• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 09:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Idaho
  • Camper Brand:SixPac
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Dodge 2500 SRW 4x4
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

Howdy folks!  I'm about to dive into re-wiring my newly acquired 1989 SixPac camper.  Currently the camper has a 110 input with a two breaker box, a non-charging converter, a few lights, and no battery compartment of it's own, although it will accommodate one in the wheel well.  There are a grand total of two fuses, one of which runs the range vent hood, under cabinet light, furnace fan and fridge.  The other is a couple of lights alone.  As far as I can tell, running lights and camper electrical are sharing a ground.

The camper will be used primarily for boondocking, but usually only for 3-5 days.  Once or twice a year there will be longer trips with frequent stays in campgrounds.

The system I am considering is a replacement converter/charger (Boondocker 45amp?), two Grp 27 agm deep cycle batteries, and 200 watts of solar.  I'm also adding a Maxxair thermostatically controlled fan.

A couple of questions:  First, the current converter doesn't output to the batteries at all, and only powers the camper systems when a converter/battery switch is flipped on the wall.  With that set-up, how would a Boondocker feed the batteries?  For that matter, is the converter/battery switch just a simple battery disconnect?

Next, would it be cleaner to pull the current AC breaker box and replace both it and the DC fuse block (two fuses) with a small power/converter system?

Finally, waste of money?  Should I just keep the old converter, add the batteries and solar and a stand alone smart charger to plug into the camper AC when plugged in?

#2 OFFLINE   McGyver

McGyver

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 08:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Arizona
  • Camper Brand:1991 Six Pac 78
  • Truck Make & Model:1965 Chevy C-10

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

I will be following this, as I have a 1991 Six-Pac that I have some questions about. I keep popping one of those fuses for the lights and I'm not sure why. I actually contacted Six-Pac asking if they had a camper wiring diagram (like how the wiring actually ran throughout the camper) but they said that it really varied from model to model, year to year and it wasn't something they kept notes on, especially after they stopped making campers.

Some I have spoken to have said it is a ground issue, but I have to chase the problem down somewhere. If you get into your campers innards, PLEASE take some pics and post them...It is a lot easier to figure out where stuff is running if the skin is peeled back...  ;)

As for a converter...Not sure. I know there is the electrical fuze box under the drivers side rear basement compartment. But I have not seen a 12v converter on mine (or I didn't look in the right spot, or know what I was looking for). I have ran wires back from the alternator thru a battery isolator solenoid that charge the camper batteries (2 each 6v batts) when I am driving.

If you need a copy of the owners manual, they are online, but if you can't find them I can always send a copy of mine. I also have the docs for the fridge, stove, and heater as well...

Good luck!

Edited by McGyver, 02 May 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:30 AM

If you're going to rewire the whole TC, consider using at least one gauge heavier than original for everything.  You won't be interested in absolute lowest cost, and the difference in price won't be very much.  I did that when I rewired an old pickup.

#4 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:21 AM

McGyver     You mention that poping fuse's in the lights? best way to find it is to remove all light fixtures once done place a new fuse in and start re wiring the lights one by one. Example try each light till it lights then try the next one till you trip the fuse. What it sounds like a staple or screw or even a nail has shorted out the line. have you had mice? that makes finding it harder and fixing even more so.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#5 OFFLINE   McGyver

McGyver

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 08:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Arizona
  • Camper Brand:1991 Six Pac 78
  • Truck Make & Model:1965 Chevy C-10

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

McGyver     You mention that poping fuse's in the lights? best way to find it is to remove all light fixtures once done place a new fuse in and start re wiring the lights one by one. Example try each light till it lights then try the next one till you trip the fuse. What it sounds like a staple or screw or even a nail has shorted out the line. have you had mice? that makes finding it harder and fixing even more so.

No, no mice, but I did do some wood work and moulding work inside, so I very easily could have hit a wire with the brad gun...Thanks, I will try it and see if it works out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In