galvanized rims with Load Range E radials, 10k lb equalizing hitch with sway control, vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, group 29 battery, portable dual 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, dual 4'x6'x3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss and short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cabover, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   blackmaxx

blackmaxx

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the answers from all!

Mr. Firewood - What does "tenting the camper" mean?

The hood exhaust vent does not have a flapper at all - yikes.  I thought it did but I must have been thinking of our prior camper or else it just fell off.  Off to the RV dealer tomorrow for a new one.

I'll get the screen too and that will be my day tomorrow.

Again - Thanks.  I'll let you all know how things work when I get this stuff done.

#6 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • Local time: 10:06 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:35 AM

My camper doesn't have a gasket at the door threshold, it's more like a brush.  When we were in Maine, the mosquitos were SWARMING and a few got in overnight when we left the door open and just kept the screen door closed.  You can spray the bottom of the door with bug killer, that seemed to help.  If we're at a campsite with electric, we use the A/C and button everything up tight, but if boondocking, we can't do that.  My generator only runs MAYBE 2 hours.  No-see-ums on the other hand are pretty much impossible to avoid on some level.  They can get through most screens.  

Has anyone used a rechargeable bug zapper?   

Edited by Hempomatic, 13 June 2017 - 03:01 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 13 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

I've had the little biting buggers get through a head net.  Would Thermacell repellant be acceptable?  It works fairly well.  Another option would be spraying your screens with a permethrin insecticide.  When it dries, it's quite odorless but still kills any insect that touches it.  Cities use it to kill mosquitoes.

#8 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2102 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

The http://Coleman SkinS...nsect Repellent works against no seeum's.

We got rid of the other repellents.

#9 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario
  • Interests:Traveling in Canada & wintering in Arizona
  • Camper Brand:2011 Lance 1191
  • Truck Make & Model:07 3500 Dodge
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:55 AM

They would get into our citation camper through the fantastic fan until I ran a bead of white silicone around the opening on the inside.

#10 OFFLINE   blackmaxx

blackmaxx

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Update on the fan hood.  After a more thorough inspection, the fan hood does have some sort of a flapper door BUT it is just behind the aluminum screen of the vent hood over the stove (inside the duct where it is impossible to reach).  I looked at it closely and there is tons of room for even mosquitoes to get in.  There are no "flaps" that I can button down from the outside as the design simply does not have them at all on the outside.  So I will use a towel in the future and will see how that works.  It will be a bit of a nuisance for when we cook on the stove (to temporarily remove it) but if it stops bugs getting in, it is worth it.

Got all of the screens replaced with the finer 20/20 mesh - fingers crossed.

I will look into the spraying methods discussed earlier.

Thanks all!

update - installed 20/20 fine screen over the outside hole for the fan hood.  excellent fix

Edited by blackmaxx, Today, 06:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In