Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

'89 S&S Truck Camper - where's the water pump?

water pump location

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   colind

colind

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 09:58 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Washington
  • Camper Brand:S&S
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250
  • Name (Public):Colin

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Hello - 

I've used this forum frequently and so far it's been awesome!  Now, unfortunately, I'm needing to reach out for help... 

Does anyone know where the location for the water pump is for an '89 S&S truck camper?  We've got an 8.5' truck camper with the traditional S&S bubble windows, and we're getting water spitting out of the tap when we turn the pump on and turn on the faucet, rather than a normal stream of running water.  I'm guessing there's a leak on the intake side of the pump, but I can't find the pump to actually inspect it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

#2 OFFLINE   McGyver

McGyver

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 08:58 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Arizona
  • Camper Brand:1991 Six Pac 78
  • Truck Make & Model:1965 Chevy C-10

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

Not sure about the S&S, but (and not being disrespectful here in any way) it has to be between the tank and the faucet. Try and trace the lines. Mine (in a 91 Six Pac model 78S) is located under the bunk step mounted upside down. If you look inside you would never see it unless you got down on all fours and looked under the step area.

If all else fails, maybe you can have someone turn the pump on and off, while you trace the location by sound/feel (from the pump vibration).

Hope it helps...Good Luck with the camper! Mine took a little work when I got it, but it works and looks great now.

#3 OFFLINE   colind

colind

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Washington
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250
  • Name (Public):Colin

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

Yep, spot on!  It was right under the main bed step, up against the cab.  Fortunately, my issue wasn't even really an issue.  I didn't realize at the time that the city water hookup doesn't tie in with the holding tank, but only the water lines to the faucet and toilet.  So, long story short, the tank was bone dry.  Once I found the potable water hookup, problem was solved.  :)  

Thanks for the reply!

#4 OFFLINE   McGyver

McGyver

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 08:58 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Arizona
  • Camper Brand:1991 Six Pac 78
  • Truck Make & Model:1965 Chevy C-10

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

Not a problem...2 years ago when I got my camper off of craigslist, while it was in pretty decent shape, there was some stuff that needed addressed.

I had some questions about the equipment inside and out, as well as the water system and electrical (12v and 120v). I went to one truck camper forum, posted my questions and waited...When I went to check back 5 days later, there were 98 views and no replies...It kind of bothered me that at least one of those Viewers might have had the info I needed and declined to respond...Such is life.

It seems like sometimes people get so wrapped up in all the New campers and such, that the old ones tend to get forgotten. I just wanted to try and help if possible.

Have Fun getting yours ready to go...I am currently working on replacing the front end on my Truck so that we can go out the first weekend of June.

Take Care and Check Six!

McGyver

#5 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 02:58 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:37 AM

Shore water usually bypasses the FW tank.  Now, once you've used the FW tank on your travel, continue to use it and refill it instead of the shore hookup.  If you let the water in the FW tank get stale, the chlorine will evaporate, and bacteria will grow.  They are usually sulfur or iron bacteria, both of which are harmless, but they tend to stink.  Many years ago, we let the tank water get old, and what came out of the water heater was really skunky.  Our vacation was interrupted until we re-sterilized the water tank, lines, and heater; and rinsed out the bleach.  It's a little thing you only go through once.

When you winterize, blow that shore water line with <45psi air.  There's a check valve in there so the RV antifreeze you run through your pump doesn't get in that short section.  If it's not blown out, it can freeze and crack.

To minimize the spitting when using shore water, fill your hose with water before attaching it to your camper fitting.  You look a bit like the Statue of Liberty while holding the hose end up while filling it, but it works.

#6 OFFLINE   bbmt

bbmt

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Truck Make & Model:1991 chevy k2500
  • Name (Public):bob

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

Yes,no,and maybe>LOL.My 91 S&S has pump in same place,but has a access door to open,worthless,can just see the pump,cannot do anything with it unless remove the step.Even though it is a 91,it is self draining,remove the lines caps,on the lines under the water heater(external,in wheelwell),and run pump till dry.Been trying to kill this pump for ten years,but will not fail,or freeze.If you use city water,almost never goes bad,except in the water heater,or anything else metal,Always drain water heater.I hate this camper,yet love it at same time,S&S did some good things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In